How long before you feel it is safe to go back to WDW?

How long before you feel safe returning to WDW parks and resorts?

• 3 months

Votes: 45 38.1%
  • 6 months

Votes: 40 33.9%
  • A year

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Never

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
I think it's a matter of who is going. For my son and I, who are relatively young and without the type of underlying health issues likely to cause an issue with coronavirus, we're ready to go as soon as they reopen (hopefully by our scheduled late May/early June trip). For my 73 year-old mother, not until she's vaccinated against this.

Actually, :) some good news on that. Dr. Fauci explained that if virus behaves like other viruses (which he expects will happen) that the wave next fall will be more moderate in nature due to people already exposed to disease building a natural immunity where either they won't get again or it will be much more mild.
That's the best case scenario if it reemerges in the fall, and I'm wishing for the best case of everything. However, in the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic, the first wave was in spring, a very nasty flu that typically caused pneumonia and killed some. Then the virus mutated just slightly, and came back in the fall so deadly that it often killed people within hours of their symptoms appearing- it set off some extreme effect in people's immune systems. That second phase is when most of the deaths of that catastrophic flu occurred. So unfortunately, until fall is here we have no real idea of what it will be like.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/three-waves.htm
https://www.thoughtco.com/1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-1779224

Last edited:
That's the best case scenario if it reemerges in the fall, and I'm wishing for the best case of everything. However, in the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic, the first wave was in spring, a very nasty flu that typically caused pneumonia and killed some. Then the virus mutated just slightly, and came back in the fall so deadly that it often killed people within hours of their symptoms appearing- it set off some extreme effect in people's immune systems. That second phase is when most of the deaths of that catastrophic flu occurred. So unfortunately, until fall is here we have no real idea of what it will be like.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/three-waves.htm
https://www.thoughtco.com/1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-1779224

Well, okay...

I think I need an "I don't know" option.

We actually don't have a trip planned at all but we have been wondering about the status of WDW in terms of pricing and the like as well as experiences when they do open. Some deals may be too hard to pass up but honestly a lot of that would be on their theme park ticket pricing. It's not worth an amazing deal on hotels if their park tickets are still astronomical.

Confidence level I think depends on a lot of things especially air travel industry and how its doing, the future of my husband's project he is on, if we still have a prevalence rate of cases in our area where it may be more prudent to avoid travelling, etc.

So for me it's not just about how WDW would be handling their safety aspect but also how it is in my area as well and other industries as well. I do think Disney as a whole will take this all as seriously as far as how to walk that delicate balance they will have to in having park operations and easing consumer fears.

For us, we will greatly curb any travel until we see how life changes going forward. The second/third wave of this will detail how we travel. I'm not jumping right back into swarms.of people.

If Epcot and/or AK is closed, we won't go. We aren't MK or HS fans

Actually, it could very well work the other way - inadequate and slow responses now mean more people are already infected and spreading the virus, which means a higher percentage will be immune (assuming that this virus works the way most do) by the time the parks reopen.
That might be the case if the visitors weren't from out of town. Now all the Floridians will be infecting those who come to visit? I'm not sure Disney will risk it.

I think I need an "I don't know" option.

We actually don't have a trip planned at all but we have been wondering about the status of WDW in terms of pricing and the like as well as experiences when they do open. Some deals may be too hard to pass up but honestly a lot of that would be on their theme park ticket pricing. It's not worth an amazing deal on hotels if their park tickets are still astronomical.

Confidence level I think depends on a lot of things especially air travel industry and how its doing, the future of my husband's project he is on, if we still have a prevalence rate of cases in our area where it may be more prudent to avoid travelling, etc.

So for me it's not just about how WDW would be handling their safety aspect but also how it is in my area as well and other industries as well. I do think Disney as a whole will take this all as seriously as far as how to walk that delicate balance they will have to in having park operations and easing consumer fears.
So I'll update my post. In addition to above it wouldn't matter when I felt it was safe to go back..can't until at least April 24th as we're under a 30-day stay at home until then.

I didn't vote because my answer would be the day it opened. If I could do on opening day, I would. I haven't brought myself to cancel my 4/4-4/10 trip yet since there hasn't been an official announcement from Disney.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Orange and Osceola Counties are now until a stay at home order through at least April 9th..

Disney hasn't announced it officially on their side but they are def. not considered an essential business.

The problem with WDW is that it’s in FL and FL isn’t taking all the shutdown measures it needs. That’s going to likely create a situation where cases spike and make it an undesirable travel destination longer than other areas of the country.

I rescheduled my May trip to August already but...I don’t know. We’ll see.

I know. We’ve currently got a condo booked for the last two weeks of June at the beach. I’m praying we’re able to go.

And I agree that Florida isn’t being strict enough w/ their shutdowns & other measures. Additionally, there are people coming into Florida from the northeast. I‘m a member of a local FB page of the town we visit all the time, & the locals aren’t happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter