How early to get to airport? How are security lines, etc.? Curbside checkin back?

Barb D

DIS Veteran
The last time we flew it was just two weeks after 9/11, and we had to get to the airport 3 hours ahead of time. And we really needed that time to get through the baggage checkin line, security, etc. How are things now? Has it settled down any? How soon in advance do we need to get to the airport?

Also, is curbside baggage checkin back?

BTW, we're flying Southwest, but with a 3yo we'll get to board early so I'm not worried about seat selection.

It depends on your airport. Go to Southwest's website. Most airlines post recommended arrival times for each airport they serve.
We always try to get there two hours before our flight time.

Curbside was back at Indy and Orlando when we flew in August. It was great. Just have your confirmation and money out and you will zip right through. We flew out of Orlando on Sun. 8/18 and the line for Southwest was very long inside we had no wait at curbside. Have a great trip!!

We returned just yesterday - flew US Air but our experience was much like bootc3's. Inside the lines were horrendous, but no one was at curbside! We got there 2 hours before the flight and then got to the gate within half an hour. So we waited a while but I was happy to avoid the stress of hurrying.

Lori

Most of this all depends if it's a peak day and peak times at the airport. We've been there in the evening and no one was at the counter and no lines in security. I've not seen a line at security since October. We have flown 5 times since 9/11 and it all depends on whether you are flying peak or not. Most airline websites have peak times listed. The worst time I've encountered is a Friday morning.

Gail, we're flying from BWI to Tampa and back. I'll check Southwest's web page, too. Thanks for that suggestion!

Barb,
You are totally welcome. Let me know if I can help further. SWA is my carrier of choice and I know their site very very well. :)

Came back from WDW Sun 9/01/02. were told to arrive 2 hours early at orlando bcuz of labor day weekend being busy. we got there at 10:45am for a 12:35pm flight we did curbside check in (lines inside were realllllly long) in 5 minutes. went through security(line looked long but moved fast) and took the shuttle and walked to our gate which was at the end by 11:10am!! we had to wait to check in at the gate(usair). Anyway I don't know about sw bcuz of their check in procedure but getting through security was a breeze even with 2 kids 8&4. Just have your tickets and picture ID ( for anyone over 18yrs.) out and ready. They keep announcing it overhead but some yahoos(like the couple in front of us in line) don't listen and that seemed to irritate the guards more than anything. have fun

Can you do curbside check in if you have e-tickets? I ordered our tickets over the web, so only have a print out of our confirmation. I'm guessing I'll need to go to the counter and check in, since technically I don't have anything to return with unless they give me a ticket or I bring two copies of the confirmation that I got on the web. Has anyone traveled using these?

Thanks,

Kim

We had no problems using curbside checkin with E-tickets (USAirways). Good luck with your flights and enjoy your vacation!

For those not boarding on SW with a preboardable child, we were surprised when we got there (August 27) 2 hours early and got a "c". We were told, that as of that day, you could now check your luggage and get your "boarding pass" hours early. Geesh..pretty soon, I might as well drive. We were told that some people came and got their passes, checked their luggage, and went home for a couple of hours, and then returned. I would call or check the web before I go..the rules seem to change often.

DMRick,
There is absolutely nothing on the website regarding what you just said. People can check their luggage and check in 4 hours early, but, they cannot get a boarding pass until 90 mins. prior to the flight. It keeps the playing field level.

WDWKim
Yes, you can curb check your luggage with an eticket. They will hand you back your eticket after they stamp it, so, you will, indeed, have something for your return. One copy will do. :)
I travel with these exclusively. What's a paper ticket? ;)

Orlando seems to have the security thing down fairly well, as does Newark. In fact recently at Newark I told people to go ahead of me as I was trying to get myself organized.

Philly is still a disaster! Plan on over an hour in line to clear security, unless you are flying First Class.

Anne

Gail,

Thanks for the info.............haven't flown in years, so I'm a real rookie at this.

Kim

Ducklite,

I'm flying out of Philly........planning on leaving a two hour window from time of arrival at airport. Our flight is on a Sat. morning at 9:30............do I need to arrive earlier than that?

Kim

Kim,

Two hours should be fine, as long as you have e-Tickets and don't need to stand in line to get checked in. If you do, add another half an hour. And that doesn't mean you can get to the airport and park two hour in advnace, that means you are IN THE TERMINAL two hours in advance.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter