I know it's a long way off... but.. 2018 Dopey

Looks like we've got our registration date: Feb 14th! Dopey 2018 here we come! Anyone got a guess why it moved up 2 months from April to Feb?

$:confused3

I'm sure that's it. I'm just not picturing why they believe it will help them economically. I think someone mentioned active.com and RunDisney getting their money earlier, which makes some sense and is also a little disconcerting. I'm also sure in light of them still trying to sell out Marathon Weekend into November this year that they believe adding an extra two months on the front side is better than trying frantically to sell out later in the year. I'm not sure how much sense that makes, because I don't see it as a demand driver, but they might be trying everything that doesn't cost them money before considering trying to improve the quality of the race weekends.

Looks like we've got our registration date: Feb 14th! Dopey 2018 here we come! Anyone got a guess why it moved up 2 months from April to Feb?
$$$$$$$ though I'm not exactly sure how it adds up.

I read a theory that this gives them more time to actually sell the registrations, which is totally true. I know they have some sort of cut-off date where they stop taking new registrations (a month before the actual race or something like that) - this gives them an extra 2 months to sell, sell, sell.

My guess ... they need the guaranteed cash from popular weekends like W&D, Marathon and Princess earlier in the fiscal year to help pay off actionables like guaranteeing park rental for the dates they have planned, overseas orders for announced things (medals, annual RunDisney merch like the black and red stuff this year).

I think that RunDisney is basically at a break-even point cashflow-wise right now, if they are even break-even to positive. I'm basing this off the merchandise situation - how that in the second-half of the fiscal year, we saw little-to-no merchandise beforehand ... and significant amounts of the W&D merchandise were incorrect and had to reprinted. This just makes me think that RD is having trouble paying bills for these orders towards the end of the year - and with most of the printing and manufacturing done in China, that adds extra shipping time. After talking to people when I volunteered at W&D, the merchandise DID NOT ARRIVE in Lake Buena Vista until the Thursday before Race Week. That's a real quick turnaround to count/inventory merchandise. And it was obviously something that was rushed because of the misspelling.

Anyway. If I had to guess (with my somewhat experience in things like this), that would be why RunDisney is asking for cash upfront a lot quicker this race season.

My guess ... they need the guaranteed cash from popular weekends like W&D, Marathon and Princess earlier in the fiscal year to help pay off actionables like guaranteeing park rental for the dates they have planned, overseas orders for announced things (medals, annual RunDisney merch like the black and red stuff this year).

I think that RunDisney is basically at a break-even point cashflow-wise right now, if they are even break-even to positive. I'm basing this off the merchandise situation - how that in the second-half of the fiscal year, we saw little-to-no merchandise beforehand ... and significant amounts of the W&D merchandise were incorrect and had to reprinted. This just makes me think that RD is having trouble paying bills for these orders towards the end of the year - and with most of the printing and manufacturing done in China, that adds extra shipping time. After talking to people when I volunteered at W&D, the merchandise DID NOT ARRIVE in Lake Buena Vista until the Thursday before Race Week. That's a real quick turnaround to count/inventory merchandise. And it was obviously something that was rushed because of the misspelling.

Anyway. If I had to guess (with my somewhat experience in things like this), that would be why RunDisney is asking for cash upfront a lot quicker this race season.

My guess is simpler. By moving registration up 2-3 months they get to put the initial bolus of cash in the bank and draw interest on that not insignificant chunk of cash an extra 2-3 months before they have to start laying the $$$ out for race weekend expenses.

I'm joining the 'Dopey 2018' crowd! Am a little nervous at the change in registration dates and needing to pay that far in advance for a race without the safety net of a deferral, but guess I will just have to bite the bullet. I've even put a resort booking in the system just to make it that little more real! (as I plan to arrive NYE I was able to lock that week in now).

It'll be interesting to see how they go with so many registrations now opening just before or just after the holidays. I guess it could be that people ask for them as gifts and they get a bump, or people find they are short on cash due to all the other holiday expenses and runDisney end up not having the volume of registrations they historically get on opening. Time will tell.

My guess is simpler. By moving registration up 2-3 months they get to put the initial bolus of cash in the bank and draw interest on that not insignificant chunk of cash an extra 2-3 months before they have to start laying the $$$ out for race weekend expenses.

I would go with this as well, just don't plan on RD lowering the prices for the extra interest they earn ;)

And they do it because they can.

Hi all, been watching these boards a while but never signed up. Just a stalker but I've finally relented seeing these registration dates today. My first race was this past Wine and Dine half and I'm running a marathon in mid January (my first) and again in March so I did start thinking about Dopey in 2018 considering the anniversaries.

Considering we just got back from a whole week on property with two kids, was sort of hoping that I wouldn't have to think about that cost again so soon especially since Toy Story Land and Star Wars land won't be open yet.

Anyway, as someone who has just picked up distance running in the last 10 months, I appreciate all the info shared here.

Hi all, been watching these boards a while but never signed up. Just a stalker but I've finally relented seeing these registration dates today. My first race was this past Wine and Dine half and I'm running a marathon in mid January (my first) and again in March so I did start thinking about Dopey in 2018 considering the anniversaries.

Considering we just got back from a whole week on property with two kids, was sort of hoping that I wouldn't have to think about that cost again so soon especially since Toy Story Land and Star Wars land won't be open yet.

Anyway, as someone who has just picked up distance running in the last 10 months, I appreciate all the info shared here.

:welcome:

Love the username!

joining in...thinking about Dopey but right now I am on injured reserves after Lumiere's Challenge. Looking at my calendar I need to start marathon training by january 9 for july event...but I dont go to doctor until next week again. Hoping I get the thumbs up to start up...I hate losing the last month.

I am thinking about Goofy for 2018, but I'm a little worried about registration. I am doing Princess this year as my second half marathon and want to try and wait until I've actually run the race to sign up for another Disney race. Also, I've never done a full. Is Goofy just insane to consider? I like the idea of a challenge, but am definitely not up to Dopey yet...

I am thinking about Goofy for 2018, but I'm a little worried about registration. I am doing Princess this year as my second half marathon and want to try and wait until I've actually run the race to sign up for another Disney race. Also, I've never done a full. Is Goofy just insane to consider? I like the idea of a challenge, but am definitely not up to Dopey yet...

I don't think it's insane. As long as you train properly and take it easy during the half, doing Goofy isn't more difficult than doing the full by itself. The key is to find a solid training plan to which you can commit to following and sticking with all the way through to the race. I'd recommend one from Higdon. His Novice 1 and Novice 2 plans are excellent and proven to get first-time marathoners to the starting line well trained and uninjured.

I'll second what FFigawi offered. I'm just an average jogger (|<---- this close to age 50 --->|) and have found that training for the marathon more than covers running Goofy or Dopey. That is, provided one does solid training for the marathon. I say that because of one younger co-worker that ran the local marathon on less than adequate training. They finished but if they were doing a half/full back-to-back they would not have been able to complete that challenge. But some of the more gifted people blessed with natural athletic ability can get away with completing a marathon on less than adequate training. I wouldn't recommend that for Goofy or Dopey.

Assuming you are adequately trained, the BIGGEST factor I found in running the Goofy or Dopey isn't the running - it's those daggone early mornings!!! The four early mornings (to me, at least) are every bit of a challenge as the 48 miles of running!

I don't think it's insane. As long as you train properly and take it easy during the half, doing Goofy isn't more difficult than doing the full by itself. The key is to find a solid training plan to which you can commit to following and sticking with all the way through to the race. I'd recommend one from Higdon. His Novice 1 and Novice 2 plans are excellent and proven to get first-time marathoners to the starting line well trained and uninjured.

Thanks! I've kind of mashed up the Galloway and Hal Higdon plans for my half training and I feel like that prepared me well for the distance. I think I'd probably do a similar thing for a marathon, just because I like the mental certainty of running a little closer to the race distance before the big day than some of the Higdon plans do. It's probably not necessary physically, but it gets me to the point of knowing that I can get through the rest of the distance, which is helpful.

I'll second what FFigawi offered. I'm just an average jogger (|<---- this close to age 50 --->|) and have found that training for the marathon more than covers running Goofy or Dopey. That is, provided one does solid training for the marathon. I say that because of one younger co-worker that ran the local marathon on less than adequate training. They finished but if they were doing a half/full back-to-back they would not have been able to complete that challenge. But some of the more gifted people blessed with natural athletic ability can get away with completing a marathon on less than adequate training. I wouldn't recommend that for Goofy or Dopey.

Assuming you are adequately trained, the BIGGEST factor I found in running the Goofy or Dopey isn't the running - it's those daggone early mornings!!! The four early mornings (to me, at least) are every bit of a challenge as the 48 miles of running!

Haha yeah, the mornings I'm a little worried about - Dopey is out for me for the forseeable future just because of the amount of travel and time it takes up. I can consider doing a two race challenge a lot easier what with the early wake-up call and the schedule of the weekend. I'm glad to know that doing a regular marathon plan would probably get me enough training. I would definitely be serious about keeping up with it - I don't want an injury, and I want to be able to enjoy the races as much as possible if I do end up signing up for them. My current plan for Princess is to take it slow and enjoy the Disney-ness of it all, since I did all the harder work for proof of time and stuff in training. I don't think I'll be running any Disney races for time, really, so just getting to the finish line is enough for me.

Thanks for the helpful advice! I think I'm going to wait until I get back from Princess to try and register. If it's for some reason already sold out, then I'll take that as a sign to do it another year. If isn't, I will probably register (!)

I like to go big or not do it all....guess I am not doing Dopey 2018 thanks to now being sidelined with a partial torn Achilles from W&D training and weekend. Sigh...sidelined with no internal walking workouts or running for a minimum of 6 months.

Dealing with the fact that I am set back a year so instead of completing Dopey 6 months before I turn 50...it will be 6 months after in 2019! Still gong to be following along for all the great tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter