I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The $450 annual fee on the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) is pretty eye popping. BUT $300 of it can be recouped with the easy to use travel credit. It resets on your anniversary. It's possible to use the credit twice, the second time right before you cancel or product change the card. If you did that, you would actually come out ahead by $150. This is not to mention that it also comes with Priority Pass (airport lounge access) and TSA/Global Entry credit if you wanted to apply for that.

Clearly I need to research this one ^ more. The travel credit... that sounds like something I would need to be ready to use within a relatively short period of time, when I already know I have a trip planned.

Not familiar with the TSA/Global Entry credit either. Presumably that would only work for me, if I were the Cardholder, but not for my husband? Unless it would work if he were an AU?

For the CSR the $450 AF sounds scary but it has a $300 travel credit that's pretty easy to use and can offset the AF with expenses you'd usually pay anyway. At that point then it's only $55 more than the CSP and CIP AF's but you get the better redemption rates, GE or TSA PreCheck credit (just 1 every 4 years), and better travel insurance protections. If any of those things could be useful then it's a good card to pick up as it should justify the $150 price tag then. (It also comes with the Priority Pass lounge access and some status benefits but I don't put a price on those - for me it's not something I'd pay for anyway, others are different) But I would wait until you have some better ideas of using it before deciding. For us it made sense as I use the $300 travel credit on our monthly toll charges. We'd be paying that money anyway so what's the diff if I pay it to EZPass or pay it to Chase first and then get reimbursed? Anything that codes as Travel will get reimbursed unlike the AmEx credits which are for specific charges, and for most, if not all cards, are related to airline charges.

Yup definitely need to research this more. Still so many foreign terms and phrases! Maybe because I rarely travel by plane... and why don't I travel by plane? Because it's too expensive! But this... this whole thing is a game changer!

I do just like @miztressuz does, search out the cruise I want on the individual cruise line website, (usually NCL for me) book the exact cruise I want using a "CruiseNext" certificate as a deposit and then a week or two later call Chases Vacation and Cruise dept. and have the booking transferred to Chase. There are restrictions on how soon this needs to be done, check with your cruise line. During the call with Chase they will require full payment. If you don't have enough UR's they will ask for a Chase credit card for the remaining balance.

Oooh very interested in cruises too! Off to go research "CruiseNext"

Can you get him to just set up the autopay and check the pay statement balance? That is the first thing I do when I/DH get a new card.

You can be a AU/Employee with his business cards but then you still need to manage payment through his login and page.

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. I don't even autopay my own stuff but that stems from an inherent dislike of giving my bank info to payees!

Finally uploading pics to my amazon photo storage. I had no idea I had so much saved on my phone. Most was already backed up on an external hard drive and that's also going up into the amazon cloud. Guess I should finally go through and delete some of my pictures leaving only the "important" vacay pics on there. My phone is mostly Dude and Disney.

If you just want to cash it out, then it doesn't need to be just travel. You can just cash out whatever you want. This makes it a better card than the travel eraser cards, in my opinion. However, you can use the travel portal and use less points to book it outright. For the CIP, if the cost is $1000 for a flight then you can book through the portal and only use 80,000 points. So you just need to find it on the Chase travel portal in order to book it with reduced points. However, Disney hotels are not on the portal at this time.

This confirms what I thought, but was hoping I misunderstood. I was hoping to use for travel but didn't want to be limited. Thank you so much for the reply.

Returned late Saturday evening from our 8 night stay at the Poly. I'm always sad to end a WDW trip, but this one was worse than usual. We loved our first experience there so much and I can't wait to go back!!

Yesterday DH realized we are close to paying off my car, so we're going to go ahead and use money from a savings account to just get it paid off a little early. Yay for no car note!! Naturally I start brainstorming ways to make this payment pay off for us. :scratchin I immediately think, I'll just refer DH for a CIP and Plastiq for payment! I quickly messaged DH to explain that we have a good reason for him to get another card and can already see the URs rolling in.....then I came here to catch up on missed posts. As I'm skimming posts here and on the news thread on dischurners I see PLASTIQ 3x UR ON CIP MAY BE DEAD. o_O How in the world did I miss this earlier this month? I suppose that's what I get for skimming posts over the last several weeks. I'd been so caught up in our upcoming trip I obviously haven't paid enough attention.

Not familiar with the TSA/Global Entry credit either. Presumably that would only work for me, if I were the Cardholder, but not for my husband? Unless it would work if he were an AU?
You can use it for whoever you want, it doesn't matter. You just have to pay with the card.
I ended up using my CSR credit to get DH GE, and then used another of his cards to do mine :)

The cutoff date for transferring is dependent on the cruise line. With NCL it is 30 days to transfer to another agency. I don't know about other cruise lines. You would need to check with whatever line you will be booking to see what their policy is.

I have never booked a cruise far enough out to be too bothered by the PIF. I usually book about 6 months out, and transfer to Chase 15-20 days later. That leaves ~5 months till cruise and NCL requires PIF at 120 days, so I am paying 4-6 weeks early for the convenience of using my UR's.

I booked my upcoming cruise 05/16/19 with NCL. I will be transferring to Chase around the 6th of this month and PIF for NCL is 6/29/19 for a cruise date of 10/27/19, so only paying three weeks early.

The remaining balance on my cruise is ~$3392 so I will need approx 226,200 ur's with my CSR to make the full payment.
This sounds great! I definitely want to look into using UR’s for cruising.

This sounds great! I definitely want to look into using UR’s for cruising.

a friend of mine also uses his UR exclusively for cruises... but i could of sworn i heard a rumor that chase will only let u book up to 2019... im not 100% sure if this is correct or not.

Clearly I need to research this one ^ more. The travel credit... that sounds like something I would need to be ready to use within a relatively short period of time, when I already know I have a trip planned.

Personally I would agree with waiting until you have a redemption in mind. While the fee is justifiable, it's still expensive so you don't want to pay it until you're ready to use all the benefits you want out of it. I don't recall if you discussed this with @Lain but there's also a one Sapphire rule where technically you're not supposed to be approved for two Sapphire cards at the same time. So I also wouldn't pick up the CSP either until you have your redemption in mind and decide how you want to play those applications. It sounds like it's still early yet so I don't know if you want all the details right now, but when you're ready look at the MDD thread in DISchurners to go over the trick to getting both cards at the same time. And if you decide you only want to do one, we all can have a discussion on which is the best move if you want.

The GE /TSA PreCheck credit works for anyone, you could pay for your neighbor or the random guy next to you, if you really wanted to. You pay the fee with your card, when the system sees it, it automatically issues the statement credit - that's it. For Global Entry it's easy to pay for anyone because it's an application fee that's charged when you put your application through the website. TSA PreCheck isn't paid until you go through your onsite interview, so that's a little less easy to use for someone else, but presumably you'd be paying for yourself or family so it could be worked out.

It's only good once every 4 years, and only good for GE or TSA Precheck, just something to keep in mind.

Oooh very interested in cruises too! Off to go research "CruiseNext"

CruiseNext is a prepaid deposit program from Norwegian Cruise Line. You buy a $250 deposit certificate for your next cruise while onboard your current cruise (to be used within 4 years), it gets charged to your onboard account and they'll give you a $100 onboard credit. Essentially you're getting $100 off your next cruise. They also have other onboard booking incentives in the program but I forget what they are as we're never ready to book the next cruise while on the current one.

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. I don't even autopay my own stuff but that stems from an inherent dislike of giving my bank info to payees!

Do you send them a check? They have all the same info from your check as you enter into the payment portal. I'm not a auto pay person myself, but I do all online bill pay when I can. It's rare that a glitch can happen, but just in case that's also why I don't keep all my money in one account. For me the convenience outweighs the risk on this one.

You can use it for whoever you want, it doesn't matter. You just have to pay with the card.
I ended up using my CSR credit to get DH GE, and then used another of his cards to do mine :)

Ok, but just one credit per account, correct? (I'm just starting to read up on it now, since I rarely travel by air). So if I had a card that offered a Global Entry credit as part of its perks, that is only enough for one person. There would have to be some other card that also had a Global Entry credit for both of us to go together?

a friend of mine also uses his UR exclusively for cruises... but i could of sworn i heard a rumor that chase will only let u book up to 2019... im not 100% sure if this is correct or not.
I’m new in the game, so I’m not ready to book yet anyways. I am working on getting a CP for SW, so I will have to wait a bit before applying for other cards to earn URs. Going to have my DH apply for chase cards to start earning UR’s soon. I have been reading a lot and digesting the information before he starts applying.

4/29/19 - @LynnTH called Chase's Cruise & Tours Department and learned that you can using Ultimate Rewards points to book cruises into 2020 (previous reports said Chase was not allowing cruise bookings after 2019).

Ok, but just one credit per account, correct? (I'm just starting to read up on it now, since I rarely travel by air). So if I had a card that offered a Global Entry credit as part of its perks, that is only enough for one person. There would have to be some other card that also had a Global Entry credit for both of us to go together?

Yes one global entry or preTSA per card.....I don’t remember every how many years....

Personally I would agree with waiting until you have a redemption in mind. While the fee is justifiable, it's still expensive so you don't want to pay it until you're ready to use all the benefits you want out of it. I don't recall if you discussed this with @Lain but there's also a one Sapphire rule where technically you're not supposed to be approved for two Sapphire cards at the same time. So I also wouldn't pick up the CSP either until you have your redemption in mind and decide how you want to play those applications. It sounds like it's still early yet so I don't know if you want all the details right now, but when you're ready look at the MDD thread in DISchurners to go over the trick to getting both cards at the same time. And if you decide you only want to do one, we all can have a discussion on which is the best move if you want.
Thank you...Ok,, no I don't recall reading/hearing that before (about not having two Sapphire cards at the same time)but then it's been a bit of information overload. I will wait on ANY Sapphire card, period, for the time being so I don't get in over my head and potentially miss out on any SUBs
The GE /TSA PreCheck credit works for anyone, you could pay for your neighbor or the random guy next to you, if you really wanted to. You pay the fee with your card, when the system sees it, it automatically issues the statement credit - that's it. For Global Entry it's easy to pay for anyone because it's an application fee that's charged when you put your application through the website. TSA PreCheck isn't paid until you go through your onsite interview, so that's a little less easy to use for someone else, but presumably you'd be paying for yourself or family so it could be worked out.

It's only good once every 4 years, and only good for GE or TSA Precheck, just something to keep in mind.
Ok I see. And yes I did see once every four years. Is that one leg of a trip every four years, or the period of time for which it's "good" is for 4 years? Is it like a membership or annual subscription? So much information.... Obviously for me I'd be most interested in Global Entry if I am going to Japan (not that customs was awful, but it certainly was a bit confusing!).

Would you say that Global Entry is more "all inclusive" and TSA Precheck is a component of Global Entry?
CruiseNext is a prepaid deposit program from Norwegian Cruise Line. You buy a $250 deposit certificate for your next cruise while onboard your current cruise (to be used within 4 years), it gets charged to your onboard account and they'll give you a $100 onboard credit. Essentially you're getting $100 off your next cruise. They also have other onboard booking incentives in the program but I forget what they are as we're never ready to book the next cruise while on the current one.
Ah, specific to Norwegian, OK thank you. I cannot say for sure but it looks like Princess is going to a favorite of ours. I do have 2 future cruise credits with Princess that I bought on our cruise in March. Wonder if there is a way to use those with points somewhere. Ahhh, so many options to process!
Do you send them a check? They have all the same info from your check as you enter into the payment portal. I'm not a auto pay person myself, but I do all online bill pay when I can. It's rare that a glitch can happen, but just in case that's also why I don't keep all my money in one account. For me the convenience outweighs the risk on this one.
I use bill pay through my credit union. Never thought about it that way!

Just went to the US Customs website to look up Global Entry and it doesn't appear that any of the airports in Japan have it, so it would not help on the outbound but coming back to the states to LAX would be potentially useful. Half is better than none, right?

Just went to the US Customs website to look up Global Entry and it doesn't appear that any of the airports in Japan have it, so it would not help on the outbound but coming back to the states to LAX would be potentially useful. Half is better than none, right?

Global Entry is always US side only. You can take advantage of TSA Pre as you go to Japan.
Now Japan also has their own Global Entry. I think having Global Entry will get u a fastrack on their program, im not sure whats involved. here is a link --> http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/ttp2/en/outline/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter