How Many Drops in Guardians of the Galaxy?

EpcotQueen

DIS Veteran
I am a big chicken when it comes to roller coasters. I can do SDMT but not Space Mountain. How does GOG compare? How many drops are there?

It's not as rough and jerky as either, but it's MUCH faster and feels it. It's smooth in that there aren't huge drops, but there are big accelerations and spins.

I'm not a big coaster fan. I can tolerate BTM/Space Mountain. Rock n Roller coaster is too intense for me. Having tried GotG last week I won't be doing that again.

Spoiler follows!!

My niece hates drops - ToT terrified her, and she can’t deal with SM or RnRC. (Dwarves, Slinky, and BTMRR are fine). She stresses about the little mini-drop in Rise! She was grilling me (and multiple strangers in line) so hard about GoG beforehand that I was super-worried she’d come out crying and hating me - but she absolutely loved it. It is undeniably a coaster, but it’s extremely smooth without traditional hill drops. There are some very fast accelerations, and one is sort of in reverse and briefly places riders almost…sideways, if that makes sense? It all depends on what aspect of roller coasters freak you out - if it’s just drops, you might want to try it. If it’s coastery movements in general, then it may not be for you. Good luck!

Possible spoilers ahead:

I would add that it is more intense feeling to some, including me, who get motion sick on spinning rides. I can do coasters all day with drops and don’t find the EE drop intense at all, or any drop in WDW with the exception of ToT. But, GotG is intense for me because of the spinning/swivel motions. They are very fast and disorienting for me. It reminds me a little of Forbidden Journey in IOA in the smooth movements but WAY faster, and feels less like a “traditional” coaster in the sense that not everything is coming at you from straight ahead. Think riding in a car forward on a road that has turns, but your seat swiveling sideways, backwards, etc. at the same time, if that makes sense. Lol, it actually sounds pretty crazy now that I’ve typed it! If you’re ok with spinning, I don’t think there are any real “drops”….like my kids say… with a belly jump. There is one section as a pp mentioned that spirals down, but you are definitely sideways for some of it. It is super smooth and fun though, just be forewarned if you get motion sick.
HTH!

As others have said, GotG is intense in a very different way than traditional coasters. There aren't any straight drops where you feel yourself lifting out of your seat, but the intensity is there in that you never know which way you're about to be pulled. It's also incredibly smooth, so the twisting doesn't translate to, say, a sore neck or anything like that.

I honestly think it's the most "fun" ride in Disney right now. Getting spun around to the 80s soundtrack caused me genuine delight and I was singing along at the unloading platform. I would say to at least give it a try because it's so different from anything else at WDW right now.

How bad was it when you found out you couldn't do Space Mountain? I feel like that is a key piece of information...

I really want to do it. Love smooth roller coasters but can’t do spinning. Should I try this ride.

I really want to do it. Love smooth roller coasters but can’t do spinning. Should I try this ride.
I can’t do spinning rides either, but decided to try it because I love roller coasters. It doesn’t really go in continuous circles, but you do spin quickly in different directions, including backwards, during the ride. It’s up to you if you feel you can do it as you know your limits, but also think about how you’ll manage any spinning sensations if you feel it’s too much. I knew I could close my eyes if needed, which I did at different parts, or try to focus on a fixed place in the ride, which can be challenging since it’s so fast. If you know you get motion sickness maybe take meds for that?
It really is a fun ride and I loved the song we got (Gloria Estefan conga which is one of my favs!) so I was able to get into it which helped focus on something other than the spin.

Possible spoilers ahead:

I would add that it is more intense feeling to some, including me, who get motion sick on spinning rides. I can do coasters all day with drops and don’t find the EE drop intense at all, or any drop in WDW with the exception of ToT. But, GotG is intense for me because of the spinning/swivel motions. They are very fast and disorienting for me. It reminds me a little of Forbidden Journey in IOA in the smooth movements but WAY faster, and feels less like a “traditional” coaster in the sense that not everything is coming at you from straight ahead. Think riding in a car forward on a road that has turns, but your seat swiveling sideways, backwards, etc. at the same time, if that makes sense. Lol, it actually sounds pretty crazy now that I’ve typed it! If you’re ok with spinning, I don’t think there are any real “drops”….like my kids say… with a belly jump. There is one section as a pp mentioned that spirals down, but you are definitely sideways for some of it. It is super smooth and fun though, just be forewarned if you get motion sick.
HTH!
This is a great description of the ride. I do not get motion sick on any ride. I also did Forbidden Journey once and vowed never to do it again. I didn’t like all the turning and unpredictability.

I had no fears boarding GOTG. I was fine with the backwards launch, but when the turning began at a high rate of speed I became dizzy and disoriented. I hated every minute of it. I closed my eyes through most of it. My entire party loved it.

I’m willing to try again with motion sickness meds to see if they help. I want to like it because most people seem to think it’s the best ride in Disney and I feel like I’m missing out.

This is a great description of the ride. I do not get motion sick on any ride. I also did Forbidden Journey once and vowed never to do it again. I didn’t like all the turning and unpredictability.

I had no fears boarding GOTG. I was fine with the backwards launch, but when the turning began at a high rate of speed I became dizzy and disoriented. I hated every minute of it. I closed my eyes through most of it. My entire party loved it.

I’m willing to try again with motion sickness meds to see if they help. I want to like it because most people seem to think it’s the best ride in Disney and I feel like I’m missing out.
Oh yeah, forbidden journey is no go anymore for me. Which is funny because I don’t feel like it’s a thrill ride, definitely not like Hagrids, which I would consider a thrill ride and lots of fun. I don’t get motion sick on FOP, star tours, Gringotts, or Soarin, so I know it’s that spinning thing for me. I’m also thinking of ways to manage it next time because I do love the coaster aspect of it, especially the backward launch.

Spoilers

I don’t remember any drops. There’s lots of high speed turns. There is a very fast backwards launch that gets my stomach every time. There is no going upside down.

The cars during turns remind me of the old Flying Bobs at Hershey Park.

Looking forward to trying it. Do have to say not looking forward to the reverse launch. Hate going backwards

I will only add that I rode this twice on my last trip. After ride one (which was in the third row from the back), I told myself I wouldn’t ride again. To me, it certainly wasn’t the speed or the spinning per se. It was simply disorientating to a point of uncomfortableness and while i didn’t feel sick while on or after, it was a feeling I didn’t want to feel again.

Second time was at a private party at a work conference. Free liquor and peer pressure made me do it again. And I was in the fifth from the front row this time and there was a BIG difference in how I felt in terms of the disorientation. I don’t know if it was the fact that it was the second time for me or if there was genuine truth to what I’ve read that the middle/front is less “intense”.

Regardless, I’d give it another go on my next trip but ask to be towards the front — and I never ask for stuff like that on roller coasters and just take the luck of the draw.

So to me, it’s not the drops — there really aren’t any — and the backwards launch was rather fun. It was the rotations that put your head in a different direction than the track. Something just didn’t sit right with me in the back with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter