How Common Is Bratwurst in the US?

I'm from South Florida. I attended many Octoberfest celebrations there when I was a kid. And my Dad has German ancestory. So yes I know what a Bratwurst is. I can see where others don't know what it is. In certain areas you may not come across it.

I swear they sell a bratwurst at the Costco cafe (I think it’s somewhat regional though.)

If it’s at the Costco cafe it’s as American as pizza, churros, ice cream and hot dogs.

I swear they sell a bratwurst at the Costco cafe (I think it’s somewhat regional though.)

If it’s at the Costco cafe it’s as American as pizza, churros, ice cream and hot dogs.

They sold brats in the cafe at my local Costco until a few months ago (for the same $1.50 including a drink as their hot dogs), but I've not been to a Costco in any other part of the country, so it's possible that it was regional.

Still disappointed that they stopped selling them, as I thoroughly dislike hot dogs.

I have known about brats since I attended an Oktoberfest in NJ as a young kid. Living in NJ, Italian sausage is the most prevalent, so I had not eaten a bratwurst before age 8 or so. Since then, I've moved to CA and brats are WELL KNOWN here, both in northern and southern CA (I've lived in both).

I am never surprised at how little either Fiasco or Sean knows about food. It's a given at this point that if one of these guys is in the dining review, there will be at least one thing he hasn't either eaten or heard of. I was amused by how "exotic" Fiasco made this charcuterie out to be and pointed out several times that most items are not things he would ever eat, as though sausages, cheese, and pickles are so out there.

They sold brats in the cafe at my local Costco until a few months ago (for the same $1.50 including a drink as their hot dogs), but I've not been to a Costco in any other part of the country, so it's possible that it was regional.

Still disappointed that they stopped selling them, as I thoroughly dislike hot dogs.
Not to derail this thread but did you notice they stopped selling the Costco triple chocolate cake???

In the recent video where Steve, Deni, and Fiasco go to Disney Springs to try a few of the WonderFall seasonal menu items, I was surprised at Fiasco's lack of familiarity with bratwurst. While discussing the pretzel charcuterie board at Jock Lindsay's, he said "I've never had a brat. I think it's a German thing. Correct me if I'm wrong."

I can understand if someone has never eaten bratwurst, but it seemed odd to me that someone wouldn't really be sure what it was. However, I grew up in the Midwest where it's a staple of summer cookouts, and everyone knows what it is, so that got me thinking about whether or not it was as well known it is in other parts of the country. Is it just Fiasco, or are there areas of the US where most people don't know what bratwurst is?

Just how familiar with bratwurst are people in different parts of the US?

I grew up in New York and have had bratwurst once. People need to leave Fiasco alone, he’s actually trying now.

I grew up in New York and have had bratwurst once. People need to leave Fiasco alone, he’s actually trying now.
I don't know if he is trying yet until I hear him talk about Toledo and the food he has tried there. I think that is the one where he butchered everything. And he has been around Disney long enough to learn how to say Le Cellier.

I grew up knowing what bratwurst is. But this thread reminds me of when the Mrs. Ts company ran the "What's pierogi?" ad on TV. I used to think "Who the heck doesn't know what pierogi are?"

Since having kids, though, we find that a lot of people will ask our kids about what they're bringing in their lunches or snacks, so apparently a lot of people get used to one set of food items and just stick to them. :)

A bit off the original topic, but this reminded me of something that happened when we first moved to the Pittsburgh area after living in TN for 39 years. My husband's boss was treating us to a Pirate's game and it got to the point where they have the pierogi races in between innings. I was sitting there trying to figure out what in the heck those costumes were supposed to be. I asked if they were M & M's!! Fortunately our host was a good sport and explained what a pierogi was. I'd honestly never heard of them (and to this day don't really understand the appeal, but that's a whole other topic for debate :goodvibes )

As for the original question, while my TN upbringing didn't include indulging in pierogis, I did know what a bratwurst was. But moving north did introduce us to several new foods I'd never heard of so depending on where someone grew up, I'm sure it's possible to not be familiar with them.

I wasn't picking on Fiasco; his unfamiliarity with bratwurst simply made me curious to find out in what areas of the country bratwurst is/isn't known.
Not speaking for the poster, but I believe it was a case of "don't pile on the rabbit". I also think he's trying, as are the others - I think they've seen the comments, and are paying attention. Deni and Steve actually alluded to that in one of their recent videos (think it was the Wonder-Fall Disney Springs one). I say give the guy (and others) a chance to reset and correct. We ALL deserve a chance - I know I sure do, at times! If they don't pay attention/correct, THEN unleash the Hounds of Hell upon their Mortal Souls! :)

*sigh*

I'm going to try this one more time....

This post was NOT intended as a criticism of Fiasco. His unfamiliarity just made me reconsider the idea that bratwurst was as ubiquitous as I'd always thought. I wasn't criticizing his knowledge; instead, I was looking to improve my own by asking how familiar people really are with bratwurst across the country.

I would love to read more people's responses from around the country, but if this is just going to devolve into "Don't pick on Fiasco." vs "Fiasco sucks." rather than a discussion of people's own experiences with regional bratwurst familiarity, then I'd prefer if the mods just closed this thread.

I can say from my experience, the presence of bratwurst in major supermarkets in some states is seasonal (fall and summer only). I don't see it very much in winter or spring.

Our local Costco (in Southern CA) never had bratwurst or Italian sausage at the food court. We have hot dogs and "polish sausage" (not kielbasa...just a spicier hot dog).

*sigh*

I'm going to try this one more time....

This post was NOT intended as a criticism of Fiasco. His unfamiliarity just made me reconsider the idea that bratwurst was as ubiquitous as I'd always thought. I wasn't criticizing his knowledge; instead, I was looking to improve my own by asking how familiar people really are with bratwurst across the country.

I would love to read more people's responses from around the country, but if this is just going to devolve into "Don't pick on Fiasco." vs "Fiasco sucks." rather than a discussion of people's own experiences with regional bratwurst familiarity, then I'd prefer if the mods just closed this thread.
Oh - I TOTALLY understood your motivation, and AGREED with you that I knew you weren't "piling on". Sorry if my post didn't communicate that correctly. Seems like we are both struggling with the feebleness of mere words. :(

Oh - I TOTALLY understood your motivation, and AGREED with you that I knew you weren't "piling on". Sorry if my post didn't communicate that correctly. Seems like we are both struggling with the feebleness of mere words. :(

No worries. Sorry I misinterpreted your post. When I read "give the guy a chance," it felt like another post thinking I was being unfair to Fiasco.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter