I just let the dog go.

It does get frustrating, catching the same dog all the time!! you take it home and then the next day there it is running around on the razzle again!! drives you nuts,not sure what I would do?
I have a beagle that has escaped 3 or 4 times(he is 4 now) I run around frantic, if someone phones me I buy them flowers and kiss the dam dog(even although he has made me mad and cry all day!)
Once I stopped the car and picked up a dog ,I had picked it up 4 times before, I phoned them and they said, oh dont worry just let him go, he will find his own way home!!( he was in the middle of the road when I picked him up!)
So I said forget it, I phoned the council and they asked for my address, I gave it to them cause they said they would pick the dog up, Guess what, yip, the numpties gave it to the owner, they arrived mad as hell, gonna kick my head in!!!??? So it is a difficult one!!

I sympathise, please dont worry, you do your best, otherwise you would go nuts with worry! I tried to do the right thing and nearly got my head kicked in for it, I am sure the dog will be ok, more to the point ,do they have kids!!:scared1:

I sympathise, please dont worry, you do your best, otherwise you would go nuts with worry! I tried to do the right thing and nearly got my head kicked in for it, I am sure the dog will be ok, more to the point ,do they have kids!!:scared1:

I think so, the last time there was a boy w/ her that looked to be about 13. She did not do or say anything to him.

I'm sorry, but I think what you did/did not do was horrible. I would have gotten the dog, and found a rescue that would take it. I would not have let it run loose, all the while enjoying the sight of the lady trying to catch it. I bet that dog is going to get a beating when it gets home. People like that never blame themselves...they blame the dog.

What's wrong with you? Did you enjoy watching the dog run around? Did you not think of the consequences to that poor dog? I would have "kidnapped" the dog and taken it to a rescue or found a home for it.

So....she was supposed to catch this woman's dog with her chasing it, then refuse to give it back? Sorry, despite anyone's best intentions, I think that's called stealing.

I agree that perhaps the woman isn't a good dog owner, but cruelty to animals can be hard to prove and prosecute if all the lady mostly does is yell, while stealing...umm....probably not a good idea.

So....she was supposed to catch this woman's dog with her chasing it, then refuse to give it back? Sorry, despite anyone's best intentions, I think that's called stealing.

I agree that perhaps the woman isn't a good dog owner, but cruelty to animals can be hard to prove and prosecute if all the lady mostly does is yell, while stealing...umm....probably not a good idea.

YES! Exactly, thank you. Not only that but we have no animal control here. The police do not care, as long as your not hurting anyone or speeding through town drinking they do not give a hoot. We have maybe 2 on duty, if that, per shift. Sometimes I think they are just on call. Small town.

I'm sorry, but I think what you did/did not do was horrible. I would have gotten the dog, and found a rescue that would take it. I would not have let it run loose, all the while enjoying the sight of the lady trying to catch it. I bet that dog is going to get a beating when it gets home. People like that never blame themselves...they blame the dog.

I'm sure the woman was going to be cruel to the dog whether or not she had gotten it back easy.

What's wrong with you? Did you enjoy watching the dog run around? Did you not think of the consequences to that poor dog? I would have "kidnapped" the dog and taken it to a rescue or found a home for it.

That's called stealing. She already stated that there is no animal shelter. If she had placed it in a different home, the woman would have probably found out because as the OP stated she lives in a small town. So even her illegal options weren't really plausible.

I guess its ok if the dog get hits by a car after YOU let it out. What the owner did was wrong but was you did wasn't much better,

I agree, then this woman could have called the police on HER. And telling the police that she was mean to the dog probably wouldn't do any good.

I guess its ok if the dog get hits by a car after YOU let it out. What the owner did was wrong but was you did wasn't much better,

She didn't let the dog out! She merely decided NOT to help the "owner" get her dog back this time.
She let him run instead of trying to help catch him.

Actually, if the dog was running around loose, without a collar, then it's not called stealing, it's called being a responsible citizen. My husband and I once turned a dog in to Cocker Spaniel rescue after seeing a purebred unneutered, poorly groomed dog run around our neighborhood once too often. We had taken it in before, returned it to it's owner, seen it run around, and finally decided to do what is best for the dog.

It seems like the OP was enjoying watching the woman running around after the dog. I wouldn't have found any pleasure in it myself, but then I don't enjoy seeing animals running loose and lost.

Yes, I just reread the Original post where it was stated that the OP had fun watching the owner run around...Sad if you ask me. I feel so sorry for that dog. Hopefully, the next time it is loose, someone else will find it, and won't return it to the irresponsible owner. And that's not stealing.

Actually, if the dog was running around loose, without a collar, then it's not called stealing, it's called being a responsible citizen. My husband and I once turned a dog in to Cocker Spaniel rescue after seeing a purebred unneutered, poorly groomed dog run around our neighborhood once too often. We had taken it in before, returned it to it's owner, seen it run around, and finally decided to do what is best for the dog.

It seems like the OP was enjoying watching the woman running around after the dog. I wouldn't have found any pleasure in it myself, but then I don't enjoy seeing animals running loose and lost.

Yes, I just reread the Original post where it was stated that the OP had fun watching the owner run around...Sad if you ask me. I feel so sorry for that dog. Hopefully, the next time it is loose, someone else will find it, and won't return it to the irresponsible owner. And that's not stealing.

Did I say the dog had no collar? Oops if I did, she had no leash. I think thats what i said.

She was on its trail, and yes, I enjoyed watching her.

No, you didn't say it didn't have a collar, but since you didn't know where the woman lived, I wrongly assumed that while it may have had a collar, it didn't have identifying tags on it. But...we do that, here in our big cities, we check collars for tags and figure out where the dogs belong. In any case, it honestly would not matter to me...I would not be witness to an animal running around, always getting loose. I would turn it in to a rescue, not an animal shelter, and know that I was doing better for the animal.

At any rate, the fact that you got your kicks out of watching the woman run around after the animal, showed me that you really could care less about the dog, you just wanted to see the woman get frustrated and mad. Which we all know she probably took out on the dog.

No, you didn't say it didn't have a collar, but since you didn't know where the woman lived, I wrongly assumed that while it may have had a collar, it didn't have identifying tags on it. But...we do that, here in our big cities, we check collars for tags and figure out where the dogs belong. In any case, it honestly would not matter to me...I would not be witness to an animal running around, always getting loose. I would turn it in to a rescue, not an animal shelter, and know that I was doing better for the animal.

At any rate, the fact that you got your kicks out of watching the woman run around after the animal, showed me that you really could care less about the dog, you just wanted to see the woman get frustrated and mad. Which we all know she probably took out on the dog.

I'll bet there are a whole lot more rescues in your big city than in a town of 100.

::yes::

OP, I'm not really understanding the point of your story - was it a vent, a brag, what?

You had to know there'd be some percentage of people who wouldn't agree with how you handled the situation, yet you complain that people wait to pounce on others like a pack of hyenas. Did you expect pats on the back all around for inciting that woman to physically take out her anger on her dog? :confused3

Jane

::yes::

OP, I'm not really understanding the point of your story - was it a vent, a brag, what?

You had to know there'd be some percentage of people who wouldn't agree with how you handled the situation, yet you complain that people wait to pounce on others like a pack of hyenas. Did you expect pats on the back all around for inciting that woman to physically take out her anger on her dog? :confused3

Jane

I rarely do this, but I don't think the OP incited anything.
She merely told us a story of how she decided NOT to help her neighbor catch her dog this time. (ok, and enjoyed the neighbor's frustration)

I know there are many of you who would have done something different, but frankly, the OP has no responsibility to the owner of the dog. Why should she help her catch the dog only to have the owner abuse the dog?

She responded that she couldn't catch it herself and take it somewhere because the owner was right there, also trying to catch the dog.

MAYBE someday, the OP will find the dog running loose, and alone and will try to rescue the abused dog.

I think many of you are very quick to judge and should lay off the OP just a bit.

No, you didn't say it didn't have a collar, but since you didn't know where the woman lived, I wrongly assumed that while it may have had a collar, it didn't have identifying tags on it. But...we do that, here in our big cities, we check collars for tags and figure out where the dogs belong.

I live in a big city and have a dog with a collar and tag, but no identifying info- just proves her shots are up to date. Also caught a dog in the neighborhood once and it also did not have identifying info. Just because you live in a big city, doesn't mean you can id where a dog lives.

Geesh! Give OP a break!

Perhaps if you think the dog is really in a bad situation, even if there is no animal control in your specific town, you can reach out to a neighboring town and ask them if they can look into it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter