How Can I Make the Novacaine Wear Off Faster?

NYPDwife

DIS Veteran
I went to the dentist for fillings today and had to have 3 shots of novacaine b/c I'm just sucky when it comes to pain. Anyway, three hours have passed, I'm starving and I've already chewed a hole in my bottom lip from trying to eat my dinner. Is there a trick to getting the numb feeling to go away?

Not that I know of, but there is a trick to eating. Hold a napkin on the outside of your mouth when you chew; you can feel the pressure against your fingers so that you don't bite your lip or tongue.

Once that novocaine wears off you are gonna wish it hadn't. Last time I had two cavities filled and when the novovaine wore off I was in so much pain. It sucked.

Not that I know of, but there is a trick to eating. Hold a napkin on the outside of your mouth when you chew; you can feel the pressure against your fingers so that you don't bite your lip or tongue.

Not working:confused3 I can't even feel my fingers against my lip. For now, I'm chewing with my mouth open like this
cow.gif

:laughing:

To my knowledge, there is nothing you can do. I had 3 shots 3 days ago, and it took about 5 hours till it wears off. Better you than me. :lmao:

I really HATE that stuff.

Lovely...

I'm foregoing meet the teacher night b/c I don't want to look like an idiot with swollen face and a droopy lip
drool.gif
. Besides, I met one teacher at a baseball game last week.

Pull on your ears and stick out your tongue as far as you can and roll it in a circle for 5 minutes.:thumbsup2

Pull on your ears and stick out your tongue as far as you can and roll it in a circle for 5 minutes.:thumbsup2

you forgot the part about standing on one foot (I believe the left foot for quickest results), while slowly hopping up and down and turning in a counter-clockwise direction..... :yay:

you forgot the part about standing on one foot (I believe the left foot for quickest results), while slowly hopping up and down and turning in a counter-clockwise direction..... :yay:

Oh dang it, you took it one step too far and now she'll never try it.:lmao:

The best way to get the novocaine to wear off is to get the blood circulating in that area. Novocaine most often contains a vascoconstrictor which constrics blood vessels this is helpful to control bleeding during procedures.

I would drink warm (not hot) liquids. Warm enough to get to blood circulating, but not too hot to burn yourself, remember you're still numb and can burn without feeling pain. You could also try warm compresses.

Thanks! I'm actually starting to get the pins and needles feeling in my cheek now.

keep yawning, well not a full yawn. Just move your jaw up and down as far as you can to help move the blood around.

maybe some warm soup to help in the same manner. and you wouldn' have to chew, hehehehehe.

Oh, my dentist also has a quick wearing-off version of novacaine. I am sure that is not the technical name...
Mikeeee

Oh I hate that..everytime you take a drink it rolls out one side of your mouth:rotfl: Horrible waste of wine:laughing:

You may be like me; it takes awhile for the novicaine to take effect. Last time, I had 3 shots too and still felt the drilling. Now, 3o minutes AFTER they filled the tooth, my whole HEAD was numb! I mean my eyes and everything and it was really freaky! If I ever have to have a filling again, I'm going to ask for the shot 30 minutes before they start, LOL

Marsha

You may be like me; it takes awhile for the novicaine to take effect. Last time, I had 3 shots too and still felt the drilling. Now, 3o minutes AFTER they filled the tooth, my whole HEAD was numb! I mean my eyes and everything and it was really freaky! If I ever have to have a filling again, I'm going to ask for the shot 30 minutes before they start, LOL

Marsha

That's why they kept shooting me up, b/c I could feel the drilling:scared: ! Now, it's finally wearing off, but I look like I have a busted lip b/c while I was eating dinner, I chomped down on my lip! I think the corner is also swollen b/c she stretched my mouth open so much!

This should teach me to stop eating Sugar Babies...

When I get novacaine and I want it to wear off quicker I just massage my cheek,face,lips etc and that seems to move it away from the area.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter