How will APs be compensated for the restrictions/reservation period?

JM23457

Registered
I know there are many people with APs like me, whose $1,200 per person Platinum APs had no blackout dates, park hopping, and included the water parks. Now there will be no water parks, probably no park hopping, and you have to make a reservation to get in. In other words, we're not getting what was advertised.

In Shanghai they reportedly extended APs for the reservation period, but that is not happening for WDW. Our passes are only being extended over the actual closure dates, with no mention of how to get a refund for the rest of the pass period if the lack of park access is not acceptable to you.

Has anyone reached out to Disney about this, asking for a refund of the rest of the pass's life?

Please don't turn this into a debate thread on whether APs "deserve" compensation or not. That's not the question. Has anyone been able to get the full balance of their unused AP dates refunded?

I know there are many people with APs like me, whose $1,200 per person Platinum APs had no blackout dates, park hopping, and included the water parks. Now there will be no water parks, probably no park hopping, and you have to make a reservation to get in. In other words, we're not getting what was advertised.

In Shanghai they reportedly extended APs for the reservation period, but that is not happening for WDW. Our passes are only being extended over the actual closure dates, with no mention of how to get a refund for the rest of the pass period if the lack of park access is not acceptable to you.

Has anyone reached out to Disney about this, asking for a refund of the rest of the pass's life?

Please don't turn this into a debate thread on whether APs "deserve" compensation or not. That's not the question. Has anyone been able to get the full balance of their unused AP dates refunded?
not to sound rude, but instead of opening a thread on a fan site have you contacted Disney? It's pretty easy and they DO get back to you
Explain your concerns and ask them to give you a call back. They did for me, 3 days after I emailed (I wasn't asking for a refund just I had other issues)
wdw.guest.communications.@disneyworld.com

Last edited:
It’s a valid question. I imagine there’s been a lot of discussion at Disney as to how this will be handled. You’re probably going to have to ask for what you want, though, as I don’t expect them to offer sweeping refunds. Keep us posted if you hear anything!

I think OPs question is worth a thread.
I also just saw my extended family’s passes getting the automatic extension and am feeling a bit taken advantage of.
The loss of benefits mentioned by OP are significant.
If the option of a refund for the entire unused pass duration exists, I would almost definitely take it.

Trying to contact Disney with hours long phone wait times or multi day waits for email response is nobody’s first choice now if the answer is available here. This place has so much good info that lots of us follow rather than tying up lines looking for an answer that others have already confirmed.
I’ll be following here to see if anyone does get that refund.

I was wondering the same thing. Our next trip is in November and have been holding off to ask WDW directly since things might change between now and then, but in general, I would like to know if they plan on doing something to offset the loss of AP benefits (park hopping, water parks, etc.).

I think OPs question is worth a thread.
I also just saw my extended family’s passes getting the automatic extension and am feeling a bit taken advantage of.
The loss of benefits mentioned by OP are significant.
If the option of a refund for the entire unused pass duration exists, I would almost definitely take it.

Trying to contact Disney with hours long phone wait times or multi day waits for email response is nobody’s first choice now if the answer is available here. This place has so much good info that lots of us follow rather than tying up lines looking for an answer that others have already confirmed.
I’ll be following here to see if anyone does get that refund.
Why would anyone here have an answer. We're not Disney. The only way to know is contacting them, and they will take a case by case approach.
So as far as the OP goal, they simply need to contact Disney, no one here can help
Now if you want a thread to talk about what you think should be done, that's a different story

To answer your thread title question OP: APs will be compensated by either an extension of the pass or a refund of the days the parks were closed. Those are Disney’s only announced options. Those options were sent in emails to AP holders. There have been lots of posts on this on various threads & those are the only options anyone has reported. If you think you have a special circumstance & want a different compensation, the only thing you can do is call & discuss your particular situation.

Given the water park aspect, the extension may be treated differently than those without that feature.

Same with refunds as I could see Disney simply refunding the difference so they are no longer the plus.

Why would anyone here have an answer. We're not Disney. The only way to know is contacting them, and they will take a case by case approach.
Because it's well documented that Disney phone CMs give different answers to different people. If someone is able to achieve this, I want to know & I want to know how.

As has already been demonstrated by other responses, I am not the only poster who is trying to figure this out.

Because it's well documented that Disney phone CMs give different answers to different people. If someone is able to achieve this, I want to know & I want to know how.

As has already been demonstrated by other responses, I am not the only poster who is trying to figure this out.
definitely email, that is your best bet, not what others report here. Just like you say some phone CM give different answers but once you email they escalate your individual case and there´s a log about it, they give you a phone reference number so other CM talking to you will know what was discussed

definitely email, that is your best bet, not what others report here. Just like you say some phone CM give different answers but once you email they escalate your individual case and there´s a log about it, they give you a phone reference number so other CM talking to you will know what was discussed
Like I said, I'm looking for info from other posters before getting involved with Disney. Once my request is in process, it might have a different resolution than what I want if I don't proceed in the ideal way. A lot of money is on the line, so it's not a casual matter. It's worth a little advance research.

I do not wish to continue the debate you began about the merits of my question. That is not why I posted.

Last edited:
Like I said, I'm looking for info from other posters before getting involved with Disney. Once my request is in process, it might have a different resolution than what I want if I don't proceed in the ideal way. A lot of money is on the line, so it's not a casual matter. It's worth a little advance research.

I do not wish to continue the debate you began about the merits of my question. That is not why I posted.

I have read a few reports people contacted Disney and shared their story and were told they would send it up the chain since that was not one of the options.

I have not seen here or other sites I read where people were granted the request yet, other than an unused voucher being refunded.

Since extensions just happened, it may be a bit before Even the partial refunds happen, let alone refunds beyond what was offered.

Last edited:
I think the bigger question for AP holders is what compensation will Disney give you for not being able to get a park reservation?
The point of having an AP is to get into any park on any day that you want (minus blackout dates). The new reservation system seems to clearly block what you paid for.
As someone who goes twice a year, I will be upset if we are not able to be in a park each day that we are there (I understand hopping parks may not be an option).
Will this be an issue by the time we get close to making our reservations? Nobody, including the CMs at Disney know yet.

As far as the OPs question, I'm not sure calling and asking the CMs will help as the whole process seems to be in flux at this point with new information coming out frequently now.

sorry, was trying to help you understand that every person will probably have a different answer and only by contacting Disney, through email, you will have something more precise. They don't have a plan or procedure in place other than to refund the days that they were closed or extend your AP for the days they were closed
This is how they operate, it doesn't matter if I get xyz, when you contact them you might be offered something different and telling them I got xxyz won't change that
I have 23 years of AP experience, go to the parks 3 times a week (well used to) and know people that work these phone lines, I know how they operate. So your best bet for resolution would be to simply, respectfully and clearly write an email and explain what you think should be your compensation
Anyways, I merged you to the community thread, hopefully you'll get anecdotal answers here

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter