How well do they clean the rooms after each guest/Housekeeping?

I don't mean to sound unkind, but do you realize you are talking to DVC owners, and sounding rather insulting. We get no benefit from your renting. You sound like you think you are doing us a favor by 'giving renting another shot'. You are VERY lucky to have rented GFV, and I'll bet there hundreds of owners who would like to have the dates you got, and paid thousands of dollars to become members. You don't realize how incredibly lucky you were to get GFV through a rental, and depriving owners of the opportunity. Pay for the housekeeping you want, rather than complain to owners that you are paying (only) $300 a night, and not getting daily housekeeping.
In addition, the Oh God, not SSR may have angered, certainly insulted, SSR owners. Many do not think it is the cesspool you apparently think it is.

Agree

I don't mean to sound unkind, but do you realize you are talking to DVC owners, and sounding rather insulting. We get no benefit from your renting. You sound like you think you are doing us a favor by 'giving renting another shot'. You are VERY lucky to have rented GFV, and I'll bet there hundreds of owners who would like to have the dates you got, and paid thousands of dollars to become members. You don't realize how incredibly lucky you were to get GFV through a rental, and depriving owners of the opportunity. Pay for the housekeeping you want, rather than complain to owners that you are paying (only) $300 a night, and not getting daily housekeeping.
In addition, the Oh God, not SSR may have angered, certainly insulted, SSR owners. Many do not think it is the cesspool you apparently think it is.

In fact, many people here are not happy about the idea of renters at all. They feel like they don't treat the rooms as well as owners. They feel like they take wanted rooms away from owners. They feel like since they don't understand the program, they abuse cast members.

Honestly, in 12 years of ownership, I've NEVER been in a DVC room that is as clean as the hotel rooms we tend to stay in - I've been in DVC hotel rooms that were cleaner than the hotel I stayed in in Wisconsin that hand a sign that said "do not clean birds or fish in the room" over the TV (Really). They are timeshares, and show a lot of wear - wear tends to mean that they look dirty. Now, I have some pretty high expectations for a hotel room - we don't tend to stay cheap - especially when its my husband and I (unless we are in Wisconsin). But I'm also not much of a clean freak - so it isn't a factor to us.

Correction: An owner did make that rental, and presumably that owner had the same chance to get that unit as similar owners. The owner just chose to rent it out.

And as far as housekeeping goes, if you would like more, pay for more. As others have said, it is probably cheaper to rent DVC and pay for housekeeping than a hotel room. If anything regarding housekeeping is not to your satisfaction, alert housekeeping. I've rented a few times, and I've paid for extra housekeeping - but have slowly come to the conclusion that I don't need housekeeping as often as a hotel room, but love the extra space that I can get with a DVC room.

Thanks for the replies! Good to know about tissues for next time!

I do not change my sheets daily at home, but I guess I was a little freaked out because I read somewhere that Disney does not wash the bedspreads between guests, which is just absolutely gross to me, and I hope very untrue. So I guess it's what sparked the whole cleaning thing.

I feel like having daily housekeeping when I go away is just something I take for granted. We have one come once a week at home, so every day is a luxury when we're away. To not have the bed made while I'm at the park, trash emptied, and towels refreshed for me when I get back is just weird.

I guess I have to look at it as essentially we are "saving money" by renting someone else's DVC points and if we want daily housekeeping included in our stay we have to book through Disney for a much higher cost. Still, internally I have a slight problem with paying $300 a night and not getting housekeeping. My own issue I suppose.

Just to explain why there's no daily housekeeping included at a DVC resort (or timeshares in general).

At timeshares, the operational costs of the resort are paid by the member/owners of the resorts. I pay a maintenance fee monthly that represents my share of the operational costs at VWL, my home resort. That includes, utilities, landscaping, property taxes, and yes, housekeeping.

If we were to have full daily housekeeping, our maintenance fees would absolutely go through the roof. And many of us don't even want daily housekeeping. To me, it's a bonus to not have to worry about sleeping in or having housekeeping come barging in while I'm taking a nap. I don't especially want to pay for a service I don't want, just to satisfy fellow owners who want daily housekeeping.

So, to make it fair for everyone, we all get a limited number of days of housekeeping services. Those who want the room cleaned more often can pay a very reasonable per-day charge for additional cleanings, or something like $6 to get a fresh supply of towels. Those of us who don't want the room cleaned don't have to be bothered, and don't have to pay for it. I love the way it works.

If you rent, and you want the room cleaned every day, just pay the per-day charge for it. You certainly don't have to go without housekeeping, and you'll still save a bundle over booking through Disney.

As others have said, this isn't a case of Disney depriving you of services at one of their hotels. In this case, Disney is operating the resort for the benefit of the member/owners. You just weren't familiar with the way housekeeping works at a timeshare. Next time you rent, you'll know how to get the room cleaned as often as you want it. :thumbsup2

To continue Lynne's point, housekeeping is the highest amount on the DVC dues budget. For BWV for 2013, it's $5,085,911 or $1.0403 per point. If they would include daily housekeeping, it would likely be an additional $1 to $2 per point.

I'm not sure what the OP is complaining about.

Add the cost for renting + out of pocket "extra" housekeeping = 40% lower than Disney's rack rate.

Plus, she gets to stay VGF (brand new) which most of us can't even get.

If the OP is that upset about paying for extra housekeeping PLEASE PLEASE cancel the reservation so that those of us on the waitlist can get your VGF room.

Then go back and pay VGF rack rates and stop complaining. Op is happy, waitlist people are happy. The end. :goodvibes

I wanted to add that I always bring a bath and body pump soap for the bathroom. Don't like those bar soaps for hand washing. I have always found the rooms to be clean. I do feel that if you ask for things at DVC, you don't always get them.

I wanted to add that I always bring a bath and body pump soap for the bathroom. Don't like those bar soaps for hand washing. I have always found the rooms to be clean. I do feel that if you ask for things at DVC, you don't always get them.

Glad I'm not the only one that travels with a bottle of hand soap. My husband rolls his eyes at me.....until he needs to wash his hands :)

The best thing about timeshares. Washer/dryer. I'll wash my towels whenever I want! Shoot, most hotels I go to now are trying to get you to reuse anyway to be green. I don't mind doing it but I like towels washed by me, they smell nicer :)

Just returned from BCV and was not happy with the way they prepared our rm, Bed seemed very sloppy , things were out of place all over rm, DVD Player was connected to TV outside of wall unit, almost seemed like someone was in our rm didnt like it asked for a change before we got it, very disappointing but we moved on and enjoyed our vacation despite that..

I'm not sure what the OP is complaining about.

Add the cost for renting + out of pocket "extra" housekeeping = 40% lower than Disney's rack rate.

Plus, she gets to stay VGF (brand new) which most of us can't even get.

If the OP is that upset about paying for extra housekeeping PLEASE PLEASE cancel the reservation so that those of us on the waitlist can get your VGF room.

Then go back and pay VGF rack rates and stop complaining. Op is happy, waitlist people are happy. The end. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2

Just returned from BCV and was not happy with the way they prepared our rm, Bed seemed very sloppy , things were out of place all over rm, DVD Player was connected to TV outside of wall unit, almost seemed like someone was in our rm didnt like it asked for a change before we got it, very disappointing but we moved on and enjoyed our vacation despite that..

I think we need to blame stuff like the DVD on the previous guests who plug in cameras, laptops, other games, etc. But housekeeping should catch stuff like that (or at least the supervisor checking the room before releasing it).

Timeshare housekeeping can be and usually is quite different from hotel style. Since the cost of housekeeping is paid for by the members steps are usually take to keep them as low as possible. All the rooms I have stayed in provide vacuums to take care of the floors. All rooms except a studio provide washers and dryers to use whenever you want..so I can throw in a load of towels each and every day...which I do. Even the studios have use of a FREE laundry room to care for their needs. When was the last time I stayed at a hotel and left with a full suitcase of clean clothes....umm let me think...never!

I would say if daily housekeeping done for you is a high priority I making your vacation successful...I would suggest booking through Disney for one of their hotel accommodations. There is a reason the rate is substantially higher...one of them being the labor costs to support the room including daily housekeeping.

As for me and my family...I will stay with DVC for many reasons but one of the being lower overall costs year after year. I am one of those members who really wish renting was not allowed at all. This example is one of them that really hits my point on the head. There are SO many members who wish they were staying at our newest resort VGF but instead we have renters there...makes me shake my head in disappointment.

Just got back from a split DVC stay -

The rooms were reasonably clean. They were vacuumed, counters washed, no hair in sinks, beds made with new sheets. I requested service on three issues I found between the two rooms. All 3 took time to resolve (left one room with understanding that the issues would be fixed for next guest). Had a service man come in at the start of our second room as he was finishing up a job that had been reported by the previous guests and the housekeeping manager stopped by to make sure another unrelated issue had been resolved. They are on top of things :)

I did find one mixing bowl that had been washed on the inside but had a lot of dried batter and fingerprints on the outside still. No clue how that one missed being cleaned. I rewashed everything to be sure what we used was not just returned to the cabinet because it appeared clean to the housekeeper.

The unwashed comforter does not bother me as I remove it for the duration of our stay, but it's the unwashed blanket that got to me. Didn't see the dirt until the following morning when I held it up as I remade my bed with natural daylight behind it. Needless to say I tossed it right in the washer. :/

So very well said. The intent to offend may not be there but the attitude of entitlement is.

So very well said. The intent to offend may not be there but the attitude of entitlement is.

Amen to that! DH overheard a very upset guest at BLT saying "I paid $9,000 to stay here and I don't understand why I can't go to the TOTWL!" Talk about a sense of entitlement. DH was thinking " should've used that to buy into DVC!"

I love not having housekeeping at dvc. It's actually a "plus" in my book because I usually put the Do Not Disturb sign in regular hotel rooms every morning before we leave. I clean up after myself and my family, and hate the thought of a stranger in my room every day. So daily housekeeping actually annoys me.

Also, if renters hate DVC... Or a specific resort... Feel free not to return. Maybe next time I will get my availability without having to book cash nights or wait list :-)

(I don't fault all renters... I rented before I became Dvc... And it's why I bought! But those that pay our discounted rates and then trash it... Should probably just not rent anymore because its not for them. Insulting the resorts and the timeshare on the actual timeshare message board will not win you a lot of awards. LOL.)

As one poster states "timeshare housekeeping is usually very different from hotel housekeeping". Have you ever stayed in a hotel room that has a vacuum cleaner in the closet of your room? I have not. Timeshares are meant to be "homes away from home" which to me means I AM responsible for the housekeeping during my stay there. Now, I DO expect the unit to be completely cleaned when I check in and I have asked for a recleaning when it is not clean upon check in. However, when people rent timeshare points or by the week, they need to understand they are NOT getting the same services they would get by staying at a full service hotel. If you want those services, please, by all means, STAY at a full service hotel and you should get those services. But, please don't expect to get a 1 or 2 bedroom condo w/ full kitchen and laundry for the same price as one hotel room in a better hotel and expect to get the same services. Personally, I love staying in a better hotel and having all services provided for me at certain locations, BUT, I also love staying at my DVC and being onsite at WDW or DL with a full kitchen and laundry AND I understand I AM responsible for taking my trash out and vacuuming, and making my own bed while there because it IS "my home away from home".

....I've been in DVC hotel rooms that were cleaner than the hotel I stayed in in Wisconsin that hand a sign that said "do not clean birds or fish in the room" over the TV (Really). ...

now that the moment of utter confusion has passed (who the H*#@ brings their pet birds or fish on vacation? AND finds the need to bathe them??!!), please PLEASE tell me this was a "hunting lodge" :).

now that the moment of utter confusion has passed (who the H*#@ brings their pet birds or fish on vacation? AND finds the need to bathe them??!!), please PLEASE tell me this was a "hunting lodge" :).

A motel in a hunting/fishing region. Not a great motel, and I suspect it catered to a lot of hunters, hence the sign.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter