• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I don't see the difference

The tip line on a credit card is automatic if they are classified as a restaurant by the credit card company.

I don't tip at either. If have to walk up to the counter to order, pick up my food there is nothing to tip on.
Maybe not the credit card issues but certainly by the machine issuer, It's a standard function and needs to be disabled. Big chains like McDonald's have had is disabled from the beginning.

Panera only started using the tip function a year or two ago (or something like that)-- they didn't always have it. Plus, it seems to be tailored to them specifically; it asks something about how much you'd like to tip your bakery server or something like that.

Panera only started using the tip function a year or two ago (or something like that)-- they didn't always have it. Plus, it seems to be tailored to them specifically; it asks something about how much you'd like to tip your bakery server or something like that.
Maybe they got new debit machines? Just because its has a tip function doesn't mean you have to USE it.

Might be because they have delivery too and it’s easier to keep the transactions uniform.

I also do not tip at Panera. It has never crossed my mind!

I do have 1-2 fast food places that I leave something, but we have become friends with the owners and they always take care of us, so I want to give back. The one a few times has put the payment through without giving me a chance since we do not have to tip. If he does, I just find soem cash to drop in the jar. We do it because we appreciate them looking out for us (such as saving us a table with a reserve sign if we call ahead to let them know we are coming).

As an outsider looking in, yes, US tipping culture is way out of control. Some of the threads here asking about tipping are just ridiculous. People stress over tipping their mailman and garbage men. Seriously, they are doing their job and should not be rewarded extra for ‘oh, but he always makes sure the mail goes in the box’ or ‘but he always makes sure he picks up any mess he drops while emptying the bin’.

If only the mail delivery person put it in the correct box . . .:rolleyes1

I tried to tip the police officer that caught a guy speeding by my house because I thought he was doing a stand up job. I asked him what his salary was so I could be sure to give him the correct percentage. Boy, that didn't go well at all.

So many places expect tips. Tips are something you earn for your service, not just because you ask. There have been places I don't tip for horrible service.
Maybe some business's don't allow tip jars, and some do.

And the cashier isn't the person who gives you your food ... so who gets the tip if you add one to your Panera bill?

This is why I don’t usually tip at these types of places. My daughter worked at Dominoes when she was in high school and said they never saw a penny of the tips. My husband was pretty irritated when he later learned that so he has cut back his tipping for things like that where you don’t know where the top is going.

We do tip at food trucks and small businesses where you know the person receiving the tip.

My nieces scoop ice cream in the summer at a local dairy, and I know what they earn; for many years I made less an hour than they do, and I was teaching in special ed. Of course, the tip jars are always out! It just is so annoying that people think they should be tipped for doing the job they are being paid to do.

Yeah, I hate the tip line on a lot of these places where it really isn't warranted. The employees are being paid an actual wage, not "tipped position" wage. Sure, tipping for service above and beyond is okay, but how often does that happen, and how can you know at the time since you pay first? I do feel uncomfortable not leaving anything, but I usually make it a lower amount.
I completely agree with this. My youngest loves to get food from Subway and every location near us has a tip jar at the register and I find it annoying. They are putting lunchmeat on bread and handing us empty cups--it's not exactly service. I have so much anxiety about tipping but this is one instance where I don't think twice about not leaving a tip. I will throw in a dollar or two for one particular worker because she goes out of her way to be friendly to my daughter and make it a nice experience. As a rule, I don't tip at counter-service restaurants because it's not necessary, OP. You only "need" to tip at restaurants where a server is bringing your food to your table or refilling your drinks for you.

Learned this lesson the hard way when I worked at Kenny Rogers Roasters in high school. A very nice man slipped a $5 bill into my hand in the serving line and my manager watched the transaction, stormed over after the man walked away and took the money! No tips for fast food! I mourned the loss of that money because back in those days that $5 would have bought me about 3 gallons of gas!

I completely agree with this. My youngest loves to get food from Subway and every location near us has a tip jar at the register and I find it annoying. They are putting lunchmeat on bread and handing us empty cups--it's not exactly service. I have so much anxiety about tipping but this is one instance where I don't think twice about not leaving a tip. I will throw in a dollar or two for one particular worker because she goes out of her way to be friendly to my daughter and make it a nice experience. As a rule, I don't tip at counter-service restaurants because it's not necessary, OP. You only "need" to tip at restaurants where a server is bringing your food to your table or refilling your drinks for you.

Learned this lesson the hard way when I worked at Kenny Rogers Roasters in high school. A very nice man slipped a $5 bill into my hand in the serving line and my manager watched the transaction, stormed over after the man walked away and took the money! No tips for fast food! I mourned the loss of that money because back in those days that $5 would have bought me about 3 gallons of gas!
All the sandwich artists of the world are shedding a tear right now.

I've never eaten at a Panera. I know my local mall has one inside so I guess I might have to check it out next time I'm in the area. I'll update everyone on whether there is a tip line or jar asap.

Mmmmm, I live in the Western suburbs of Chicago and have never once been asked to tip at Panera. I’m at Panera once a week for teaching planning.

That’s really interesting, I’m at two different Panera’s in my city weekly and both of them have the screen that comes up when you run your credit card. There’s a box you touch for 10%, 15%, 20%, other, or none and you have to hit a box to finish the transaction. I don’t tip there.

It’s pretty common around here. The WORST is a cupcake place where the cupcakes are over $5. I walked in, pointed to 2, the clerk put them in a box, handed me the box while I scanned my card, and the screen asked about the tip- I thought they seriously think I should tip them $2 for an interaction that took under 20 seconds from start to finish??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter