How long typically for customs?

detroitdad

DIS Veteran
I'm not recalling how long the process usually takes once the ship has been cleared for customs? An hour?

I'm not recalling how long the process usually takes once the ship has been cleared for customs? An hour?
It can vary anywhere from just walking directly through, to 45-60 minutes. Just depends on how many people get off at the same time as you and how thoroughly the customs/immigration people question them.

We spent about 10 minutes in line after getting our luggage last week when we left the ship at 8:00 am. The actual time talking with a customs agent was about 10-15 seconds.

During the government shutdown it took us an hour just to get off the ship! They only had half the usual number of CBP agents, so it was very slow going.

The longest part of waiting in customs was the line. It was constantly moving but it was looonnnnnng. Talking to the agent was a "hi" , a glance at our passports and we were waived through.

It varies.

Our most recent experience (April 27), debarking the Fantasy in Port Canaveral, took us maybe 15 minutes from scanning off the ship to stepping away from the customs agent. We had no line to get off the ship itself. However, when we were on the 2016 Wonder norovirus cruise, debarking in Miami, it was over an hour from scanning off the ship to leaving the customs agent. Rumor was that the reason the line stopped moving was because people got sick in line. Our other experience in Miami was more like half an hour from stepping in line on the ship to scan off (the line on the Magic stretched almost back to Animator's Palate) to leaving customs. We have always had customs agents that were VERY brief in the process, but I know I have observed other customs agents to be not so brief in the process while waiting in line.

Just went through customs yesterday morning. We went down to get our luggage (from Cabanas) as soon as the announcement was made the ship had been cleared. Very easy to find your luggage and the line to the customs desk was only 5 or 6 minutes after that. We were at the customs desk less than one minute while the lady looked at our passports and then on our way!

We spent about 10 minutes in line after getting our luggage last week when we left the ship at 8:00 am. The actual time talking with a customs agent was about 10-15 seconds.

Ditto, except ours was closer to 9 am. Fantasy, Port Canaveral. Longest part was line to depart on ship, and that wasn't even that bad (maybe 10 minutes?).

The wait at Port Canaveral this morning was long. We lined up to get off the Fantasy at 7:45am and had to hold on the ship for awhile because the customs area was completely full. Once we got down there, we saw they only had half the customs agent areas open, so I assume that was the backup.

Today was the longest we’ve waited in 9 customs experiences at Port Canaveral.

The wait at Port Canaveral this morning was long. We lined up to get off the Fantasy at 7:45am and had to hold on the ship for awhile because the customs area was completely full. Once we got down there, we saw they only had half the customs agent areas open, so I assume that was the backup.

Today was the longest we’ve waited in 9 customs experiences at Port Canaveral.
Can you specify "long", please? 20 minutes? An hour?

I had a flight to catch at noon so I was off the ship between that 730-8am express walk off time. The earlier flight fit my price point, but I prefer to have bfast in the MDR and say goodbye to my servers one last time. I told them I would not be seeing them in the morning and handed out their envelopes.

It seemed like everyone was trying to get off the ship at the same time. It took a good hour to get through customs. Getting through the TSA lines at MCO? 10 mins.

The time spent with the customs agent was just a simple check of our passports. They had to bring in more agents due to the demand. I thought people tried to remain on the ship as long as possible but not on 5/18.

On the last cruise my wife and I took (3 night Bahama cruise on the Dream, disembarking May 6), we decided to test the option of skipping breakfast and walking off the ship when it clears customs. Purchased coffee and grabbed a croissant from Cove Cafe and enjoyed it in our room.
When the announcement was made the ship cleared customs (around 7:45), DW and I grabbed our bags (1 each) and walked to deck 3. Got in line that was consistently moving thru the exit process. Waited in customs for maybe 3 minutes. Walked to our car in the parking decks and we were on A1A around 8:15.
Will do this option again. Love not having to place our bags out the evening before and having everything I might need the morning of disembarkation.

Given these varying times that everyone is reporting, I'm really struggling with what time to tell the driver to pick us up at the port to head to MCO for a noon flight. 8:30am? We have late seating so I know we will be in the later breakfast seating. It sounds like we should skip the MDR for breakfast so we can eat whenever we want. I would like to get to the airport by 10am at the latest. Thoughts?

Given these varying times that everyone is reporting, I'm really struggling with what time to tell the driver to pick us up at the port to head to MCO for a noon flight. 8:30am? We have late seating so I know we will be in the later breakfast seating. It sounds like we should skip the MDR for breakfast so we can eat whenever we want. I would like to get to the airport by 10am at the latest. Thoughts?
The times we used private transport, we were instructed to call them when we stepped off the ship, and they then knew when to come and find us. If they're a company that has been in the cruise port before, perhaps they have a past knowledge of how it works and can advise.

The times we used private transport, we were instructed to call them when we stepped off the ship, and they then knew when to come and find us. If they're a company that has been in the cruise port before, perhaps they have a past knowledge of how it works and can advise.

I ended up calling the service and leaving a message to get their input. I know they have to wait in an off site holding area so maybe I'm just overthinking this. Thanks.

I've never had it take more than 15 minutes. That includes the time at the Miami port that I randomly got pulled over to a separate room for individual processing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter