How Not to Spend To Much at Christmas

I think it's a difference in how different people define "need" I don't think anyone here is saying that if their child doesn't have a winter coat and it's 20 degrees F outside, they would wait until Christmas to give their child a coat as a Christmas gift. However, things like toothbrushes, socks or underwear (which need to be replaced fairly often) can be considered needs but aren't something that a child necessarily needs right away so they can wait to be given as Christmas gifts instead of just being bought at non-holiday times.
Hope that helps.

Helen

And it also gives parents the opportunity to hammer home the fact that you can and should be appreciative of the small stuff too. Not all gifts need to be over the top... whether extravagant, or fun, or whatever.

That way when Aunt Mildred thinks an incredibly ugly oven mitt shaped like a fish is the perfect gift to give a 7 year old at the family Christmas party... (yep, happened; name was just changed to protect the semi-innocent) Hopefully said 7 year old has had enough practice with receiving stuff she didn't necessarily want, that she is able to politely say thank you instead of breaking into tears. ;)

I have to disagree. In my mind it makes perfect sense. When times are tight there are frequently things that a person needs that continues to get put on the back burner. Heck, that can be true even when times aren't tight. Maybe its something small like winter socks or something larger like a new cell phone. My kids get something they need every year, warm pajamas and slippers. Honestly, as they get older they get more need based things. The wants are getting too darned expensive!

That's just how we do needs. :thumbsup2

Still don't get it, sorry. If you need something, you need it.

It would be nice if we could run out and buy something every time we need it.....

....And the one year that I forgot to put toothbrushes in the stockings, they were all like :scared1: "Where's my toothbrush??"

Growing up we used to get a tangerine in our stocking. The one time we didn't we were :scared1: "Where's the tangerine" ;)

How does this prevent you from spending too much? Buying four gifts might be more expensive than buying 10 gifts (depending on price). I like the idea, but don't see how it saves money.

IMO... don't want to spend too much... make a budget and stick to it.

It can help from seeing a "perfect" gift and buying it, then another shopping trip seeing the "perfect" gift and buying that also; sorry not everyone has the self control. :cool1: I also think it's fun finding gifts that fit in the categories.

I would never give a person a need for Christmas. Clothes can be a need or a want. If one has holes in their socks then they are replaced. Everyday socks are not a Christmas gift. Now if the person had their eyes on expensive specialty socks they could be a Christmas gift because they are not a need but a want. Same goes for clothes. If you need a new coat you get it. If you want brand X that is really expensive then it is a want and a Christmas gift.

I set a low budget so I can spend a little extra and still stay in my real budget. Usually I spend between my low budget and my real budget. I love the hunt of finding the perfect gift within my budget and getting it as cheaply as possible. If I get it cheap then there is money for another gift for that person.

A friend of mine has always told her children that Baby Jesus was brought 3 gifts, so that's all that her children get (plus stocking stuff.) I've always thougth that was a nice way to keep things from getting out of control financially (although you could go crazy with how much each of the 3 things cost!) as well keeping the kids from thinking alot of "stuff" is what Christmas is about.

I thought I'd share how we do Christmas in our house. I read this somewhere a couple of years ago and think it works great. We base our gifts on this little poem, so everyone gets 4 gifts. This is just for our immediate family.

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear,
Something to read.

I read about this on this board a few weeks ago. (something to play with was inserted for something to wear.) I think it is a great idea and we will be using it this Christmas for our family. I have set an equal budget for my kids (my children are older) and they get to be creative coming up with a list that meets the 4 gift criteria. Their "want" item can be 90% of their budget if they want, I dont care, and everyone will have 4 gifts to open and equitable $$ spent.

No one in our family objects to a "need" based gift. Some may feel this to be too practical, but times being as they are, it works for us. Maybe something homemade/handmade would be nice to include, but it doesn't work with the rhyme! LOL!

Well I think some people are taking it way to seriously and it is fun little poem. Thanks Op for posting it :)

I tend to give needs because some of the needs are also wants..like my inlaws just said they are looking around for a GPS because they "Need" one. DH and I will be getting them one for Xmas so for us that would fill in the "need" catogory for them...

I guess i just see the poem differently kind of like
Something Borrowed
Something Blue
Something Old
Something New..

Fun and a great way to start a tradition :)

My DD25 asked for new tires for her car this year. I guess that moves to the want category because she just got the $200 she needed to fix her car after the deer hit her. We are going to tell her the $200 is a Christmas gift since she just moved and her money is really tight right now.

Well I think some people are taking it way to seriously and it is fun little poem. Thanks Op for posting it :)......

Thanks :flower3: I put it out there because I thought it's cute and fun and maybe someone else could get some use out of it. Merry Christmas! :goodvibes

We dont celebrate Christmas. We celebrate Hannukah bit we have always done something like this for the past 5 years. When my brother and I were younger, we got more than 4 gifts because we got 7 small gifts and 1 big gift for the 8 nights of Hannukah but lately its been much more need based.

This year, I already know that I am getting:
"want"- Tickets to NYE concert with Kristin Chenoweth
"need"- I asked for a gas card since I have already spent $75 on filling my car this month
"read"- don't know what this is yet....I already have so many books that I dont have time to read because I am always reading class material so I havent asked for anything
"wear"- $100 specifically for clothes. My parents dont want to get me specific GCs because depending on what the stores have, I might spend teh money at 1 store or I might spend it at 3 stores. But the money HAS to be used for clothes and/or shoes

The clothes and the gas card i think were going to be bought for me anyways but the KC concert tickets were a surprise and I am so thrilled about that!!

We are also going to WDW for 6 days in December. This trip is the family hannukah present as well as a, we all survived the past year and we have an enagement to celebrate trip...lol
My parents decided that after 3 hospitalizations plus brain surgery, I deserved to go back to WDW adn they didnt want that to be considered my only "gift". Its a gift for the entire family since we are all close to losing our sanity.

I do this, but it is 5 gifts as I've added: Something from my heart. This year the "need" is a new beach towel and goggles. Both of my girls are swimmers and although they don't "need" it today, the will! The "heart" gift is an oyster with a pearl as we ran out of time at Disney. I do set a budget and shop all year round. The only last minute gift is the "read" as I need to see what series they are into and then use a 40% off Border's coupon. I might be under budget this year as I found jeans at Wal Mart for $1.00/pair and the beach towels were on clearance.

Thanks OP, I really love this idea and think that I will put it into effect next year (already almost finished with my kiddos this year). This year we really had to cut back on the amount of gifts we are giving our children. They are getting 5 gifts from us and 1 gift from Santa. We have always included needs into our Christmas giving, if we didn't we wouldn't have much of a budget for Christmas.

I like the idea of the four items, but it's no guarantee you won't spend a bundle anyway. For Christmas this year my DS, 17 "wants" $249 earbuds for his computer/iTouch. :confused3

I thought I'd share how we do Christmas in our house. I read this somewhere a couple of years ago and think it works great. We base our gifts on this little poem, so everyone gets 4 gifts. This is just for our immediate family.

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear,
Something to read.

Thanks for posting this, OP. I like this idea. :) I had heard it once before a while ago, but had forgotten about it.

Regarding people saying that they don't get buying "needs" for Christmas, I don't think you are judging, but I guess I just see it differently. Some people may only be able to buy "needs" for their kids at Christmas and that's it.
You and I may be able to give our kids all that they need and a lot of want they want; however, not everyone is that fortunate (especially nowadays), and I definitely get that.

"Something you need" is a matter of perspective. DS has told me several times that he needs certain XBox games. :)

Seriously, I like the poem. I'll have to mull over the "need" part of it though. We never buy clothing as gifts for DS just because he couldn't care less what he wears. It's not as much fun if they prefer to wear just plain jeans and t-shirts.

I apologize for reviving an old post, but I was looking for this info - I'm just beginning to get into the mood to start thinking about Christmas...

My first (and only so far) DD is 1.5 yo, and I want to get this tradition started early, so it's in place when the "gimmies" start up!

I like the idea of only giving Santa 2-3 items on his list, and having a separate list for Mom & Dad...

We don't over spend because I use cash. I take the amount we are going to use and put it in envelope and use that all gifts, wrapping paper, special foods for parties etc. Works pretty well!

Love the poem and idea of the limited gifts. Combined with a true budget that would be great for many families!!!

We give lots of needs! Wrap up those underwear they need anyway and they are just excited to have another gift to open! I do try to make any Christmas needs a little special. I might buy the spider man underwear that cost 10.00, rather than the plain whites ones I would normally buy for 8.00. That is always the way I do stockings. I fill DS's 19 with the higher end version stuff he needs like toothpaste, body wash etc. He is thrilled. DH and I always give each other mostly needs.

Typically, we have excessive Christmases, but I told the kids if they wanted to do Disney again next year, we would have to limit it.
They made a list of want, need, wear, read...and I added 3 small things to it. Plus a limited list from Santa.
I will say that it is helping me stay on budget.

An example of a need from my daughter's list -
her soccer bag is usable, but starting to fall apart, so she said she needs a new soccer bag.

my youngest son's CD player died (radio still works). He listens to music when he sleeps. So, his need is a new CD player.

While those are things they could live without, the way I approached it with them was something that needs replacing...I guess.

We give needs. Not really stuff like toothbrushes, but things like car insurance for 6 months. They pay their own, but we think we will be doing this a Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter