How to make the most of a 3 night cruise?

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
We will be going on our first cruise in December. Me, DH, DS (9) and DD (5). Any suggestions on how to make the most of the cruise experience? Wovenwonder has already given me some tips. Just wondering what you might have as tips or suggestions for us!

We have requested the early seating for dinner.

Hi,
Which 3-night cruise are you on?

Spend a little more money and do at least the 4 day!! Four days were barely enough time to enjoy everything much less a 3 day. The 4 day cruise we have booked was $20 more/person than the 3 day in the same time frame. Just my suggestion and remember you asked for it!!!

The 3-day really is too short, but if you can't afford to take the kids out of school during the weekdays, your choices are limited.
To get the most out of a 3 day, my suggestions would be:

1. Make sure you are at the port early to embark right away.

2. Stay on the ship in Nassau - you're paying for this lovely ship, take advantage of it while it's less crowded. Nassau is no big thrill!

3. Start packing up some of your things in the afternoon once you return from Castaway Cay. It really cuts into your last evening when you're rushing around to get your luggage out by 11PM.
This is why I loved the 4-day with the day at sea, I was in and out of the room throughout the day to organize things and we still enjoyed the evening.

4. Only one adult attend the disembarkment talk. No need to cut into the kids fun!

Have fun! Natt

YOu can watch the disembarkment talk on TV. That's what we did the first time on our cruise while we packed. On our second cruise we saw it b/c it was right before the children's program.

Make yourself familar with the activities you would like to do before you go on the ship. Look at the old navigators to give yourself an idea about what might be available on your trip.

Pack one small bag for your families toiletries for the whole trip and one small bag with your families clothes for the last morning. Then when it comes to pack on Saturday night you can just throw everything in the other suitcases and set them out and not have to worry about what everyone is going to wear in the morning (you'll have made those decisions in advance).

We're planning on doing the 3 night cruise next year, and we did the 4 night with the day at sea this year. Our reason for the 3 day is we want to do a sea/land, and DVC points are much less for the weeknights. Not sure if the 3 night will be too short.

Has anyone done both the 4 night & the 3 night? Is there really much of a difference? We'll probably stay on the ship most of the day in Nassau.

Our first cruise was the 3 day and it went way too fast!

You've had some great advice. I would definately say to stay on board in Nassau. The ship is a lot less crowded and you can really enjoy it.

We've done a couple of 4 days and they are great. My favorites are the 7 days as I really love the days at Sea.

Whatever you choose - enjoy your cruise!

CaliforniaDreaming,
We did the 4-night last December (stop in Freeport), and have a choice of either the 3-night or 4-night this coming December (also using DVC points). How was the day at sea on your 4-night? Did the ship feel crowded since everyone was onboard? We're hoping for better weather this December...Castaway Cay was overcast and the water was very cold last year.

We did 7 days at Disney and then the 4 day cruise...I would never do that again..the 4 day was just SO short I would never go for less than 7 again.

Thanks for the tips. We are already booked for the 3 day, it is what works best for our trip. I am even amazed that we are doing this, because it wasn't our initial plan! We saw the travel channel special and decided to squeeze it in. So I am thrilled for the 3 night cruise. any more hints?

Best tip - while on board book a 7 night for next year. You'll get great savings, onboard credit, and a year to hang with us and plan your next cruise. :)

Princess Vija,
I've cleared out my old PMs (my box was full)...you should be able to PM me now!

We've done both the 3-day (with kids) and just this past March, the 4-day (no kids!) To us the 4-day was "just right"! The day at sea is a bit more crowded at the pools. I was amazed at how slowly the ship is moving - there is no breeze coming off the water, so it makes for a hot day! Assuming it is calm seas, you need not worry about motion sickness this day!

The day at sea on the seven day, the ship is moving much faster and there is a nice breeze. On the 4 day they don't have very far to go, so they can go nice and slow.

You are right sdoane, they do go much slower on the 4 day since they don't have far to go. When we were on the DCV Member Cruise which went Port Canaveral to Castaway Cay to Nassau to Castaway Cay to Port Canaveral we just crawled along. It was the smoothest cruise I've ever been on!

I like it on the 7 day cruise when we pick up speed and you get to pass islands in the distance.

Originally posted by PRINCESS VIJA
Thanks for the tips. We are already booked for the 3 day, it is what works best for our trip. I am even amazed that we are doing this, because it wasn't our initial plan! We saw the travel channel special and decided to squeeze it in. So I am thrilled for the 3 night cruise. any more hints?

I think you will be fine on the 3 day. We (DH, DD/then 6 yo and me) did the 3 day in June 2001 followed by a week at our timeshare (Summer Bay Resort) which is six miles from Disney. It was great! That is all my daughter has talked about since then. She doesn't know it yet but we are planning to tell her that we are going to Disney World for Christmas in which we are but are planning to cruise (3 day) first. This will be part of her Christmas.

So go on your 3 day cruise and have a blast! We did and plan to in December also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter