How many DVC members from Houston, TX and surrounding area.

I'm a DVCer from the Cypress area too. :wave2: And here I thought we were the only ones from this part of Texas!! We make our second "home" at VWL and SSR. We'll be driving to WDW this Christmas, 12-17 thru 12-26. We've never driven before so we're not sure how long it takes; we plan on leaving late evening on 12-16 and driving straight through. Anyone else from the Houston area going this Christmas??

Hi slmjam,

We will be going Nov. 26 thru Dec. 9 at VWL. It took us about 18 hours split over two days drive. We stopped a lot for our DD3.

Jim.

We are in Cypress too, and we will be driving this year. We are leaving Nov 17 and checking out of DVC on Thanksgiving and doing a little touring on te way home. We are taking the kids out of school for 2 days (that's if the state doesn't change the calendar in Austin this week) so that we can enjoy the parks before the Thanksgiving weekend crowds. When we went last year it took about 18 hours but that was with a couple of long breaks. We drive straight through as I can't fathom paying for a hotel for 5 hours and having to unload and reload my truck.

For those who have driven from Houston, where are the best places to stop for a break? Since we're leaving late on a Friday evening, I'm sure by Saturday morning, we would appreciate stopping for breakfast somewhere. Anyone have any suggestions?

cymomtx, if you don't mind me asking, approx. where are you in the Cypress area? I say we live in Cypress because I've lived in this part of town my entire life (went to Cy-Fair High School over on 290 & Telge) ....but we're really in the Jones Road/1960 area close to Willowbrook.

Last year when we drove, we stopped at Cracker Barrell. Cracker Barrel is good, but can take awhile and be a bit pricey.

I live in Ravensway. I have 2 girls at Millsap and a son at Hamilton MS fixing to go into CyFair. I also work for CFISD. We have been in the area for 13 years.

cymoxtx,

Wow, small world! My daughter went to Millsap (kindergarten thru 5th grade); sounds like your son and my daughter are the same age. She's in 8th grade now at Bleyl getting ready to go to Cy-Creek. I bet they would know each other. Also have a 9 year old son at Matzke.

Where's the Cracker Barrel you stopped at?

There are Cracker Barrels all along I-10. Usually just about when you are ready for a meal one appears. We ate dinner in Louisiana Baton Rouge I believe and breakfast in Florida.

slmjam said:
For those who have driven from Houston, where are the best places to stop for a break? Since we're leaving late on a Friday evening, I'm sure by Saturday morning, we would appreciate stopping for breakfast somewhere. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cracker Barrel is good place to stop if you're looking for a good meal and a rest from driving. Expect slow service. Good, if you want a break... not so good if you want to make good time. We stopped eating there because of this.

We usually head out in the morning, rather than drive through the night...and stop for the night in Pensacola. I find the Holiday Inn Express with w/continental breakfast included to be a good deal.

magicalmcwho said:
Hi,

I was just wondering how many members there are from Houston and surrounding areas?

Jim. :wave:

The wife and I live in Beaumont.

We have never driven (thank god for Southwest Airlines !!) but I am sure we will be driving one day.

Kingwood here, Northeast of Houston! We are taking our 2nd trip since moving here in May. I would like to fly, but it looks like we might be driving. We drove almost the exact same distance when we lived in VA.

Not a DVC member yet but considering. We live in Southwest Houston. My Aunt has a membership but she says if you are going to own a timeshare you should really live within a days drive of your timeshare.

We drove in 1998 to WDW and it tooks us 19 hours. It was a very tough drive. We drove straight through but the fog was so bad it was very hard.

Any Houstonians want to talk me into it?:rotfl:

We are new members at SSR and live in Fairfield. Our first trip will be 9/23 - 9/30!!

I forgot to mention DS, he lives in Denton, by Dallas. He does a lot of musical theater in the Dallas area (not tooo very far from Houston). He also performed for a summer at DL. Yesterday, I told him I'd like to see his photos performing in DL again. He told me "It's still kind of sad to look at those pictures-it was really a great time!" So he's been truly bitten by the Disney bug.

Hi lovehoney,

Hopefully your stay at OKW will be enough to talk you in to buying in, but I am sure me and others could convince you. We only drive if we are staying longer than a week (usually 2 weeks). Hope you have a great trip at OKW.

Jim.

I have a great friend and traveling companion named Flat Stanley who hails from Houston!
P.S. Jim, time to update that trip list in your signature!

Ok Jean,

I will get right on updating my trip list and Flat Stanley says hi and he had a great time.

Jim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter