I can't vacation with you.......

Erzengel

DIS Veteran
I'm sure a lot of people here have friends and families that they love but they do not make ideal travelling companions.

Whether it's different interests (i.e., want to see things vs. I just want to lay out by the pool or people who need to plan everything from the morning they wake up to when they get back to the room vs. loose with their plans)

We love to travel with laid back people who do not get upset if we don't spend every waking moment together. If the other party wants to skip a meal, ride, rope drop, whatever, feel free! We can catch up later. Another parent is tired but their kid wants to hang with us or vice versa? No problem. I have had one trip with a family member who liked to leisurely shop in each gift shop after every ride. No problem, except she wanted everyone to wait for her. She got upset when someone suggested we meet up with her later. Eventually there was yelling and crying, so we all waited in silence and watched other people enjoy rope drop and prime time park touring. Then she had to find a locker for all her stuff (we were off site), lol. Fun times I tell you.

We've vacationed with the in-laws and we had to adjust our vacation style and so did they. It can be a great fun to vacation with them. We did vacation once with my mom (she's not one to vacation a lot anyways)

That said when my husband and I vacation together there's just an ease to it. Some vacations we don't want anyone to join under any circumstances. Others that's not an issue.

I don’t like to travel with anyone except for my husband and my kids. I did the group thing at Disney once with my mother, my MIL, and my little brother...

Never again.

Right there with you. I will not vacation with anyone but my wife and kids. Even traveling for work, I prefer to do on my own. If i do have to go with a co-worker, when the work day is done i go do my own thing.

We’ve vacationed with my in-laws 3 times (once to Disney and twice to the beach) and it was so stressful each time. They seemed to be having a terrible time in each trip, but then when we got home told us what a great time it was and how they couldn’t wait to go again.

We’ve gone to the beach twice with my family and those trips were better since my family is much more laid back, but there were still stressors.

DH and I have now realized that just the two of us vacationing is the best way to go even if it costs more because no one is sharing the cost of the rental with us.

I have no desire to vacation with anyone except DD and now dgd3.

And even then, I may go do something ride related etc on my own.

I don't travel with anyone who doesn't live in my house. Ever. Vacation is a time for us to get away, and we do it together, just the 4 of us.

Yes, we realize that my kids are learning what we taught them, and they likely will not want to vacation with us when they have their own families, and we're fine with it. I won't blame them because I don't want to travel with my in-laws or parents either. and my in-laws are great people.

We don't like to travel with others. We have traveled with my parents or DH's parents, but we are tolerable to traveling with them because they are our family. When DH was deployed I went on two vacations with a girl friend. After the 2nd trip I said I'd rather go alone then with someone else. My vacation time is so valuable I want to be doing what I want to do, not make compromises.

One of my good friends can't understand how just DH & I could go someplace on our own. She doesn't understand how we couldn't be bored just the two of us. LOL! I can't understand how she could want to go with a group.

We are vacationing with 3 other families this summer. Let's just say I'm not really excited about it :rolleyes1

We’ve traveled with my in-laws three times to Disney and that was great each time. They basically said whatever I planned they would do and they did :) They had fun and were grateful for me planning everything.

We’ve also traveled with my mom and my younger sister and her family six times now I think. We’ve done cruises, all-inclusives, hotels, rented houses together. We started this after my dad died 11 years ago. I enjoy traveling with my sister and her family. My mom is usually good for some of the trip but then starts getting cranky. Our last trip was especially bad for her. I think it’s a combo of missing my dad, physically getting more limited and just her personality. She’s like this with her friends when she travels with them too though so we don’t take it personally :rotfl:

One of my good friends can't understand how just DH & I could go someplace on our own. She doesn't understand how we couldn't be bored just the two of us. LOL! I can't understand how she could want to go with a group.
I think sometimes people feel you get a lot of enjoyment by being with other people but the more the merrier doesn't (edited:corrected word) mean more enjoyment. At times it can be the completely opposite lol.

Last edited:
I like vacationing with just DH. Since DDs moved out they don't come with me anymore, but I'm not adverse to the idea of them joining. And when DDs were younger, absolutely no friends tagging along was permitted.

An overnight or weekend with a friend or other family member are OK, but not a whole vacation.

When we rent a house at the beach for a week in the summer, friends and relatives are welcome to visit for the day or overnight.

We cruised with DH's extended family several times. Everyone did what they wanted during the day. We got together for dinner and swapped stories about what we'd done that day. We usually did one shore excursion together during the week. Fun times, tho one bro-in-law didn't like to be away from home at Christmas time, and the larger the family grew, the harder it was to find a date that everyone could go. Our last cruise we had 48 people, so finding an agreeable time/cruise was tricky.

My extended family rented a huge vacation cabin but we overfilled it to the point we were like rats in a cage. Trying to sleep while my 2-yr-old grand-niece was bangin on the door was a bit much. (Her momma called to her from the top of the stairs, even used her full name several times, but that's as far as the discipline went.) Not my idea of a fun time. Another year the troops got together for a reunion, some families camped out while others stayed in motels. We stayed home. When we get together for a wedding or funeral, it's nice to have dinner together, but we're too old and ornery for sleep-overs.

Last edited:
This is going to sound weird, but I try not to do things "that matter" to me with my sister. She and I do lots of things together, go places, etc., but we always have to do it HER way. She just thinks her planning is superior. I love to visit her, go places with her, etc., but I know that we are going to follow her plan and do things the way she wants. DD and I had to stop going to WDW with her because it was just a waste of our time. My sis/her family went frequently to WDW; her husband (now ex-) is a flight attendant and was a CM, and they had a Marriott timeshare, so they traveled practically for free. It was no problem for them to go to the parks at 11, back to the hotel to swim by 2, and maybe go back in the evening, maybe not, because they knew they'd be back in a month. Not so for DD and me! As we often stayed offsite and shared a vehicle, this had to stop. We finally had one trip to Disney where I swear we spent more time at the hotel than anywhere else. DD and I were terribly frustrated (actually ended up taking cabs to the parks) and I vowed never again.

Only vacation with my DH and kids. The personality differences and vacation styles are just way too different. It wouldn’t go well.

When I was pregnant with my twins my FIL took me aside and told me he wanted go camping with all his kids families after the babies were born. Just what I wanted to do; be trapped in the woods with a man who despises me while trying to take care of two babies and a tween. :thumbsup2 Did I mention I hate camping/fishing/hunting/boating/hiking? And I love my DH’s sibs but after a couple of days I’m done. (Goes for my sibs as well) I would have sucked it up though. Fortunately this grand plan never came to fruition.

Some people are awesome to travel with, some not. And some trips are conducive to it and some are just not.

Our first few Disney trips we had no desire to travel with anyone else because we knew we wanted to do it our way. After we had a few trips under our belt, now we are happy to travel with others.

We took my Dad a couple of times and while I was worried, he turned out to be great to travel with. I had to adjust my usual planning as he walks much slower and loves to browse through stores and shop. Good thing he is a night owl who loves to go, go, go.

One time I went with a girlfriend for her first trip. We had loads of fun but it was an adjustment for me to accommodate her "wing it" style. And I have a very bad habit of goibg overboard to make sure ppl get to do what they want so the first day I kept fussing over refreshing to get same day FPs when she decided she would like to try ToT. She got irritated with me buried in my phone so finally I just smartened up, put it aside, and said, "sorry, no ToT". She also spent a ton of time shopping. On our last night I told her to go on to Disney Springs by herself as I wanted to ride some more rides. Thankfully she was cool with that. At the end of our trip, she told me she loved traveling with me since I was the first who "could keep up with her". I just smiled since I had had to slow down my pace considerably for her haha!! I was happy to accommodate her for that trip though. I did leave her to sleep in every morning while I hit the parks solo though!

Now I love traveling with my two best friends. Our kids grew up together and we go on a trip every year. We do a fair bit together but also happily split up whenever any of us want to do something different. Also none of us do drama....which is delightful. I remember one year my friend's teen DD kept worrying one of us would get offended over whatever and her mom kept telling her we just don't do drama in our group.

I like not feeling compelled to have together time. Last year, we spent a week in a cottage with DH's siblings and their SOs. Overall, it was a lovely week. But I went a bit stir crazy at too much together time by the end. My in laws insisted on watching slapstick comedies (I detest Mr Bean!!) every single night and DH loves watching them laugh so he kept choosing those movies. And then really, really wanted me to sit in the living room with everyone. By the final night I smartened up and brought a book to the living room and did my best to tune out the movie. Oh well, not my favourite trip ever but worth it for DH and his siblings to spend some extended time together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter