How old is too old for DD's to go with DH in the men's room?

Why would a 6 year old girl be standing by a urinal? I would imagine a father would be taking her into the stalls, especially considering girls can't pee in a urinal.

I just asked my husband about this because he was a single father before I came along. When we met, his twins were 5 ( boy and girl). He said that he always took her because he had to. It's not like guys just have their willies hanging out everywhere. However, he did say that he always felt uncomfortable about it because he does think it's wierder. But she was never exposed to anything.
And in the end he was more comfortable with that than her going alone.
You gotta do what you gotta do.

Why would a 6 year old girl be standing by a urinal? I would imagine a father would be taking her into the stalls, especially considering girls can't pee in a urinal.

I just asked my husband about this because he was a single father before I came along. When we met, his twins were 5 ( boy and girl). He said that he always took her because he had to. It's not like guys just have their willies hanging out everywhere. However, he did say that he always felt uncomfortable about it because he does think it's wierder. But she was never exposed to anything.
And in the end he was more comfortable with that than her going alone.
You gotta do what you gotta do.

The urinals are in the bathroom, have you ever been in a mens room. you just can't avoid them, lol. I would also very much expect the child to wash her hands.
Of course it was very uncomfortable...which is exactly the point.

Honestly I have never sent my daughter into the mens room with my husband. Especially at 7, she would just go in the womens room. I can't imagine a situation where a 7yo girl can't use the bathroom by herself. Especially if we were together I would have just taken both girls. I would see no reason to give my husband one of the girls, that doesn't make sense to me.

Now I also have two boys. I feel that a little different. I will send my boys together into the mens room, they are 6 and 7. If only one of them needs to go I will send them into the girls room. If we are all going to the bathroom then I just take them with me in the girls room.

So you see no problem in sending a 7 year old girl into the ladies room, but not a 7 year old boy into the mens room? And you would send him into the ladies room, without you? That's odd.

So you see no problem in sending a 7 year old girl into the ladies room, but not a 7 year old boy into the mens room? And you would send him into the ladies room, without you? That's odd.

I don't think thats odd. How many times have you heard of girls being molested or hurt by women in a womens room? Never right? But you hear about it happening in mens rooms all the time. Plus in a womens room I can peek in and see that it's empty...can't do that in a mens room.
I don't alwasy feel the need to stand next to a 7yo while they use the bathroom either. My 7yo has been using the bathroom for 5 years...he can do it by himself now, lol.

Hi there,

I have two DD's aged 4 and just turned 7. Last year in Disney, the girls were 3 and just turned 6 and we took turns during washroom breaks. Sometimes I took older DD and DH took younger, and sometimes we switched. Also we did split up a few times and if that DD had to go DH would take them to the washroom.

This year DD is 7 and while she doesn't care or show any embarrassment about going into the men's room I wonder if she is getting to the age where she might make the men in there feel uncomfortable?

I will take older DD into the ladies room when she is with me, but if her and DH split up, is it ok for him to bring her in? I just am not comfortable with her going into the women's restroom alone yet. Sorry, she just seems too young!

What age is too old for a girl to go in the washroom with her dad in public?
I think that 6 years old is about the limit for girls to go into the mens room or for boys to go into the ladies room. By 7 kids are perfectly capable to use their own gender's bathroom on their own, especially at WDW.

For me there is a huge difference between a little girl in the mens room and a little boy in the ladies room. I have boys and I'm not about to send my almost 5 year old into the mens room alone. But if I had a girl I would have DH send her alone. By the time my oldest is too old, my youngest will be old enough to send them together.

I do agree that the what do you do when you need to go and they don't is a bit of a bigger problem!!
I think that is a total double standard. There is nothing wrong with a boy gonig to the men's room alone. The idea that he will surely be molested is frankly rubbish. It is not more likely to happen in a men's room than anywhere else. The media portraly of such incidents has made parents in this country afraid of thier own shadow becuase it could be hiding a pervert. After all, every grown man is just looking to molest someone, right? :rotfl:

The urinals are in the bathroom, have you ever been in a mens room. you just can't avoid them, lol. I would also very much expect the child to wash her hands.
Of course it was very uncomfortable...which is exactly the point.

I never said that it wouldn't be uncomfortable nor that it's ideal. But it is sometimes necessary. My issue is with people assuming that just because a child is a certain age means they should or shouldn't be doing certain things. Every child is different and some have more needs than others. There is no magical cut off age.

I never said that it wouldn't be uncomfortable nor that it's ideal. But it is sometimes necessary. My issue is with people assuming that just because a child is a certain age means they should or shouldn't be doing certain things. Every child is different and some have more needs than others. There is no magical cut off age.

umm...ok. of course kids do things at different times.

I don't think thats odd. How many times have you heard of girls being molested or hurt by women in a womens room? Never right? But you hear about it happening in mens rooms all the time.

Yes, all of the time. As a matter of fact, it's happened to my boys on more than once, DH too, happens all of the time ;). Actually, your ds has a greater chance of winning the lottery, and being struck by lightening many times over, than being molested in the mens room. Statistically, his odds are pretty much zero.

And if you choose to act on your irrational fears, and send him into the wrong restroom, please have the manners to supervise him, and make sure he is not making our daughters feel uncomfortable.

I don't think thats odd. How many times have you heard of girls being molested or hurt by women in a womens room? Never right? But you hear about it happening in mens rooms all the time. Plus in a womens room I can peek in and see that it's empty...can't do that in a mens room.
I don't alwasy feel the need to stand next to a 7yo while they use the bathroom either. My 7yo has been using the bathroom for 5 years...he can do it by himself now, lol.

You don't read much then do you?

Actually it is extremely rare and not worth the fear of so many over protective parents because it rarely rarely happens BUT the last child that was attempted to be "hurt" in our area was a girl and are you ready it was in the WOMAN'S ROOM!!!! I say attempted because the little girl was used to going on her own and knew what to do.

And if you choose to act on your irrational fears, and send him into the wrong restroom, please have the manners to supervise him, and make sure he is not making our daughters feel uncomfortable.

Exactly and as I said in the other thread take him into your stall with you! If he is too old to go into the stall with you, if you feel uncomfortable THEN he is too old to be in there.

Yes, all of the time. As a matter of fact, it's happened to my boys on more than once, DH too, happens all of the time ;). Actually, your ds has a greater chance of winning the lottery, and being struck by lightening many times over, than being molested in the mens room. Statistically, his odds are pretty much zero.

It happened to my nephew when he was 5...he's now 19. You may want to make light of the situation, but to some people it is very real...whether you make fun of it or not.

I teach my children how to behave, they don't need supervision to use a toilet.

Exactly and as I said in the other thread take him into your stall with you! If he is too old to go into the stall with you, if you feel uncomfortable THEN he is too old to be in there.

lol...my 3yo niece can use her own stall in a bathroom, but I wouldn't not go into a bathroom with her. Thats just ridiculous, lol.

It has nothing to do with "me" feeling uncomfortable...I just do the whole teaching my kids how to be independent thing. You know that crazy thing called parenting.

lol...my 3yo niece can use her own stall in a bathroom, but I wouldn't not go into a bathroom with her. Thats just ridiculous, lol.

It has nothing to do with "me" feeling uncomfortable...I just do the whole teaching my kids how to be independent thing. You know that crazy thing called parenting.

It has everything to do with you feeling uncomfortable!!! You are admitting they know how to go by themselves so why don't they? Because You feel uncomfortable. you are not teaching them to be independent. If you were you would let a reasonable age child go to the correct gender bathroom.

It is not ridiculous. My DD doesn't want a boy her age watching her go to the bathroom but you obviously do so take them in with you!

It has everything to do with you feeling uncomfortable!!! You are admitting they know how to go by themselves so why don't they? Because You feel uncomfortable. you are not teaching them to be independent. If you were you would let a reasonable age child go to the correct gender bathroom.

It is not ridiculous. My DD doesn't want a boy her age watching her go to the bathroom but you obviously do so take them in with you!

umm...what? they do go by themselves. Thats what I said. That I send them to go by themselves. You might want to actually read responses:confused3
In every womens room I have ever been in there are doors to stalls. Teach your kid to shut it and she won't have a problem.

umm...what? they do go by themselves. Thats what I said. That I send them to go by themselves. You might want to actually read responses:confused3
In every womens room I have ever been in there are doors to stalls. Teach your kid to shut it and she won't have a problem.
Until some little boy sticks his head under, or peeks through the cracks, or snatches open the door whose latch doesn't really latch, all of which have happened to me at one time or another.

I thin kthis is exactly it. If you don't want them in the stall with you then send them to the correct restroom. If you are uncomfrotble at the prospect, then everyone else in the restroom likely is as well. Yes, ther are stalls, but there are also cracks in those stalls, ect. it is easy enough to see in if you are a curious boy who is well beyond old enough to be using the mens room.

Until some little boy sticks his head under, or peeks through the cracks, or snatches open the door whose latch doesn't really latch, all of which have happened to me at one time or another.

Really????? In all the bathrooms I have ever been in, I have NEVER once had this happen to me, EVER! :confused3 And when my boys were young enough that they needed to go in with me, they were very well behaved, and most times, went into the stall with me.

Really????? In all the bathrooms I have ever been in, I have NEVER once had this happen to me, EVER! :confused3 And when my boys were young enough that they needed to go in with me, they were very well behaved, and most times, went into the stall with me.
I have had kids peek under partitions and between the cracks. Not often, but more than once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter