How Not to Spend To Much at Christmas

Still don't get it, sorry. If you need something, you need it.

Yep. And a BIG part of what we give for Christmas is need based items. My kids get toothbrushes and other hygeine items in their stockings. They get pajamas, they get slippers, they get boots and hats and gloves. They also get underwear and jeans and socks. All stuff that they NEED.

:rotfl: They'd get it anyway, but somehow it's more fun for them to unwrap it and get it than have Mom drag them to Target to buy it and try it on. And they figure they are getting tons of gifts because there's a big pile of stuff under the tree.

One year I didn't give toothbrushes, and they were all like: WHERE ARE OUR TOOTHBRUSHES? :rotfl2:

It teaches them that giving and being generous doesn't always mean just getting things that you WANT.

Yep. And a BIG part of what we give for Christmas is need based items. My kids get toothbrushes and other hygeine items in their stockings. They get pajamas, they get slippers, they get boots and hats and gloves. They also get underwear and jeans and socks. All stuff that they NEED.

:rotfl: They'd get it anyway, but somehow it's more fun for them to unwrap it and get it than have Mom drag them to Target to buy it and try it on. And they figure they are getting tons of gifts because there's a big pile of stuff under the tree.

One year I didn't give Pajamas, and they were all like: WHERE ARE OUR PAJAMAS? :rotfl2:

It teaches them that giving and being generous doesn't always mean just getting things that you WANT.

Ok.

It's a year later and I still don't get it. Pretty sure you won't convince me. But if it works for you, great! :thumbsup2

I like the idea in the poem. We always give 'needs' gifts. One year my daughter was having a hard time financially so for Christmas I filled a huge box with toilet tissue-detergent-body wash-toothpaste....just a bunch of household items that she needed but was skimping on just to pay bills. Oh one year it seemed like it was always 'that time of month' for one or the other of my two daughters, lol. So I got them both a large package of...........:lmao: Last year I got each of them a nice razor as they used the cheapo razors & didn't like them. My sons both work outdoors so they always get things like work boots-thick gloves-thick socks etc.

Ok.

It's a year later and I still don't get it. Pretty sure you won't convince me. But if it works for you, great! :thumbsup2

I can't figure out what there is to "get"? Some people wrap up "need" type items for Christmas presents, and some people don't. I'm not trying to be snarky, I just don't get what you don't get about it?

I tend to go overboard with gifts so this year we implemented a new rule. There will 3 gifts from mom and dad, one gift from Santa, and their stockings will be filled. Then there will be one gift for the whole family to enjoy. That is it. Birthdays are now limited too. They will get one gift and dinner of their choice. I grew up in a large family and my mother also went overboard with gifts but for four kids and three adults in the house. I tend to look at my tree and think there isn't enough so I go buy more and then more and then more. Yeah, putting a stop to that this year. Though I am not sure how much it is saving me. DS is still getting a TV for Christmas. His is dying.

I can't figure out what there is to "get"? Some people wrap up "need" type items for Christmas presents, and some people don't. I'm not trying to be snarky, I just don't get what you don't get about it?

I do not understand giving Xmas gifts that are needs unless that is all that your budget allows. Quite frankly, I think it's weird. But I would imagine that some find it weird that I would never give underwear or socks (as example) for Xmas unless they were requested or wanted.

We address needs all year long. Wants are mostly reserved for Xmas and birthdays.

Now if I had older or adult children that requested practical gifts (or needs), I would have no problem giving them.

Make sense?

We've done thing you want, thing you need, thing you wear and thing you read for our kids for the past 8 years.

For needs, we do things beyond clothes and stuff that are daily needs and try to think outside the box.

Last year DS who was 17 got stuff he would need at college (laundry hamper, shower caddy etc) DS15 got a shower radio. Not something he had ever asked for, but he NEEDED it because it has a clock and he was constantly running late for school :) DD's need last year was a new travel duffle bag since her little suitcase was too babyish for her at 9. DS5 got an alarm clock.

None of things are day to day needs like clothes, because we do clothes as their something to wear. We try to make the "needs" fun and practical and something they wouldn't think of. This year youngest DS and DD are getting bookshelves. Oldest DS is getting a giftcard to the college bookstore. DS16 is getting movie theater tickets/giftcards because he keeps asking me for $$ to go to the movies :)

Chelley00-I think those are great ideas and that's what we try to do also for the needs.

**Now remember everyone -- take the advice in the first post in which it was given. Instead of saying how it doesn't work for you or you just don't get it why don't we post suggestions of ideas for each category? Wouldn't it be nice to have a pleasant thread to read? :goodvibes

I apologize for reviving an old post, but I was looking for this info - I'm just beginning to get into the mood to start thinking about Christmas...

My first (and only so far) DD is 1.5 yo, and I want to get this tradition started early, so it's in place when the "gimmies" start up!

I like the idea of only giving Santa 2-3 items on his list, and having a separate list for Mom & Dad...

Here's another idea we use that might be of interest to you. When the kids say they want something I tell them we can "put it on their list". I've been saying this to them as soon as they were able to convey they want something so now a lot of times they just ask to put something on their list instead of begging for it. Now the thing is they've never asked to see a list or have me actually write down a list yet! :thumbsup2 My oldest will be 4 in a couple of months so maybe we'll actually make a list soon.

We do some "need" gifts. However, I tend to splurge a little so they are still fun/special. For example, i wouldn't give them white socks but i would give fun socks.

To help me save, my tactic is too not start too early. In the past when I set a goal to be done at a certain time, I kept seeing things I wanted to add or finding great deals. I ended up spending a lot more than I planned on. Growing up my mom was done before Thanksgiving and my dad would wait until Chirstmas Eve to venture out. I am somewhere in between. I don't start until December hits and I get it all done and I dont feel pressed for time.

Everyone's budget is different. In hard times (any time really) I would suggest Christmas experiences, especially if you have older kids. Many communities have free concerts, plays, holiday decorations, etc. If you have snow in your area you could have a family day outside enjoying each other. Christmas movie nights, making cookies and popcorn balls are fun too. Also helping out others in your community is a great experience. There are many nursing homes, local agencies, etc that welcome any extra holiday cheer.

Every parent wants to make the holiday magical for thier kids. I think a balance between what is under the tree and the importance of family and giving is a great gift that will last them a lifetime.

Growing up my family's finances fluctuated and some of the best Christmas' are the ones where presents were not the main focus and the best thing to look foward too.

Here is a twist on "need". Our children are required to save some money (their decision how much) to donate to charity at christmas. They look forward each year to sitting down and discussing who needs their money the most. Sometimes it is a good lesson to remember that we are not as needy as others.

I filled a huge box with toilet tissue-detergent-body wash-toothpaste.... Oh one year it seemed like it was always 'that time of month' for one or the other of my two daughters, lol. So I got them both a large package of...........:lmao:

Toilet paper and tampons...my house just voted and you won the prize. Funniest, yet worst gifts ever!!!:rotfl2::rotfl: That is awesome!! I may steal it this year just for the laughs.

Seriously though, I do give a few "need" gifts. I always put underwear in stockings but DS's will be extra nice boxers and DD's will be VS with matching bras. Last year, DD15 needed a new thin yet warm jacket. Since it was Christmas I spent the extra and got Northface. DS26 always asks for new work shoes and slacks. This year DD needs a new phone. Since it's Christmas, she'll get the iphone 4s. DD studies ballet and always needs new leos. Since it's Christmas, I'll spend the extra for the Wearmoi that she loves.

I give my kids 10 gifts each. Always have- for 26 years now. If DS ever marries I wouldn't give him as many but for now he celebrates with us and only gets gifts from us. Don't know why I settled on 10 but it works for me and always just seemed like the right amount. When they were little, I never gave clothes as that wasn't exciting to little ones. Now they ask for them. One gift is something big but many of them are small- DVDs, an itunes card, a $30-40 event ticket (this year Billy Elliott for DD and La Cage for everyone).

We haven't limited it necessarily to 4 gifts, but we do try to embrace the principle of something you want (the BIG gift), something you need, something to wear and something to read.

For the "need" or necessities type gifts, I'll buy something a little nicer/ different from usual. For example, DD13 needs moisturizer which I'd normally pick up at the drug store etc. She's just discovered that she likes Bath & Body Works products, so I'll give her a BBW gift set as her "need" gift

Similarly, stocking stuffers at our house are often a fun take on the basics. Novelty stationery instead of the bare-bones office supply stuff I'd normally buy for school, funky socks instead of the plain white ones required to satisfy school uniform regulations ... that's the way we do things at my house.

Our "kids" are older now...youngest is 13, eldest is 21 and between them they have every tech toy and gadget imaginable. We took the decision, particularly with our nearly 20 year old girls, that their gifts will include something that will serve them in the long run - e.g. nice gold jewelry, good wallet, decent watch, generally less trendy stuff that will be more appropriate for life after graduation from university. So far, they've responded well. Last year, we gave them each a "little black dress" (both bought on sale) - they LOVED that idea, because then they didn't have to go out and buy an outfit for the dressy New Year Eve parties they'd been invited to attend. I guess the little black dresses were a bit of want and need.

Eldest is living on his own, so he appreciates practical gifts that help reduce his living expenses. Still wants his stocking though!

We don't do the 'poem' but I do stick to a strict budget. Usually its based on which kid wanted something really expensive & then the other kids budget is put at that level. I do go a bit above the expensive gift so both kids get more than 1 thing under the tree. It does make it a bit uneven AFA gift amounts but I'm a bargain hunter so I can make a little look like a lot.
AFA 'needs' my DS wears a hoodie to school every day. His favorite is wearing out so instead of purchasing a cheap one at Wal-Mart my mom is going to get him a nice one at Mardel. If he needed it right now I'd of course buy it for him but he doesn't so his need can wait until Christmas.

Yea, we don't do the poem thing, but what a great idea especially if you have children. We are on a tight budget this year, and we'll probably do one main gift each, and a few stocking stuffers. I've set a $$ amount, so when it runs out no more buying gifts! :santa:

It's interesting to see who likes to give clothes and stuff like that as Christmas gifts. When I was growing up, my Dad refused to give us 'need' items because he said growing up that's what he got for Christmas and he didn't like it.

The first time I got clothes for Christmas I was 22 and it was from my In-Laws! I personally love getting 'need' items for Christmas, my MIL has great taste in clothes. :goodvibes

But everyone has their own style of gift giving, that's what makes us all unique! :upsidedow

diznee25

I can see needs gifts for older kids out of the house that need help with basic everyday expenses.

But little kids - no way. It's my responsibility to give them clothes when they need them. There will never be PJs, socks, underwear under the tree (not flaming, just remembering my childhood and choosing not to repeat it).

OP the main way I trimmed up Christmas was to talk to the adults and set a limit. Some I don't exchange with at all. We don't have needy people in our family right now, so an even swap is silly.

Also, even though I don't care for Walmart, I did site to store shipping and finished Santa gifts several weeks ago.

Oh and the best way not to go over budget? I am skipping black Friday. I always end up with things I had to have at 3am that seem stupid at 8am.

Ok, maybe my kids are weird but they LIKE to get PJs & slippers for Christmas. DD was just looking at a catalog yesterday and picked out 3 pairs she liked & wanted for Christmas. It could be because that is the traditional Eve gift they get to open. Then everyone has nice new pjs to wear when opening gifts the next morning. Same w/toothbrushes or toothpaste that's "different" or fun somehow. It goes in the stocking w/lip gloss, candy bars, and goofy small toys like silly putty.

They do get toys but also books and things for their rooms that could be considered needs or wants. DD17 will get a lot of college stuff this year and she loves that kind of stuff - organizing bins, cute storage containers, a hot pink hair dryer, etc.

I suppose if they grew up receiving x-boxes and the latest cell phones, they might be disappointed to suddenly get pjs & fun socks but since we've always done a combo of toys & needs, they are used to it. That's the way I grew up and never thought about or resented it.

I told my mom about this idea and she is going to use it for the grandkids. She has 8, so she thought it would be fun.

I actually give my kids a few "needs" type items every year. They always get a few pairs of matching PJs, matching swimsuits for the following summer, "fun" socks, and art supplies like crayons and markers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter