How long can RunDisney leave it.....

UK_Disney_Dopey_Hopeful

Earning My Ears
So i was having a think last night with all the randomly estimated dates banding about for when countries will "reopen" just how late can RunDisney leave it until they have to call the Marathon weekend off?.

This is all guess work of course but feel free to give idea and opinions.

I was thinking the latest would probably be October. The actual logistics of the race (Course, road closures, crowds etc) they have plenty of experience doing, so i dont really see that being a problem for them.

The things that i think they need time to complete are:

Checking peoples POT (This i believe has an October date cut off anyway, so not too bad there)

Getting race medals made and shipped over in time

Getting all the merchandise made and shipped over in time

Getting all parks and hotels up and running again in time (I see this being slightly less challenging as its a Disney issue, not specific to RunDisney, so im guessing things will start reopening pretty quick once they get the go ahead)

im sure theres a billion things ive forgotten to take into consideration and thats why it would be great to gauge some other opinions on thoughts about this.

One final thought (Unrelated to race date postponement). Ive never ran a RunDisney event before (2021 was/is going to be my first) but one of the things i love seeing on all the YouTube videos is how staff and crowds are happily giving hi-fives to runners for encouragement..... do you think those days are gone now too?

i think they would have to make a decision about 6 months out. So I think the latest they could open registration would be June/July time period.

I would think a decision would be made internally before mid-May as we see how the curve is looking and a public announcement made in June with registration opening in June or early July.

As for your last question I can't imagine things would change dramatically long term as far as social interaction goes. We aren't going to permanently stop physical interactions like high-fives and shaking hands. There might be a year or so of apprehension but as with all things life will go on.

I think they are just buying time now. Eventually, they will open registration knowing they can cancel and do refunds if needed. But I am sure they want to wait as long as they can to undo as little as possible if necessary.

IMO, large gatherings like big races (runDisney) and other sporting events/concerts are going to be the last thing to return to "normal" and may not come back until there is a vaccine. Frankly, I don't see how even the theme parks can open until then. When the curve flattens and people start going back out and smaller businesses start to re-open, the number of cases will go back up and we will be right back where we were in March. Just looking at the United States, even if we say we are not testing everyone and 1 million people have contracted the disease, there are 330 million people in this country meaning only .3% of the people. Thus, everyone who has been hiding in their house for 2-3 months will now be the people exposed to the virus. That is why you hear about another wave in the Fall. I doubt Wine and Dine and other Fall races will happen. I think Marathon Weekend and even to some extent the fate of the theme parks will depend on whether they get a working vaccine fast tracked and distributed to everyone by late Fall / early Winter. I am hoping that happens and 2021 races go on as planned.

For the 2019 marathon weekend, registration opened on July 19th. I was in a hospital waiting room, trying to fight with Disney's IT infrastructure while my mom had her knee replaced so it was kind of memorable. I'm not sure what that means in this case, but it does provide a bit of a baseline.

Been pondering this for a while as my wife's family and us have a trip planned for February 2021 and I am/was planning on doing the Princess Half weekend. I would highly doubt any rD registrations open before the actual parks do. But just kind of gauging things, I'd expect registrations (IF they open) to be opened around September at the latest. However until a vaccine is readily available it wouldn't surprise me if races were cancelled until W&D 2021. But I do expect rD to add another virtual run.

Been pondering this for a while as my wife's family and us have a trip planned for February 2021 and I am/was planning on doing the Princess Half weekend. I would highly doubt any rD registrations open before the actual parks do. But just kind of gauging things, I'd expect registrations (IF they open) to be opened around September at the latest. However until a vaccine is readily available it wouldn't surprise me if races were cancelled until W&D 2021. But I do expect rD to add another virtual run.
If they waited until there is a vaccine the parks wouldn't open until then either. I don't see Disney doing that.

If they waited until there is a vaccine the parks wouldn't open until then either. I don't see Disney doing that.

I don't see Disney waiting until a vaccine is ready for them to open the parks. At the parks, they can limit the capacity and have the room to allow people to practice social distancing. I just don't see how they can reasonably keep 10,000-20,000 people for the races spaced apart and still be have things wrapped up for the parks opening. Unless they significantly reduced the number of race participants. I just think it would be a headache they don't want and need to deal with until the parks and resorts are open.

I don't see Disney waiting until a vaccine is ready for them to open the parks. At the parks, they can limit the capacity and have the room to allow people to practice social distancing. I just don't see how they can reasonably keep 10,000-20,000 people for the races spaced apart and still be have things wrapped up for the parks opening. Unless they significantly reduced the number of race participants. I just think it would be a headache they don't want and need to deal with until the parks and resorts are open.
Then if that’s the case they won’t have any races in the US until then. I don’t see that happening though.

They can limit park capacity, but I don’t see how they enforce any kind of social distancing once inside. Good luck getting people to self-regulate en masse.

They can limit park capacity, but I don’t see how they enforce any kind of social distancing once inside. Good luck getting people to self-regulate en masse.
Well they can do some things such as reduced seating in restaurants and staggered seating for shows. Obviously things would be much harder for parades and fireworks though. They could cancel things like that for a bit even.

Very right, they cannot enforce distancing but can only advise guest to do so. This is why I don't see how they can avoid bunching 10,000-20,000 people during the races, especially towards the back where they tend to be the most crowded.

I know I'm probably stating the obvious here, but they're going to have to get creative with a lot of the queuing and pre-shows. HM/stretching room, TOT/library, FOP/various, TT/car design, not to mention the shows and attractioins that utilize special glasses. I assume simply staged direct boarding for the attractions with pre-shows and enhanced sanitation measures for the glasses. I'll take my chances on the People Mover to ease in to things!

As someone who signed up for the 1/2 last January (my first) in order to do the 1/2 in Paris and get the C2C, I am at a "now what?" stage. I had booked my hotel stay for the Paris race using my DVC points. I have not booked a flight as of yet, as Disney would not allow me to add race registration to my DVC reservation.

So let's say there is no Paris race this year. Would runDisney "relax" their "run a race in WDW and Paris for the C2C medal in the same calendar year" stance?

This has got me in a twist, in part because I spent the $$$ to do this, and in part that I have my DVC points tied up. The points I am using are a little bit from my last use year, 100 for the current UY and 80 from next UY (starts 10/1). Oy!

So let's say there is no Paris race this year. Would runDisney "relax" their "run a race in WDW and Paris for the C2C medal in the same calendar year" stance?
I think there are a lot of things still being worked out. runDisney isn't going to make a decision though on anything until the parks are known to be closed or open.

What about the reverse of the question....what would be the first runDisney race you would be willing to run? answers will vary by variables such as..
  • How many weeks after WDW opening?
  • Before or after a vaccine?
  • Before or after major league and NCAA sports start with fans in the stands?
  • Before or after smaller, local runs/races are held?
  • Before or after the CDC says it's OK?
  • Low risk or high risk health group?
For me, in a higher risk health group, I'm not sure I will run W&D even though I'm signed up for the HM. But if the parks have been open a month or two, and local races have started up again then I will reconsider. There is no time frame for a vaccine yet, and it could easily be 18-24 months away.

What about the reverse of the question....what would be the first runDisney race you would be willing to run? answers will vary by variables such as..
For me, in a higher risk health group, I'm not sure I will run W&D even though I'm signed up for the HM. But if the parks have been open a month or two, and local races have started up again then I will reconsider. There is no time frame for a vaccine yet, and it could easily be 18-24 months away.
That's just it. Someone will bite the bullet and be first. I definitely don't think it will be Disney. They will be watching what others do. I think local races will try to go off first because they have less of a risk with smaller fields and abilities to spread people out more if need be. Like you said if we wait for a vaccine to start races of any sort we could be years away yet.

This is going to play out like a "long" chess match. Very methodic and cautious on how things evolve.
Who will make the first move and how will it be executed and monitored? From strictly a racing benchmark perspective, I'll be keeping my eye on the postponed Boston Marathon which is scheduled for September 14. We'll know long before that date the status for Chicago and New York, October and November respectively.

I'm also thinking about where we "the US" will be with regards to the international travel limitations.
I for one don't know the direct impact on large racing events but do know there will be some limitations for those who travel from abroad, either imposed by us locally or from their home country.

I'm trying to be optimistic for the 2021 marathon weekend especially since I will be bringing my nieces along for their first RunDisney event, but part of me wants to postpone it now based on the uncertainty or should I say unknown around the 2021 event. Needless to say, I have a resort ressie from 1/6 - 1/13 so will get them to Disney, run or no run!

I mentioned something similar on a different thread but I'm not sure it will be Disney that decides when they open registration. In my state (Ohio) I anticipate the governor will very methodically start opening up businesses and events. It won't be stay at home orders day 1 and everything opened day 2. We have Cedar Point and King's Island and I can't imagine they will be in charge of their own opening plan. That will come from Columbus and I anticipate they will open much later than other businesses and at an enforced lower capacity (maybe 10%-25% of normal capacity) and then step up in stages. I can't imagine FL and Disney won't be similar though that is just an educated guess on my part.

Small local races might open up a bit sooner since they are outside and you don't have to be crowded into corrals but for larger events that draw crowds I am not sure when different states will allow them.

I mentioned something similar on a different thread but I'm not sure it will be Disney that decides when they open registration. In my state (Ohio) I anticipate the governor will very methodically start opening up businesses and events. It won't be stay at home orders day 1 and everything opened day 2. We have Cedar Point and King's Island and I can't imagine they will be in charge of their own opening plan. That will come from Columbus and I anticipate they will open much later than other businesses and at an enforced lower capacity (maybe 10%-25% of normal capacity) and then step up in stages. I can't imagine FL and Disney won't be similar though that is just an educated guess on my part.

Small local races might open up a bit sooner since they are outside and you don't have to be crowded into corrals but for larger events that draw crowds I am not sure when different states will allow them.
A few things working in favor of Disney is Florida's stay at home policies have been a bit more "relaxed" than other states whether good or not is not a discussion for this board. Disney also is basically its own city. They don't have to follow everything that each county/city have to do to a T. Either way like you said it will be methodical and a phased opening. Even Disney itself will open things in phases. I fully expect Disney Springs to be the first thing to open at WDW.

I am watching local races here. As of right now two August races I have been watching are still on. Anything before that pretty much canceled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter