How well do they clean the rooms after each guest/Housekeeping?

goteamSy

Mouseketeer
We've rented DVC points once in 2011 @ SSR (a studio). When we checked in we were sent to a room that was unmade up from a previous guest. We were so grossed out that instead of waiting for the room to get cleaned we took a different room in a much less desirable location. We actually didn't know that you had to pay extra for housekeeping (we went for a weekend so we didn't get any). We did get more toilet paper when we asked though, but were denied a box of tissues (I had a cold at the time). This really soured our mood and the whole renting points thing. We're on vacation and like to come back to a clean room.

So this January we're giving renting vacation points another shot, and I'm assuming things still work the same. Our hotel of choice wasn't available for the length of our stay so we're doing a split stay - BWV - 2 nights & GFV - 3 nights.

I know this is a silly question, but since some people spend days in a room without getting it cleaned, how well do they clean the room for new guests? The thought of a room not getting cleaned daily, especially when shared by SO MANY people grosses me out.

I'm thinking of just paying for additional housekeeping, but I feel like we're already paying a lot per night and it stinks to have to pay more just to have a clean room! I guess you can't have the best of both worlds. We have friends who just returned from renting points. They said they paid extra for housekeeping and their linens never got changed. What would you do in an instance like this - would they refund the amount you paid or just come a different day, even though you paid for it to get changed twice then? I guess I just don't get how it works?

Also, how many towels do they provide in a studio?

What do most people do when it comes to housekeeping?

I guess what you have to ask yourself is: do you change your sheets or clean your rooms everyday at home? If you do, then having daily mouse keeping is for you. I like not having someone come in my room everyday when I go to WDW. Don't get me wrong, when I stay in a regular hotel I expect housekeeping to come in everyday. When I stay at WDW, it's like staying at home and I don't do serious cleaning everyday at home. I make sure I pick up after myself which is what I do on vacation too so my room is never junkie, but I travel solo.

The studios have enough towels for 4 or 5 people based on what the occupancy is. If you are staying 8 days or longer, you get full cleaning on day 4 and trash/towel service on day 8. if you're staying less than 8 days, I think you only get TT on day 4. I've never had any issues with mouse keeping cleaning the room, but I have friends who travel with their cleaning supplies and thoroughly clean any hotel room that they check-in to. Mainly I think they're cleaning the bathroom and wiping down surfaces with Clorox.

If you check-in to a room that hasn't been cleaned to your standards, definitely request another room as you've done in the past. For a new guest I would imagine they vacuum, change the sheets, put in new towels, clean the bathroom and wipe down surfaces.

You should not have been denied tissues. Most resorts do not change sheets daily anymore.

OP, you should have been able to get more tissues as needed, in fact there is usually an extra box in the room along with additional toilet tissue and paper towels. As far as housekeeping, I find usually that DVC is no better or worse than any other hotel room. And every hotel, Disney or not, has an occasional "bad day" where the room needs to be re-serviced.

Thanks for the replies! Good to know about tissues for next time!

I do not change my sheets daily at home, but I guess I was a little freaked out because I read somewhere that Disney does not wash the bedspreads between guests, which is just absolutely gross to me, and I hope very untrue. So I guess it's what sparked the whole cleaning thing.

I feel like having daily housekeeping when I go away is just something I take for granted. We have one come once a week at home, so every day is a luxury when we're away. To not have the bed made while I'm at the park, trash emptied, and towels refreshed for me when I get back is just weird.

I guess I have to look at it as essentially we are "saving money" by renting someone else's DVC points and if we want daily housekeeping included in our stay we have to book through Disney for a much higher cost. Still, internally I have a slight problem with paying $300 a night and not getting housekeeping. My own issue I suppose.

We've rented DVC points once in 2011 @ SSR (a studio). When we checked in we were sent to a room that was unmade up from a previous guest. We were so grossed out that instead of waiting for the room to get cleaned we took a different room in a much less desirable location. We actually didn't know that you had to pay extra for housekeeping (we went for a weekend so we didn't get any). We did get more toilet paper when we asked though, but were denied a box of tissues (I had a cold at the time). This really soured our mood and the whole renting points thing. We're on vacation and like to come back to a clean room.

So this January we're giving renting vacation points another shot, and I'm assuming things still work the same. Our hotel of choice wasn't available for the length of our stay so we're doing a split stay - BWV - 2 nights & GFV - 3 nights.

I know this is a silly question, but since some people spend days in a room without getting it cleaned, how well do they clean the room for new guests? The thought of a room not getting cleaned daily, especially when shared by SO MANY people grosses me out.

I'm thinking of just paying for additional housekeeping, but I feel like we're already paying a lot per night and it stinks to have to pay more just to have a clean room! I guess you can't have the best of both worlds. We have friends who just returned from renting points. They said they paid extra for housekeeping and their linens never got changed. What would you do in an instance like this - would they refund the amount you paid or just come a different day, even though you paid for it to get changed twice then? I guess I just don't get how it works?

Also, how many towels do they provide in a studio?

What do most people do when it comes to housekeeping?

I've owned DVC since 1999 and have never paid for extra housekeeping. Housekeeping is paid for out of member dues. If there was daily housekeeping included, our annual dues would be much higher. So this system works well - those members who want extra housekeeping pay for it individually. If you are renting points and want daily housekeeping, add that to the amount when you compare paying direct through Disney.

Laundry and Housekeeping Services

Disney Vacation Club Resorts offer laundry and housekeeping services. Daily housekeeping service is not provided for Members.

This Resort hotel offers a 24-hour self-service laundry room. There are also dry-cleaning and valet laundry services. Villas with one or more bedrooms also feature in-unit washers and dryers.

Trash & Towel Service

For stays of 7 or less nights, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 4, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, vacation points or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel service, Housekeeping will:
"Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins.
"Provide fresh bathroom linens.
"Replace bath amenities as needed.
"Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
"Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners.

Full Cleaning Service

For stays of 8 or more nights, Full-Cleaning Service is provided on day 4 and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 8, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, vacation points or a combination of both. This process repeats for stays longer than 8 days.

With Full-Cleaning service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:
"Change the bed linens.
"Vacuum and dust the vacation villa.
"Clean the bathroom(s).
"Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes.

Rental Guests (non-Members or Disney Vacation Club Members paying rack rate) receive Full Cleaning Services every day.

For all of the above, additional Housekeeping Services may be purchased.

Additional Housekeeping Service Daily Rates:
"Full Cleaning Service for Deluxe Studio - $30 per day requested
"Full Cleaning Service for 1-Bedroom Villa - $45 per day requested
"Full Cleaning Service for 2-Bedroom Villa - $60 per day requested
"Full Cleaning Service for 3-Bedroom Grand Villa - $75 per day requested

Additional Trash & Towel Service Daily Rates:
"Trash & Towel Service for Deluxe Studio - $15 per day requested
"Trash & Towel service for 1-Bedroom Villa - $20 per day requested
"Trash & Towel service for 2-Bedroom Villa - $25 per day requested
"Trash & Towel service for 3-Bedroom Grand Villa - $35 per day requested

Pay As You Play

With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities free of charge at the start of your stay. After that, you may purchase more amenities for the following fees (fees are subject to change):
"Toiletries Package, $5 - 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel
"Coffee Package, $3 - 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
"Towel Package, $6 - 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
"Laundry Detergent (only in 1-, 2-, and 3-bedroom Vacation Homes), $1 - 1 box

I do not change my sheets daily at home, but I guess I was a little freaked out because I read somewhere that Disney does not wash the bedspreads between guests, which is just absolutely gross to me, and I hope very untrue. So I guess it's what sparked the whole cleaning thing.

I feel like having daily housekeeping when I go away is just something I take for granted. We have one come once a week at home, so every day is a luxury when we're away. To not have the bed made while I'm at the park, trash emptied, and towels refreshed for me when I get back is just weird.

I guess I have to look at it as essentially we are "saving money" by renting someone else's DVC points and if we want daily housekeeping included in our stay we have to book through Disney for a much higher cost. Still, internally I have a slight problem with paying $300 a night and not getting housekeeping. My own issue I suppose.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but no major hotel chain (Disney cash resorts included) washes the bedspreads between guests, unless they are grossly soiled or smelly. So DVC does what every other hotel chain does on this issue. Don't like the idea of a bedspread that was on for someone else-stay home or bring your own. That's just how it is everywhere.

You can book daily housekeeping in DVC if you wish to pay for it. Most vacationers don't. If you feel this is worth the money for you though, just arrange it at the front desk when you check in.

I would second what was said above- I actually like not having daily housekeeping. I thought this was a negative when I purchased dvc, but I ended up really liking it, as I don't have to worry about a stranger in my room every day. As a member paying the annual maintenance fees, I'm glad we pay for housekeeping at our "home away from home" at a frequency more like what we have at our actual primary residence. Daily full housekeeping could be done as a policy, but it would dramatically increase our maintenance fees- and I'm fairly confident the majority of DVC owners don't want that to occur.

"We have friends who just returned from renting points. They said they paid extra for housekeeping and their linens never got changed."

I doubt they paid for full cleaning. MY guess would be they paid for trash & towel, since their sheets were not changed.
You could pay for housekeeping as others have said, or pay hotel rates, which would be significantly more than $300 a night.

I am another member who likes NOT having mousekeeping come in everyday.

We make the bed and straighten up before we leave the room. That is our luxury on vacation. I can't say we do this every day at home but we don't get up or leave at the same time at home either.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but no major hotel chain (Disney cash resorts included) washes the bedspreads between guests, unless they are grossly soiled or smelly. So DVC does what every other hotel chain does on this issue. Don't like the idea of a bedspread that was on for someone else-stay home or bring your own. That's just how it is everywhere.

That's actually not how it is most places, that I've stayed at least. Most have the duvet or sheet system that gets washed between guests. Sharing bedspreads between guests is gross and unhygienic. Thankfully, we chose GFV that I believe will have the duvet or the sheet system. Unfortunately, I don't believe Boardwalk does. :(

That's actually not how it is most places, that I've stayed at least. Most have the duvet or sheet system that gets washed between guests. Sharing bedspreads between guests is gross and unhygienic. Thankfully, we chose GFV that I believe will have the duvet or the sheet system. Unfortunately, I don't believe Boardwalk does. :(

All the DVC resorts are switching to triple sheeting/duvet.

DVC is a timeshare not a hotel, there is a difference when it comes to housekeeping. Many don't come at all until you check out.

Renting can save you a good deal of money but you get a different experience than paying for a room and booking with Disney.

As stated no hotel washes bedspreads between guests, just as they don't change out the mattress pad or mattresses.

As members we pay for the cost of housekeeping and most all members are fine with the way it is, as changing it would increase our dues and no one is in favor of that.

That is why the pay as you want is a better program. Many members don't want or need the daily cleaning, I know we don't.

The sheet system or duvet cover does allow that to be removed and washed. But any hotel with a heavy bedspread is not washing them daily. As to gross, only to some. Unhygienic, not sure anyone has ever gotten sick from a bedspread.

Unless your paying $13 a pt no studio at SSR is $300 a night, and then maybe only at Christmas and New year's time.
If you pay cash at SSR for a studio :) then you can get HK but will pay over $300 a night.

You have to decide what is more important to you. Do you want daily full service cleaning or a cheaper price? If you want both, stay in a value resort.

All the costs of a timeshare is passed on to the owners. DVC owners have the opportunity to pay more for extra services. Most don't want or need them.

Unless your paying $13 a pt no studio at SSR is $300 a night, and then maybe only at Christmas and New year's time.
If you pay cash at SSR for a studio :) then you can get HK but will pay over $300 a night.

Oh god, not at SSR. I don't remember what we paid there. It was 3 years ago. We didn't like it though :(.

We're giving renting another shot and booked GFV. We paid about $300 a night, which is a huge savings vs. booking through Disney, but the no housekeeping bothers us. Especially since we've been hearing the cleaning isn't all that good. Alas, we're going to give it another try.

You sound like my girl friend!!! She and I took our daughters to WDW for their 13th birthdays. I booked a two bedroom at BWV..my home resort. She took the studio section. She loved the resort and was very impressed. Until she returned from the parks on our second day and realized there wasn't going to be any housekeeping. She was horrified to find that she was going to have to use the same facecloth for several days!!! So, I went back into my bathrooms and grabbed all the extra towels/facecloths I could find. Left my dd and I with a set of towels each, but my friend was able to have clean hand towels and facecloths each day. I mean seriously? There is a washer and dryer in there. WE could have just washed them.

It's a time share basically. It isn't the same as a hotel. I have usually had very well cleaned villas upon arrival. Very seldom have I had any reason to complain.

Oh god, not at SSR. I don't remember what we paid there. It was 3 years ago. We didn't like it though :(.

We're giving renting another shot and booked GFV. We paid about $300 a night, which is a huge savings vs. booking through Disney, but the no housekeeping bothers us. Especially since we've been hearing the cleaning isn't all that good. Alas, we're going to give it another try.

I don't mean to sound unkind, but do you realize you are talking to DVC owners, and sounding rather insulting. We get no benefit from your renting. You sound like you think you are doing us a favor by 'giving renting another shot'. You are VERY lucky to have rented GFV, and I'll bet there hundreds of owners who would like to have the dates you got, and paid thousands of dollars to become members. You don't realize how incredibly lucky you were to get GFV through a rental, and depriving owners of the opportunity. Pay for the housekeeping you want, rather than complain to owners that you are paying (only) $300 a night, and not getting daily housekeeping.
In addition, the Oh God, not SSR may have angered, certainly insulted, SSR owners. Many do not think it is the cesspool you apparently think it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter