How early are flight times scheduled?

toonaspie

Just a poser
Is this different for each airline? I'm looking to fly Southwest in Oct 2018 but they don't have flight schedules that far out yet. This is somewhat (nay very) critical in my reservations for my Disney vacay (hotel, restaraunts, etc) because the amount of direct flights I can choose from is very limited for me. I would have to decide how many hours of work I need to take off as well.

It depends on what airport you're flying out of and what airport you're flying into. It can also depends on when you're flying.

On a side note: do you want a direct flight or a non-stop flight? Make sure you understand the difference.

I don't think any of the airlines are going to have times/flights listed until about 11 months before the actual flight dates.

This year's schedule might give you some rough ideas? Just make sure you're looking at the same days of the week (example - leave on a Thursday, fly home on a Wednesday) to have the best chance of a estimate of what to expect.

"Legacy" airlines (Delta, United, American, etc) usually release their flights 331 days ahead of time on a rolling schedule (So you can book a flight 331 days from today today but need to wait until tomorrow to book a flight 331 days from tomorrow). Southwest (and some others) release flight in "chunks". You can currently book on Southwest through March 7, 2018. On July 27, they'll open up through April 6, 2018.

I'm finding that with SW, the non stop flight times change often. What you see now will not likely be what you see a year from now. Delta seems to be more consistent with their non stop flight times.

We're flying in April 2018 - so far only one company has released flights for that month, and it's not one we like to use (too expensive.) But it shouldn't be an issue to find out flight times a month or two before you're able to book ADRs, they should certainly be released by then. Now is just too early, your best guess is, like others have said, seeing what they're offering this year for flight times in October 2017.

We're flying in April 2018 - so far only one company has released flights for that month, and it's not one we like to use (too expensive.) But it shouldn't be an issue to find out flight times a month or two before you're able to book ADRs, they should certainly be released by then. Now is just too early, your best guess is, like others have said, seeing what they're offering this year for flight times in October 2017.

Delta, United, AA have released dates beyond the end of April. Possibly others. Definitely more than one company.

Delta, United, AA have released dates beyond the end of April. Possibly others. Definitely more than one company.

That may be true for your departing airport, but it's not for mine. Not that we have all of those airlines anyways - it's really dependent on where you're flying from. Also, I'm realizing I said April instead of May. But regardless, very little has been released for us. AA, yes, but that's pretty much it and they're always overpriced where we fly from.

That may be true for your departing airport, but it's not for mine. Not that we have all of those airlines anyways - it's really dependent on where you're flying from.

No, it is true for any airport that those airlines fly from - they don't release their flights on a rolling basis based on airport.

I will agree that it does depend on what airlines fly out of your airport. I hadn't realised that there were airports in the US that have none of the main legacy airlines (or their subsidiaries) flying out of it - learn something new everyday.

I'm finding that with SW, the non stop flight times change often. What you see now will not likely be what you see a year from now. Delta seems to be more consistent with their non stop flight times.

This is so true. We booked our SW flights the day they came out for our January flights and the non stop flights and number of them dropped dramatically from when we flew previously in May and last January. So i guess it will be very hard to plan if flying SW as they typically release flights 7 months in advance.

No, it is true for any airport that those airlines fly from - they don't release their flights on a rolling basis based on airport.

I will agree that it does depend on what airlines fly out of your airport. I hadn't realised that there were airports in the US that have none of the main legacy airlines (or their subsidiaries) flying out of it - learn something new everyday.
Yep, there definitely are. The airport we live closest two actually only has two airlines flying out of it! We often have to just drive further to use another airport.

Seems you're right about the rolling basis thing - however we generally use Spirit, Allegiant, or Frontier based on pricing (mainly Spirit), and none of them have rolled out flights for our trip yet. I assumed then that most airlines must not have done so yet, but I see that's not correct.

We are flying SWA to MCO in October and flights weren't released until April (6 months prior).

That may be true for your departing airport, but it's not for mine. Not that we have all of those airlines anyways - it's really dependent on where you're flying from

As indicated above, it's true of all three legacy carriers. If AA (or Delta, or UA) is the only legacy carrier at one's specific airport, this qualifier should be included. It helps others reading the thread.

We are flying SWA to MCO in October and flights weren't released until April (6 months prior).
SWA releases their flights on a different schedule than the legacy airlines. They have posted on their site how far out they're booking and when the next window opens.

As indicated above, it's true of all three legacy carriers. If AA (or Delta, or UA) is the only legacy carrier at one's specific airport, this qualifier should be included. It helps others reading the thread.
Uh...okay. I have never heard the term legacy carrier before. Not trying to be unhelpful, just an average not super frequent flier commenting on how things work at my local airport. I'm going to guess that you are a more frequent flier because I'm honestly not even 100% sure what you're saying here. What makes certain airlines legacy carriers? Why does someone need to insert a qualifier if their local airport only has one of them? I really don't get it. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter