Hurricane watch 2018

Thank you! Validation helps :) And you make a good point, I just want to be sensitive to people fearing losing homes, etc, since this is "just" a vacation.

Me either..and since no advisories have been issued it seems too early too call and ask. Are you flying SW too? I can't remember if you posted that or not...but they're usually pretty good about rearranging and getting planes where they need to be. Crossing my fingers for you!!!! We're all in this together at this point.

Thank you for your sensitivity. As a resident of Pawleys Island, SC, I appreciate it. The ocean is literally a half-mile from my house, so this thing is very real for us. And, on top of that, we're scheduled to leave a week from today for a weeklong trip to Disney for my husband's 50th birthday. I'm an executive for the local hospital system, so I don't get to evacuate no matter what comes this way. Sucks on all fronts! Just praying it curves more to the north and just sideswipes the coast.

Add us to the list of watching Florence this week. We were scheduled to begin our drive from PA to Savannah GA on Thursday, but had decided this morning to leave Wednesday morning to arrive in Savannah that evening. Now that I'm seeing both Carolina's in the storm path, I'm second guessing that decision thinking we should stay inland more. ?? We drive Rte 81 to 77 to Columbia SC, then 26 to 95. We pick up 95 below Santee SC. I'm concerned about 95 in South Carolina down to the Georgia border. It looks like Savannah is just below the projected storm edge. (For now)

Thank you for your sensitivity. As a resident of Pawleys Island, SC, I appreciate it. The ocean is literally a half-mile from my house, so this thing is very real for us. And, on top of that, we're scheduled to leave a week from today for a weeklong trip to Disney for my husband's 50th birthday. I'm an executive for the local hospital system, so I don't get to evacuate no matter what comes this way. Sucks on all fronts! Just praying it curves more to the north and just sideswipes the coast.
Yep, always fun working hurricane response, whether you are in the mess or just providing support for those affected. Done it a few times.

@Araminta18 I posted this on the Sept. 2018 thread too, but according to the SW rep I spoke with today....if there is a large scale weather event that doesn't impact my departure or arrival airports, but impacts the route the flights take, it's not unheard of for them to issue an advisory, since they can only change the route my so much. I take this with a grain of salt but that makes me feel a little better, at least at this point. Anyway, I would think that if a hurricane does impact the Carolinas, the D.C. airports would be impacted by an advisory as well since all of that traffic would have to shift somewhere, and D.C. seems a likely choice (to me anyway) because of the abundant flight options. :confused3
Or maybe they'd just do an overall advisory for all east coast airports?
It sounds like we'll know a lot more tomorrow in regards to track, intensity, etc.

@OhhBother , I really hope everyone and everything you love is safe from this storm. :hug: I agree with @Araminta18 that we all are aware of the potential catastrophic loss a hurricane can bring; thank you for understanding that our obsession over it and it's potential to ruin or change our vacations doesn't mean we aren't aware of that.

Add us to the list of watching Florence this week. We were scheduled to begin our drive from PA to Savannah GA on Thursday, but had decided this morning to leave Wednesday morning to arrive in Savannah that evening. Now that I'm seeing both Carolina's in the storm path, I'm second guessing that decision thinking we should stay inland more. ?? We drive Rte 81 to 77 to Columbia SC, then 26 to 95. We pick up 95 below Santee SC. I'm concerned about 95 in South Carolina down to the Georgia border. It looks like Savannah is just below the projected storm edge. (For now)
Personally I wouldn't stay anywhere near the coast or Savannah. If it were me I'd avoid 95 entirely since it could potentially impact as far south as Jacksonville. Also, it may be more difficult to find a room if people from the Carolinas are going to travel south on 95 to escape the storm.

Praying for this outcome too. I am sure it is incredibly stressful.

@OhhBother, I really hope everyone and everything you love is safe from this storm. :hug: I agree with @Araminta18 that we all are aware of the potential catastrophic loss a hurricane can bring; thank you for understanding that our obsession over it and it's potential to ruin or change our vacations doesn't mean we aren't aware of that.

Beautifully stated, @areno79

Beautifully stated, @areno79
It surely was beautifully stated - thank you❤️
I was born in South Carolina - and now live in the northeast - hurricanes, blizzards - Mother Nature has a mind of her own - and I have the utmost sympathy for anyone going through either - including myself!
DH says" Don't worry about what you can't control" ( as if that helps)
To everyone - both in the path and on the way - please stay safe - and remember - as Peter Pan would say - "All it takes is faith and trust and pixie dust". (Meaning to me at the moment that if some of us don't make our trips now, we will eventually)
Sending lots of love to all from here

Yep, always fun working hurricane response, whether you are in the mess or just providing support for those affected. Done it a few times.

Thank you both for your service to your communities.

Praying for this outcome too! Be prepared and stay safe--even though we're focusing on our vacations, like @areno79 said, we're all aware of the potential for catastrophe here. :(

@Araminta18 I posted this on the Sept. 2018 thread too, but according to the SW rep I spoke with today....if there is a large scale weather event that doesn't impact my departure or arrival airports, but impacts the route the flights take, it's not unheard of for them to issue an advisory, since they can only change the route my so much. I take this with a grain of salt but that makes me feel a little better, at least at this point. Anyway, I would think that if a hurricane does impact the Carolinas, the D.C. airports would be impacted by an advisory as well since all of that traffic would have to shift somewhere, and D.C. seems a likely choice (to me anyway) because of the abundant flight options. :confused3
Or maybe they'd just do an overall advisory for all east coast airports?
It sounds like we'll know a lot more tomorrow in regards to track, intensity, etc.

@OhhBother , I really hope everyone and everything you love is safe from this storm. :hug: I agree with @Araminta18 that we all are aware of the potential catastrophic loss a hurricane can bring; thank you for understanding that our obsession over it and it's potential to ruin or change our vacations doesn't mean we aren't aware of that.

Thanks for the info! I would think the DC airports would be impacted, but just don't know. I was hanging out on the reddit for tropical storms and had to leave 'cause wow, all they were focusing on is the potential absolute craziness. Too worrisome! Just gotta wait and see what happens tomorrow...

Praying for this outcome too! Be prepared and stay safe--even though we're focusing on our vacations, like @areno79 said, we're all aware of the potential for catastrophe here. :(

Thanks for the info! I would think the DC airports would be impacted, but just don't know. I was hanging out on the reddit for tropical storms and had to leave 'cause wow, all they were focusing on is the potential absolute craziness. Too worrisome! Just gotta wait and see what happens tomorrow...
Oh boy...that sounds like a rabbit hole I should probably leave alone. Hahaha

I think we can all safely agree that we all hope for minimal disruption and minimal damage to every single person who is in the direct path or effected by any storm every. I pray for everyone's safety and pray that everyones property stays safe.

With that being said this is a Disney Blog and everyone that is one this thread should understand this and I hope that no one would be offended by us talking about the impact on us personally. Most of us have spent a grip of money for these vacations and in doing so we have the right to be worried in our own right but in different ways. I feel 100 percent bad for everyone effected the same way I have felt terrible about the Wildfires here in Northern California that are effecting so many now but I still have to live my life and be grateful for waking up this morning and being able to plan and go anywhere. I mean no disrespect to anyone at all.

Oh boy...that sounds like a rabbit hole I should probably leave alone. Hahaha

Don't--seriously. Stay away, otherwise you'll freak out even more. I'm already starting to worry about our house here in DC and it's probably going to be fine up here, but the crazy got to me a little bit.

We rented DVC points for this stay, so we're committed unless we want to lose that money, and we don't want to, so that's got me worrying too. Speculation speculation speculation! just gotta wait and see. (as many times as I've typed that you think it would stick! lol no)

I was traveling down I95 from Virginia to Charleston a day ahead of Irma last year. Starting about the NC/SC border I had trouble finding any gas. I had to check six different exits before I finally found a Love's truck stop that still had gas. So if you are traveling along I95 during Florence don't forget that Love's aren't just for trucks, they have go-gas for cars as well.

I think this should be safe space where we can voice our worries...I mean, we all understand that there are horrific possible outcomes for residents but our carefully planned, expensive, and much needed vacations matter too.

I have no answers about how airlines deal with it. I assumed they would most likely cancel which is the reason for my concern, but I truly hope I am wrong and they have ways of circumventing the storm. We are not on the coast but our plane on 9/14 seems to be coming from BWI and that is my fear...that it won’t be able to take off and cause a domino effect of cancellation or delay.

I don’t deal with uncertainty well at all either.
Really well put. Dh and I are flying in to Orlando from London UK on the 15th so the hurricane will likely be directly in our usual flight path. I'm hopeful that we will just reroute but there's no way of knowing yet. Its definitely good to have a place to vent worries, we booked this vacation 18 months ago and life has thrown a lot our way in that time frame so this trip is really needed. Its not just a simple case of changing travel dates etc for us and virgin Atlantic have cut down the amount of flights per day to Orlando while it's quieter so a lot of flights are already full which may make it difficult to move onto a later flight if ours is cancelled.
Thinking of those likely to be affected when Florence makes landfall.

Thanks for all the well wishes! And don't worry about worrying about your trips. Like I said, we're supposed to leave for Disney a week from today. So even though I'm worried about my home and my community and this beautiful piece of the coast I love, I'm also worried about my vacation, darn it. So, trust me, I get it! We all love Disney, and we look forward to these trips. Nothing wrong with that!

I was traveling down I95 from Virginia to Charleston a day ahead of Irma last year. Starting about the NC/SC border I had trouble finding any gas. I had to check six different exits before I finally found a Love's truck stop that still had gas. So if you are traveling along I95 during Florence don't forget that Love's aren't just for trucks, they have go-gas for cars as well.

This is what I’m worried about! We can try to fill up a couple times before we get close and I do have a hybrid that should get me 400 miles, but I don’t want to push it and not have gas

As of right now looks like my parents (flying out Monday the 17th) will be taking a direct hit in the Wilmington area. I would say their best bet is to fly out a few days early, but I don’t know if they would want to do that without being able to go back and check on things at their house. It’s literally brand new, they just closed last week and are still moving in

Hi all!

We fly out Saturday the 15th from RI with a direct flight to MCO. (Seems both airport areas will be ok for now)

Last edited:
I was on the phone last night with the most awesome CM Abel. He was super helpful and very understanding of our situation. I have been up since EARLY this morning looking at available dates to reschedule. IF this big girl hits us, we have another date that will work, and both our resort and flight have availability right now. So once we get the travel advisory my DH will be on the phone with Abel, and I will be on the phone with SWA changing our plans simultaneously. Thank goodness my house/pet sitter is flexible and she is totally cool with changing dates!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter