Hurricane Irma Updates ***Check First Post for closures and more info***

Free dining is only available during certain times. If you reschedule your vacation it is likely that timeframe you reschedule to would not have it as an option especially at this point when free dining is basically sold out.
But free dining offer is no longer available , that means that if I reschedule (even on dates that free dining were offered) I will definitely lose the free dining. What do you think???
Hope you understand my question, my English is not good

But free dining offer is no longer available , that means that if I reschedule (even on dates that free dining were offered) I will definitely lose the free dining. What do you think???
Yes you will lose free dining.

In my opinion, free dining should not make or break your vacation. It does not offer you a huge amount of savings and in terms of what this storm could do I would rather have a fun memorable vacation than one where I am sitting in a room and it is raining for several days.

This is true. Hurricane force winds currently extend 60 miles in each direction from the center and tropical force winds extend 160 miles. Have gone through many hurricanes in Florida and participated in disaster relief on a couple of them as a former govt. employee. Day after Andrew hit Homestead, I was on hurricane relief. After seeing the total annihilation, I decided then and there it was time to "get out of Dodge" and transferred at the first available chance. One of the reasons there was not more devastation, was the area past Homestead was Everglades and no improvements. The state has built up so much now, that it will take days to evacuate and that would be if the impact area was known. Don't think I would want to be heading to the area for a vacation at the moment. Of course, Irma could just go through the Keys and head to Houston too, or go up the West coast of Florida. Too early to tell, but the further North it goes to make landfall, the closer it is to Orlando. All is only my opinion.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/us/hurricane-irma-florida-prep/index.html

As a Houstonian who just saw the catastrophic damage still ongoing from Harvey, Irma needs to stay away from Texas.

DI_hipMWAAAniJO.jpg

Inland is such a relative term in Florida. It takes an hour or so to go coast to coast as the crow flies, so you're not gonna get a ton of weakening when it initially reaches Orlando

Generally, the greatest danger in a hurricane comes from storm surge, not wind. for example, the National Hurricane Center notes that many of the people who died in Katrina lost their lives because of storm surge. Storm surge doesn't affect an inland area.

About Storm Surge: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/

Due to strong building codes, it's rare for structures in Florida to collapse due to hurricane-force winds. I'm in Fort Lauderdale in an evacuation zone. That evacuation zone is due to the possibility of storm surge, not winds.

Yes you will lose free dining.

In my opinion, free dining should not make or break your vacation. It does not offer you a huge amount of savings and in terms of what this storm could do I would rather have a fun memorable vacation than one where I am sitting in a room and it is raining for several days.

True but in lieu of free dining one usually chooses the room discount (after doing the calculations), if they care about saving money.

I posted this on another thread, but feel I need to share...

I live in Tampa and am monitoring the storm. Keep in mind, no matter the plot this is a massive, massive storm over 400 miles wide. FL is a little over 100 miles wide. ALL of Florida will be effected. The gov. is asking for ALL of Florida to prepare. Last year Matthew followed a path similar to the current spaghetti models. Matthew was smaller and less intense. Disney closed for Matthew. The path can shift, the forecasts can change. If you can change your plans I would. As a Floridian, we all need to prepare. If you can make adjustment and allow for more Disney employees to be with their families during the storm it would be appreciated by those employees and their families.

Our family has supplies and hotel reservations in the event we need to evacuate.

If you think the media is overreacting then please, listen to Gov. Rick Scott. His advice is sound and should be taken into consideration.

I know many have trips that they are looking forward to, but I can tell you you will enjoy it more without a hurricane.

I agree but in terms of Florida it's in the best spot it could be in.
They say these bands of wind and rain can reach 200 miles from the eye. Whether it's a Cat 4 , 3 or 2 by the time it passes near Central Florida damage will happen. Safest place is home, not trying to take a trip to WDW. Give time for the state to recover with utilities and infrastructure. Why add more to the problem. Rather hear people say we over planned for nothing, then to hear we were unprepared.

They say these bands of wind and rain can reach 200 miles from the eye. Whether it's a Cat 4 , 3 or 2 by the time it passes near Central Florida damage will happen. Safest place is home, not trying to take a trip to WDW. Give time for the state to recover with utilities and infrastructure. Why add more to the problem. Rather hear people say we over planned for nothing, then to hear we were unprepared.
I'm not saying go to WDW because it's completely safe and nothing will happen. I'm saying WDW is in one of the best spots in Florida it can be in. Disney will surely take all the necessary precautions. Safety will be the highest priority since people will be on property.

Generally, the greatest danger in a hurricane comes from storm surge, not wind. for example, the National Hurricane Center notes that many of the people who died in Katrina lost their lives because of storm surge. Storm surge doesn't affect an inland area.

About Storm Surge: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/

Due to strong building codes, it's rare for structures in Florida to collapse due to hurricane-force winds. I'm in Fort Lauderdale in an evacuation zone. That evacuation zone is due to the possibility of storm surge, not winds.

People died during Hurricane Katrina due to the failure of the federal levees. I assure you that wind is indeed a major threat.

Not necessarily. Guest services was working yesterday to have them rescheduled and if at all possible keep free dining. It had to be at a time for free dining and there had to be availability. If so, they were good to reschedule and keep free dining.

From CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/us/irma-florida-latest/index.html

"The Category 5 hurricane is one of the most powerful ever recorded in the Atlantic.
  • The Tropical Storm force wind field from Irma stretches more than 300 miles from end to end.
  • If the storm were centered over NYC, the tropical storm force winds would stretch from Baltimore to Boston.
  • The tropical storm force winds cover more than 65,000 square miles, which, coincidentally enough, is the same as the area of the state of Florida."

"France’s Interior Minister Gérard Collomb says the four strongest buildings on Saint Martin have been destroyed by Hurricane Irma. It's very possible that all other old buildings on the territory have been totally or partially destroyed, too, he said."

"Gov. Rick Scott said the approaching storm was "bigger, faster and stronger" than Andrew, which hit in 1992 as a Category 5."

"There are three named storms in the Atlantic right now: Irma, Jose and Katia.

Jose is located in the middle of the Atlantic, and is forecast to become a hurricane later today. It's forecast to track a little north of the track that Irma has taken, and could be very near the Leeward Islands over the weekend. Future impacts on the US are unclear at this moment

Katia has formed in the southern Gulf of Mexico. The forecast is for the storm to drift very slowly to the south and have little or no impact on Texas."

People died during Hurricane Katrina due to the failure of the federal levees. I assure you that wind is indeed a major threat.
Couldn't agree more, weak trees with debris becoming high-speed projectiles. If you have patio furniture or outdoor items it's best to start bringing them in or securing them from blowing away and damaging other homes or yours.

It has turned again. Looks like it will hit around Miami still but go up the Eastern side instead of right down the middle.

How Florida's theme parks are prepping for Irma
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/us/ir...26e2dee64a98@livefyre.com&hubRefSrc=permalink
  • Disney World: The amusement park's hurricane policy allows visitors to cancel or reschedule their trips if the National Hurricane Center issues a warning for the the Orlando area. (Note: There are no hurricane warnings anywhere in Florida yet.)
  • Universal Studios: The park says its operations are continuing as normal, but officials are closely monitoring the weather. "We have plans and procedures for serious weather that are both time-proven and constantly updated. And everything revolves around the safety of our guests and our team members," a spokesman said in a statement.
  • Sea World: The Orlando park said it has not yet made any changes to park operations, but officials are tracking the storm. "We have an extensive list of precautionary measures based on the proximity and level of the storm, including such safety procedures as securing outdoor equipment and inspecting foliage throughout the park," the park said in a statement.

I cannot tell anyone else how to react to a storm like Irma promises to be, but I do know that I would not fly into one. WE live in CT, and while there is no real comparison to hurricanes, blizzards can be pretty tricky, and as experienced as my husband is with 45 years driving and moving heavy equipment, he will not deliberately drive into a one. (I am a lousy driver) I figure a hurricane should be treated with the same caution.

I understand savings, I also do not ever pay full price. But most of the value from your vacation is in the parks, I would assume, so if you cannot enjoy them, your value is greatly diminished. Even if you get refunded the cost of park tickets for your stay, are you going to feel the trip was a value? Or if you are stuck in an airport? How much will that time cost you? I do not envy your decision, I really do not.

This is a screen shot of the letter sent from our FL county schools. In Tampa, farther from the projected path than Orlando.

"All of Florida is facing a threat more serious than at any time in recent memory."

Please, please, please if you can reschedule your trip do so.

The storm is as wide as Florida is tall. It is not a strand of spaghetti. All of Florida will be impacted.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.PNG
    IMG_0422.PNG
    198 KB · Views: 37

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter