Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

May not have the ability to get the airlines to change back if they reverse their choice but I bet they regret calling to so soon. They do not have a history of doing that so far out
I was surprised when they called it so early. Seems awfully risky considering what it takes to turn around and reverse the decision.

There are still very reliable models that show Dorian having high impact on Orlando. That's why it's still included in the cone of uncertainty.

Don't say it's over until it's over.
That is what happened with Irma. Looked like it was going to stay off the coast and then shifted to right up the middle. We were on the way to the airport when the update was released. We pulled the plug then.

I'm sure there were discussions with Civil Defense and FAA experts and other powers that be before MCO was declared to close.

With a cat 5 storm, precautions have to be taken for the safety of the employees supporting the airport to get to safety before curfews and dangerous winds/conditions.

There have been times before hurricanes where businesses have not been so prudent and have endangered their employees and emergency personnel. I see caution being taken.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190831-192722_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190831-192722_Chrome.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 61

I feel for all of you trying to make a decision on a vacation. Two years ago, my DS26 & his fiancée were in the same boat with Irma. The stress of trying to decide what to do was getting to them. She couldn’t change her dates so that made it harder. They finally decided to scrap the vacation and head north. They spent one evening canceling everything and then start making plans for their trip to Toronto, which was also a place they wanted to go. They were sad to not go to Disney but once on the road to Toronto, they were just happy to be on vacation. They had a great time and figured Disney would always be there They wound up going to Disney last year and had an awesome trip. For them, the stress of the not knowing what to do was too much. For them, it was the right decision as WDW wound up closing for 2 days and that seemed to ease the sadness for them.

Stay safe everyone

We are supposed to fly out Wednesday from Memphis. Also never had any experience like this. Still waiting on updates to decide any changes. Even in best case scenarios, Tuesday looks bad. Have you considered moving to Thursday maybe? We are considering that, too. Even then, this is going to be a very stormy, rainy, wet trip.
I hate to move it and then it moves farther out... we all are expected back at work or school on Wednesday. But obviously I have no desire to put us in danger so I will see what happens tomorrow I guess.

I’m here now. Crowds are great. MCO May be saying they are closing tomorrow at 2am but the airlines sure haven’t canceled anything. Even now (Saturday 9:30pm) MCO on Twitter says they are not reversing the closure. I have changed my flight home more times than I can count (including an attempt to get 5 hours from home tomorrow and rent a car for the rest). We are now booked on a Thursday night flight out based on he current model timing. So we’re here to ride it out if it actually gets here.

I’m here now. Crowds are great. MCO May be saying they are closing tomorrow at 2am but the airlines sure haven’t canceled anything. Even now (Saturday 9:30pm) MCO on Twitter says they are not reversing the closure. I have changed my flight home more times than I can count (including an attempt to get 5 hours from home tomorrow and rent a car for the rest). We are now booked on a Thursday night flight out based on he current model timing. So we’re here to ride it out if it actually gets here.

Good luck. New model data out really wobbly on if the storm is actually going to make the sharp turn to the north that's been predicted. This is such a massive, strong storm that personally I'm skeptical of it just stopping on a dime and turning north like some of the models have been suggesting.

We were originally supposed to fly out Monday afternoon. We moved it to a morning flight. We are now leaving Sunday afternoon by car. We do half the drive Sun and finish Monday.

We are at Pop Century now and to fly out Wednesday after 18 days. Hopefully our flight will go out if not we stay a few more days. MNSSHP tix are Monday so we shall see. I passed the front desk and bell services this morning and it was a mass exodus must have been 30-40 people in all the lines!!!!

May not have the ability to get the airlines to change back if they reverse their choice but I bet they regret calling to so soon. They do not have a history of doing that so far out
International airlines with one daily flight
Can react fast. They have the plane anyways and crew in home hubs always on standby. Would be great tonget those evening flights in and out. 300 people a flight. Lufthansa, Virgin, Etc.

Yeah I wouldn't do anything until we see what the next 24-48 hours hold. If Dorian slows down and starts to turn north, that will be a good sign, but I'm just not counting my chickens yet.

Was at PO R for Irma, was not too bad. This time hopefully Ill arrive post chaos. WDW did a great job with keeping us entertained. Only issue I had was the DDP use on the Lunch Sacks.

First thing I said when they announced they were closing was it was way too early to do that. Glad they were able to change it, but no telling how many people cancelled plans that they didn’t need to.
They still don't have a "for sure" handle on this hurricane. Anyone planning to travel early/mid this week should be really aware of any updates from MCO, their airlines and local news.

They still don't have a "for sure" handle on this hurricane. Anyone planning to travel early/mid next week should be really aware of any updates from MCO, their airlines and local news.

This. If anything, MCO has decided to push back the closing because the storm has slowed down more than expected. A few days ago it was supposed to have made landfall by now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter