I booked the wrong week…what would you do?

PeterPanFan123

What if I fall? Oh,but my darling,what if you fly?
Hello. Long post, but I need and appreciate your advice.

Although we’ve been Disney-bound for years, we are only a few years into our DVC ownership and consider ourselves to be newbies. Our home resort is BRV and we usually book a studio.

We have always traveled to Disney on or about Thanksgiving, and stayed the full week after. Thanksgiving usually falls the 3rd full week of November, but this year, it falls in the last week of November. Here comes my mistake…at the 11th month mark, and in a pre-Christmas, auto-pilot, mommy-brain-haze, I booked the wrong week at our home resort. :sad2: Instead of booking November 28, 2019 - December 8, 2019, I goofed and booked November 21, 2019 - December 1, 2019, one week earlier than I intended (not only did I goof for the first 7 nights, I repeatedly goofed when I added each subsequent night! Ugh).

I was so upset at myself when I discovered my mistake a month later. And now there’s no availability for a BRV studio during the timeframe I intended to book (we have no additional points for a 1BR, and we'd rather not borrow). For several reasons, we don’t intend to keep our current reservation of November 21, 2019 - December 1, 2019, but for now, we haven’t cancelled it.

I currently have one waitlist for December 1, 2019 - December 8, 2019 (since we already have the first 3 days that we want from our original booking, i.e. Nov. 28-30). MS tells me that it’s a “slow time of year” (not the case from what I understand) and that I should have "no trouble" with our waitlist coming through. I absolutely hold out no hope that a 7 night waitlist is going to come through for the first week of December (unless you all think otherwise?)

From time to time, a day here or there will pop up during the week that I want. MS has discouraged me from grabbing one day at a time, and piecemealing our trip. I feel like I should do what I can, instead of waiting on our waitlist to possibly (never) come through.

What would you do?
  1. Would you just hang tight and see what happens with the waitlist?
  2. Or would you grab day-by-day and see if you can patch together the week you need?
  3. Also, I know it’s just a guess, but do you think there’s any chance of movement at the 7 month mark? In other words, current booked BRV home resort guests switching to a different resort at the 7 month mark, thereby possibly opening up the week for us?
  4. Is there something else that I've not considered?
Thank you for sticking through this long post and for your thoughts and advice. :thanks:

I'd drop the days you don't need (or can't use) from your reservation (unless you can use them after all) and start picking up nights by stalking and waitlisting. Just like MS said it's not a busy time (it is the busiest time of the year, first week of December) and they recommended not picking up nights as you can, ignore that. Start picking up dates, waitlisting a day or two during the time you can't get. Then ask them to piece it all together into one reservation.

Waitlisting a longer time is a lot harder to get than just a day or two. Switching to a different studios at seven months out is going to be harder than just picking up a night or two as you can. BRV owners book their home for the holidays because of the holiday decorations at the resort.

MS was incredibly wrong for that time being slow.

They are kinda wrong, kinda right, about piecemealing.

If you grab a night in the middle of the week, you then have to make two new waitlists. Lists are done by priority if how long you’ve been on the list, and a new waitlist is new. And I think you’re only allowed two waitlists at a time, so then if you grab another night that makes three gaps in that week, you’re out of luck for one gap.

I managed to do that to myself for 2018 and it was very stressful thinking about changing resorts (I had a 11 month reservation but changed it later in a most awkward way) multiple times as I grabbed individual days and had to revise waitlists. It did get done. But it was over Princess and not thanksgiving.

So it might work out, it might not.

And remember for the future, it’s the 4th Thursday. That’ll save you from going on autopilot. I was just scrolling though the last several years and it’s hit the 4th full week a couple times. Just all depends on what day of the week November starts on!

Totally agree with @Deb & Bill. Drop what you don’t need now and pick up your dates by waitlist and stalking. Split your waitlist into two parts so you can pick up smaller chunks. Rinse and repeat as you fill in the holes. I just called MS yesterday to combine a 5 part 9-day Frankenstein reservation for mid October in a BWV studio into one reservation. Yes, a standard view studio for Food and Wine. It can be done. I think it took me about 6 weeks from grabbing my first days until I had everything and I started about 3 months into the booking window.

I would also have a back up plan for my piece of mind. Maybe book a room only somewhere so you won’t feel too anxious during the process.

If you grab a night in the middle of the week, you then have to make two new waitlists. Lists are done by priority if how long you’ve been on the list, and a new waitlist is new. And I think you’re only allowed two waitlists at a time, so then if you grab another night that makes three gaps in that week, you’re out of luck for one gap.
Your WL priority is worthless if the whole chunk doesn’t become available.

Yes, I'd take the advise of Deb&Bill.

When the 7 month mark hits start checking multiple times a day, especially just after 8 am. There is always movement at 7 months.

With a waitlist, if you waitlist seven nights, you have to wait until all seven nights come in at once. If you waitlist one night, you only need to hit that one night. So even if you move down in the line by changing your waitlist, you'll be a lot closer to matching one night instead of seven, no matter where you are in line.

I'd drop the days you don't need (or can't use) from your reservation (unless you can use them after all) and start picking up nights by stalking and waitlisting. Just like MS said it's not a busy time (it is the busiest time of the year, first week of December) and they recommended not picking up nights as you can, ignore that. Start picking up dates, waitlisting a day or two during the time you can't get. Then ask them to piece it all together into one reservation.

Waitlisting a longer time is a lot harder to get than just a day or two. Switching to a different studios at seven months out is going to be harder than just picking up a night or two as you can. BRV owners book their home for the holidays because of the holiday decorations at the resort.

This is great advice, thank you. I've gone ahead and dropped the 1st day from our existing reservation and added 1 day from the week that I want. I will follow your advice of a combo stalk/waitlist approach. I'm hoping all will work out in the end! Thank you again! :)

MS was incredibly wrong for that time being slow.

They are kinda wrong, kinda right, about piecemealing.

I managed to do that to myself for 2018 and it was very stressful thinking about changing resorts (I had a 11 month reservation but changed it later in a most awkward way) multiple times as I grabbed individual days and had to revise waitlists. It did get done. But it was over Princess and not thanksgiving.

So it might work out, it might not.

And remember for the future, it’s the 4th Thursday. That’ll save you from going on autopilot. I was just scrolling though the last several years and it’s hit the 4th full week a couple times. Just all depends on what day of the week November starts on!

I can see the concern with ultimately ending up with a patchwork of reservations with gaps- yikes. Also, the possibility of having to move multiple times.

Ha! I appreciate the calendar correction...what can I say...I consider myself to be a pretty good planner and an organized person, but I really goofed this time. I'm tough on myself when I make mistakes, but I'm trying to move on and fix it with everyone's good advice. :)

FWIW, I don't expect a lot of movement at 7 months. Lot of factors:
  1. Availability is stinky. Can't switch without somewhere to switch to!
  2. VB, HHI and Aulani points trying to get in.
  3. If people cancel - like you are - there are people who were shut out in home resort with waitlists already.

Totally agree with @Deb & Bill. Drop what you don’t need now and pick up your dates by waitlist and stalking. Split your waitlist into two parts so you can pick up smaller chunks. Rinse and repeat as you fill in the holes. I just called MS yesterday to combine a 5 part 9-day Frankenstein reservation for mid October in a BWV studio into one reservation. Yes, a standard view studio for Food and Wine. It can be done. I think it took me about 6 weeks from grabbing my first days until I had everything and I started about 3 months into the booking window.

I would also have a back up plan for my piece of mind. Maybe book a room only somewhere so you won’t feel too anxious during the process.

Thank you, this is great advice as well, to split my waitlist and pick up smaller chunks. I feel like I need to be actively doing something other than just waiting around for a waitlist that will probably never come through for us. And the fact that you picked up a studio during F&W with some diligent stalking/waitlisting, this gives me hope (love your Frankenstein reference, lol)! Thank you!

With a waitlist, if you waitlist seven nights, you have to wait until all seven nights come in at once. If you waitlist one night, you only need to hit that one night. So even if you move down in the line by changing your waitlist, you'll be a lot closer to matching one night instead of seven, no matter where you are in line.

Makes perfect sense.

FWIW, I don't expect a lot of movement at 7 months. Lot of factors:
  1. Availability is stinky. Can't switch without somewhere to switch to!
  2. VB, HHI and Aulani points trying to get in.
  3. If people cancel - like you are - there are people who were shut out in home resort with waitlists already.

Ah ok, so I should temper my hopes of a lot of openings at 7 months. Thank you.

Ah ok, so I should temper my hopes of a lot of openings at 7 months. Thank you.
Or you may need to do a split stay. You might find some opening easier at 7 months for OKW or SSR. I would suggest grab a room to do a split stay at 7 months and maintain the waitlist/stalking approach for the rooms you want. I believe MS can modify what reservations the waitlist is to replace without dropping your placement down the line.

Or you may need to do a split stay. You might find some opening easier at 7 months for OKW or SSR. I would suggest grab a room to do a split stay at 7 months and maintain the waitlist/stalking approach for the rooms you want. I believe MS can modify what reservations the waitlist is to replace without dropping your placement down the line.

We do love BRV, but I'm keeping an open mind that we may need to split stay. As long as we have somewhere to land!

Now that you mention it, I thought I'd have to cancel and create a new waitlist(s). I actually just learned today after I called MS and got a really nice and seemingly knowledgable rep that waitlists can be modified, so that (in her words) I would keep my place. I hope she's right.

I have had incredible luck piecing together holiday reservations at the last minute. Like just a few weeks out. You need to be stalking the resort availability tool. All the time. Resort availability changes all day long. You need to be able to grab a studio cancellation before the waitlist grabs it.

And make 1-2 night waitlists. Much easier to match. Just be very proactive. I have pieced together some GREAT last minute stays with dvc.

I have had incredible luck piecing together holiday reservations at the last minute. Like just a few weeks out. You need to be stalking the resort availability tool. All the time. Resort availability changes all day long. You need to be able to grab a studio cancellation before the waitlist grabs it.

And make 1-2 night waitlists. Much easier to match. Just be very proactive. I have pieced together some GREAT last minute stays with dvc.

Thank you, your experience will keep me positive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter