How do people my age afford to go to Disney so much?!

To summarize, I don't see how nonrich working households that gross <$60k/year can visit WDW year after year without accruing credit card debt, skimping retirement contributions, and/or forgoing saving for kids' college.

I don't think it is the same households showing up year after year, but the demographics of people in those income range means that you just have a larger pool of families that make those lower incomes than families that make the upper incomes.

I haven’t looked at the streetlight data link in any detail. But wanted to point out that income is not always indicative of wealth. I know many people who have low income because, frankly, they can afford not to work.

Disney seems to be a vacation destination where lots of grandparents, parents of grown children, etc. treat their family to. This is just based on personal experience and the experience of friends and co-workers. 20% of the people who are in my department at work either benefitted from parents taking them or took and paid for their grown children to go. (I work in an IT area that supports /makes enhancements to a medical claims system.)

Disney seems to be a vacation destination where lots of grandparents, parents of grown children, etc. treat their family to. This is just based on personal experience and the experience of friends and co-workers. 20% of the people who are in my department at work either benefitted from parents taking them or took and paid for their grown children to go. (I work in an IT area that supports /makes enhancements to a medical claims system.)
My sister and her husband have taken their grown kids and grand kids

My answer to this question is not appropriate for this site, lol. 🤣 I know a handful of instagrammers personally. Many have sponsors, is all I will say.

I'd bet there are far more two income professional families at Disney than single mothers holding a retail job. Most of the people I know who go to Disney regularly - lets see - one VP of Marketing at a Fortune 500 with a stay at home wife, one surgeon, one computer programmer married to a lawyer, one cardiologist married to a nurse practitioner (none of these are me, by the way), one highly paid financial analyst, one statistician.

Disney historically has done poorly in attracting affluent travelers. In recent years, they've focused heavily on the segment with some success, but the bread & butter of its core domestic traveler is still the working class. Reality is, there's far more people at WDW who are overindulging than there are affluent, luxury travelers. I've spent my working career in finance, and most of my co-workers - who could more "easily" digest the cost of a WDW vacation that the typical visitor - feel that one vacation to WDW is enough for their kids (and many others wouldn't even go). And they aren't overindulging.

Reality is, people who are good at managing their money aren't going to fill their week with dinners at the Hoop-Dee-Doo, Polynesian Luau, Ohana, Chief Mickey's, Cape May Cafe, Boma and Crystal Palace - instead, they'll eat at one or two of those options, and fill the rest of their week with lower-cost options, including off-site. But for Disney's core repeat guests, that's not magical enough! Ultimately, people need to put WDW into perspective: it's a one-week (+/-) vacation. Yes, it's a good time, but you certainly don't need to overindulge to have a good time. And if you aren't financially fit to begin with, you shouldn't be going -- if the several thousand dollars you'll be spending would be better invested elsewhere in your life, don't go, and plan a low-cost trip elsewhere.

I spent way more to go to Disney with my boyfriend (granted, there was an extra $600 in plane fare when I forfeited my flight) than I did 2 years ago 10 days in England. Then again, I stayed in hostels. I am 65, still working full time and on paper a millionaire (tech stocks bought in the 80's). Disney was not my affluent family of birth thing - too tacky, too much mingling with the unwashed (their attitude, not mine!) As for me, when I found 2 grand that was not earmarked for anything - I started making my plans and talking to travel agents.

Disney historically has done poorly in attracting affluent travelers. In recent years, they've focused heavily on the segment with some success, but the bread & butter of its core domestic traveler is still the working class. Reality is, there's far more people at WDW who are overindulging than there are affluent, luxury travelers. I've spent my working career in finance, and most of my co-workers - who could more "easily" digest the cost of a WDW vacation that the typical visitor - feel that one vacation to WDW is enough for their kids (and many others wouldn't even go). And they aren't overindulging.

Reality is, people who are good at managing their money aren't going to fill their week with dinners at the Hoop-Dee-Doo, Polynesian Luau, Ohana, Chief Mickey's, Cape May Cafe, Boma and Crystal Palace - instead, they'll eat at one or two of those options, and fill the rest of their week with lower-cost options, including off-site. But for Disney's core repeat guests, that's not magical enough! Ultimately, people need to put WDW into perspective: it's a one-week (+/-) vacation. Yes, it's a good time, but you certainly don't need to overindulge to have a good time. And if you aren't financially fit to begin with, you shouldn't be going -- if the several thousand dollars you'll be spending would be better invested elsewhere in your life, don't go, and plan a low-cost trip elsewhere.

I think you all are missing my point. Yes, the middle class. But the upper middle class over the single mom working at Wall Mart. Two income families over single income families. Income statistics as a whole don't apply to this board because the most common income (modal income) in America is something like $8000 - and who here makes $8000. The average Disney guest is the wrong population for this board because the average Disney guest is either a day tripper or going for a once or twice in a lifetime trip - that isn't many people here. And because there are people pushing the average up because they make $500M, who here makes $500M? Does Disney have a problem attracting affluent customers - well, it depends on how you define affluent. The number of Deluxe hotel rooms booked says there are people who can spend $500 a night or more on a hotel room - or go over to the DVC board - there are lots of people who own over 1000 DVC points (that's about $100,000 in resale value). The number of signature restaurants booked says there are people who aren't eating at Peco's Bills. The number of $50 a person character breakfast sold says that there are people who disposable income. There may not be as many of them as Disney would like - because honestly, they'd rather have more of them. And accountants and teachers and software developers are the working class. But the lowest household income quartile tops out at $24,638 (2017) - 20% of Americans make less than that (and that's pretty close to the poverty line for a family of four). We can cut those people out of visiting Disney - and being regulars on this board - almost completely. Tickets alone aren't affordable except perhaps as a splurge, much less hotel rooms, travel - you'll certainly get some regional day guests - and of course theme park employees and college students in that range, and those with wealth whose income is low, but are living off their wealth. On the other hand, the top quartile starts at $104,000 - that isn't really affluent - no one has gold toilets on $104,000 a year, but that does permit a family to make regular Disney trips if that's their thing - unless they live in a really high COL area.

There is a huge middle ground between affluent and poor. Affluent people don't go to Disney as much as Disney would like. Poor people can't go at all.

I'm 28 and have gone 1-2x a year for the past 6 years since graduating from college. I've learned A LOT on these boards, I plan far in advance, do Disney pretty bare bones, use Swagbucks/Sam's Club/Target for gift card deals. I have a Disney Visa that I put a majority of my purchases on and then pay it off immediately use those points for park tickets/dining/ after hour events. I mostly stay in value or moderate resorts, last time my boyfriend and I stayed at AKL but only because they were running the Fun & Sun (?) resort discount. I get two weeks paid vacation at my job so I choose to travel during non-peak season times when they are usually offering some type of discount. We did a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise in Sept. since it was during hurricane season it was significantly less expensive and I was able to save an additional $700 using gift card deals, could have been more if I had started planning earlier in advance. It's truly possible if you're making a decent income and are willing to get a little crafty!

Yeah, I have known families with kids that have trips paid for by their parents, as a way for the parents to have their grandchildren join them down in Florida.

I always thought, man, must be nice. But the scary part is there are people out there that are doing worse than their parents and the only way they can enjoy the typical upper middle class life is to constantly get gifts from their parents. And that statistic is going to keep growing.

Yeah, I have known families with kids that have trips paid for by their parents, as a way for the parents to have their grandchildren join them down in Florida.

I always thought, man, must be nice. But the scary part is there are people out there that are doing worse than their parents and the only way they can enjoy the typical upper middle class life is to constantly get gifts from their parents. And that statistic is going to keep growing.

Although that isn't new. I have several sets of friends (I'm in my mid 50s) who lived like that until their parents passed - a few who still do because their parents haven't passed yet. - and their parents still have the wealth to do so. I think that you are right and that will keep growing, but I was always astounded by how many people I knew who were in their 40s and their parents were supplementing their standard of living.

Its nice when its things you can do without - like getting a vacation - or things with a limited lifespan - like if your parents supplement your kids education costs. But when you are 40 years old and your parents supplement your mortgage - and the money is running out....that's a problem

Although that isn't new. I have several sets of friends (I'm in my mid 50s) who lived like that until their parents passed - a few who still do because their parents haven't passed yet. - and their parents still have the wealth to do so. I think that you are right and that will keep growing, but I was always astounded by how many people I knew who were in their 40s and their parents were supplementing their standard of living.

My first paycheck after college in the early 90's was already bigger than both my parents' combined. I'm guessing that is becoming rare and in reality I don't expect my kids to surpass me. But I did not steer them from possible careers that they will love just so they can make better money at careers that they do not enjoy. I was totally salary focused in my career choice because I grew up lower class. They grew up upper middle class and have no idea what it means to be underprivileged. Who knows what the future holds. Guess I hope they are happy, and I am not broke constantly helping them.

I am in my mid 20s. College graduate, professional job, but still low on the totem pole. I follow a lot of people on Instagram who go to Disney like 5 times a year. And I get it if you live close and can drive, which I used to, so I went more frequently. Now I have to fly. A particular person I follow has to fly. And she goes multiple times a year! And I don't get how!

Let me say that I'm not hating on these people in any way, I ask this question because I WISH I could do that! Like how do you get that much time off? How do you afford that many flights? They go on weekends, which isn't always the cheapest time to fly. Obviously they have annual passes, which I plan on getting, but it's still mind boggling!

I totally get how people who are older afford it, as they probably make a lot more money than me, have more time off accrued, etc.

I'm guessing maybe credit cards? Man, I wish I knew how to go that much because I would!

Do they live close and are annual pass holders? We looked at buying an annual pass but since we live far away the cost of travel was prohibitive. I would imagine a lot of annual pass holders are Florida residents or live close by. For us to visit WDW 5 times a year would cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Or save like crazy and work like crazy to establish yourself in a career before you have kids in your 30s and go to Europe with them when you are in your 40s and making good money. Then when they are in college, you can continue to travel. Which is what we did and are doing. Last year it was London, Amsterdam, Sydney and Tanzania.
We went to London and South Africa with our college kids during summer 2019 and did a 5 day Christmas cruise to the Bahamas in 2018 . I was trying to squeeze in as much quality family time as I could before my oldest graduated and moved away. Sigh. I miss him!

How was Tanzania?!?! I looked at safaris in Tanzania and Kenya but chose South Africa because it was easier on our budget. I’d love to go again some day!

Some additional info: our 2 kids will graduate debt free from in state universities because we paid into 529 prepaid tuition accounts for years and years. My small teachers salary is enough to cash flow their room and board, leaving DH’s salary for the rest of our household expenses, savings and travel. The cruise - the 4 of us stayed in an interior cabin with bunkbeds so we could afford to purchase the the alcohol package for all of us. Part of the Africa lodging was Marriott rewards points earned through credit card travel hacking. We also stayed in super affordable SA National Park lodging, then splurged the last two nights for a true full service safari camp. I know how to streeeetch a dollar!!!!

Last edited:
Tanzania was incredible. We booked this trip through Costco...https://www.costcotravel.com/Specialty/Offers/LWTDISCTANZANIA20160923. We saw rhinos in the wild! And so many lions and elephants and giraffes. I'd do another safari again in a heartbeat, it was really life changing. I probably won't go back to Sydney any time soon, although I did get to see Madame Butterfly at the opera house and see all sorts of strange animals - it wasn't expensive when we got there, but getting there isn't cheap. London is a yearly thing - my husband has a conference he speaks at there (that's also how I got to Sydney), so I go for the cost of airfare and food - my husband's airfare is paid for - then we usually add on a few days somewhere we can get to cheap (although last year we couldn't - timing wasn't good). I love London. I retired at 50, and then sort of fell into owning half a business that I can work a few hours from home and like you - cashflow the room and board and my travel plus my various hobbies - and the tuition was saved for by moving all those daycare costs straight into 529s - when they moved out of the infant room, that extra money went into the 529, when it was just after school care - into the 529. When they were done with daycare..... And being in my semi retired work from home state with grown children, I can grab my laptop and follow my husband - just have to make sure my still at home adult son will be home for the dog.

It can be done - even by relatively middle class families. But yeah, you do need to know how to take advantage of whatever deals get thrown your direction and stretch you dollars - and save. And unlike some other people here, our Disney trips are not frequent - its too expensive for what we get! Unlike my friends, our dining and drinking out has been relatively limited, and we only had two kids because we thought we could only afford to put two through college 22 years ago.

Tanzania was incredible. We booked this trip through Costco...https://www.costcotravel.com/Specialty/Offers/LWTDISCTANZANIA20160923. We saw rhinos in the wild! And so many lions and elephants and giraffes. I'd do another safari again in a heartbeat, it was really life changing. I probably won't go back to Sydney any time soon, although I did get to see Madame Butterfly at the opera house and see all sorts of strange animals - it wasn't expensive when we got there, but getting there isn't cheap. London is a yearly thing - my husband has a conference he speaks at there (that's also how I got to Sydney), so I go for the cost of airfare and food - my husband's airfare is paid for - then we usually add on a few days somewhere we can get to cheap (although last year we couldn't - timing wasn't good). I love London. I retired at 50, and then sort of fell into owning half a business that I can work a few hours from home and like you - cashflow the room and board and my travel plus my various hobbies - and the tuition was saved for by moving all those daycare costs straight into 529s - when they moved out of the infant room, that extra money went into the 529, when it was just after school care - into the 529. When they were done with daycare..... And being in my semi retired work from home state with grown children, I can grab my laptop and follow my husband - just have to make sure my still at home adult son will be home for the dog.

It can be done - even by relatively middle class families. But yeah, you do need to know how to take advantage of whatever deals get thrown your direction and stretch you dollars - and save. And unlike some other people here, our Disney trips are not frequent - its too expensive for what we get! Unlike my friends, our dining and drinking out has been relatively limited, and we only had two kids because we thought we could only afford to put two through college 22 years ago.
Your Tanzania tour itinerary and lodging looks AMAZING!!!! Thanks for sharing the link!

We did London for 3 days on the front end (family room at London House Hotel - hop on/hop off bus tour, Tower of London, boat cruise on the Thames, rock and roll walking tour, evensong at Westminster Abbey, Churchill’s War Rooms), then stayed 9 days in South Africa (5 nights at Protea Marriott Hazyview, 2 nights at Tamboti Tented Camp and 2 nights at Shindzela Tented Camp). We were really glad that we went to 3 different areas in Kruger Park because we saw so many animals both in variety (big 5 multiple times plus tons of others) and number (huge herds)! In addition to the 8 guided game drives (5 private), we also did the Panorama Route, visited an elephant sanctuary (girls), went to a Shangaan tribal dinner, played golf (boys). It was truly amazing!!! It took me 4 years to save up the money. Our trip budget was originally $10,000 all in for 4 people, but the flights were more expensive than we planned. It ended up costing us $12,000 total. Worth every penny!

I was talking to my parents last night about a family Disney trip. My parents are the millionaires next door that you hear Dave Ramsey talk about. My dad was a small town accountant and my mom was a nurse, but they invested aggressively and we didn’t take big vacations. Growing up we took 1 family trip to WDW, and I went another couple times with my church youth group, so we weren’t regulars despite living in Alabama and Orlando only being a 7 hour drive.

Both of my parents have since retired and they have budgeted $20k/year for travel, so I’ve been leaning hard on them to rent a DVC villa and take all of us. We all know that tickets tend to be the more expensive item. I was pricing a trip for my family of 5 and the tickets alone were $2500.

I make good money, and my fiancée makes good money so we are the people that could splurge on a big Disney trip every year if we wanted to. We haven’t decided if we are going to do an annual trip or not once we are married. I’m a big fan of using credit cards smartly to offset the costs as well as finding GC deals. People who run up debt for a vacation are definitely doing it wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter