I hate to say it , and I hope I'm wrong , but ...

See, I'm the reverse...if I had a family of 5, I'd say there's no way I'd spend over $1550 just visiting one real park and 3 lesser children for 4 days...and instead, I'd get Universal power passes for my family of 5 for $1200 and I'd make sure to go back the following year...so, spending $600/year for main trip theme parks...and giving me the chance to try Sea World, LegoLand, Discovery Cove, Kennedy Space Center, Aquatica, the Merlin I-Drive attractions, dinner shows, museums/special exhibits, etc with my extra saved $950+!!

As I've mentioned before, last year I got Universal Power Passes (and 1 annual pass), LegoLand Day tickets, Seaworld and Aquatica tickets for $50/less per person than it would have cost me to get 4 day Disney tickets per person (at the time). This year, with Universal paid for, I now have an additional "free" vacation to which I've only added the I-Drive triple Merlin attraction for $20/person so far. I may add Aquatica or Legoland again with a great deal, or some attraction we haven't seen, but right now my ticket cost for this vacation is minimal. Disney pushed us to this after 2012 and I can say, we no longer miss it. I have 1 day passes to MK for if and when we just feel like seeing it, but we think we are gonna pass again this year (and since they don't expire, we can).

You're showing a wisdom few have but all should.

And why the &^@&! Would anybody buy it?

And that's your List of "hot rides"? It's honestly pathetic

Wait, you said we are paying double for what's been added since 98.

Yet taking away what's been added and going back to that price- nobody would but it?

Are you asking who the !&*#% in their right mind bought a ticket in 98?

Wait, you said we are paying double for what's been added since 98.

Yet taking away what's been added and going back to that price- nobody would but it?

Are you asking who the !&*#% in their right mind bought a ticket in 98?

As soon as you include what of that is a net gain...ill give you the benefit of the doubt

As soon as you include what of that is a net gain...ill give you the benefit of the doubt

Yes even bring back what's gone if not replaced or being replaced with something.

Or easier, go back to what was offered before 98 for half price. would you do it?

So is it actually a deal or does it feel like a deal? It's an old retail trick to over-inflate the prices on items just so you can claim an impressive 25-50% markdown on them. Even though you never expected anyone to pay full price in the first place.

The fact that Disney even offers those sorts of discounts in the summer makes me wonder.

Someone whose got it.

The magic word is free....NOT!

So is it actually a deal or does it feel like a deal? It's an old retail trick to over-inflate the prices on items just so you can claim an impressive 25-50% markdown on them. Even though you never expected anyone to pay full price in the first place.

The fact that Disney even offers those sorts of discounts in the summer makes me wonder.

Your not saying that Disney would actually use the same retail trick tactics that have made Kohl's, Men's Wearhouse and just about every furniture chain so popular with their BOGO's, 50% off, Kohl's cash and etc offers. What would Walt say, I'm sure he is rolling over in his grave. :rotfl2::rotfl:

P.S. I'm being somewhat facetious and actually agree with you.

See, I'm the reverse...if I had a family of 5, I'd say there's no way I'd spend over $1550 just visiting one real park and 3 lesser children for 4 days...and instead, I'd get Universal power passes for my family of 5 for $1200 and I'd make sure to go back the following year...so, spending $600/year for main trip theme parks...and giving me the chance to try Sea World, LegoLand, Discovery Cove, Kennedy Space Center, Aquatica, the Merlin I-Drive attractions, dinner shows, museums/special exhibits, etc with my extra saved $950+!!

As I've mentioned before, last year I got Universal Power Passes (and 1 annual pass), LegoLand Day tickets, Seaworld and Aquatica tickets for $50/less per person than it would have cost me to get 4 day Disney tickets per person (at the time). This year, with Universal paid for, I now have an additional "free" vacation to which I've only added the I-Drive triple Merlin attraction for $20/person so far. I may add Aquatica or Legoland again with a great deal, or some attraction we haven't seen, but right now my ticket cost for this vacation is minimal. Disney pushed us to this after 2012 and I can say, we no longer miss it. I have 1 day passes to MK for if and when we just feel like seeing it, but we think we are gonna pass again this year (and since they don't expire, we can).

Yes, I agree. Orlando has a lot more to offer then just Disney. We are not big roller coaster people, so skip Universal. We love acquatica, it has my favorite "ride" of all times, Roa Rapids. It's a really fast lazy river. To be honest, I thought acquatica was superior over the Disney water parks. Disney water parks lazy river water level was below my waist (I'm short) when you stood up 3/4 of your body wasn't even in the water, I thought they were boring. We also did discovery cove once and my kids still talk about it, it was the best day ever.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. Orlando has a lot more to offer then just Disney. We are not big roller coaster people, so skip Universal. We love acquatica, it has my favorite "ride" of all times, Roa Rapids. It's a really fast lazy river. To be honest, I thought acquatica was superior over the Disney water parks. Disney water parks lazy river was below my waste (I'm short) when you stood up, I thought they were boring. We also did discovery cove once and my kids still talk about it, it was the best day ever.

I've said many times on different boards, the best water park right now in Orlando is Aquatica - now, once Universal opens theirs in 2017, that may change, but Aquatica is worth its actual ticket cost to go - can't say that for the Disney ones (and Sea World is always offering deals for its tickets, making Aquatica a total no-brainer!:)).

And I agree - Roa Rapids and the big kid play park are 2 unmatched attractions! My family loves them both (we went to Aquatica last time and never even did the big slides since we spent so much time in Roa, the normal lazy river, the big kid play park, the small kid play park, the beach, and the animals...and we had a blast:)...

They are actually making us pay for the new Asian park. :headache:
The cable television business is way larger than all the theme parks combined. Cord cutting is serious business and it has been reflected in the stock price. Trust me, we are not paying for the Asian park...

Basic economics, common sense, and human nature, says that demand will increase when price decreases. Your fixation on "freakonomics" doesn't change that.

Anyway, I'm done playing ping pong with someone who refuses to make any sense. Over and out.

As I've repeatedly pointed out basic economics says no such thing. I've even listed specific instances in other industries where price increases created an increased demand and lower prices reduced demand. Common sense is frequently wrong, yet people will cling to it over facts again and again (which is why I recommended Predictably Irrational).

That a lower priced ticket at WDW would have increased attendance at the parks is speculation not hard fact and when it's being used to defend Disney's pricing model I'd like something more solid than "common sense" particularly given customers role in a free market should be to press back on price increases, not encourage and defend them.

price increases created an increased demand and lower prices reduced demand.
That a lower priced ticket at WDW would have increased attendance at the parks is speculation not hard fact

So lowering the price will reduce attendance-maybe that's why they are raising the price?

So lowering the price will not increase attendance-maybe that's why they are raising the price?

They're raising the price because they want to increase their profits. No other reason is needed. I'm sure they'd be quite happy if it also boosts attendance though.

When it comes to public company the order of importance for financial figures is:

1) Return on Sale (ROS)
2) Growth
3) Revenue
4) Cashflow

Increasing prices is an easy way to improve both ROS, Revenue and Cashflow. Stimulating growth would be a bonus.

They're raising the price because they want to increase their profits. No other reason is needed. I'm sure they'd be quite happy if it also boosts attendance though.

When it comes to public company the order of importance for financial figures is:

1) Return on Sale (ROS)
2) Growth
3) Revenue
4) Cashflow

Increasing prices is an easy way to improve both ROS, Revenue and Cashflow. Stimulating growth would be a bonus.

Plus like you said-lower prices wont help profits (obviously) and will reduce guests (and all their spending) as well.

Pretty obvious logical choice on this one, especially when growth is #2 in importance. Why would they want to reduce growth. #3 would increase as well with raised prices and increased attendance, as would #4.

Last edited:
The price increases for DCL have (to borrow from the great move "Spaceballs") gone right past ridiculous and straight to ludicrous speed!

I've said it over on the DCL board that it's not going to happen right away, but in a few years they are going to start to feel a backlash as other lines increase their family-oriented offerings and market more and more aggressively to families. People will pay a premium over the other lines for DCL...just not 100-150% premiums.

Exactly. When you start comparing identical cruise itineraries between Disney and RCCL and NCL and other lines, you suddenly realize you can take TWO family cruises for one Disney cruise. And while all cruise lines are inflating prices, I still find Disney far and above the most expensive for a 7-day cruise!

Yes, I agree. Orlando has a lot more to offer then just Disney. We are not big roller coaster people, so skip Universal. We love acquatica, it has my favorite "ride" of all times, Roa Rapids. It's a really fast lazy river. To be honest, I thought acquatica was superior over the Disney water parks. Disney water parks lazy river water level was below my waist (I'm short) when you stood up 3/4 of your body wasn't even in the water, I thought they were boring. We also did discovery cove once and my kids still talk about it, it was the best day ever.

We have never been Roller Coaster people, but Universal (now) has so much more. Besides the two Harry Potter lands, we love all the venues to walk through, the 3 and 4D rides and the wonderful Minions house and area and their performance several times a day. We found it unbelievably cheaper (both tickets and food), much more relaxing to walk between parks from your hotel and not depend on buses; or take their lovey river boat. Harry Potter area can be jammed at certain times of the day, but with several exits to leave from and quieter sections of the park, the whole Universal experience has become our favorite "down" time after a hectic 3-4 day visit to WDW. We have visited WDW during every festival and holiday at least once, but we are burned out with the planning phase and the inability to keep within our hoped budget there! Our last trip for my birthday in 2014 was overwhelmingly tiring to try to match up dining and fastpass and plan out your itinerary according to crowds. Pre-vacation planning shouldn't require engineering and accounting degrees LOL

Universal isn't a direct swap for WDW for many people. The rides are different, not better or worse, just different. There is less entertainment at night. Their Halloween season is more adult to put it mildly. They don't have many holiday offerings. Again, not better or worse and if you love Harry Potter it's heaven. People who like theme parks might like both, but it's entirely possible to love WDW and not like UOR (and vice versa).

Universal isn't a direct swap for WDW for many people. The rides are different, not better or worse, just different. There is less entertainment at night. Their Halloween season is more adult to put it mildly. They don't have many holiday offerings. Again, not better or worse and if you love Harry Potter it's heaven. People who like theme parks might like both, but it's entirely possible to love WDW and not like UOR (and vice versa).

Oh, I agree. Neither is a replacement for the other, but both are alternatives. When we were there in December 2014, Universal had lots of holiday offerings, including a Macy's Day parade with retired balloons, hoilday breakfasts with characters and some pretty amazing decorations. Disney had our all time favorite Christmas show -- the Osborne lights, but unfortunately that's now gone :sad:

With 10 year olds being disney adults, our party of four will save money if free dining is offered this year. It is something I hope continues as otherwise I wouldn't consider going to the world in September again due to humidity and love bugs!!!!

Talking as a larger guy when we went to Universal I found I couldn't get on alot of the rides as seats were too small or the harness/belt wasnt big enough, whereas Disney caters for it and I have been on pretty much everything with no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter