How long can RunDisney leave it.....

A few things working in favor of Disney is Florida's stay at home policies have been a bit more "relaxed" than other states whether good or not is not a discussion for this board. Disney also is basically its own city. They don't have to follow everything that each county/city have to do to a T. Either way like you said it will be methodical and a phased opening. Even Disney itself will open things in phases. I fully expect Disney Springs to be the first thing to open at WDW.

I am watching local races here. As of right now two August races I have been watching are still on. Anything before that pretty much canceled.

Florida governer just stayed wwe was an essential business. Governor won’t stand in the way of anything Disney wants to do.

That's just it. Someone will bite the bullet and be first. I definitely don't think it will be Disney. They will be watching what others do. I think local races will try to go off first because they have less of a risk with smaller fields and abilities to spread people out more if need be. Like you said if we wait for a vaccine to start races of any sort we could be years away yet.

I agree that local races will be first since they have a lot less risk.

The big question is are there going to be any operational changes to races and race organization as a result and I'm not sure what form they would take but I wouldn't be surpirsed.

Somebody though has to be first in terms or larger scale races and no i don't think it would be rundisney or rock and roll or any of those series. I think it is going to start with your larger running organizations that are used to putting on large scale races and have the experience and resources to really think though and plan things well.

So I would say the next race to watch would be PTRR on July 4th. As of now it is still on but still very possible it could be cancelled, or run with some kind of modified organization. That is the largest 10k in the world and run by Atlanta track Club a very well respected running group (they just hosted the olympic marathon trials right before things got crazy).

If my chance that one gets cancelled or postponed, then BAA at Boston Marathon will be the next one to watch.

As to who goes first for large scale races my opinion is it will be your groups like NYRR, ATC, BAA... those are the groups with the clout, experience, and resources to chart a path forward for races and others are going to follow their lead.

Proof of time for the Marathon and half are due at the end of September - will they just have to take people's word on it? I have a time from Wine and Dine last year but was planning on another race this Spring/Fall

Proof of time for the Marathon and half are due at the end of September - will they just have to take people's word on it? I have a time from Wine and Dine last year but was planning on another race this Spring/Fall
I think a lot of people will be in that boat if these races take place. If you have a PoT you’ll still need to provide the link to back it up.

I think there’s a possibility they might extend the proof of time window backwards, but theres no way they take people’s word on it. Chaos would ensue.

I think there’s a possibility they might extend the proof of time window backwards, but theres no way they take people’s word on it. Chaos would ensue.

Another option would be to take people's GPS tracks as proof. Other races have done that but I suspect they would extend the window backwards as a first choice.

It's official. Early registration is May 7th, general registration begins May 12th 10am

Unless they change their refund/deferral options I wouldn't personally risk that much registration money just yet. YMMV.

Another option would be to take people's GPS tracks as proof. Other races have done that but I suspect they would extend the window backwards as a first choice.

They could, but I don’t think they would. Too many would hand their Garmin over to a fast friend to run a “proof” for them. People already bib mule and lie for corral placement. That method would just be too easy to cheat.

Good luck getting people to self-regulate en masse.
Ain’t that the truth!! Even the year when we went in August, and I was literally dripping with my own sweat (and prolly smelling like a goat), people would be right up on my back in a queue. Like you’re getting on the ride faster that way. We should all get issued, with our MagicBands, very low-voltage tasers (which look like light-up spinner toys to preserve the magic!!) to keep other guests 6’ away in line and waiting for parades and fireworks. I LOVE this idea..........

I wish they just call wine and dine already. We’re locked into that weekend because were signed up for the races but if they’re not holding the races we’d change hotel reservations to a different hotel and a different week and just do probably a hotel only vacation or really light park visits if they’re open. You know Disney is making a little bit of money off of the interest from all the race fees they’ve collected for wine and dine and Marathon weekend so even if they have to cancel and refund those races they’ve made a little something. So unfortunately I bet they’re just going to cancel pretty last minute. How far ahead was Star Wars cancelled ahead of time again?

I wish they just call wine and dine already. We’re locked into that weekend because were signed up for the races but if they’re not holding the races we’d change hotel reservations to a different hotel and a different week and just do probably a hotel only vacation or really light park visits if they’re open. You know Disney is making a little bit of money off of the interest from all the race fees they’ve collected for wine and dine and Marathon weekend so even if they have to cancel and refund those races they’ve made a little something. So unfortunately I bet they’re just going to cancel pretty last minute. How far ahead was Star Wars cancelled ahead of time again?
Far too early to call Wine and Dine yet. Many fall events are still on as of now. Disney will wait until they have a better understand of what the fall will look like before canceling Wine and Dine.

They canceled Star Wars on March 20th, but March 20th was pretty close to the beginning of when everything was starting to get canceled. It’s possible that if they did decide to cancel W&D, they may give more advanced notice than 4 weeks.

They canceled Star Wars on March 20th, but March 20th was pretty close to the beginning of when everything was starting to get canceled. It’s possible that if they did decide to cancel W&D, they may give more advanced notice than 4 weeks.

It needs cancelled before any resort cancellation penalties kick in. Is that still 90 days? I haven't looked into it in a while. If they cancel the race guests need to be able to recover 100% of Disney's portion of their vacation if they no longer want to go IMO.

It needs cancelled before any resort cancellation penalties kick in. Is that still 90 days? I haven't looked into it in a while. If they cancel the race guests need to be able to recover 100% of Disney's portion of their vacation if they no longer want to go IMO.
Disney room only reservations can be cancelled 5 days before check-in to receive a full refund and avoid penalties. Package reservations; room, tickets, etc. can be cancelled 30 days before check-in to receive a full refund.
DVC resort reservations cancelled 30 days before check in; all points go back to current use year of that reservation with no penalties. Cancellation less than 30 days go in to a holding account which has guidelines that are really not needed for purposes of this response!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter