HRH & a major complaint

A Mickeyfan

DIS Veteran
I stayed at the Hard Rock on Oct 6th-9th. I had emailed them about 3 weeks prior to checkin explaining that my husband was undergoing Physical Therapy for his leg & had limited mobility and stairs were a no-no as per the Orthopedic Surgeon. We needed a room on a lower floor and/or at least close to the elevator. When we checked in we were given a room that was on the 6th floor, #6114, which is the LAST room on the wing (had there been a problem with the elevator, my husband never would have been able to walk down that amount of stairs). We were 30 rooms from the elevator. When I asked (before seeing it) if it was near the elevator (figured we would deal with the 6th floor), I was told it was a "short walk". When we saw where the room was (very last room next to the stairway exit), we were upset. I went back down to the front desk & was told they could check for another room but were sold out for that night. We figured if we had to stay 1 night we may as well stay the 3. By the 3rd night my husband was so sore (knee was swolen) & upset that he went to the manager. They still couldn't change our room. They did send us up a comlimentary in-room-movie coupon, bottled water, bottled soda, 2 pks of skittles (for my kids) and popcorn. This however didn't solve our problem. When I got home I emailed them & told them again how upset we were. I did thank them for the complimentary gifts but let thm know that it didn't make up for what they had done. I followed up with a written letter, along with paper work from the Physical Therapist showing that we weren't just guests who requested a room near the elevator so we didn't have a long walk to our room after a full day at the parks (which my husband never went to during our stay). Today in the mail we rec'd a very nice letter saying how sorry they were & a certificate for a complimentary one night stay. I was not expecting that & am very happy to have gotten it. All I had wanted to do is let them be aware that some people have requests for medical reasons & they should be honored. l know not every request can be honored but when it is a medical reason ....and you get the total opposite, is not acceptable. Considering the hotel has over 600+ rooms, there are 7 floors and maybe 6 wings...if you figure 2 end rooms on each wing on each floor that makes about 84 end rooms.....and we ended up getting one of them. What really got me upset was they did have it in the system what type of room we had needed. I had even rec'd an email from the manger letting me know that they would accomadate us when we arrived... Anyway enough babbling.... I now get to try them again one night for free....now to get my husband to agree!!! I am already thinking about going the week before Chirstmas!!!! ::yes:: :earsgirl:

This time when you get a letter from the manager print it and bring it with you.I would call a few days ahead just to remind them also.Enjoy your free night.

Glad to see that they are trying to redeem themselves. Hopefully this time your requests will be met.

Originally posted by PTarbay
This time when you get a letter from the manager print it and bring it with you.I would call a few days ahead just to remind them also.Enjoy your free night.

This time I will bring my letter!!! My kids are up for going again...like I said though...now I just have to convince my husband:confused: if he still insists on not going back, I will just have to go without him LOL;)

You are right to complain although could have asked another guest checking to change rooms this time when u go kick and scream its your vacation your money the staff are paid to be there you are paying to be there so you have the bigger claim enjoy your free night:jester:

Sorry you had such a bad experience, Sharon. I wonder if you would have had any better luck at the other two resorts? So many people seem to be complaining about the HRH lately, but I'm glad that owned up to their major oversight and gave you a free night. Enjoy it!

Wow, I'm sorry for the problems you and your hubby had. Sometimes you wonder if they pay any attention to special requests at all!! I'm not saying you are lying or anything, but I find it hard to believe that with 600+ rooms that there was not one other room available when you checked in???

So sorry about your bad experience. Was your husband able to enjoy the parks with his knee problem?

Nan

Originally posted by Mercy
Wow, I'm sorry for the problems you and your hubby had. Sometimes you wonder if they pay any attention to special requests at all!! I'm not saying you are lying or anything, but I find it hard to believe that with 600+ rooms that there was not one other room available when you checked in???
When I asked at check in if it was near the elevator & told her that it had been noted...she acknowledged that she saw it posted on our ressie so she was aware of it.....I just think she didn't notice until I said something & then was tooooo lazy to correct it... that is just my opinion... and I also do believe that there WAS another room we could have had...like I said, toooo LAZY! We had checked in at 10am, they cannot tell me that everyone that was checking in that day were already there?!?!!? Maybe if we were doing this at 10pm....there would be a possibility that there were no other rooms vacant...but not 10AM. We will see how our free stay goes. Just talk to my husband & he is somewhat willing to try....we may try for a 3 nights just before Christmas.... wish me luck!

Did you request a handicapped accessible room? They must have them. I would think they would be closer to the elevators. We have had some pretty far rooms from the elevators and it can be quite tiring when you are feeling good, let alone when not feeling your best.

Hope things are better next time.

My DH is a smoker, we always request a smoking room and we almost always get sent to a non-smoking room. Once we stayed and they just got us an ashtray, last trip we had 2 smokiing connecting rooms and they had to move us (that was at the RPR

Patty

I'm sorry about your experience. That is very frustrating that you did what you could to get a better location and it went ignored.

If you have a need like this in the future, please consider renting an ECV (WalkerMobility.com rents them and will deliver to the hotel and pick it up for free). I have used these when traveling with a friend who has lupus and is unable to withstand the fatigue of walking in the parks. the ECV (electric scooter) is GREAT. Easy to drive, comfortable and solved our mobility problem. Especially when you are staying onsite in Orlando - this is definately the way to go.

I checked out of 6058 on 10/4 and it was 2 doors from the elevator. Way to go on the freebie. You'll have to leave hop along at home. They shoot horses don't they?

At least you received the free night, although that forces you to return and spend more money. This is one of the differences between Disney and Universal. Both are great and a lot of fun, however, when it comes to customer service and the little things, in our mind Disney is far above Universal. We've only had a few minor mishaps while staying at Disney, and they were always corrected immediately.

I can see this starting a storm RLAlden:crazy: I think to be honest all hotels etc rely on their staff to deliver excellent customer service and like all people are human some nice and some lazy
:jester:

I can feel the flames coming.. but...

Requests for room locations are just that, requests.

They are not guaranteed and I did not get my desired location I would not be writing anyone about it.

I do however feel you had a justifiable complaint with the front desk person who told you "it's a short walk" they should have told you the truth, that they only have one room at the end of the hall for tonight and that they could try and switch you in the morning to another if you liked.

Sorry it was so unpleasant for you, hope you have a chance to use your free room night in the future.

>>^..^<<

I don't agree with the concept that requests are just that
"requests" not guaranteed. Especially with medical reasons. I bet when the booking was made they did NOT say" We cannot guarantee this and we will probably put you as far away from the elevator as possible" No because they wanted the booking!!

This is a business were talking about with 600 rooms. They take the booking and acknowledge the request for medical reasons. Now they don't put you in the middle or just along a bit they put you at the end...The furthest away! As you have said the % of rooms furthest away was far less then those closer.

Absolutely shoddy of them especially at 10am in the morning!

Next ask to be as furthest away from the elevator as possible...they will probably put you next door to it!

Mickeyfan you have my greatest sympathy hope you like your next stay:earsboy:

Originally posted by >>^..^<<
I can feel the flames coming.. but...

Requests for room locations are just that, requests.

They are not guaranteed and I did not get my desired location I would not be writing anyone about it.
I don't want to sound harsh but I have to disagree with you. Yes, a request is not a guraantee....however, I emailed them explaining that is was a medical reason (and we did have documentation to back us up), the HRH responded back letting me know that they would grant my request. That to me is a guarantee. And when you are paying that kind of money for the room, you should get what you were told you were going to (especially for a medical reason).
There were many other rooms they could have assigned us to....but to give us the 6th fl (after explaining the no stair bit) and on top of that, give us the room furthest from the elevator (requesting as close to one as possibe), that was just a double no-no in my eyes...
I didn't want to ask for a handicapped room since my husband isn't in a wheel chair & felt that would be unfair of us to ask. We stayted at the Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista for Labor Day & I had explained our situation with them & they OFFERED us the handicapped room....and that was thru a Priceline Reservation!!!!
I still haven't convinced my husband into returning.........

MotherFletcher....I have to agree with you, I may just go without him just to use the freebie LOL!!!!! And if you checked out on the 4th from the same floor we were on, the front desk could have offered to move us to your room and they did not!!!!!! This just shows the point I am trying to prove about what had happened. The front desk person that morning was just down right lazy and could care less about what had happened...

I also paid cash for my room too ..... wonder if it was a credit card would they have been different since I could have contacted the credit card company????????????

ear_poppin.... I think next time I book, I will request a room by the stairwell on the 6th foor... reverse request (reverse psychology) LOL!!!!!

Originally posted by RLAlden
Both are great and a lot of fun, however, when it comes to customer service and the little things, in our mind Disney is far above Universal. We've only had a few minor mishaps while staying at Disney, and they were always corrected immediately.

Hmm, guess that depends on who you talk to. I have had the opposite happen. I haven't had one bad customer service problem at any of the Loew's resorts. My experiences with Disney's cutosmer service has been terrible and never rectfied. Afer spending a massive amount of money on a Fairytale wedding we wanted to move our room on our honeymoon at the BC ( because of noise) we were told "what would you want us to do, Build you a room?". I can tell you many similar Disney experiences. I'm in the hospitality industry, it can happen anywhere and it just depends on who is there to solve the problem.

Sharon-
If they are giving you a free night you should save it for their peak time. Go Christmas day or New Years. Its good you can find something to laugh about.

CPM-
I have a least 2 bad customer service complaints against WDW. I wish I would have taken one up the chain of command. I don't think they would cough up a freebie there.

Sharon-
If they are giving you a free night you should save it for their peak time. Go Christmas day or New Years. Its good you can find something to laugh about.

CPM-
I have a least 2 bad customer service complaints against WDW. I wish I would have taken one up the chain of command. I don't think they would cough up a freebie there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter