I hate to say it , and I hope I'm wrong , but ...

May I add in a word regarding Universal. I don't ride roller coasters but found many attractions that are enjoyable to me. And I'm not a big thrill ride person. Also I just went to enjoy Christmas. And I must say the parks are decorated beautifully. Especially Suess landing with performers on the street. In other words I found it an enjoyable place to spend my pre-Christmas holiday.

And Disney has taken away so many of their holiday offerings such as the much missed Lights of Winter (by me) and now Osborne Lighs are gone as well.

Talking as a larger guy when we went to Universal I found I couldn't get on alot of the rides as seats were too small or the harness/belt wasnt big enough, whereas Disney caters for it and I have been on pretty much everything with no problems.

Oh that's a good point. Yeah, I think the rides are just very different. I'm not a thrill seeker (I'm quite a scaredy-cat) and there is so much more that I will ride at WDW than the two Universal parks. And of course all of the height restrictions and all that too.

I agree 150%.

We never stay in a value. Before purchasing DVC, we always did a cost analysis of free dining vs room discount and the room discount was always the better deal. When my family takes all of us to Disney, booking multiple rooms, the room discount is always the better deal as well.

For the Dining Plan in general, for my family, it is ridiculous to eat the most expensive meals at restaurants we may not really want to go to in order to get the most bang for our buck. When we compare Tables in Wonderland, the Dining Plan and paying out of pocket.... out of pocket is always the least expensive option.

We always stay in a Value, and it's a good deal for us.

Our first five vacations were all at moderate resorts,( 2004-2012 ) on our last mod trip at PORS we got free DDP..It was a good saving..Then in 2014 we saw a 40% room discount for WL..It worked out cheaper than PORS..However for this year we got free DDP again back at WL..So I got out my trusty calculator and added up what we spent on meals,snacks,etc in 2014...Well over $2000 for three of us ( 12 night vacation ) But the saving for this year (14 nights) on food adds up to be more..Swings and roundabouts I reckon.

There was only ever one purpose for free dining: to get heads in beds during slow times of the year. When Disney owned hotels are staying mostly full year round, free dining is gone.
I have friends who were offered free dining in maybe 2008/2009 when the economy was terrible...literally walked up to the counter to check in at their hotel in Sept with their only child who was about 5 years old and were asked of them, "Hey would you like to try our dining plan for free?" At the time, I am going to guess Disney was targeting families like this knowing they would never use up their credits without preplanning (it was a spontaneous gesture in their case, who knows if they had ADRs, who knows if their little boy at anything but Mickey bars the whole week, he certainly wasn't ordering filet), but now this same family has another child, the kids are growing huge by the minute, and they are certainly returning for a trip in the future with this wonderful impression in their minds except this time they'll be paying full price off the menu for 4 people every day. BINGO.

If it doesn't come out though I wonder how many people would just cancel their trips? I always plan my trips at rack rate and stay at FW which rarely ever offers discounts so it's not a big deal to me but many people only go with the discounts, I wonder if they'd still be willing to go if they had to pay full rack rate. Disney makes it really easy to cancel trips.
I wouldn't cancel, but no way I'm going to pay rack rate. Maybe on a value. But we usually stay moderate or deluxe. I would change my plans to stay in one of the DTD Hotel Circle hotels. One year we come in a day early and needed one night. We got a great deal in the DTD Doubletree. A 1 bdrm suite plus free breakfast for the price of staying in a Wdw value cubicle. With no coffee pot.

The first time I went was March 1972 I thought it was overrated then, but for 3.75 a good bargain, and way overrated now. But there are no other parks that compare, then or now, except the competition is catching up quickly now only because Disney is lowering their standards.
We went to Universal after the newest Harry Potter land opened. Many of Universal attractions surpassed WDW. Blows Wdw out of the water with their technology. What was Wdw latest additions? Another clam shell ride and a disappointing 7 Dwarves train that's even tamier than Big Thunder and way shorter.

I don't know if it was mentioned here but now Wdw is selling EMH at MK on certain nights, for a whopping $150 per person, no child pricing. In addition, offering paid morning EMH for 3 rides, Pooh, Pan, and 7Dwarves plus breakfast buffet.
Ive also heard they are offering a resort tour for GF, and charging. Disney has offered resort tours at WL, and a culinary tour at AKL. It's always been free. GF tour will be $15.

My AP went up a staggering amount this year, and for higher prices all around, we are getting reduced services, at parks some attractions are only running one side, with park staffing cuts. more paid events, that used to be free, paid EMH, so making parks more crowded on those days now. Paid preferred parking, no more resort greeters,
Welcome to the new Disney.

I don't know if it was mentioned here but now Wdw is selling EMH at MK on certain nights, for a whopping $150 per person, no child pricing. In addition, offering paid morning EMH for 3 rides, Pooh, Pan, and 7Dwarves plus breakfast buffet.
Ive also heard they are offering a resort tour for GF, and charging. Disney has offered resort tours at WL, and a culinary tour at AKL. It's always been free. GF tour will be $15.

My AP went up a staggering amount this year, and for higher prices all around, we are getting reduced services, at parks some attractions are only running one side, with park staffing cuts. more paid events, that used to be free, paid EMH, so making parks more crowded on those days now. Paid preferred parking, no more resort greeters,
Welcome to the new Disney.
Maybe they'll change the name to Iger World......:rolleyes2

When Disney finds they can not fill the beds , they offer free dining. They know what numbers of bed need to be fill at the two month mark then they decide. Also they need a certain number of people staying in rooms to fill the restaurants. Especially the sit,downs

in Disney's defence - they have a product with huge and ever increasing demand, economics says they could hence choose to charge a lot higher pricing than they do, otherwise the parks wouldn't be so full. There are many things they choose not to charge for - fastpasses, buses/boats, parking at DS, MDE, WiFi etc so I'm not sure I agree with the 'nothing's free' claim, where instead they choose to tap this excess demand is by offering slightly enhanced services to those happy to pay. Most people see no value in these services, but the money they get from them allows Disney to tap what is known as the 'consumer surplus' (look on wiki) I see this as a good thing, a bit like how those paying extra for a few extra inches of leg room on the plane are subsidising my flight...

that said, this 'resort fee' idea crosses the boundary it being compulsory if you stay on-site. It is one of the reasons why we haven't done universal for our past three trips, that and the paid for fastpasses that make us feel like second rate guests

in Disney's defence - they have a product with huge and ever increasing demand, economics says they could hence choose to charge a lot higher pricing than they do, otherwise the parks wouldn't be so full. There are many things they choose not to charge for - fastpasses, buses/boats, parking at DS, MDE, WiFi etc so I'm not sure I agree with the 'nothing's free' claim, where instead they choose to tap this excess demand is by offering slightly enhanced services to those happy to pay. Most people see no value in these services, but the money they get from them allows Disney to tap what is known as the 'consumer surplus' (look on wiki) I see this as a good thing, a bit like how those paying extra for a few extra inches of leg room on the plane are subsidising my flight...

that said, this 'resort fee' idea crosses the boundary it being compulsory if you stay on-site. It is one of the reasons why we haven't done universal for our past three trips, that and the paid for fastpasses that make us feel like second rate guests

And what is their excuse for cutting staff and entertainment during a time of record profits and attendance?

And what is their excuse for cutting staff and entertainment during a time of record profits and attendance?

Record profits aren’t enough, Iger’s job isn’t to please you or I, unless you’re stock holder, Bob Iger doesn’t give a crap about us, that’s the cold hearted truth.

You’re opinion only matters to him, if you’re a stock holder.

As a consumer that’s disheartening, but it’s the world we live in now. I don’t know if any of you had the chance to read the open letter to Bob Iger that made the rounds on facebook this weekend, but it hit the nail on the head. The gist of the letter was discussing how they understood that Disney is a business and how they need to make money, but at the same time a lot of guests are starting to feel the penny pinch and money grabbing time and time again for Disney.

As a stockholder, if I were one, but I’m not, I’d be jumping up and down with joy right now, but at the same time, id be looking at getting out. IMO the lack of caring about their consumer is going to end up biting Disney in the rear. I think the moves that have been made over the past couple of years have left a sour taste in some people’s mouth. I know a handful of families that have backed out of Disney vacations for this year or next year. I spoke to a friend over the weekend that felt like they were unsure of how to even budget for a Disney vacation for next year because they were afraid that whatever they budgeted for, would change a lot by next year.

I have to say that all evidence is pointing in the direction of NO MORE FREE DINING ! And for that matter no more free anything . Disney is in full , all out cash grab mode , make no mistake about it . Yes , I know they'e a business that has stockholders to answer to BUT , enough is enough ....what's next ? Can you imagine them expanding the Wishes Dessert Party and/or the Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party to the areas currently used for guests with FP+ ? I can . And once the new Star Wars fireworks show starts you can be sure they'll have a dessert party area for that as well . Rivers of Light has already begun accepting reservations for "a $pecial viewing area " for those who purchase the $pecial dinner package . Do you see where this is going ? Premium parking spots coming soon to EP , followed soon after most likely by AK & HS . Oh , I forgot to mention the rumored $15 per night resort fee that is expected to be implemented soon . All the while more and more cuts , reductions , and less amenities are taking place every day it seems . Most of us can and do accept price increases every year but it's gotten ridiculous these last few weeks and I don't see anything but more money grab moves coming . I love going to WDW with my family , and it's never been cheap , but moving forward we will look to cut our spending there wherever and however possible . I hope I'm wrong but this is , for the forseeable future what I feel Disney execs have decided to do to keep the gravy train rolling at record speed . Hope the train doesn't jump the tracks . Hey ' I've got an idea for their next advertising campaign...."Disney Parks , where less costs more !"
Well...as reported on wdwmagic...MK Wishes Desert Party being expanded into former FP+ areas ! Guess Mickey needs a new pair of shoes .

most likely they are forecasting being below plan for this fiscal year. companies, good companies, anticipate budget problems not react to them

As a stockholder, if I were one, but I’m not,

If you save for retirement in a 401k then there is a pretty good chance you are a shareholder. This may not be the case for you.

most likely they are forecasting being below plan for this fiscal year. companies, good companies, anticipate budget problems not react to them

Yeah. I just wonder how crazy high that "plan" was.

Doesn't it seem like both crowds and prices are up? How can you be so far below plan if that's true?

They used to charge for Internet. $10/24 hrs. Now with MDE, making ADRs on line, and FPs I don't see how they can charge for wifi. Wifi is now available at all Universal parks & hotels. We stay onsite so don't have to pay for their express pass.
It would be shooting themselves in the foot if they started charging for wifi, busses/boats, & MDE. Just my opinion.

I don't quite understand the "discredit" the FD offer gets. For me, living in Portugal, every USA trip has been the nightmare when factoring in food costs in our budget. The cost of a regular meal there is crazy. Here in my home country you can get a full service with average to good food for as low as 5 usd and no frown from the waitress if no tip was given. I don't remember the last time I spent less than 20 usd for a full (poor) meal in USA, and even then, I'm pushing it. What I mean is, for americans, it's probably no big deal of a discount, but for other countries, it means the deal breaker. I don't even consider going to WDW without the FD offer, ever.

Its an expand/ contract cycle.....

They will continue cost cutting until the service/value levels drop so much they start driving people away.....then they will reverse course and offer up tons of stuff......

back and forth we go, always attempting to maximize profits without affecting sales......same old game......

Its an expand/ contract cycle.....

They will continue cost cutting until the service/value levels drop so much they start driving people away.....then they will reverse course and offer up tons of stuff......

back and forth we go, always attempting to maximize profits without affecting sales......same old game......
They aren't always opening a Chinese theme park that's a billion dollars over budget though.

We recently made a booking for 2017 at a moderate resort room and tickets for the three of us and when the free dining ( wisdom) was added we still saved £200 on the price just quoted the day before FD was released. Even with FD it's still a good price it didn't put the price up at all! We've done the standard do before and honestly it can tie you to the parks a lot. With the QSDP we can just choose our FP+ stuff before we arrive and adapt as needed. It's gonna make the whole trip a bit more relaxed for us. We don't have anything against the TS restaurants we just want to enjoy the experiences more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter