how to protect scooters from rain?

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
First time renting a scooter, and we rented from an outside company that will drop off at the resort. noted that there is supposed to be a lot of rain while we are at WDW. What are your best strategies to protect the scooter?

I'm especially worried about the travel time from park entrance to transportation back to the resort.

I know they are not supposed to get wet, but how do you avoid it?

so worried now

Hi! We’ve had this issue in the past. Bring everything including the key inside with you. Bring two cheap ponchos from home, and spread them out over the scooter. Even if you have one with a canopy, unfortunately wind, gravity and other humans have other plans

I pack a clear garbage bag to use to cover the tiller.
Definitely the most cost-effective way to go! You can get fancy and bring a blue one with drawstrings. The only slightly inconvenient aspect is when you have to go in from the bottom to put key in the ignition, but trust me, it is no big deal. The XL bags make a good seat cover, too.

I place a few strips of 2” painters tape on the column of my tiller. When it’s cloudy, I pull a strip off my tiller and tape it over they keyhole after I remove the key when I leave to enjoy an attraction such as Haunted Mansion. That way, even if it’s windy, no rain gets into the keyhole. When I return, I just remove the tape and put it back on my tiller column. I also like the clear shopping bags to tie over the controls while driving it during rain. When leaving the scooter and it’s rainy, I also will tie a good weight poncho over it and secure with the seat down.

All you really need to protect are the controls, use a shower cap or small bag for that and don't go through flooded areas.

The problem I always seem to run into is if water gets up in it from the bottom. I don't ride through flooded areas or even puddles and every single time it rains, I have a problem with the rental scooter and they say it's because of water getting to it underneath. I rent from Gold Mobility Scooters most of the time.

I actually wrap a poncho around the whole control area and also use ponchos on the rest of it and still have had problems. I also dry off as much of the scooter as I can as soon as I get it in the room after rain.
My last trip I knew I was going to have trouble when it wouldn't back up on the bus after a bad rain. We had to do it manually. Then when I got to the room I had to back it up manually after hitting the move manually switch. And sure enough the next morning, it wouldn't start.

I'm a park open to park close person so the scooter rental places are closed by the time I'm leaving a park.

The whole scooter issue and rain at Disney is very frustrating and has messed me up more than once on a trip by having to wait to get a new one. I wish scooters could be 100% waterproof.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter