Hurricane watch 2018

That wave will move across Florida and into the Gulf Monday into Tuesday.

Monday afternoon and for most of Tuesday will be pretty rainy. NOW, that DOES NOT mean steady rain ALL day. (most likely no sun at all but not rain all day) These systems bring waves of rain. So heavy downpour for 30 minutes or so then a break for an hour. Rinse and repeat all day like that.

Tuesday looks to be the worst day. Should start clearing out by Wed afternoon.

Thank you! I have AK on Tuesday so at least I’ll get on FOP since it’s indoors. Might want to change my Kali and Safari though? Hmmm.. :scratchin

Thank you! I have AK on Tuesday so at least I’ll get on FOP since it’s indoors. Might want to change my Kali and Safari though? Hmmm.. :scratchin

Well I mean your going to get soaked on Kali anyway so why not just keep that. Safari, I mean you are covered in the truck. Maybe some rain coming in sideways. Animals should be out rain or no rain.

Well I mean your going to get soaked on Kali anyway so why not just keep that. Safari, I mean you are covered in the truck. Maybe some rain coming in sideways. Animals should be out rain or no rain.

Maybe about Kali, but I do like the opportunity to dry out. :rotfl::rotfl:

I just looked and my third FP is for Up, not the safari. I may keep that and just roll with it.

Monday afternoon and for most of Tuesday will be pretty rainy. NOW, that DOES NOT mean steady rain ALL day. (most likely no sun at all but not rain all day) These systems bring waves of rain. So heavy downpour for 30 minutes or so then a break for an hour. Rinse and repeat all day like that.

Thank you for this! What is your weather source? I’m suspicious of the forecasts I’m seeing, and yours sound good!

I arrive on Wednesday and would like to see how much rain I might be dealing with.

Thank you for this! What is your weather source? I’m suspicious of the forecasts I’m seeing, and yours sound good!

I arrive on Wednesday and would like to see how much rain I might be dealing with.

My weather source is computer models. BUT, things can change within an instant here in Florida. So there is no 100% forecast EVER down here. I can only see what I am seeing on computer models (the same ones they use on tv). If this wave moves more South than models are showing it changes the forecast completely.

Again we are NOT talking about a complete washout. On and off rain. Could be a period of 3 to 4 hours of no rain at all. There even might be some sun on monday. Tuesday looks pretty cloudy though.

That would be awesome if it clears out by Wednesday afternoon as that's when we arrive :umbrella:

The best is when a hurricane is forecast, the governor calls a state of emergency, everyone panics, and then the hurricane doesn't come anywhere near Orlando. The parks are nice and empty because everyone cancelled their trips. That happened on a late August trip we took. We kept our reservation and found empty parks. :)

Ahh... I remember watching Irma last year. "Ah it won't even become a hurricane!" "Ah it will stay out in the water not touch land!" "Ah it will just affect the lower parts of Florida!" "Ah I'll be gone before it even gets to Orlando!"

Until eventually...

"Uh, hello Animal Kingdom Lodge? Can I add a few more nights to my stay please?"

It was stressful as all hell watching it before the trip. But there were only a few moments during the trip I felt really crazy stressed about being here during it. And, funnily enough, being stuck in Animal Kingdom Lodge during the actual hurricane was maybe my favorite experience ever in Disney World!

Last edited:
We will be arriving on 9/8 and am really hoping that the storm brewing off of Africa stays out to sea. We had to cancel our trip the day we were supposed to leave last year due to Irma. I booked a 2nd trip for this November just in case though. Fingers are crossed that we get to leave in 8 days!

I have a son that is a meteorologist at NASA. DW and I are going to WDW from Oct 19 to Nov 16. The problem is my son says by that late in the year, all his days at the weather machine are used up and he can't guarantee good weather for me. How is that for gratitude? :sad2:

We will be arriving on 9/8 and am really hoping that the storm brewing off of Africa stays out to sea. We had to cancel our trip the day we were supposed to leave last year due to Irma. I booked a 2nd trip for this November just in case though. Fingers are crossed that we get to leave in 8 days!
We are scheduled to fly in Sept 7th and I am feeling nervous as well.

Another South Floridian, and weather enthusiast here. Been through many many storms in my lifetime, in Florida and in other places. I guess the worry of a vacation being rained out might be slightly annoying/bothersome, but in general, I don't really find much reason to worry being at Disney during a storm. They're well prepared, have plenty of hard structure shelter spots, and excellent staff and emergency response capability. Personally, rain at Disney never bothered me, but then living here means rain is a strong possibility any day from April through November...and as long as there's not heavy electrical activity, I'll walk around happily in the rain and enjoy the lower crowds.

Last year, we were looking lined up in Irma's crosshair when she was still a Cat 5...that was a bit worrisome...but the last minute weakening and the jog further west before turning kept the Atlantic coast out of the eyewall, so Irma just ended up making a mess but not really damaging much over here. Though spending 4 hours in my pool scooping up hundreds of pounds of leaves and branches that were nearly 3-feet-deep across the pool bottom was NOT particularly fun!:
original.jpg

My house is all hurricane-glass, strengthened roof with small overhang, non-flood zone, and fortified doors and garage, so not much worry riding out most hurricanes here - I might consider evacuating for a strong 5 though.

10 years ago, Hurricane Wilma made much more of a mess in PB County, with the eye and dual eye walls passing directly over our town. No power for 9 days, lots of roof damage throughout the town, and virtually no tree not stripped or felled. 11 years ago, the dual hit of Frances and Jeanne were also messy - 4 days no power after Jeanne, 8 days after Frances...but the loss of power during those two storms was much worse than Wilma because it was still hovering around 93 degrees and humid for both...after Wilma, we had a freak cold front that dropped nighttime temps into the 40s, so being without power wasn't nearly as miserable!

Hurricane Irene, the just miss of Andrew and David, sailing through the gulf right behind hurricane Rita on a cruise ship as we skipped some ports and bailed out for home...and my first hurricane experience way up in New Jersey for Hurricane Bell in the late 70s...I've been close to or in many storms. I've visited islands right after they were crushed by hurricanes, and visited Disney just a few weeks after Charlie tore through.

That's where I get my Disney hurricane experience from - even though I wasn't actually AT Disney during a hurricane. After Charlie tore up Orlando, Hurricane Frances walloped the Atlantic coast of FL, then also passed over Orlando. I needed a break after 8 days in a 100 degree house with no power and all that cleanup, so I booked a last-minute Disney trip, staying at Old Key West with a friend. While there, we got to see all the Charley damage, and the cleanup efforts...and then got the warnings buzzing through Florida that the 4th major hurricane in one year was headed for Florida...Jeanne looked like she was going to hit the same spot Frances did and was headed for Orlando as well. More importantly, my home was just all cleaned up and put back together after Frances and I was no longer there...so I had to make the tough decision to either ride out Jeanne at Disney, then head home and hope nothing happened, or leave Disney early and head home to batten down the house (bring in patio furniture, shut down unnecessary power, fill the tubs, etc). Disney had already begun distributing flyers under the doors telling guests where the shelter spots were, what time to evacuate rooms and head to shelter, and various entertainments planned for kids, food to be passed out, etc. They were prepared! I decided best to head home and make sure all was OK and ready - so I woke the morning that Jeanne was coming ashore and headed south on the Turnpike back towards home. Northbound Turnpike was near-standstill, with bumper-to-bumper traffic for dozens of miles, all evacuating...meanwhile, heading south was...me. Oh, and the occasional emergency truck or police car. Felt kind of stupid being the only car headed INTO the storm while everyone else was trying to get out. :) I got home in time to bring in furniture and delicate items, batten down the house, have dinner, and go to bed. Jeanne roared through around 11pm, immediately knocking power back out...the next morning, I woke up, changed for work, drove to a hotel in the next county south, booked a room, threw my suitcase in, and went to work. I wasn't going to spend one single day without power in that heat after going through Frances. A very good decision! A peaceful 4 days in a hotel, then I was able to head back home when power was restored.

Got back up to Disney a month or so later, and in the parks and resorts, there was nary a sign that 3 hurricanes passed overhead. Only when taking the busses between parks and resorts and passing all the forested land did you notice how many trees were felled and stripped of branches.

BTW - I'm headed to Disney Sep 7th for 4 nights. Not worried at all!

We do not normally travel during hurricane season so this thread will be greatly appreciated as this year we are traveling in October

This is us, too. We don't usually travel in October but this year we are flying to Florida last week of Oct and doing WDW for a couple of days before getting on the Fantasy for the Western Carib. And in Oct 2019 we are doing the DVC Bermuda cruise the beginning of the month! Travel insurance (lots of it!!! lol) purchased for this year already and will definitely be getting it for Oct 2019 as well.

Following along too. We fly down on September 9th and are there until the 16th. All 5 of my trips have been during Hurricane season so I’m always stressing for weeks before we leave.
We're traveling to Universal Orlando those exact same days. I'm crossing my fingers knowing very well this is prime Hurricane season :-|

The best is when a hurricane is forecast, the governor calls a state of emergency, everyone panics, and then the hurricane doesn't come anywhere near Orlando. The parks are nice and empty because everyone cancelled their trips. That happened on a late August trip we took. We kept our reservation and found empty parks. :)

We experienced that once on a late August trip. This was before New Fantasyland when there was only one Dumbo and there was a zero wait to get on at 12:00pm.

I spent last September 8, my birthday BTW, waiting in line at Home Depot for 7 hours for plywood that never came because someone stole my corrugated shutters. Yay!!

I found some via a neighbor who helped me put them up.

We now have accordion shutters because hanging panels and wood sucks.

I have a son that is a meteorologist at NASA. DW and I are going to WDW from Oct 19 to Nov 16. The problem is my son says by that late in the year, all his days at the weather machine are used up and he can't guarantee good weather for me. How is that for gratitude? :sad2:
Lol I sent a note to my weatherman asking him to ensure flying weather for my trip! Offer to buy more time at the weather machine.

Very sad day last year when I unpacked the suitcases because of Irma. So we try again flying in on the 8th for our first F&W. Fingers crossed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter