How much do YOU worry about theft @ Disney?

Kacedia

Earning My Ears
I had posted on another thread in the parks section last week about a cute little attachable stroller light I had found on Amazon to help with identifying our stroller at night. There were quite a few responses about fear of it getting stolen. I hadn't even thought about that, but it got me thinking.....is it enough of a concern to not leave ANYTHING in our stroller? I mean, I get that basic measures of taking valuables with you is a necessity, etc. Experiences?

When we had to have a stroller, I think for 2 of our trips, we use to leave the diaper bag in the stroller(they were rented) with lots of stuff in it, and never had an issue. Not to say it couldn't happen but over 14 total days over 2 different years we never had an issue in all the parks.

I wasn't leaving my wallet in the stroller, and we were going in June for both of those trips, so it was plenty busy.

We have been going to Disney parks for over 20 years and have DS12 (has not used a stroller for years!) and now DS3 who still uses a stroller. Between stroller use for the both of them, we have never had anything stolen off of our stroller. I understand others will likely comment that they have. That being said, we also do not leave anything valuable on the stroller or anything we would be disappointed in losing if it were stolen. The diaper bag we leave has the typical amenities needed for a baby/now toddler. The bottom line is everyone at Disney is not honest so do not leave items that you would be upset about if they disappeared.

I've always worried about theft at Disney, just like I do anywhere else. While I personally have never had anything taken, DD's fiance had his phone stolen on their last trip from our resort lobby bathroom. All it takes is a few seconds - he had placed it on the counter to wash his hands, walked out, remembered it, and turned around and walked back in and it was gone (nobody turned it in, he checked the trash can, reported it to front desk and security. whomever took it immediately turned it off so they obviously took it with the intention of keeping it).

You can't take a stroller on nearly every ride, so you really don't have a choice but to park it and hope nobody wants it bad enough to walk away with it. But, I really do suggest taking everything else with you unless you want to take the risk it won't be there when you get back.

We have only once had to deal with theft - and a squirrel was responsible. We took a stroller that wasn't super expensive though and never left anything valuable in our stroller. We left things like changes of clothes, diapers, sunscreen, snacks, etc. They were things I didn't want stolen, but likely had little value to other people.

I would be careful leaving something like trail mix in your bag though. We had a squirrel manage to unzip our bag, breaking the zipper in the process, and then stealing the trail mix. This was in Epcot.

I have to say I really don't worry about it. We didn't leave anything in the stroller that was valuable though (purse/wallet and camera bag came on all the rides with us) When we went to eat we usually covered the stroller with an extra poncho.

If you would be upset if it was lost, don't leave it unattended. I did have a wallet stolen (my own fault I left it in the pouch on Expedition Everest). We keep valuable in a backpack that we take with us on rides. When the girls were in diapers, I had a small diaper wallet type thing that I hung on the stroller and took with me when we changed them. Extra clothes we kept in zip lock bags in the bottom of the stroller. cameras etc were in the back pack.

It's not something I think about more at Disney than anywhere else. As others have said, just don't leave anything of value to you behind. I've left changes of clothes, diapers, ponchos, etc in the stroller and have never had anything stolen. I would never leave a phone, camera, or wallet behind though. Now that my kids are out of diapers, I just carry 1 backpack with everything in it that we take everywhere with us.

Alrighty...looks like I'm on the same page as most others. I don't necessarily want to attract attention to our stroller due to this light, but I wouldn't be leaving anything of value in it anyways...and the light is only $12.

On another note....good tip about the squirrels!

I don't think about it. I don't' bring anything, though, that I would worry about getting stolen. Any money or credit cards we are not using goes right in the safe. Phone is in my back sack.

I can't believe how naive we were on our first trip to Disney 15 years ago. We left our camcorder in the stroller (visible too) when we went on rides. Shockingly, it was never taken! But I wouldn't ever try that again lol.

all the advice above is sound :) we left our stroller with a changing bag, nappies, creams, etc in it, nothing that i wouldnt want taken so no cameras money etc ...

Well, like you, I posted in response to someone who was asking about parking a stroller at a park and coming back for it later, and I said that they could push the stroller with them even if their kid wasn't using it and just use it for bags. I got several responses saying that's not wise because of theft. I honestly hadn't even thought about it. We always use the stroller our kids aren't using for bags. I don't keep valuables in it, so my camera is never left there, but if I did some shopping or something, I don't think twice about leaving it. I've never had an issue with theft, and it just hasn't worried me all that much. Not that this is something that should EVER be taken advantage of, but I do know that most times if you have a souvenir that is stolen or broken or lost in the parks, if you let a CM know, the thing can be replaced or taken care of. Now, don't say that I'm condoning those idiots who do dishonest things like claim something they bought in the parks went missing just to score a second souvenir. But I am saying that CMs take care of their guests in the unfortunate event that you are robbed and it's a souvenir or item that was bought in the park.

.......Not that this is something that should EVER be taken advantage of, but I do know that most times if you have a souvenir that is stolen or broken or lost in the parks, if you let a CM know, the thing can be replaced or taken care of. Now, don't say that I'm condoning those idiots who do dishonest things like claim something they bought in the parks went missing just to score a second souvenir. But I am saying that CMs take care of their guests in the unfortunate event that you are robbed and it's a souvenir or item that was bought in the park.

What?? Are you saying they if you have a souvenir stolen when you're at WDW, that you will get it replaced for free? That is just nonsense.

We got our double stroller stolen on our (I think) 2013 trip. Thankfully, we are the type of people who take all of our stuff with us on rides, so the only thing we lost was the stroller. However, there was another family who had their stroller stolen that night with ALL of their stuff on it. Expensive camera, kids' souvenirs, etc. So sad. I wouldn't leave anything on a stroller unless its something you wouldn't mind having stolen.

I worry exactly the same amount as I do at home, or on vacation upstate.

I'm not afraid to walk away from something I wouldn't miss.

I have never been overly concerned with leaving my stroller anywhere at Disney, but I also only leave sweatshirts, half-eaten bags of popcorn, and an occasional diaper bag. Anything of value is on our person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter