How many of you also compete in Triathlons.

I completed my first sprint tri on Sunday, and I think I am hooked! The swim went a little worse than I'd hoped. I practice in a pool in the middle of the day when there is NO ONE else there, so I was unsure of how to pass people when it came time to race, and that hurt me a lot. The bike went about as I expected. I did better than I expected on the run part, so that made me very happy! :)
I need to work on my transitions--I think I probably could have shaved at least a minute off my total time if I had been more organized/focused during the transitions.
I have another sprint in August, but I'd like to find more to sign up for before that!

I completed my first sprint tri on Sunday, and I think I am hooked! The swim went a little worse than I'd hoped. I practice in a pool in the middle of the day when there is NO ONE else there, so I was unsure of how to pass people when it came time to race, and that hurt me a lot. The bike went about as I expected. I did better than I expected on the run part, so that made me very happy! :)
I need to work on my transitions--I think I probably could have shaved at least a minute off my total time if I had been more organized/focused during the transitions.
I have another sprint in August, but I'd like to find more to sign up for before that!

Practice makes better and more practice makes more betterer...:) Good deal with your success and good luck with the many more to come.

I'm doing a sprint tri here locally in July and I'm looking forward to it. Because it's small, the swim portion (which I'm not afraid of) is in the Olympic-sized lap pool at our YMCA, and it's only 300 meters. Then the bike portion is a two-lap loop around our town (it's 15 miles) with the run being down along the river.

The bike portion concerns me a little bit, but I'm trying to ride my bike everywhere I go these days that doesn't require a car. I don't have a road bike (yet ... but that probably won't happen until Christmas 2017. My husband - despite just buying a Surly - is up next for a serious road bike so he can do distance rides), but I do have an aluminum-frame hybrid (Giant Alight).

Any bike tips?

I'm doing a sprint tri here locally in July and I'm looking forward to it. Because it's small, the swim portion (which I'm not afraid of) is in the Olympic-sized lap pool at our YMCA, and it's only 300 meters. Then the bike portion is a two-lap loop around our town (it's 15 miles) with the run being down along the river.

I have seriously considered looking into a sprint tri ever since I started running...I used to swim a lot but havnt done much the last few years and have never done much road biking but its in the back of my mind, something like you are doing would probably be perfect, perhaps after I cross "finish a marathon" off my bucket list ...I can add this

The bike portion concerns me a little bit, but I'm trying to ride my bike everywhere I go these days that doesn't require a car. I don't have a road bike (yet ... but that probably won't happen until Christmas 2017. My husband - despite just buying a Surly - is up next for a serious road bike so he can do distance rides), but I do have an aluminum-frame hybrid (Giant Alight).

Any bike tips?

1. Get some clip-on aerobars. On flat roads, air resistance is likely to be the biggest force trying to slow you down. Adjust bike position as far forward and as low in front as you can get without compromising power. Bend at the hips not the lower back. Keep rides short until you adapt to the new position. You may need a new saddle to help with the saddle pressure being forward of the sit bones. In other words, there is more pressure on the soft tissue between the pubic bone and the saddle when you are in the time trial position. Cobb makes split saddles.
I have my saddle canted, rotated, right a few degrees (yaw not pitch.) Some people recommend tilting the saddle down, I do not. I find that you tend to slide forward and are fighting to stay in the saddle if it is tilted too low.

http://www.womenscycling.ca/blog/bicycle-fit/saddle-discomfort-solutions-for-women-cyclists/

2. Change to slick tires as narrow and high pressure as your rims will accommodate.

3. Get toeclips for your pedals, or bike specific shoes and cleats.

4. Practice bricks. Ride hard for 5 minutes and then immediately transition right into a 1/2 mile run at 10k pace. Rest 2:00-4:00 minutes between reps. Build up slowly to a half dozen or more of these. You need to get used to running with legs that feel like tree trunks.

1. Get some clip-on aerobars. On flat roads, air resistance is likely to be the biggest force trying to slow you down. Adjust bike position as far forward and as low in front as you can get without compromising power. Bend at the hips not the lower back. Keep rides short until you adapt to the new position. You may need a new saddle to help with the saddle pressure being forward of the sit bones. In other words, there is more pressure on the soft tissue between the pubic bone and the saddle when you are in the time trial position. Cobb makes split saddles.
I have my saddle canted, rotated, right a few degrees (yaw not pitch.) Some people recommend tilting the saddle down, I do not. I find that you tend to slide forward and are fighting to stay in the saddle if it is tilted too low.

http://www.womenscycling.ca/blog/bicycle-fit/saddle-discomfort-solutions-for-women-cyclists/

2. Change to slick tires as narrow and high pressure as your rims will accommodate.

3. Get toeclips for your pedals, or bike specific shoes and cleats.

4. Practice bricks. Ride hard for 5 minutes and then immediately transition right into a 1/2 mile run at 10k pace. Rest 2:00-4:00 minutes between reps. Build up slowly to a half dozen or more of these. You need to get used to running with legs that feel like tree trunks.

I have not done any brick training yet. Within the next couple of weeks I will start with what you have suggested.

I have not done any brick training yet. Within the next couple of weeks I will start with what you have suggested.

Be gentile with these. Start with one or two. Add one or two each week or so. Some athletes run a mile after their mid-week bike rides. You might substitute some of your Lactate Threshold workouts for bricks.

1. Get some clip-on aerobars.

Keels, for your first Tri I would not get clip-on aerobars, especially for a sprint distance. When I had my bike fit for my new tri bike, the fitter had a fit (pun intended) that I had put aerobars on my road bike. If you do get aerobars, I would take your bike and have it fitted, making sure your seat is in the proper position, and that the bike is the proper size for you. The fitter can put the aerobars on for you if he thinks they would be safe for your bike. For my first tri I used a 20 year-old mountain bike that I could barely lift onto the race racks. You will be fine with your Giant.

As for bricks, my coach has me do something different. Throughout the season he will have me run for 15 minutes after my bike workouts during the week. So I my bike for 90 minutes with set intervals, and then immediately following the bike do an easy run for 15. He will then build that to 30 minutes easy run. For my bricks after long bikes he has me run for a longer distance. Last week my bike was 50 miles in 2 hours and 15 minutes followed by a 10k run that was broken up - first 2k was easy building to moderate, second 2k was moderate, third 2k was medium, fourth 2k was at an 8 min mile, last 2k was easy. This week's brick was entirely different - I did an easy 3k swim followed by a 4.5 hour bike. I can hardly wait to see what brick I get next weekend, haha!

Keels, for your first Tri I would not get clip-on aerobars, especially for a sprint distance. When I had my bike fit for my new tri bike, the fitter had a fit (pun intended) that I had put aerobars on my road bike. If you do get aerobars, I would take your bike and have it fitted, making sure your seat is in the proper position, and that the bike is the proper size for you. The fitter can put the aerobars on for you if he thinks they would be safe for your bike. For my first tri I used a 20 year-old mountain bike that I could barely lift onto the race racks. You will be fine with your Giant.

Of course your bike person had a fit...they wanted to sell you a $3000+ tri-specific bike;) The 'fit' could have been for any reason. It's always good to have a professional fit. Go to a shop that specializes in triathlon fitting. That Giant Alight, because it has a tall head tube, in relation to the seat height, should prevent you from getting too low, too far forward. The fork rake looks far enough forward to allow for aerobars. You could get into a forward position, on some bikes, that could be dangerous; I don't think you would see front end instability on the Alright. At some point, if you fall for triathlon, you will be in aerobars. Look at Race-Across-America (RAAM) many of those riders have 'clip-on' aerobars on standard bikes. For mountain TT's, in the Tour de France, riders will use clip-on aerobars on a standard bike. Clip-on isn't flimsy they are bolted to the handle bars, it's just a name. Christmas 2017 is too long to wait.

As for bricks, my coach has me do something different. Throughout the season he will have me run for 15 minutes after my bike workouts during the week. So I my bike for 90 minutes with set intervals, and then immediately following the bike do an easy run for 15. He will then build that to 30 minutes easy run. For my bricks after long bikes he has me run for a longer distance. Last week my bike was 50 miles in 2 hours and 15 minutes followed by a 10k run that was broken up - first 2k was easy building to moderate, second 2k was moderate, third 2k was medium, fourth 2k was at an 8 min mile, last 2k was easy. This week's brick was entirely different - I did an easy 3k swim followed by a 4.5 hour bike. I can hardly wait to see what brick I get next weekend, haha!

That brick session would kill a normal human! It looks specific to Iron Distance. For a Sprint you don't have time to settle in. The run could be over before the the tree trunks dissipate. That's why I suggested shorter intervals. Also bricks teach transition. You learn how to get off the bike and on to the run quickly. Running with your helmet on, in practice, looks a lot less silly than during your first triathlon.

I wouldnt be too worried about the bike if you can adjust your position. For a few hundred bucks you can get 75% of what the higher end tri bikes would have. Agreed your biggest gains will be clip on aero bars, clip shoes, and road wheels. The other big thing that will make a difference is some kind of a bike computer - you want one that shows speed and cadence - you can find one for under $100 online. It will help keep you steady and at a good rate.

Oh and totally agree, for a sprint distance race - you're really not going to see any major gains from aero bars. Clip pedals and road wheels and you're gonna be pretty close to good.

Another reason for aerobars is that your upper body and core are going to be relaxed, i.e. you use less energy, keep the heart rate lower, especially if you are elbows bent, leaning over, mountain bars. The forward position keeps the hamstrings better rested for the run.

It isn't just the time on the bike that will see improvement.

position article:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

Aerobar position Videos:

Of course your bike person had a fit...they wanted to sell you a $3000+ tri-specific bike;) The 'fit' could have been for any reason. It's always good to have a professional fit. Go to a shop that specializes in triathlon fitting. That Giant Alight, because it has a tall head tube, in relation to the seat height, should prevent you from getting too low, too far forward. The fork rake looks far enough forward to allow for aerobars. You could get into a forward position, on some bikes, that could be dangerous; I don't think you would see front end instability on the Alright. At some point, if you fall for triathlon, you will be in aerobars. Look at Race-Across-America (RAAM) many of those riders have 'clip-on' aerobars on standard bikes. For mountain TT's, in the Tour de France, riders will use clip-on aerobars on a standard bike. Clip-on isn't flimsy they are bolted to the handle bars, it's just a name. Christmas 2017 is too long to wait.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm riding about 10 miles to meet friends for brunch today, and my bike shop is right next to where we're going - so I'll pop in and talk to my bike guy (who I really like, btw!) about everything you've mentioned!

I just got my Giant for Valentine's Day. Previous to that, the only bike I'd ever ridden was an old single-speed foot brake cruiser my husband bought me so we could ride to the bars in the neighborhood. I had it for about 6 months before I got my new bike. I'm still pretty new to riding, but I really love it. I ride my bike pretty much everywhere around town that I can (we have a great trail system that connects all parts of the city, plus we're lucky enough to have a really good bike initiative that allows for nice bike lanes just about everywhere you could want them). That said, my longest ride right now is about 15 miles, with a couple of stops in between.

The concept of the tri is appealing to me because I really enjoy swimming (that's what I do on my non-run/cross training days), and I'm starting to get comfortable on my bike, so ultimately (and eventually) it would be nice to combine the three.

Thanks again!!

Well i didn't wait a couple of weeks to try a brick session. Went for 4 1/2 miles on bike at 12 MPH then into a 1 mile run at a 12 1/2 minute pace. For the first 1/4 mile it did feel like the California Redwoods were in South Florida :rotfl2::rotfl2:

But it did feel good.

Keels, if you did your tri what did you think? My first is August 1st.

My training is coming along. Last week I swam 1600 yards and then rode 16.5 miles mostly into a head wind. With the temp in the mid 90's midday the breeze felt good. I am doing a 1 mile ocean swim this Saturday. Man I hope it is calm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter