How Important is Use Year?

candyls1

Earning My Ears
Hi all! Looking at adding on a smallish resale contract (have a direct CCV Oct UY and a resale AKV Oct UY).

How important is it that I try to find another contract with the same use year? TIA!

I have 3 contracts and 2 use years. It’s not a big deal, but it’s more work (different banking dates, etc) to keep track of. The only real problem I’ve come up against is when I wanted to switch the contract I’d used to book a reservation... (and that was simply because I’d not gotten the new contract in time when I initially booked). Anyway, I called MS and was told it could’ve been done within the same use year contracts, but with the different use year it makes them completely unable to interact. That’s not likely to be a problem going forward, but it does add another layer ;)

I would NEVER buy into the same resort with 2 different use years though. That would be a nightmare.

Different UY is a different membership. That means you can’t combine points for a single night reservation without a transfer. Once you transfer points, then you have to call MS to use them.

If You book some nights on one membership and some on another, they have to link them with a note to help you not to have to move rooms. While I think moving is a rarity, it can happen.

I have 3 UYs, but I treat each one as its own and never transfer. It means I sometimes have current UY points in one, but yet need to borrow in the o5er,

I went with the different UYs due to finding great contracts but also to help with different times of travel.

It is manageable, but if you don’t have a specific reason for doing it, I’d just try to stick with one.

If you never plan to combine points from the two different contracts, it won't matter. If you think you may want to combine points from the two contracts, it's best to stick with the same use year. It can be a frustrating (although possible) process. Without doing a transfer from one contract to the other, you cannot combine points from one contract with the other to pay for the same night.

You have to call MS to do the transfer. Technically, you are allowed one transfer per use year per membership, either into or out of your account, but not both in the same use year. MS has been know to waive that requirement if the same person(s) own the two contracts, but they may not. and do not have to do so.

Having to call MS also means you cannot book online and that means those who can may grab the reservation you want before MS opens.

IMO, the extra time waiting for the right use year contract is worth it. YMMV.

From my understanding disney now has the ability to move UY points around. -- at least at the time of reallocation on sales. If that's true, I wondering if the next iteration would be the ability to move existing UY of multiple contract holders around. That would be of real benefit to some DVC members.

From my understanding disney now has the ability to move UY points around. -- at least at the time of reallocation on sales. If that's true, I wondering if the next iteration would be the ability to move existing UY of multiple contract holders around. That would be of real benefit to some DVC members.

I don’t think they could because they aren’t the ones who own the points and when one buys, its recorded that way.

Plus there would be no benefit to Disney to do that...because one would have to pay to record a new deed,

I don’t think they could because they aren’t the ones who own the points and when one buys, its recorded that way.

Plus there would be no benefit to Disney to do that...because one would have to pay to record a new deed,

This is when they take contracts via ROFR or foreclosure.

This is when they take contracts via ROFR.

Yes, I was just saying there would be no way or reason for Disney to offer an owner a chance to change the contracts UY that one owns.. as that was someones question.

I’ve heard this said a lot on here but when I tried to buy points at AKL and my UY I was told multiple time that they had other UYs avalible but not the one I wanted. I was told I could be put on a wait list if I wanted too. Even though I had the money ready and willing to buy right then and there 🤷🏽‍♀️

I’ve heard this said a lot on here but when I tried to buy points at AKL and my UY I was told multiple time that they had other UYs avalible but not the one I wanted. I was told I could be put on a wait list if I wanted too. Even though I had the money ready and willing to buy right then and there 🤷🏽‍♀️
Say it’s June 1, 2020 and you are in the market for some points. Disney acquires an OCT UY contract but the previous owner used the 2019 UY points; the 2020 UY points are intact.

You ask for an AUG UY, but AUG is still in its 2019 UY. Disney can not create 2019 points they don’t own to put into that contract, but they can convert that OCT UY contract to a FEB, MAR, APR, or JUN UY which would currently be in its 2020 UY.

AUG, SEP, OCT, and DEC UYs, on June 1, 2020, are still in their 2019 UY and Disney can’t do anything to offer those UYs without being in possession of 2019 points.

Different UY is a different membership. That means you can’t combine points for a single night reservation without a transfer. Once you transfer points, then you have to call MS to use them.

If You book some nights on one membership and some on another, they have to link them with a note to help you not to have to move rooms. While I think moving is a rarity, it can happen.

I have 3 UYs, but I treat each one as its own and never transfer. It means I sometimes have current UY points in one, but yet need to borrow in the o5er,

I went with the different UYs due to finding great contracts but also to help with different times of travel.

It is manageable, but if you don’t have a specific reason for doing it, I’d just try to stick with one.
Agree - I have 4 UY/memberships...I use for different times of the year.

I asked my sales associate - she said nope - no plans to let current members move their contracts to a different UY

Say it’s June 1, 2020 and you are in the market for some points. Disney acquires an OCT UY contract but the previous owner used the 2019 UY points; the 2020 UY points are intact.

You ask for an AUG UY, but AUG is still in its 2019 UY. Disney can not create 2019 points they don’t own to put into that contract, but they can convert that OCT UY contract to a FEB, MAR, APR, or JUN UY which would currently be in its 2020 UY.

AUG, SEP, OCT, and DEC UYs, on June 1, 2020, are still in their 2019 UY and Disney can’t do anything to offer those UYs without being in possession of 2019 points.

hmm ok reading that it makes sense. Now let me go back and dig through my old emails and see what months he offered to see if it fits 🙂

Yes, I was just saying there would be no way or reason for Disney to offer an owner a chance to change the contracts UY that one owns.. as that was someones question.
Agreed. Unlikely for Disney to do this. It would be a nice thing to do...not a have to.....like one paying for the recording of the deed again is a small fee but maybe worthwhile to some who have say 4-5 use years.....it maybe worth their effort to do this.

We are just beginning our journey in dvc and plan to limit to two use years....for now!

I will only speak for myself. UY is very important. I wish i had known before buying my resale contract. I would want to book my vacations Sept-Jan. I purchased a Oct UY contract and so there isn't the ability to book Sept early i have to wait till end of UY to do it.. Makes much harder to book between Sept and October.

I think UY is more important if you have smaller point contracts. Knowing what I know now i would have held out for a Aug UY.

I will only speak for myself. UY is very important. I wish i had known before buying my resale contract. I would want to book my vacations Sept-Jan. I purchased a Oct UY contract and so there isn't the ability to book Sept early i have to wait till end of UY to do it.. Makes much harder to book between Sept and October.

I think UY is more important if you have smaller point contracts. Knowing what I know now i would have held out for a Aug UY.

UY does not impact your booking window, You can always book Sept at the 11 month window in October...or any time after that.

Of course, traveling in Sept with an Oct UY is risk because if you had to cancel or change a trip, there would not be time as all points would expire September 30th.

UY does not impact your booking window, You can always book Sept at the 11 month window in October...or any time after that.

Of course, traveling in Sept with an Oct UY is risk because if you had to cancel or change a trip, there would not be time as all points would expire September 30th.
You are exactly correct. What you stated is what I meant Aug UY allows a person the ability to be able to get reservations i want and if need to change/cancel my reservation i still have time to use my points.

They could charge for it. Think maybe $50-100/point to make resale be direct points and then another $5-10/point to move your Use Year.

They could charge for it. Think maybe $50-100/point to make resale be direct points and then another $5-10/point to move your Use Year.

I will be very surprised if they ever allow resale points to be converted to qualified points, even for a hefty fee,,,unless they get to a point where they have no more resort to sell,

I just don’t know how easy it is to switch UY when the points aren’t owned by Disney. I think they do it now as a sales tactic to sell direct points. I can’t think of any reason how helping an owner change UY of points benefits them long term.

My guess would be that down the road if Disney needs to make adjustments for restricted points, then they will charge a per reservation fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter