How many of you also compete in Triathlons.

SunDial

Where Are The Umbrella Hats
I only started running 2 years ago and went right for the larger events. 3 x 10 milers, 2 half's and a full before I did any 5K's. This past January I crossed off running a Goofy. 2018 Dopey will be crossed off the list.

For my 60th birthday (in 4 years) I want to finish an Ironman Triathlon. For this one I figure I better start out with a few sprints and a half or 2 before I go crazy. For those that compete in Tri's what are good training plans, website resource's, Youtube videos and so on? For those that live in Florida or have done events in Florida, what are some good events to go to?

The running part I am not to worried about. Bike riding not so much either for the shorter events. I cross train with 10 to 15 miles on days that I ride. Getting back into swimming and building up endurance for these events, now that will be fun. I swam in high school/AAU competitions back in the days and was very good. Those were also the days that a variety of distances and times splits could add up to 10,000 to 15,000 yard totals. But that was a life time ago.

Now stringing these all together into one event and that is where the nervousness sets in. I have signed up for my first sprint Tri August 1st. When the actual Ironman occurs I hope to be finished before the 2nd days sunrise.

Thanks for any advice.

Ed

Last edited:
First, 4 years to an Ironman is smart, but long. Given your athletic profile, I bet you could do it in 2.

A training plan will get you there, a coach might get you to Kona when you turn 60.

I'm doing my first Ironman in August, a few months shy of my 50th birthday. I started triathlons in 2009 with sprints but wasn't really happy with the short distances but was too chicken to go longer. Last year I got the nerve and did two 70.3s and an Olympic distance and loved every bit of the training and races.

I come from a swimming background, like you, and swam competitively from 7-college. However, things change and so does technique. My first year in triathlon I did it on my own. In 2010 I broke my ankle during a swim start and had to have surgery (never finish a race if you're pretty sure you broke your ankle). When I was finally cleared to start swimming again I joined a Masters Swim program at our gym. The coach was a professional triathlete and he taught me not only how to swim again, but he helped me learn to walk again so I could run. While he is no longer the Masters Coach, he is now my personal tri coach and there is no way I could do this without his guidance.

My suggestion is to see if there is a Masters swim program near you and join. If not, find a swim coach who can help you get your stroke back. While you can do Sprint distances without a coach, I would find a coach for Half Ironman distances and for a Full Ironman. I wouldn't use a canned program that you can purchase from Training Peaks or any other program. You want a coach who will look at your strengths and weaknesses and build on those. It will probably be more expensive but well worth it, especially for the longer distances.

Finally, like another poster said, you could probably do a Full sooner than 4 years. Test the waters this summer and see what happens.

I will be attempting my first sprint next weekend. I never really thought about tri, but this winter I had a foot injury that stopped me from running for a few months. Once I was clear to start running again, my doctor recommended doing more swimming and biking and less running to prevent hurting it again. I've really just learned to swim in the last 3 weeks (I could doggy paddle before, but for a few weeks I've been taking swim lessons to learn proper freestyle) and bought my first road bike about the same time. I'm so nervous!

I'm a triathlete! Plan on my first half inronman in 2016. In fact that is why I want to do the dopey challenge in 2016. I will have my annual marathon done early in the year and I can focus on my ironman through summer.

Its exciting to hear that there are so many first timers! Nothing like the feeling of finishing a tough race in a new sport.

If running is your background, IM runs are a bit different. Don't expect to do well unless you pace yourself well on the bike. For an IM, go 75ish% (should almost feel easy) on the bike and ~150bpm on the run (again it should feel easy). For a half, you can bump both by 10. The easiness is so you don't burn through your glycogen and bonk harder than you ever have before.

As an example, regular marathon for me is 3:30, IM is more like 3:50 depending on course.

I will be attempting my first sprint next weekend. I never really thought about tri, but this winter I had a foot injury that stopped me from running for a few months. Once I was clear to start running again, my doctor recommended doing more swimming and biking and less running to prevent hurting it again. I've really just learned to swim in the last 3 weeks (I could doggy paddle before, but for a few weeks I've been taking swim lessons to learn proper freestyle) and bought my first road bike about the same time. I'm so nervous!

How did your tri go? What was your opinion of the distance? My first is 3 months away. I will probably wait for 2016 to do the next one, I have the Wine and Dine half along with the January full on the calendar right now. 2 weeks before the W&D is a Cocoa Beach FL half. I will more likely sign up for since it will have an I Dream of Jeanie bottle medal that looks pretty nice. Then I will probably do the Princess half with friends that want to do that one.

Its exciting to hear that there are so many first timers! Nothing like the feeling of finishing a tough race in a new sport.

If running is your background, IM runs are a bit different. Don't expect to do well unless you pace yourself well on the bike. For an IM, go 75ish% (should almost feel easy) on the bike and ~150bpm on the run (again it should feel easy). For a half, you can bump both by 10. The easiness is so you don't burn through your glycogen and bonk harder than you ever have before.

As an example, regular marathon for me is 3:30, IM is more like 3:50 depending on course.

Well you have me covered by a couple of hours on the marathon :lmao: What is a good MPH on the bike to shoot for while in training? I am riding a few years old mountain bike that I can average 13MPH during the rides I am doing now.

And I had a friend that sent me this pic of a tricked out bike. This would be nice for the transition or stops out on the route :rotfl2:

I'm doing my first Ironman in August, a few months shy of my 50th birthday. I started triathlons in 2009 with sprints but wasn't really happy with the short distances but was too chicken to go longer. Last year I got the nerve and did two 70.3s and an Olympic distance and loved every bit of the training and races.

I come from a swimming background, like you, and swam competitively from 7-college. However, things change and so does technique. My first year in triathlon I did it on my own. In 2010 I broke my ankle during a swim start and had to have surgery (never finish a race if you're pretty sure you broke your ankle). When I was finally cleared to start swimming again I joined a Masters Swim program at our gym. The coach was a professional triathlete and he taught me not only how to swim again, but he helped me learn to walk again so I could run. While he is no longer the Masters Coach, he is now my personal tri coach and there is no way I could do this without his guidance.

My suggestion is to see if there is a Masters swim program near you and join. If not, find a swim coach who can help you get your stroke back. While you can do Sprint distances without a coach, I would find a coach for Half Ironman distances and for a Full Ironman. I wouldn't use a canned program that you can purchase from Training Peaks or any other program. You want a coach who will look at your strengths and weaknesses and build on those. It will probably be more expensive but well worth it, especially for the longer distances.

Finally, like another poster said, you could probably do a Full sooner than 4 years. Test the waters this summer and see what happens.

There is a masters swim program about 15 miles from me. I can also hook myself to the ladder in my pool and swim stationary when I cannot get out to the big pool.

Go for the gusto and have a blast!!!!! Just a matter of linking 3 events into one race so no PRESSURE!!!!:)

My first Sprint tri was in July 2012 one week after my 62nd. birthday. Just started to swim 4 months earlier. First half IM was May-2013 IM70.3FL in Haines City, yup would rather have had that at FW. Six months later in November 2013 was IMFL. Did IMFL 2014 with the swim cancel and was to do IM70.3FL a couple weeks ago but first operation for my newly diagnosed cancer was 5 days before so that put the kibosh on that race. Have local sprint after my BD again in July and will see how it goes from there.

We had the local Relay for Life yesterday/today at airport in Venice, FL and with very bad knees walked 32.5 miles to celebrate half my age coming in July. Birthday bicycle in July ride will be double age + 2 so 132 miles.

I have to take the participate to complete not compete goal with all events since my knees do not allow running, I need a total shoulder and total wrist replacement and really go out for enjoyment rather than competition.

McFlurry John

How did your tri go? What was your opinion of the distance? My first is 3 months away. I will probably wait for 2016 to do the next one, I have the Wine and Dine half along with the January full on the calendar right now. 2 weeks before the W&D is a Cocoa Beach FL half. I will more likely sign up for since it will have an I Dream of Jeanie bottle medal that looks pretty nice. Then I will probably do the Princess half with friends that want to do that one.
It's tomorrow! I will report back after it's over! :)

An I dream of Genie medal sounds awesome!! I would love that! Argh! So many races, so little time!

I average about 1 Tri a year. I've gotten as long as 1/2 IM, and may go that long again, but due to spinal issues it is exceedingly uncomfortable to be over the aero bars for more than about 90 minutes. Sprints are too short for me, so that leaves Olympics as my distance of (all that's left) choice. Last did the Rocketman Tri in Cocoa/Kennedy space center last October and am doing it again this November. That's going to be the final one, so I'll have to start shopping for some new ones in the central/NE FL area.

And, btw, I'm doing the Cocoa Beach 1/2 in October too.......

I average about 1 Tri a year. I've gotten as long as 1/2 IM, and may go that long again, but due to spinal issues it is exceedingly uncomfortable to be over the aero bars for more than about 90 minutes. Sprints are too short for me, so that leaves Olympics as my distance of (all that's left) choice. Last did the Rocketman Tri in Cocoa/Kennedy space center last October and am doing it again this November. That's going to be the final one, so I'll have to start shopping for some new ones in the central/NE FL area.

And, btw, I'm doing the Cocoa Beach 1/2 in October too.......

Didn't know they had a tri at the space center area. Good to know. I plan on the Cocoa Beach half too. Just have not signed up yet. And this half is 2 weeks before the W&D that I am doing too.

Sorry to hear about your cancer John. Wish you all the best in the future.

Dad passed November 2013 from cancer, brother who is 6 years younger had it. This is what got me into getting better shape overall. A couple of close friends had and are currently going thru treatment for cancer. It really sucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter