How early to get to airport? How are security lines, etc.? Curbside checkin back?

Here in Phoenix SWA still recommends that you get to the airport 90 minutes ahead of time. I was talking with an agent and she said over the Thanksgiving weekend they will make it two hours (if not 3 hours) due to crowds (or at least they are hoping it is busy).

In fact, SWA will even let you use curbside with their reward tickets and other "free" tickets. It is definitely the way to go in most cases. Lines inside tend to be longer than curbside.

On my last trip ( a couple weeks ago) we were issued a boarding pass "letter" when we checked our luggage. I've never heard of someone going to the airport early to check their luggage and get their pass and then go back home. Seems a little crazy to me but I guess there are those out there.

Gail - I hope you are right about SWA only issuing the letters 90 minutes out, even with this new system. I know with the plastic cards that was the case. Otherwise with this new system, I can see how some might circumvent the system. I need to call to confirm another reservation and I will ask that question and post their answer.

SW is now issuing the letters 90 days out. The fun part about this is they now issue them in several places! So you can no longer count the number of people in line to figure out your number. At the 90 minute window you can get your "letter" at the gate, the ticket counter or the curb. Adds to the excitement. I cannot imagine that getting there early to check your luggage is going to increase your chances since I am pretty sure the "print time" for the lettered cards is computer driven. ( I tried to get one at 91 minutes out and the agent could not get it to print, since there was not a line I just stood there for a few minutes!)

Rick, if that really happened I would contact SW and complain. That means that some of thier gate agents have found a way around the system and SW would not like that! Trust me I would have let them have it and taken them to their website to show them the policy! I don't mind SW's system, but I expect everyone to play by it. (I once got a free ticket from them because I complained that they let a man board in front of me with pass #120 and I was #30. There was nothing wrong with him besides the fact that he was an a** and kept yelling at the gate agents!)

Thanks Gail for the link. As always you are right on top of things like this. Again thanks.

As an FYI, here is what the official website says:

Will Customers still be able to check luggage up to four hours before scheduled departure?

A. Southwest will still accept luggage up to four hours prior to scheduled departure. Of course, a boarding pass cannot be issued until 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

I, too, would write to SWA and complain if someone told you they were issuing boarding passes sooner than that. They need to know if this is happening.

We had the same experience as DMRick. We got to MCO earlier than expected Sept. 1 to come home and figured we'd check our luggage and get our boarding pass later at the gate. We were surprised when the agent gave us our "B" boarding passes more than two hours before our flight.

I thought maybe the departure time had changed since the last time I'd checked, but everything was status quo. Every seat was filled on the MCO to BWI leg of our return trip. Perhaps Southwest adjusts its policy when there is heavy volume.:confused:

Well, CDisney, if you got a "b" boarding pass that tells me a lot of "a" passes were given out way ahead of time.
Perhaps I will call SWA and ask what is up with this.

DCEdwards,
always happy to help. !!!!! :)

Gail - I think I will call also. They need to stick by their policy...whatever they decide it is. I will let you know what I hear from them.

Their policy (today) is boarding passes 4 hours before at the curbside if available and 4 hours at checkin. Gate is changing from 90 minutes back to 60 minutes (so the gate will have 'a's at 60 minutes when the other locations may be onto b or c

This is apparently to permit business travellers with carryon-only a chance at an 'a'

Gail, IT was a typo, that should read 90 minutes

According to what they sent me back when they first came out with the policy, the four hour window was for baggage check, but you did not get a boarding pass. I wonder if they have changed.

I talked to a SWA rep this evening as I had to confirm a flight. She said that from her notes it looks like they are only going to allow baggage check in 2 hours ahead instead of 4 hours. She wasn't sure but said it looked like to was going to be a new thing in regards to airport security -- but she couldn't say for sure.

She also told me that they were holding a passes for those checking in at the gate. Something I told her didn't seem quite fair to me as I almost always travel with luggage (as far as checking it) even when traveling alone on business. I just find it easier to check it than carry a pull on bag due to a back injury. Anyways, she said she understood. And, also said the "policy" is boarding passes are only issued 90 minutes prior even if you check your luggage sooner. But, she also said some agents don't enforce the rule, or so it seems.

After all that I've decided to call SWA Customer Service directly tomorrow and ask what is going on with the boarding passes. I will let you know what I find out. But, basically it sounds like there are rules and then there are rules that are actually enforced or not enforced. Ahhh...for simplier times.

rcomputer,
not sure where you got that info, but, this is the policy as written on the SWA site.

Q. Will Customers still be able to check luggage up to four hours before scheduled departure?
A. Southwest will still accept luggage up to four hours prior to scheduled departure. Of course, a boarding pass cannot be issued until 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

Thanks for the info, wish they had updated their website as well, or......perhaps we have an example of something similar to Disney CM's who have different answers than what the policy actually is.

Quite - a feature of most companies unfortunately - the policy is usually irrelevant by the time you are at the airport ;-(

Someone please tell me if I have this right. I have a receipt for my online tix for US air out of Philly on Wednesday 11/6 departing 1:45pm with reserved seats for me,dw,& ds. I show this receipt at curbside check in and check our bags. They stamp my receipt and we go upstairs thru security and to gate to checkin and get boarding passes? No need to stand in line and check in downstairs? I should be inside the terminal 1.5 hrs prior to departure? What is an" a", "b" boarding pass? Thank you

What is an" a", "b" boarding pass? Thank you

That refers to SW airlines ticketing procedure only.

Ed

USAir has changed their policies for so much lately, I would be inclined to call them and pose your scenario to them.

For those who fly SWA, I called and had a very extensive discussion with a customer service representative at their corporate office. Here is what he told me:

They have allocated so many "a", "b", and "c" boarding passes to the gate, curbside and the ticket counter. Yes, you can check your luggage in as much as 4 hours early and get a boarding pass issued at that time. If you do not check luggage chances are pretty good of you getting an "a" boarding pass at the gate. He also said that they are still taking a look at this policy. I voiced great disappointment in that what they are publishing is different than what they are practicing. I emphasized that I don't mind playing by the rules as long as I know the rules. In this case, they are not being totally truthful with passengers. I also expressed to him that I thought that issuing boarding passes prior to the 90 minutes was "unfair" to those of us who thought that if we get to the airport when directed we would have a good chance of getting an "a" boarding pass. He told me he agreed and understood. He also said that the more people who find out about it and call to voice their disappointment with this...the more likely SWA is to listen.

He said they are running a one month test and will then look at it again the first of October. He said at that time the rules would probably change again and that what customer thought might influence what changes would happen.

So, yes, if you go to the airport 4 hours early and check in you will probably get an "a" boarding pass...even though their written policy says that they won't issue them until 90 minutes out. Hope that helps! But, remember in October it will all change again so be sure to call and double check. And, the agents have just what is written on the website. Only at customer service in Dallas will you actually receive the "real" story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter