• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you choose a resort?

For us it is really about what we are going to be doing this trip. We are DVC members for price is really not an issue for us. It will really depend on what we are trying to do during this trip. If we are spending more time at MK we tend to stay at BLT since that is our favorite resort. If it more of an adult trip and we are eating at Epcot most nights we tend the stay at BWV or BCV. We prefer to be walking to from the resorts if possible and not have to worry about the buses as much as possible.

I decide based on proximity to the theme parks that I've the most interest in as well as ease of transportation.
Currently the monorail hotels are my best bests but that doesn't mean I'm adverse to those closest to Disney Springs and Epcot for the future.

My original thought was an MK/EP resort split - ideally Poly/BC. But, DH wants a cheaper trip than last June. So it's probably going to be either Pop or a mod for 5-6 days and then deluxe for 7-8 days. I'm torn between sticking with our favorites or trying something different. I get worried we'll be disappointed if we don't stick with our favorites. :o I'm very indecisive and overthink everything. DH is no help because he doesn't care as long as it's cheaper than this year. :rolleyes2

I start with my budget, and the focus of our trip. I know that the Deluxe resorts are pretty darn sweet, but there is a lot to be said for some of the moderates. I have never stayed at a value, so I cannot comment on one of them.

I think that for a trip the length that you are planning I would start with a moderate that has a theme I like. Personally, POFQ is my favorite. I enjoy the size of the resort, and fine the atmosphere charming. The pool is small and while I like it, older kids may be bored. I liked CSR, and woudl encourage you to check out that resort thread to see where construction is and if it woudl impact you. This resort offers a lot for families, and is very nice. If you chose a moderate at the front end of the trip, maybe that is the time you could be park heavy. WE start our hitting the parks for longer stretches in the beginning of our stay, and spend more time at the resort as our trip evolves.

Swap out the resort for a deluxe later in the trip. Your savings will be there. I will add that resort preferences are always personal, and even within our family we are not all on the same page. My DH is pretty worried we are dragging our nieces to a hovel next December for our extended family trip. The Beach Club is a hovel?????? He hates it, and is convinced it is not in Disney! LOL!!! Now these two would be happy anywhere they stayed, and we are all looking forward to experiencing Disney through Jenna's eyes (She just married into our family and has never been)
We told them to choose any resort, and after a lot of research, discussion with my daughter and more pictures seen than I can even imagine they chose Beach Club. DH says it is not on the monorail line, therefore they are not going to like it! LOL!!! "Suck it up Buttercup, you gave them the choice!" LOL!

What ever you choose, I think you will be fine. Moderates have a lot to offers and IMO can compete in many aspects to a Deluxe.

Last time, we chose POFQ because of the smaller size... we were tired of crowds after staying at All Star Music with a high school group. Other times, I have chosen based on cost and tried something new. I think next time, we will stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge because we love AK and I think we would really love the vibe there.

Our favourites are Beach Club, Boardwalk Inn, Grand Floridian and Animal Kingdom Lodge. DH and I have a different order of preference (me: BWI, BC, GF, AKL; him: GF, BC, BWI, AKL) so we usually alternate between us each time as to who gets to pick. Then it depends on whether there are rooms available for our pick. Sometimes we agree on a selection (last year we mutually decided on AKL).

We, by that I mean I, choose based on which one my heart is yearning for. We have only stayed at POR, AKL, BC and CR. And only once each. But I just chose the one I wanted to experience the most at the time. And yes, we could have had longer trips at less pricey resorts, but the resort we stay at is a big part of our vacation. We don’t just commando things, we enjoy the whole experience.

Combination of budget and atmosphere/"feel"/layout.

My fave is POFQ. I love that pretty, quaint and charming feel, the grounds, the small size. I would be happy to stay there every time.

I've felt the need to cut back on cost more recently and looked at the Values. I gave POP a try this year and like it (going back there next year). I booked Preferred and had a great location in the 70s (my favorite section).

Location-wise I love the Epcot resorts (esp. Beach Club), but I'd rather be able to go every year.

I usually travel with extended family, and we like to stay in the same resort. So we look at 1) what time of the year we're going and what the discounts are for that time of year, 2) specific budget needs over the whole size of our party, and 3) plans that are specific to that year's trip (which includes time of year and whether or not we'd use a pool).

So, we'll look at resorts with discounts that make the stay affordable to everyone in our party, then we cull down resorts based on our plans. If we're going to spend a lot of time in MK, if there's a monorail loop resort with a great discount, that's our spot. If we're park hopping during F&W, resorts in the boardwalk area are our spot. If we're not park hopping and have a larger party with a more limited budget, moderates are our choice (usually POR, as we love access via boat to DS).

I'm on a quest to stay in all the resorts at least once. Since DH and I don't have any kids yet and the budget allows it, we're making our way through the deluxe resorts. Last trip was poly and now my husband tells me 'if we're not staying on the monorail, we have to stay offsite.' I think I'm spoiling him. Our next trip we are staying at the GF. I almost switched to the YC, but I know the deal I got won't come around often and Disney prices are only going to go up, so were sticking with it!

With our family it usually works if each person picks one thing which is most important to them. For instance, my mother cares most about the QS location, and my sister likes a substantial theme. Myself and other family typically go for easier access to the parks.

AKL tends to win out even though is it not especially accessible to the parks and it has become a family favorite.

First it's budget, this next trip is a small pre trip before our Disney Cruise just 4 nights and budge was tight so we are staying at POP
Then it's actually time of year our trip for next year is during dreaded Christmas break, I chose CR with a theme park view, it more about convince and view, their pool doesn't look incredible but we will use it.

If we are staying 10 days I try to get a 1 bedroom, like a DVC I like the washer dryer and having a oven to heat up left overs or make breakfast in occasion

We always rent a truck, just easier with my electric scooter so transportation isn't that important but I use it if it works easy with my scooter

We choose a different resort everything but this will be my 2nd trip to pop my sis has never stayed there
Our next summer trip will be beach club

We love the Port Orleans resorts, so we always check pricing there first. So, while we have our favorites, budget is truly the deciding factor.
The exception is the Princess Half Marathon weekend; I am dead set on having a princess room for the whole theme, which came to AoA Little Mermaid Room or POR Royal Room. Since 3 of us are going and my boyfriend is exceptionally tall, we opted for POR for the queen beds, even if it's a bit more expensive.
I've stayed at both before :)

I start with my budget, and the focus of our trip. I know that the Deluxe resorts are pretty darn sweet, but there is a lot to be said for some of the moderates. I have never stayed at a value, so I cannot comment on one of them.

I think that for a trip the length that you are planning I would start with a moderate that has a theme I like. Personally, POFQ is my favorite. I enjoy the size of the resort, and fine the atmosphere charming. The pool is small and while I like it, older kids may be bored. I liked CSR, and woudl encourage you to check out that resort thread to see where construction is and if it woudl impact you. This resort offers a lot for families, and is very nice. If you chose a moderate at the front end of the trip, maybe that is the time you could be park heavy. WE start our hitting the parks for longer stretches in the beginning of our stay, and spend more time at the resort as our trip evolves.

Swap out the resort for a deluxe later in the trip. Your savings will be there. I will add that resort preferences are always personal, and even within our family we are not all on the same page. My DH is pretty worried we are dragging our nieces to a hovel next December for our extended family trip. The Beach Club is a hovel?????? He hates it, and is convinced it is not in Disney! LOL!!! Now these two would be happy anywhere they stayed, and we are all looking forward to experiencing Disney through Jenna's eyes (She just married into our family and has never been)
We told them to choose any resort, and after a lot of research, discussion with my daughter and more pictures seen than I can even imagine they chose Beach Club. DH says it is not on the monorail line, therefore they are not going to like it! LOL!!! "Suck it up Buttercup, you gave them the choice!" LOL!

What ever you choose, I think you will be fine. Moderates have a lot to offers and IMO can compete in many aspects to a Deluxe.

I've thought about trying one of the PO resorts because so many here speak highly of them, but when I look at pictures I just can't get excited about either one. If the pool is small, DD probably would be bored with it. She was bored with the pool at AKL because of the "tiny" slide (She may be a little spoiled because of Stormalong Bay...).

We have stayed at CBR once (hate it) and CSR 3 times (love it) but DH doesn't really think the benefits of CSR are worth the money over Pop now with the renovated rooms. CSR has the pool slide, nice hot tub and great transportation, but we love the size of Pop and the food court is better. I think as long as the discount is decent I could probably swing him either way (that would require me to make a choice though haha).

BC a hovel??? Has he ever stayed there? When we took our first family trip a few years ago, we decided on BC because of recommendations from friends and family, but I have to admit I wasn't super excited about it before the trip, but once we got there, we were in love with it! I've stayed at BC, YC, GF, Poly, AKL and WL and BC is our favorite. Walking to two parks is amazing, it's better than being on the monorail!! Plus, that pool! I'm sure your nieces will love it.

We definitely want deluxe for the second part of our stay. We've wanted to try Poly for a longer trip (only stayed there 2 nights before) but it would be hard to stray from BC...so a Poly/BC split would be ideal, but DH won't go for that for next year unfortunately.

I've thought about trying one of the PO resorts because so many here speak highly of them, but when I look at pictures I just can't get excited about either one. If the pool is small, DD probably would be bored with it. She was bored with the pool at AKL because of the "tiny" slide (She may be a little spoiled because of Stormalong Bay...).

We have stayed at CBR once (hate it) and CSR 3 times (love it) but DH doesn't really think the benefits of CSR are worth the money over Pop now with the renovated rooms. CSR has the pool slide, nice hot tub and great transportation, but we love the size of Pop and the food court is better. I think as long as the discount is decent I could probably swing him either way (that would require me to make a choice though haha).

BC a hovel??? Has he ever stayed there? When we took our first family trip a few years ago, we decided on BC because of recommendations from friends and family, but I have to admit I wasn't super excited about it before the trip, but once we got there, we were in love with it! I've stayed at BC, YC, GF, Poly, AKL and WL and BC is our favorite. Walking to two parks is amazing, it's better than being on the monorail!! Plus, that pool! I'm sure your nieces will love it.

We definitely want deluxe for the second part of our stay. We've wanted to try Poly for a longer trip (only stayed there 2 nights before) but it would be hard to stray from BC...so a Poly/BC split would be ideal, but DH won't go for that for next year unfortunately.

We did a Poly/BC split last trip. We enjoyed our time at the Poly but my kids were underwhelmed by the pool. They preferred the pool at CBR. Truthfully I didn't care for the Poly pool either. Once we got to the BC we were blown away. My kids stayed in the pool two days while we hit Epcot. I couldn't get them away from the pool. We actually skipped our water park day so they could enjoy the pool. I agree that the convenience of walking to two parks beats the monorail.

I'm doing a mother/daughter trip next year. I'm debating on doing value the entire trip to save some cash but we are huge pool people and love a good pool slide (and good pool side drinks!). DD12 says we probably won't swim that much so she doesn't care but I told her it's still warm in November. She mentioned GF when we were thinking of going in August and taking advantage of the Labor Day deals so I was thinking GF/BC split. But I don't think I'll be able to swing GF so I'm thinking POFQ/BC split. I would prefer to be in the Epcot area if I'm only doing one deluxe on the split. We shall see. It really will depend on what deal I can get through my TA.

I like to resort hop and since I make all the plans, that's what we do. ;)

So far we've stayed at WL, POFQ, AS Music, AKL, BC, YC, and Coronado. We used to stay at hotels near Downtown Disney but haven't done so in several years. Next trip is at POP. After that I am eyeing the Boardwalk. :scratchin

We go every few years with extended family and on those trips we rent a house offsite so we can all be together.

My DH has stayed at the BC with us, We booked CL that time. He is one odd duck, isn't he? To be honest, he just did not like the layout, did not care one way or another about the proximity to Epcot, and felt we were starving him because the club level breakfast is "not food". He feels that unless we are on a monorail resort we are not in Disney. He did agree that our AKL stay was perfect, so I give up! LOL! I guess I could have worse things to complain about.

I'm doing a mother/daughter trip next year. I'm debating on doing value the entire trip to save some cash but we are huge pool people and love a good pool slide (and good pool side drinks!). DD12 says we probably won't swim that much so she doesn't care but I told her it's still warm in November. She mentioned GF when we were thinking of going in August and taking advantage of the Labor Day deals so I was thinking GF/BC split. But I don't think I'll be able to swing GF so I'm thinking POFQ/BC split. I would prefer to be in the Epcot area if I'm only doing one deluxe on the split. We shall see. It really will depend on what deal I can get through my TA.
My DGD said the Grand is her favorite resort. My DD was shocked to hear that from her when they were at the Poly last summer. If I was planning a special Nana/Kady trip I would book the Grand and I would not look back.

My DH has stayed at the BC with us, We booked CL that time. He is one odd duck, isn't he? To be honest, he just did not like the layout, did not care one way or another about the proximity to Epcot, and felt we were starving him because the club level breakfast is "not food". He feels that unless we are on a monorail resort we are not in Disney. He did agree that our AKL stay was perfect, so I give up! LOL! I guess I could have worse things to complain about.

My DGD said the Grand is her favorite resort. My DD was shocked to hear that from her when they were at the Poly last summer. If I was planning a special Nana/Kady trip I would book the Grand and I would not look back.

I have to see the price for GF in November. If we were still doing August I would do it with the Labor Day Exclusive. I could do a POFQ/GF split if the price is right. I should know prices by next month.

We did a Poly/BC split last trip. We enjoyed our time at the Poly but my kids were underwhelmed by the pool. They preferred the pool at CBR. Truthfully I didn't care for the Poly pool either. Once we got to the BC we were blown away. My kids stayed in the pool two days while we hit Epcot. I couldn't get them away from the pool. We actually skipped our water park day so they could enjoy the pool. I agree that the convenience of walking to two parks beats the monorail.

I am so ready for the discounts to come out for the rest of 2018. I hope they don't go up as much as they did from 2016 to 2017.

We would like to stay at all of the resorts so for each trip, we talk about the ones we have yet to do and decide if we want to do one of those or go with an old favorite. Our "stand-by" resorts are definitely Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans Riverside. I'm a big fan of Caribbean Beach but it's not really my husband's favorite so it's not as much of a fall back at WL and POR. With our favorites, we really enjoy how calm and laid back the atmosphere is. It's nice to have something relaxing before and after a fun but very busy park day.

Mostly budget. For the most part I can't justify paying more than for a value resort so we have generally stayed at Pop (the All Stars don't really interest me). Depending on the deal, we have stayed at a moderate a couple of times. I didn't like Port Orleans as much, so we have gone back to CBR. I'd love to stay at the Poly or Beach Club though. And we have splurged for the Fort Wilderness cabins which are probably my most favorite of all the resorts. Just love it there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter