How to make an easy tutu and hair bows~updated!

Thank you so much for sharing these!! I have spent so much on these types of bows in the past, how great to be able to make my own!!

The knot, do you just make a knot with some ribbon and cut the extra off and then glue it on?

Thank you again!

Oh and both of my girls saw me looking at this thread and are now dying for me to make the minnie tutu's:)

I did tutus at Halloween, but made mine slightly different. I used elastic and measured the waist, then took a bit off and hand stitched it. (This was for a teenager, to go under her costume)

Instead of cutting my strips, I did double the length and made a u-shape, wrapped it around the band, then I pulled the ends through, and snugged it. Similar to what they do when they tie a calloon for a child's wrist? It actually made the waist less bulky and made the whole process go faster. Also you can buy tulle on the bolt and cut your own strips, which is more time consuming, but cheaper in the end.

Thanks for the bow instructions! I've spent god knows what on bows in the past 10 years I'm going to try to make some

To make the knot for the middle you just take the same ribbon and then make it into the shape of the breast sticker awareness symbol and the just stick one end through the middle and then pull. Then all you have to do is glue it on. Was that clear as mud? :) If you would like to se it in action check out this website www.hair-hardware.com they also show you how to make those really cool headbands.

Thank you so much for sharing these!! I have spent so much on these types of bows in the past, how great to be able to make my own!!

The knot, do you just make a knot with some ribbon and cut the extra off and then glue it on?

Thank you again!

Oh and both of my girls saw me looking at this thread and are now dying for me to make the minnie tutu's:)

Pretty much! Someone beat me to it, but you make the "breast cancer awareness" ribbon and then knot it. I make sure to wrap the excess around the clip that I am using, to secure it.

Thanks for the bow instructions! I've spent god knows what on bows in the past 10 years I'm going to try to make some

Tell me about it! :rolleyes: At $25-$30 for a pair of bows, it got quite expensive!

To make the knot for the middle you just take the same ribbon and then make it into the shape of the breast sticker awareness symbol and the just stick one end through the middle and then pull. Then all you have to do is glue it on. Was that clear as mud? :) If you would like to se it in action check out this website www.hair-hardware.com they also show you how to make those really cool headbands.

:thumbsup2 Bingo!

OMG!!!!!!! This is absolutely brilliant!!! You are so awesome for sharing this with us. Thank you so much. Gotta run....off to Michael's.

That was perfectly clear, thanks!! You have no idea how much money you have saved me, or maybe not since now I'll want to make bows to go with everything! :rotfl:

I'm so doing both of those; how did you do the double bows?
Thanks ladies for posting them!!!

I'm so doing both of those; how did you do the double bows?
Thanks ladies for posting them!!!

I did the double bows the same way I did the minnie bow...just 2 layers.

If you want the extra loop, it's not that hard to do. I will try to make a set and post some pictures on here for you later. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for posting this! Now only if it would stop snowing so I could go out and get supplies! I knew I cut thoses Micheal's and JoAnn's for a reason.
I am thinking matching Minnie Mouse tutus and bows for the girls for our upcoming trip!
Thanks!

WOW!! AWESOME!!

I am going to go buy some tulle later this week and see what I can concoct for our next trip - DD will love this!!

Thank you!!

Thank you for sharing! I have tried several times to learn how to make bows and can never get it right - your directions are so simple! :goodvibes

Linda, THANK YOU so much! I've been making the tutus here and there but I never thought of just buying the headbands and the coffee can trick! How awesome!!! And the bows are adorable, I'm all thumbs when it came to following directions online - your photos were perfect! Thanks again for sharing!:hug:

Just wanted to thank you so much for sharing such great instructions! One of my DD's loves the color yellow, and I've not been able to find her a yellow tutu - now I can just make one!

Thans so much! :)

The spool tulle is very easy to work with but is sometimes hard to find or more expensive. This is how you work with flat tulle on a bolt that you can get at WalMart or fabric store.

Cutting tulle:

EDIT: the directions I saw on youtube said 4 yards cut in 3 inch strips. However, after making several I prefer 6 yards cut in 5 inch pieces.
If you can go on a slow day have them cut the tulle in 1 yard pieces. This is a big time saver. You will need 6 yards of tulle.

DSC02894.jpg

Here are 4 one yard pieces ready to go. You could do 4 different colors using 1 yard of each color.
Edit: use 6 yards.

DSC02895.jpg

A 1 yard piece laid out in front of you. The piece will be folded in half as it comes off of the bolt. The 36 inch long folded part is in front of you. You want to go ahead and cut this at the fold (where the scissors are). Now you will have 2 36x28 pieces in front of you. One stacked on top of the other.

DSC02896.jpg

Then simply roll the tulle until it looks like a wrapping paper tube.

DSC02898.jpg

The edge will not completely line up so cut off about a 1 inch piece that you will through away. Then measure and cut 5 inch pieces. You will get about 10 pieces per yard. Continue with your other 5 yards.

DSC02900.jpg

This is all 4 yards finished-on the right you will see the end scraps that you want to through away. Remember when you unroll each pieces you will have 2 strips.

You can now take your tulle strips and tie them onto a hairband as directed in post one.

Alternate ribbon Waist:

You will need 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch ribbon. I bought this 1 1/2 inch ribbon at Costco~ 50 yards was $7.00. :thumbsup2

DSC02903.jpg

You will need slightly more than 2 yards of your ribbon. Measure 20 inches then tie a knot, measure 20 more inches and tie the second knot, then measure 20 more inches and cut. So you have a center 20 inch section to tie the tulle to and then two 20 inch tails.

DSC02904.jpg

Make your tulle into a U shape. Place it behind your ribbon, then loop the tulle tails through the opening.

DSC02906.jpg

Switch colors after every 4 pieces.

DSC02923.jpg

Finished tutu with 2 colors of tulle.

DSC02879.jpg

Finished tutu with 4 colors.

DSC02917.jpg

Dance, dance, dance.

Oops, forgot to say that I learned this off of a you tube video. So a big thanks to Julie (I think that was her name.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter