I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From another forum there was a question about the last 3 non Disney vacations you took-I realized I'm not very creative-Edinburgh, Ireland, Edinburgh (with a Med DCL thrown in between). That led me to wonder...

Summer 2019 plans and what (if any) part of those plans are you most excited about?

DD, DM and I leave for Budapest and an ABD Danube River cruise capped off with a visit to Prague in about a month. I'm most excited about spending time with mom and DD, staying at the R-C in Budapest, returning to Prague with DD (and seeing it through her eyes) and then, once they're flying back to the States, returning to Edinburgh and my favorite rainforest room/spa experience. Points and miles allow my money to go farther and I really appreciate this hobby and the support on this thread:)

Oh I loved the Danube River cruise ABD and would love to go back to Prague. We did the Prague add on with ABD and really enjoyed it! You are all going to have such an awesome time!

I feel them same. This hobby allows us to do things we would not be doing without it. I also love this thread how everyone here is so supportive of one another. Much like WDW, this thread is one of my happy places. :grouphug:

The last 3 non Disney vacations were Chicago in April to see Hamilton the musical and Hamilton the exhibition. March was the Dubai/Maldives trip. In January we were returning from Antarctica.

Summer 2019

Next week we are off to New Orleans with Disney cruise friends using a 7 night Marriott certificate but only staying 4 nights. I'm looking forward to a Cemetery Tour and a couple of other historical and haunted walking tours. Oh, and good food!

June/July we are going back to Scotland! I love Scotland and am always excited to return. We are bringing my mom too. I'm looking forward to returning to Edinburgh, Stornoway and the Orkneys. We are also visiting some new locations this trip as well. I think I am most excited about seeing the Callanish Standing stones again and the smell of a peat fire if we do have time to visit Gearrannan Blackhouse village. I am also excited to have my mom experience these places too.

In August we are going to WDW on the opening day of SWGE. I'm excited about watching the madness and chaos that should bring popcorn:: The next day we will be on a 3 day DCL cruise with a group of our Disney cruise buddies. I'm excited about sleeping in and playing Cards Against Humanity. Also excited to see what trip we all wind up planning together next. This particular group of friends can't seem to get together without us all planning another trip with each other before the current one we are on ends. If we had a theme song it would be that one from Wreck It Ralph ...

It's been fun but now I've got to go
Life is way too short to take it slow
But before I go and hit the road

I got to know, till then, when can we do this again?
When can I see you again?
When can we do this again?
I got to know, when can I see you again?

Joined at the hip, yeah, your sidekick needs you
Life is a trip down the road that leads you
Look all around at the mountains you haven't climbed

@wendow and I believe @vanjust14 Ok, I decided to schedule my Provident mortgage via Plastiq since I have the AA Biz MC MSR I am working on. Provident typically pulls from my bank account on the 5th of the month but online it says my payment is due on the 1st. If I scheduled by payment via Plastiq to be delivered by 5/31, would I be ok? I want to make sure Provident has received it before I turn off the automated withdrawal. Thoughts?
You should be fine but in general, I have mine arrive a few days even earlier to make sure all is well in case Plastiq (or the usps) is delayed. I've never had a problem.

I turn off the auto and just keep it off now. Mine is set up the same with Provident -due on the 1st but they have always pulled it on the 5th.

Yeah, I don’t know what I was thinking. We get paid on 5/31 and I was still tying the payment to my check but gosh that doesn’t matter since I won’t actually pay it until July with my AA statement closes in June.
It took me a bit to process that as well! And even as many times as I've done this, I still can get thrown off. In fact, I paid my June mortgage a couple weeks ago b/c I wanted to meet the MSR on my latest Citi biz immediately. Then I was looking at everything needing to go out this month and I was thinking the charge was for May's payment and I started trying to hunt down why we'd be so low in our account. Well, it's cause I was factoring in TWO mortgage payments for the month lol.

Hey all :wave: I'm just back from a week-long trip to California and Colorado, visiting family in both places. CC-related info:
  • first use of my SW points and CP :banana:; spent flight from SMF to DEN looking at SW schedule scheming how to get back to my auntie's new Tahoe-area cabin this summer
  • stayed at 2 Hyatt Places, Davis for the first time (just one night, would stay there again, but the parking charge was just :confused:) and Colorado Springs on Garden of the Gods Rd (second time there bc it's convenient to family members); paid cash bc we are saving both UR and Hyatt points for Australia next year
  • stayed in Sacramento at the smallest Westin in the chain, something like 100 rooms, about 2 miles from the city center sandwiched between the river and I-5; will stay at this very nice property again bc it is very convenient to my auntie's house; our king room was HUGE (no balcony) with a claw foot tub :love:; no parking fee; did not try the restaurant though my cousins say it is excellent; also paid cash
  • one cousin's dh is a churner so we had a low-key conversation about points and cards
  • enjoyed lunch at Timberline in DEN before our flight home fully covered by PP; I tipped in cash
Catching up:

How about a fun Tuesday exercise for the greatest group on the DIS...

We often advocate for biz cards and I have my token list of “businesses” that I share - you know the list, selling on eBay, rental real estate, teaching piano, tutoring, babysitting, consulting, etc.

I know we all already have our go-to “businesses” established now, but what if our awesome group of DISchurners do this:
  • Share what your preferred business is currently for credit card apps (and/or what you’ve used often in the past)
  • Think of one other legitimate way(s) you earned some amount of money in the last year that could be considered a “business”
This could be somewhat interesting for people who are on the fence about biz cards :) I’m interested to see what creative legitimate sources of money our group has!

EDIT: repeats are ok. Original answers are awesome but don’t feel like you need a “new” answer to participate! Repeats could actually be cool to see how many of us have the same potential “business” opportunities.

My "business" is tutoring. I made serious money for several years before stopping to homeschool youngest dd who is now in college. Last year I worked with an afterschool tutoring program at the local elementary school. Unfortunately they lost funding for the current academic year. I have applied to volunteer with an adult literacy program. I may go back to prealgebra-to-AP Calculus tutoring in the fall.

My business is sewing children's clothing and baby bedding. In reality though, I hardly ever accept money as payment. I only sew for friends and family and usually I just have them pay for the cost of fabric. I make a lot of clothing as gifts, as well.

We also have a rental house and I sell a lot of my kids old clothes to a consignment store.

oh hold on..... I made a custom baby sling carrier for a friend a couple of weeks ago,and she gave me some cash along with a thank you note(I didn't ask for anything) so that means custom baby sling business!(i've given many of them away over the years)

Yay more sewers! I used to do slipcovers, window treatments, and costumes when my older kids were little. I think I did that for about 10 years. I sewed so many clothes for my kids and myself :) Back when we had next-to-no money, I cut down one of dh's worn Oxford shirts to fit then-3yo ds.

:wave: Waving hi(gh) from Colorado Springs! Great trip so far. We've had amazing weather. Beautiful blue skies. First two days were highs in 60s. Today was 80 which is hot for me but we spent most of the day traveling to/from pikes peak so not a problem.

So far we hit Florissant Fossil bed ( petrified redwood stumps), Mueller state park, Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak, AF Academy, Manitou Springs& Cliff Dwellings, Great Sand Dunes NP, Zapata Falls. Two more days to go. Only mistake (so far) was not checking altitude for Florissant and Mueller. We did those the first day not realizing it was even higher than CS. The altitude did us in.

This was my use of my Marriott 7 night cert. I had the category 1-4. Worked out very well since we don't normally spend 7 days in one spot. Colorado Springs is a good home base for all we want to do.

We visited Florissant for the first time--omg! It reminded me of Toulomne Meadows and dh of Philmont (Boy Scouts). We are planning on returning next time to do some of the longer hikes. We did that loop right by the visitors' center and the self-guided geology trail.

This trip we also hiked several Cheyenne Canon trails, visited the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (wallabies! a 2month old howler monkey! a sloth born 2 days before!), and explored the National World War II Aviation Museum in Colorado Springs (near the airport, not the Air Force Academy). The museum is not open daily, at least during the non-summer. There are free docent-led tours that start with a basic overview of the war, go through some great displays of artifacts and memorabilia, demonstrate an instrument flight trainer, and visit 2 full hangers of planes! Dh found it on TripAdvisor. It was well-worth the entrance fee and 3 hours of our day :-)

Sitting at the Denver airport. Flight was just delayed 30 minutes due to weather. The flight in was bumpy so hoping for smoother skies going home.

Ate breakfast at timberline. Great use of the priority pass. DS thought it looked expensive. No problem I said it is free!! Two breakfasts + a to go ice tea for me, all well under the limit for two people. He is now officially in awe of my travel hacking given the free week at the hotel, free car and free breakfast.

Colorado Springs was nice though probably one and done for us. The homeless situation was a little too overwhelming. Almost all the homeless we saw had mental illness issues and needed more help than just a bed and food. i just wasn't prepared to experience it in the numbers we saw.

We ate one meal in downtown Colorado Springs. I was surprised by the number of homeless. This was our fourth visit to the area in 12 years, but we have never spent that much time in the downtown area, just a lunch this time and a brunch in November.

From another forum there was a question about the last 3 non Disney vacations you took-I realized I'm not very creative-Edinburgh, Ireland, Edinburgh (with a Med DCL thrown in between). That led me to wonder...

Summer 2019 plans and what (if any) part of those plans are you most excited about?

DD, DM and I leave for Budapest and an ABD Danube River cruise capped off with a visit to Prague in about a month. I'm most excited about spending time with mom and DD, staying at the R-C in Budapest, returning to Prague with DD (and seeing it through her eyes) and then, once they're flying back to the States, returning to Edinburgh and my favorite rainforest room/spa experience. Points and miles allow my money to go farther and I really appreciate this hobby and the support on this thread:)

We have no travel plans between now and November :sad: In November we'll be in Rome for week (thanks to AA vouchers from a voluntary bump) and hopefully in December we'll visit India for 2 weeks (with friends from India), so I guess I shouldn't complain :laughing:

Our obvious big plan is Japan. We leave next Sunday and I’m so excited! (But also nervous/anxious). I’m most excited for Tokyo Disney but I bet Dh would say the food.

I’m hoping to take a universal trip sometime July-August to ride Hagrid’s coaster.

It was dh’s birthday today so we went out with his family which was a lot of fun. We went bowling and out to eat at Texas Roadhouse. It was our last chance to see his siblings before we move. Yesterday my parents had a get together at a local bar/restaurant for any family in town to come out so we got to see a lot of people there too. It’s really sad to leave everyone but I’m glad we got a last chance to say bye.

This trip we also hiked several Cheyenne Canon trails, visited the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (wallabies! a 2month old howler monkey! a sloth born 2 days before!), and explored the National World War II Aviation Museum in Colorado Springs (near the airport, not the Air Force Academy). The museum is not open daily, at least during the non-summer. There are free docent-led tours that start with a basic overview of the war, go through some great displays of artifacts and memorabilia, demonstrate an instrument flight trainer, and visit 2 full hangers of planes! Dh found it on TripAdvisor. It was well-worth the entrance fee and 3 hours of our day

We only did the Helen Hunt Falls in the Cheyenne Canon. The others looked too tough for my bad knee. Another place we went was the Cheyenne Mtn State Park. It was the best wildlife viewing of our trip, prairie dogs, mule deer, rabbits and red tail hawk. I should have researched the zoo more. The wallabies sound great and sorry I missed them. Also we did a free air museum on the Peterson AFB. Yours sounds even better.

@StephPlum and @LuckyMamaInDE We get down to CO Springs a few times a year (actually going down for a few days this next week) and I've never noticed a huge homeless problem but we never go downtown. Is that where you both noticed the problem? Sad :( I do know that CO's homeless population has increased with the ever increasing home prices and the legalization of pot. Not trying to debate the use of pot for those with medical conditions that it helps (I have a child that pot could probably help!) but imo, legalizing it has not been good for CO.

We only did the Helen Hunt Falls in the Cheyenne Canon. The others looked too tough for my bad knee. Another place we went was the Cheyenne Mtn State Park. It was the best wildlife viewing of our trip, prairie dogs, mule deer, rabbits and red tail hawk. I should have researched the zoo more. The wallabies sound great and sorry I missed them. Also we did a free air museum on the Peterson AFB. Yours sounds even better.
Ok - be honest...how many of us just had to google why a waterfall was named after the actress Helen Hunt? :scratchin :wave: (Guilty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter