How is a Disney Trip Like a Writing Desk: A PTR through Wonderland UPDATED: 9/18/10

I love that you two had an insider at the airport and then had to go through security - all for Eos!!!!! :rotfl: It is worth it all though, isn't it? :cloud9:

Very cute dancing onions. :goodvibes

The things we will do for our favorites!! Love that you had an insider at the Airport that could get you your EOS...yummy! I love that place!!!!

Only a couple more days WOOT WOOT!!

I first give you...THREE DANCING ONIONS!

onion-56.gif
onion-56.gif
onion-56.gif
:lmao: WHERE are you finding these things?!

FYI-I've never seen that episode of Seinfeld. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen ANY full episode of Seinfeld. I didn't think it was that funny...
I have seen every episode about a gazillion times. And, shamefully, I agree with you.
You guys are KILLING me! No more of my TR updates for you. Come back one year. (Which should be about when it'll be done, anyway.) ;)

Susan is a doll. Sweet. Hysterical. Easygoing. All that and a bag of chips.
I'm not surprised at all! :goodvibes It's still so amazing to me that everyone I've met from the DIS has turned out to be in person just like I'd imagined from their posts!

What a wonderful time I had. Really. And such a great way to wind down my workweek. I had so been looking forward to this meet (and a sammie) and it definitely did not disappoint. Susan, again, it was so much fun to finally MEET you. ::yes::
Yay! It sounds like you guys had a fantastic lunch!

Tink?

You're almost there!!! :woohoo:

The dancing onions were very cute!! Thanks for the temps recap! I will be on the lookout for you!! Yay for a Dis Meet and EOS!!

Seriously. Think about it. HALF of the things from 12 days of Christmas are birds. Methinks the composer had a borderline unhealthy obsession.

Oh.

And because I KNOW I'm not the only one out there:

20050523115433.jpg

THAT'S a turtledove.

A.K.A. A pretty pigeon.

:rolleyes:

So, the first half of this post was supposed to go up yesterday. And then, pardon my French, work became a s**t show. :sad2:

I'm happy to report, though, that I got just about everything done and still made it out of there on time. I have to log in later today to tie up some loose ends but other than that, no work for TINK for 9 days!!!

Lest I forget, we'll start the part of the post I was going to put up yesterday with some dancing tomatoes:

tomato-58.gif
tomato-58.gif

Now, onto yesterday's post...

Before every Disney trip, usually somewhere in the 24-72 hour window it hits me. I call it the pre-Disney sadness (PDS - like PMS with less chocolate). It's usually very predictable, I know how long it will last and I know how to deal with it. This trip I wasn't so sure since the PDS was going to be exacerbated by the recent change of this adventure from me and BF to just me.

I 'splain...

Disney is many things to many people, both good and bad. For us here on the boards it's, "Where the Magic Lives", "The House of Mouse", and "The Land of Yellow". For others (still including us DISers) it's a forced savings account with some pretty great rewards. And for still others, it's just a one time thing. Those are the people who ask us the question, "You're going AGAIN?!"

I used to hate that question. Until I finally came to peace with it. I don't have to explain myself, or my money or my time, and what I do with all three, to ANYONE.

But I will. To y'all.

Disney, for me, is not just about the rides, the resorts and the foods. It's not about the mad dash for Toy Story Mania or Expedition Everest. It's not the first Disney Sleep or the Envelope of Doom. Disney, for me, is memories. It's a place that's all about my heart coming home.

If you've read any of my previous PTR/TR attempts, you'll know a little bit about this (and Kat, you pretty much know all of it). Wayyyy back in 1987, about 6 months before I turned 8, my grandparents brought me to Disney for the first time. I was excited. I was going on an airplane. I was going to DISNEY! AND I got to leave my 2-year-old brother at home for a WHOLE week!

Oh, it was love at first sight. Back then it was just Magic Kingdom and Epcot, so the trip was also padded with plenty of time in the pool (we stayed at the then-dubbed Buena Vista Palace), a trip to Sea World and some time in Old Towne. I had my own camera and when I look back through those pics I see so many of the same pics I take as an adult.

The trip was such a success that my grandparents decided we'd repeat it every 5 years, and next time we'd take my brother. On that schedule it just so happened we'd be visiting the World on a Disney anniversary each trip. Perfect! All the special events and parades and extra stuff you could ask for!

We returned again when I was 12 going on 13 and my brother was 7 going on 8. What might've been a difficult age for some girls, I was a quiet preteen, big into reading, being the peacekeeper and one other thing, spending time with my Gram.

My grandparents, my grandmother in particular, were like second parents to us. My parents didn't have a lot and sometimes I wonder if it didn't kill them that they couldn't take us to the World. My father worked a rotating schedule (all three shifts) and my mom worked full time and was in school full time to get her Bachelor's. So, to help out, my grandmother would pick us up from school and we'd be at her house until about 6:30 every night. And I'd be right back there on the weekend's for sleepovers.

I adored my Gram. Most kids do, but this was a little deeper than that. She was a second mom, she was my confidant, she was my best friend. She lifted me up when I was down. She taught me to be aware of how other people were feeling and how my actions and words could help or hurt them. She taught me about being kind and how to love. And I don't think I realized it then, but there was just something a little bit more SPECIAL about her. I think about it now and I swear that woman was part guardian angel.

My Gram was diagnosed with lung cancer when I was very young. Though I knew about it, I didn't really see her as different or "sick". I talked about it as freely as if she had a cold. And I was pretty well educated about her illness, particularly given my age. As young as I was, they shielded me from seeing the worse parts of it. I have only ONE memory of my grandmother looking unwell. ONE. In 12 years, that's quite the feat. My grandmother went into remission when I was 5ish and stayed there. For 7 amazing years.

My Gram was beautiful, physically and mentally. She was one of those people who, no matter what, you simply CANNOT stop smiling around. She always dressed well and spoke well and had kind words for everyone. My grandfather ran in some political circles and it was like she was ever the politician's wife. And everyone loved her. Genuinely. "Del," they'd say, "it is so GOOD to see you!" And they MEANT it.

And so we went on that second Disney trip. We celebrated Disney's 20th anniversary. My brother and I didn't fight once (miracles DO happen). It was wonderful. And we came home talking about the next trip.

But it wasn't to be.

My Gram lost her fight with cancer on 12/12/1992. Twelve days before Christmas. I didn't even know she was no longer in remission. I didn't even know she was sick-sick. She simply wouldn't let her grandkids see it, no matter how much pain she was in. If that doesn't attest to the strength of this woman, I don't know what does. I'm not sure if I've shared this part before, but I will now.

My grandmother KNEW she was breathing her last breaths and she took the time to call us. I was getting ready for bed and I came to the phone and she sounded no different than ever before.

Me: Hi Gram! It's late!
Gram: Yes, but I wanted to call and ask about your day.
Me: It was ok.
Gram: Well good. Listen, honey, I just want to tell you to be a good girl.
Me (thinking she got wind of some new way I'd tortured my brother): I will.
Gram: And I love you. Very, very much.
Me: I love you too, Gram!
Gram: Ok, honey, you go to bed.
Me: Ok! See you soon!

She passed, just after midnight, four hours later. And there is nothing in my life I'm more thankful for than that opportunity to have said good-bye.

Losing my grandmother was devastating. I hadn't lost anyone close to me up to that point and it really rocked my foundations. I struggled for a long time, afraid I'd forget her, and I'd escape to the Disney albums we'd made together as if to memorize every detail.

My grandfather, understandably, couldn't continue the Disney trips. If my foundation was rocked, his was destroyed. I can honestly say I've NEVER seen love like the love he and my grandmother shared. I strive to achieve even the smallest percentage of that every day with BF. It was true, true love.

The first time I went back to Disney I was a teenager. I went as a babysitter for a family friend. And as soon as I stepped into the World I felt it.

I felt HER.

Every corner we turned. Every ride we rode. Every line we stood in. This place was RICH with my grandmother. I couldn't believe it. I relished it. And I didn't talk about it. I selfishly hugged it close to my chest and made it my own. And at that moment I pledged to come back, as often as I could, to relive it.

This trip will be my 12th trip to the World. It was to be the one where I would finally share all of this with BF. He knows the backstory, so he knows how important it is. He knows that if I could choose ONE person for my grandmother to come back and meet, it would be him. So when, about 3 weeks ago, I learned BF wouldn't be coming on this trip, it was more than just not sharing Disney with him. It was not sharing HER, in this very special way, with him. I can admit it, I cried like a darn baby about it.

And then I got to thinking. She has been with us more in the past 6 months than ever before. Our lives have simply been so BLESSED. And I know, deep in my heart, that she's here. Maybe she's making it happen. Maybe she's just sitting by, enjoying it. I don't know. But I feel her with us now more than ever. I am still disappointed that BF and my first trip is delayed. Again. But I know how special it will be when it finally DOES happen. And that makes me giddy. And THIS trip, this one that is just over 24 hours away...I know it will be amazing in its own way.

Ok.

I need a minute.

Thanks. :goodvibes

And so, here we are, at just after 5 a.m. on Disney Eve.

mushroom-26.gif

One dancing mushroom for one last day. I've made it! It's here! I'm still sane!

I have to admit that it's felt like a very looooong road here. And it's certainly not the here I expected it to be in many ways. It's gone from "Our First Trip" to "My Umpteenth Solo Trip". I've experienced every emotion in the spectrum. The plans have been planned, changed and rearranged. But here, it's here. Now.

The plan for today was to do NOTHING but relax. Will achieve I that goal?

Probably.

I have a 'To-Do' list for the day that includes running some errands, harrassing the rental agent at our new place about the LEASE THAT STILL ISN'T SIGNED (ahem...sorry...hissy fit complete), cleaning up a bit, doing a tiny bit of work and packing some of the last-minute items. I'm also hoping, given last night/this morning's insomnia, to work a nap in. Then, BF and I are doing a "date night" with dinner and a movie (likely 'The Town', the new Ben Afflick flick). And then bed.

Where I will likely sleep.

For 45 minutes.

And then stare at the clock, willing the minutes to tick by and for the alarm to go off.

The plan for tomorrow is to be out of the house no later than 5 a.m. so I'm at the airport a good hour before my flight. BF will be bringing me, so I'm sure there will be a slightly teary good-bye on my part. And then...off to the World!

:woohoo:

I want to rehash my plans one more time for y'all before I leave:

9/19: Arrival, DHS, dinner at 50's Prime Time
9/20: MK, breakfast at Kona, Tea at the Grand Flo, dinner at Citricos
9/21: Epcot, dinner at Cali Grill, followed up maybe by a trip to DTD
9/22: AK, breakfast at Boma, lunch at Yak and Yeti, dinner at Kona
9/23: DHS, lunch at Brown Derby, MNSSHP
9/24: Epcot, breakfast at Kona, lunch at Marrakesh, dinner at Tutto
9/25: Departure, maybe a last trip to MK and/or DTD

The weather's still looking nice. Sunny and 89/90 the first half of the trip and isolated t-storms the latter half.

And really folks? That's that. The trip's here. In it's new and improved version. Tink's Trip v. 2.0, if you will.

I don't know that I'll be checking in here or on FB while I'm gone (and if we aren't friends on FB, we should be. PM me!). I'm really focusing on reconnecting with ME on this trip and avoiding stressing about what to post where and when. KWIM?

But that certainly doesn't mean I don't love you all. :grouphug:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking this journey with me. Really. It means so much. My grandparents gave me Disney and Disney gave me all of you. And for that I'm the luckiest girl in the world...and the World.

:flower3:

I have seen every episode about a gazillion times. And, shamefully, I agree with you. But the hubbah loves Seinfeld. So it's our go-to when there's nothing else to watch. Either that or Friends.

I'm glad I'm not alone. :) And we love Friends too.

Yep, more of a bummer for someone who has to wait 4 weeks....Not that I'm complaining. I know it could be much, much worse.

I STILL can't believe that it's been that long since you last went.

Dude. You are a better navigator than I. I asked Phil, "I thought you said to meet you at the big globe. What big globe? All I see is a flag..." Then he pointed to our feet. :headache: Only way I found him was because I heard his phone ringing when I called it!:rotfl2: (Guess you could call that echo-location.....)

:lmao:

Y'know, I FULLY intended to go back up and get one of those after we finished the sammies. But we were having so much fun talking that I didn't want to get up and stop the conversation!

Our daily calorie count thanks you for that.

SO fun, but way too short. Next time we have to do dinner...... I hate having to watch the clock.

:thumbsup2

NOM.

And yay for a fun DIS meet! :goodvibes

I was thinking of our first DISmeet on my ride to the airport.

Tink when you get back and after Wings gets back from her trip we MUST plan a NE DISmeet. Surley there is somewhere in the middle for all of us to meet and hang out for a day!

HERE, HERE!

This mom needs some girl time!

::yes::

MMMM. EOS--the nom responsible for my booking POFQ.

Hmmm...and here I thought that was the beignets...;)

HOOORAY for the Dismeet!

I love that you two had an insider at the airport and then had to go through security - all for Eos!!!!! :rotfl: It is worth it all though, isn't it?

He said other people have done it before us. Specifically for EoS and they were mostly Disney people!

The things we will do for our favorites!!

And now that I've had my EoS fix, I think I'm going to try Wolfgang Puck Express for my farewell meal at the World!

:lmao: WHERE are you finding these things?!

HERE

You guys are KILLING me! No more of my TR updates for you. Come back one year. (Which should be about when it'll be done, anyway.) ;)

LOL

So you realize that this means I had no idea who this 'Puddy' was that everyone was talking about with regards to Soarin'. I only knew his as the voice of Kronk.

I heart Kronk.

I'm not surprised at all! :goodvibes It's still so amazing to me that everyone I've met from the DIS has turned out to be in person just like I'd imagined from their posts!

I agree!

Yay! It sounds like you guys had a fantastic lunch!

Yes?

You're almost there!!! :woohoo:

I KNOW!!!

What fun! A Dis meet and some EoS. Does it get any better?

Well, if YOU had been there...:goodvibes

The dancing onions were very cute!! Thanks for the temps recap! I will be on the lookout for you!! Yay for a Dis Meet and EOS!!

Oooh! I hope we "bump" into each other!!!

All checked in for my flight tomorrow morning! :yay:

I'm in boarding position A32. So, if there aren't any Business/Preferred members flying (they reserve spots 1-15 for them), I'll be the 17th person to board the plane! Not too shabby. I should be able to get a seat fairly close to the front and hopefully on the aisle. ::yes::

Ok...back to knocking things off the 'To Do' list!

I'm a little verklempt.

I think, right now, it just hit me how much I'm going to miss you this week, and how I seriously cannot wait for our February trip so I can spend some time with you in the World.

I don't know how to explain it but this morning, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Wow.

:::deep breath:::

Phew.

OK. I don't know if I've ever told you, but even more so after reading your last post, I really wish I could have meet your Gram. :hug:

Okay between you and Kat I'm just going to have to buy stock in Kleenex and carry some around with me!! What a touching and heatfelt post!! This really hits close to home for me because I had an amazing grandmother that I lost to soon and everyday I feel Nona's loss in my life and just like you I wish she could meet the man I spend my life with because I know she would have loved him and he would have loved her as long as he didn't cut his spaghetti with a knife cuz then she would have hit him with a wooden spoon. But I digress....just wanted to say thank you for sharing because I know its not easy and this morning I felt my Nona next to me as I read your post just like I know you felt your grandmother next you as you wrote it! Thank you for that!

Now on to something completely different....I hope you acheive relaxation and enjoy your Saturday!!! WOOT WOOT...NO MORE WORK!!!

I'm looking forward to the reviews of your restaurants and I hope some great pictures!!! If I don't check back in before you leave...HAVE AN AMAZING TRIP!!!!

Wow, somehow I missed Friday's update.....but not to worry, I iz caughted up.:goodvibes

And slightly teary.

::sigh::

Y'know, I hope this is THE trip for you. Magic, wonderment, the whole reconnect bit. You deserve it.:hug:

Tink, between you and TK, I'm a blubbering idiot. I am so happy that Disney is so much for you and such a place to honor and remember your grandmother.

You have to tell me how Cali Grill and Citricos are--I'm doing those on Kat's suggestions!

Have an awesome trip, and tell the Walt and Mickey statue I'll be there 3 months from today. They can hang tight watching over our castle.

Tink,
That HAS TO BE the MOST beautiful post I have ever read here on DIS....amazing!:cloud9: I cried, I laughed, I felt your emotion, I so glad that your Gram gave you Disney and Disney gave you to us! What an amazing journey, my friend, have a wonderfully magical trip, and I'm so blessed to have had this journey with you!!!

Safe travels, enjoy YOUR time at the World, and that time you have with Gram, there, too...I'm sure there will be lots of special moments for you!!!:goodvibes

Wow, Tink! I'm with Jen. . .I may have to buy some kleenexes! Whoa! I have a grandmother I've become closer to in the last few years. Maybe I need to call her and tell her I love her. . .

Have a GREAT trip, Tink! I will be at EPCOT on Tuesday afternoon (after our arrival!) Maybe we will run into each other!

Enjoy your time there! :hug:

Kristin

Tink, between you and TK, I'm a blubbering idiot. I am so happy that Disney is so much for you and such a place to honor and remember your grandmother.

I really need to start sending out packets of kleenex to our readers.

You have to tell me how Cali Grill and Citricos are--I'm doing those on Kat's suggestions!

Do you doubt me? :lmao:

I'm a little verklempt.

Yeah, I just went back and reread my post and I'm all sorts of a mess now. Again.

I think, right now, it just hit me how much I'm going to miss you this week, and how I seriously cannot wait for our February trip so I can spend some time with you in the World.

I don't know how to explain it but this morning, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Wow.

:::deep breath:::

Phew.

I promise to call you every day. ::yes:: I'm also going to try to call you while I'm stuck in the backlog of boats on PotC. You know, by Jack. And if you hear CMs yelling and lots of movement, don't worry. I can run really fast. And I've got rope for strapping Jack to my back.

OK. I don't know if I've ever told you, but even more so after reading your last post, I really wish I could have meet your Gram. :hug:

She was wonderful and she would've loved you. :hug:

Happy Disney Eve, Tink!!! I hope you have a magical trip!

Thanks!!! And I hope Connor had an awesome party! I loved the pics. :goodvibes

I feel Nona's loss in my life and just like you I wish she could meet the man I spend my life with because I know she would have loved him and he would have loved her as long as he didn't cut his spaghetti with a knife cuz then she would have hit him with a wooden spoon. But I digress....

I have an Italian gramma myself. Someday I'll relate the story about how she once tried to kill BF via pasta.

just wanted to say thank you for sharing because I know its not easy and this morning I felt my Nona next to me as I read your post just like I know you felt your grandmother next you as you wrote it! Thank you for that!

You're welcome. :goodvibes

I'm looking forward to the reviews of your restaurants and I hope some great pictures!!!

I promise to come back with both!

I iz caughted up.:goodvibes

Gud. Tink can haz LegoHug befourz her trips?

Y'know, I hope this is THE trip for you. Magic, wonderment, the whole reconnect bit. You deserve it.:hug:.

You know, to quote my favorite Black Eyed Peas song, "I gotta feelin'..." ::yes::

Tink, between you and TK, I'm a blubbering idiot.

If it makes you feel better, I'm a blubbering idiot everyday.

No.

Wait.

That's a BABBLING idiot.

Never mind.

I am so happy that Disney is so much for you and such a place to honor and remember your grandmother.

Thanks. :goodvibes

Oh HONEY. Don't doubt the wisdom of TK Won Kenobi. Wise she is in the ways of the noms.

This'll be my THIRD trip to CG. It's yet to disappoint and I hope it never does.

And Citricos? Three words: quattro formaggi crushed potatoes.

That was four words. Sorry. That's what those potatoes do to me.

Tink,
That HAS TO BE the MOST beautiful post I have ever read here on DIS....amazing!:cloud9:

:blush:

Safe travels, enjoy YOUR time at the World, and that time you have with Gram, there, too...I'm sure there will be lots of special moments for you!!!:goodvibes

Hey, you too! Maybe I'll "bump" into you. :goodvibes

I have a grandmother I've become closer to in the last few years. Maybe I need to call her and tell her I love her. . .

Every. Chance. You. Get. :goodvibes

ave a GREAT trip, Tink! I will be at EPCOT on Tuesday afternoon (after our arrival!) Maybe we will run into each other!

Kristin, if you see me, don't hesitate to say hi!

I really need to start sending out packets of kleenex to our readers.

Yeah, maybe we should start buying in bulk from BJ's.

Or perhaps you can make them required reading materials?

Mental note: prepare readers for any impeding sobfests. :thumbsup2

I lost my grandmother to lung cancer as well. Your post was really hard for me to read and I'm just going to leave it at that. :hug:

I hope you have a fabulous trip! Your temps look way cooler than what ours were. It was miserable hot through most of our trip but the last two days were much cooler and enjoyable so I wish you lots of weather like that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter