I finally found a way to get DH excited about Disney! - ADDED LINK TO TRIP REPORT

amandaw

DIS Veteran
All Aboard! It's time to get this crazy train rolling!

My trip planning is always crazy because I am a changer! I change vacation dates, resorts, ADRs....you name it, I change it! :laughing: This trip has evolved so many times in so many ways, I don't think I even remember all of the changes I've made so far.

But, before we get into all of that, let me introduce you to our crew:

This was taken on the Dream last May.

First, there is my husband, Ed. He works very hard for our family to have the things we need & also take great vacations. Ed enjoys our Disney vacations but he doesn't get into the planning like I do. I try to talk to him about stuff & I usually get, "Whatever you want. That's fine. I don't care." Which is great because I can plan whatever I want. But, I always want to see him excited about the trip & really into the planning.

Then there is me, Amanda. I'm a stay at home mom, maid, cook, financial planner, personal shopper, vacation planner....and the list goes on. :laughing: I love to plan our trips & am very OCD about it. The amount of lists I have about ADRs alone is absolutely ridiculous! :sad2: But, I enjoy my Disney planning & get very upset when I don't feel like it's turning out like what I envisioned. I also get sad when I don't have a trip to plan. I don't even have to go on the trip....just as long as I can plan it I'll be happy.

Finally, but certainly not least, there is Reid. He is the apple of our eye & such a character! He just turned 4 a couple of weeks ago. He is all boy & such a vibrant child. He's usually either cracking me up or driving me up a wall. :rotfl2: But, either way, I adore him. I just wish I could find a way to freeze him so he stays 4 forever. :scratchin

Now that the introductions are over, let's get to the fun stuff: the planning! I won't take y'all through all of the changes this trip has had....that would take way too long. But, I'll start by telling y'all that we were supposed to be going in December. I wanted to go during the slow time (the 2nd week of Dec.) one more time before Reid starts kindergarten in 2013. We love going during that week: great weather, low crowds & Christmas at Disney! Need I say more?

Well, one night, Ed started telling me that Disney was doing a new race this year: the Tower of Terror 10 mile. Back story: Ed got into running last summer. He has done really well with it & has started running races. Also of very important note, his favorite ride in all of Disney is Tower of Terror.

I could tell how excited he was about this race. In fact, I had never seen Ed so excited about anything having to do with Disney. At first, we contemplated going down for a short trip just him & I. But, I really couldn't justify the money for such a short time. That's when we decided to move our December trip up. He was so excited when I called him at work to tell him I had booked our package and registered him for the race. I've decided that if a Disney race is all it takes to get him excited about going to Disney, then he can run every race Disney offers! :lmao:

Ok, onto our basic plans. We are going to try driving to Disney for the first time ever. Initially, our plans called for us to leave on Friday, September 28th & drive half-way to Disney. On Saturday, September 29th we would check into Boardwalk & be there until checking out on Saturday, October 6th. However, of course this has changed! :rolleyes1

We are in the process of building a house & should hopefully be closing in May. So, I decided that we should try & save some money. We own a timeshare with Hilton. Luckily, we are able to trade our time with Hilton into other properties, such as DVC. I had been looking for something with our dates to trade into but nothing was popping up. I knew it would be long shot since the Tower of Terror race seems to be attracting a lot of people & that weekend will be the start of the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. I would have loved to been able to trade into the Boardwalk Villas but I knew that just wasn't going to happen. So, I hopped on the first thing that came available: a studio at Old Key West.

The only thing was that the check-in date is Sunday, September 30th. So, these are our plans now:

Friday, Sept. 28th: drive half-way to Disney
Saturday, Sept. 29th: check-in to Boardwalk
Sunday, Sept. 30th: check-in to Old Key West
Sunday, Oct. 7th: drive the whole way home

So, I didn't get the December dates I wanted. And I didn't get the resort I wanted. But, I do get one extra day of vacation. Ed is very excited about the trip, me not as much. What's up with that? :confused3

I think doing this PTR will help me get more excited. Monday will be my day to make ADRs. I am excited about that. However, I do have some ADR conundrums to figure out. I'll post about those in a few nights because I will need y'all to help me figure out what to do with a few of them!

I will wrap up this first post by saying that, while I've done a trip report before, this is my first pre-trip report. So, I promise to try not to bore y'all too much. :laughing: And, most importantly, I just want to go ahead & say "Thank you" to everyone who joins in for all of the planning fun! And if there are any lurkers, please feel to free to say "Hi!".

I'm here!

First of all, Reid is adorable. Love that little smile!

I have a Disney notebook for this trip. In it I have a list of all the lists I need to make. :lmao: It's driving me absolutely crazy that the dining reservations aren't showing up on Disney's website, because I like to look at all of them (daily).

Can't wait to hear what ADRs you are going to try for. Are you doing DDP?

I love the Boardwalk, but Old Key West looks so peaceful and laid back. Good choices!

I hope the PTR help you get in the spirit! Food and Wine is a goal of mine...

I'm here!

Yay! I'm so glad you came on over! :woohoo:

First of all, Reid is adorable. Love that little smile!

Awww, thank you so much! He's such a sweet & crazy boy. It's funny...that picture was taken last May & I feel like he looks so much younger there. Not really different, just younger.

I have a Disney notebook for this trip. In it I have a list of all the lists I need to make. :lmao: It's driving me absolutely crazy that the dining reservations aren't showing up on Disney's website, because I like to look at all of them (daily).

I am up to 2 Disney notebooks & a journal. :sad2: I drive myself crazy when I can't remember what I have in each notebook. :laughing:

Sounds like there has been lots of problems with the ADRs & the website. From ADRs not showing up to people not being able to book ADRs online. I really hope it's up & running Monday morning.

Can't wait to hear what ADRs you are going to try for. Are you doing DDP?

We will be doing the DDP but it won't start until our check-in at Old Key West. I still have to add that to our OKW reservation. But, since you have to pay it in full when adding with DVC, I'm waiting until we've moved into the new house.

I love the Boardwalk, but Old Key West looks so peaceful and laid back. Good choices!

Boardwalk is my #2 dream resort (Contemporary is #1). So, I was bummed to not be staying there the entire week. But, at least I get to try it out for a night. I won't lie - I'm a little unsure about OKW. I think the resort itself & the rooms look very nice. My only concern is the distance to the parks.

I hope the PTR help you get in the spirit! Food and Wine is a goal of mine...

I sure hope so, too! This will be our first time at Disney during Food & Wine so I'm interested to see how much it affects our touring & what we do.

Joining in! Can't wait to read more!!:) I remember you from the RC thread...you have a lovely family:goodvibes

Hi there!

I'm so happy you started your TR, so we can follow along with your planning adventures!

I understand how you feel about OKW. Its not my favorite either, but its still a really nice resort, and I think you may end up liking it more than you think. It really isn't that far from the parks, all in all its pretty centrally located, and you'll have a car, which will certainly cut down on hassle and travel time.

There isn't any way you could change resorts if availability opens up, is there? I have no idea how the Hilton timeshare works.

We're actually going to be at OKW in two week with Dh's parents, so I'll take lots of pictures and report back all the good things so I can help get you extra excited? :goodvibes

Amanda, thanks for the heads up. I'm here and reporting for duty. :goodvibes

I can't believe Reid is four years old! He is just too stinkin' cute.

I'm glad DH is now excited about Disney, and I think this is a perfect way to work in those yearly DW visits.

I think once you get making ADR's, etc., you'll get more excited too. Can't believe we miss you by a week. :sad2:

joining in.

Glad you could make it!

Joining in! Can't wait to read more!!:) I remember you from the RC thread...you have a lovely family:goodvibes

Thanks you! I'm glad you joined in! Oh yes, I do frequent the RC thread. :laughing: Although, here lately, I've done more lurking than posting. Since my resort is now set in stone, I've been obsessed with ADRs. :sad2:

Hi there!

:wave:

I'm so happy you started your TR, so we can follow along with your planning adventures!

Thank you! I'm glad y'all are here to follow along with my madness. I already need some advice for a few different things on this trip, so I'm sure y'all will be of great help to me. :thumbsup2

I understand how you feel about OKW. Its not my favorite either, but its still a really nice resort, and I think you may end up liking it more than you think. It really isn't that far from the parks, all in all its pretty centrally located, and you'll have a car, which will certainly cut down on hassle and travel time.

I sure hope you're right. That's good that it isn't that far from the parks. I can definitely see us using our car more than Disney buses this trip. Which is kind of nice when you're dealing with a stroller....as you well know!

There isn't any way you could change resorts if availability opens up, is there? I have no idea how the Hilton timeshare works.

Unfortunately, no. Well, I could cancel (lose my registration fee of $180) & then re-book....possibly. Not 100% sure that's possible.

We're actually going to be at OKW in two week with Dh's parents, so I'll take lots of pictures and report back all the good things so I can help get you extra excited? :goodvibes

How much fun! I can't wait to see your pictures & hear all about it!

Amanda, thanks for the heads up. I'm here and reporting for duty. :goodvibes

:wave2: I'm so happy to have you aboard!

I can't believe Reid is four years old! He is just too stinkin' cute.

Thank you! I can't believe he's already 4. :sad2: I asked him the other day if he would just stay 4 forever for me. He looked at me & said, "No, Mommy. I have to grow big & strong so I can ride Rock & Roller Coaster." :rotfl:

I'm glad DH is now excited about Disney, and I think this is a perfect way to work in those yearly DW visits.

It's so strange having him more excited about a trip than me. He's already talking future races he wants to do at Disney! :woohoo: And he mentioned that he'd like to get the coast to coast medal (you have to race 1 race @ WDW & 1 @ Disneyland within the same year). So, that means we'll get to try out Disneyland one day!

I think once you get making ADR's, etc., you'll get more excited too. Can't believe we miss you by a week. :sad2:

I agree....making ADRs always gets me excited.

I know! I'm so sad that we're barely missing each other!

The Tower of Terror Ten Miler will be awesome! Are you and Reid planning on attending the after party?

I bet OKW will be a good choice. Probably not as convenient as the Boardwalk would have been, but still good.

The Tower of Terror Ten Miler will be awesome! Are you and Reid planning on attending the after party?

I bet OKW will be a good choice. Probably not as convenient as the Boardwalk would have been, but still good.

Ed is so excited about the race, especially since it ends in the Tower of Terror. We are going to the after party. Although, I don't know how long Reid will stay awake for it. My goal is to get him to wear him out that afternoon & try to get him to nap before we leave that night for DHS. But, that will be a miracle if my child takes a nap. Worse case scenario....he'll just sleep in his stroller while I wait for Ed to finish & then we'll enjoy the festivities.

I hope OKW will be ok indeed! I definitely would have preferred to stay at Boardwalk the entire week, but at least we will be there the night of the race. And we are saving a nice chunk of change to put towards stuff for the house. So, I know I'll be happy about that once we're in the new house.

I'm here! Can I just say, Reid is PRECIOUS! Such a cutie!

I'm sorry you don't get to stay at the Boardwalk after all! I bet it'll be awesome doing a split stay though. Plus, extra vacation day? Awesome!

I hope making ADRs will help you get more excited! Hooray, can't wait to hear all about it!

I'm here! Can I just say, Reid is PRECIOUS! Such a cutie!

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you came on over!

I'm sorry you don't get to stay at the Boardwalk after all! I bet it'll be awesome doing a split stay though. Plus, extra vacation day? Awesome!

Yeah, I was pretty bummed about not being at Boardwalk the whole week. But, I'm slowly getting over it. At least I do get to try it out for a night. And, an extra vacation day is always a plus!

I hope making ADRs will help you get more excited! Hooray, can't wait to hear all about it!

I think it will. I'm hoping to have time to post some ADR stuff here tomorrow night. I need to look at my list again but I think I may need to change up a few things.

I'm in:thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear all of your plans. I tried to convince DH to let me hop down to WDW for the 10mile run, but so far it hasn't worked. I think if I really push it I could convince him, but it will come down to this race or the Princess Half so I don't know what will happen yet. I look forward to reading all about it, it sounds so cool.

Ooooohhhhh, a cruise ticker. :banana: You know that as soon as I read your TR, I will be forced to book a trip on the Fantasy. :laughing: It's looking like it won't be until 2014 before we cruise again:sad1:, I'll have to live through your TRs again.

Reid is just so adorable:love: I can't believe he starts school next year.:eek:

Joining in! Reid is super cute!

We're going down about a month later, first time in October. I would suggest doing a little research on the F&W Festival, that may get you excited, it definitely worked for me!

I would love to train to do one of the marathons, I think it would be so much fun.

Hi there! :wave: I'm so happy to see you here! Thanks for joining in!

I can't wait to hear all of your plans. I tried to convince DH to let me hop down to WDW for the 10mile run, but so far it hasn't worked. I think if I really push it I could convince him, but it will come down to this race or the Princess Half so I don't know what will happen yet. I look forward to reading all about it, it sounds so cool.

That would be so much fun if you could make it for the ToT race! The Princess Half does look like it would be a lot of fun too, though. It'll be interesting to see how this race affects our touring.

Ooooohhhhh, a cruise ticker. :banana: You know that as soon as I read your TR, I will be forced to book a trip on the Fantasy. :laughing: It's looking like it won't be until 2014 before we cruise again:sad1:, I'll have to live through your TRs again.

:rotfl2: Yes, you'll have to book the Fantasy for 2014 after my TR next year! :lmao: I'm really excited about doing a longer cruise next year.

Reid is just so adorable:love: I can't believe he starts school next year.:eek:

Thank you! I know...I can't believe how much he's growing up. It's so bittersweet!

Joining in! Reid is super cute!

Thank you! I'm happy to have you here!

We're going down about a month later, first time in October. I would suggest doing a little research on the F&W Festival, that may get you excited, it definitely worked for me!

I think you're right! I think I'm starting to get a little excited since I can make ADRs Monday. And I am excited to experience F&W for the 1st time and also MNSSHP. Are y'all planning on doing the party?

I would love to train to do one of the marathons, I think it would be so much fun.

I'd be surprised if I could do a 5K! :rotfl: The Disney races do look like a lot of fun. I wish running was my thing! Shoot - I wish exercise was my thing! :lmao:

Good evening! I hope everyone is having a fantastic week! Mine has been wonderful just extremely busy. Reid had his 1st field trip this past week. They went to the zoo & I was lucky enough to be able to join them. They had so much fun. Of course, they were most excited about getting to ride a bus there. :laughing: Today, I pretty much spent the entire day getting stuff ready for their class Easter party this coming Tuesday.

This weekend will be busy as well. Reid's birthday was March 16th. We are having a joint birthday party for him & his best buddy this Saturday. Should be a lot of fun & almost the entire class is coming! :woohoo: Then, Ed & I will actually have a date night! :yay:

But, come Sunday night, I have got to sit down & finalize what ADRs I really want! As I mentioned in my opening post, Monday is my ADR date! :cool1: I think I'm good with everything I have listed. However, there are 2 that are just not sitting right with me. And that, my friends, is why I am turning to y'all tonight. I need help! Okay, so here we go.....

1. On our DHS day, I am wanting to do the 1st ADR lunch time for Hollywood & Vine. I am less than excited about the food but Reid loves all of the characters. And I figure I only have so much time left for him to love these Disney Junior characters. For dinner, I was thinking of doing dinner at Sci-Fi. Here's where my uncertainty comes into play. We've never eaten there before so I'm unsure about the food. My other thought is "Should we do the F!package & eat at Mama Melrose instead?" We've never eaten there either, so I don't know about the food. Also, I really want to see Fantasmic because I love it & haven't seen it on our last 2 trips. But, Reid still spooks easily so he may not like it yet. Ok, this was longwinded (sorry) but it comes down to this: Sci-Fi or Mama Melrose? F! package or not?

2. There are 2 ADRs at Epcot that Ed & I are both really wanting to make: Via Napoli & Chefs de France. With F&W festival going on, we really didn't want to do them both in the same day. On Monday, October 1st we were thinking of going to Epcot just for dinner at Chefs (arriving around 4pm). But, then I realized that it's the 30th anniversary of Epcot. Would we be crazy to attempt going there just for dinner? If we don't go that night, I have 2 other options for us to work in both ADRs.
Option A: The day after the race, I was planning on us doing lunch at Beaches & Cream before checking in at OKW. But, I could scratch that & we could go to Epcot for lunch.
Option B: Do both ADRs in one day at Epcot. We just wouldn't be able to try too much at the F&W kiosks.

Ok, to recap situation #2: Do we:
- brave Epcot on the anniversary just for dinner OR
- lunch at Epcot instead of Beaches & Cream OR
- do Chefs & Via in one day at Epcot

I appreciate any insight, thoughts, suggestions! I think these are the only ones I'm really torn about....at least tonight. :laughing: I'm sure come Sunday night I'll be rethinking all of them! :sad2:

Woohoo ADRs! Hmm... well I must say I'm not very knowledgable on a lot of these things!

Okay, number 1... well I have never been to Mama Melrose, but I have heard it's only average. I HAVE been to Sci-Fi and loved it, BUT it is really dark in there and Reid might be a little spooked by some of the video clips on the big screen. I mean, I feel like it's either a love it or hate it place for little kids. (I know, this is not very helpful, I'm sorry!)

Number 2... Question: (And I'm really sorry if you already mentioned this in the intro post) Are yall getting the meal plan? Because if you ARE, I would definitely suggest Via Napoli over Beaches and Cream, just because you would get way more bang for your meal credit hahah. If not, Beaches and Cream would probably be more convenient. Also, if the Epcot 30th is ANYTHING like the MK 40th, I'd stay very very far away! :rotfl:

Hmm... I hope at least SOME of that rambling was useful to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter