I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure about that? You should only need the 4 nights worth. That doesn't make sense. I can't test it for you because we always have about a million HH points from DH's travel. Did you log on and try to book?

I asked two different reps on chat last night, because it seems absurd to me, and they both said I needed 5 nights of points to book the 4 night/5 night free offer. We're newer to HH so we only have 20,000 points, so I was trying to see if the cards would be worth it with the points I got. If we could get the 150,000 and 90,000 HH promo cards then it would, but I'm not sure if we can get two at a time.

I think @disneymagicgirl is right, you should only need 4 nights’ worth of points to book 5 nights. I have done this twice in the last 8 months or so and only needed the 4.
I'll need to try talking to another rep then, I talked to two later last night and I couldn't believe they both told me the same thing about needing 5 nights worth of points.

Is it also true that I can't book 3 nights of reward nights, pay for the 4th at the same location and get the 5th free? Is the 4 night/5 night free offer only with reward points?

Okay I have some cruise questions:

Are the Florida rates refundable?
Do we owe it all up front or is it a deposit?
Can we pay for the rest later with a gift card?
Should we go through a TA for onboard credit?
It depends on how far out you're booking. If it's less then 3- 4 months away you will have to pay in full. After the Pay in full date there are penalty's to cancel. Generally, up until about 55 days before sail date you would only lose the deposit. After that, the penalty's become more severe. Yes, you can pay with gift cards and the extra OBC is nice. I rarely use a TA I'm a bit of a control freak.

It depends on how far out you're booking. If it's less then 3- 4 months away you will have to pay in full. After the Pay in full date there are penalty's to cancel. Generally, up until about 55 days before sail date you would only lose the deposit. After that, the penalty's become more severe. Yes, you can pay with gift cards and the extra OBC is nice. I rarely use a TA I'm a bit of a control freak.
So I’m guessing since the cruise is nov 2 it would be paid in full and non-refundable.

I’d rather book it myself to be honest. Can you only get the OBC through a TA?

If we use a cc, will it track as travel?

Looking for advice on traveling to Hawaii. I have family in Sacramento area, so we would like to fly there first for a few days and then go to Maui for a week. Hubby has never flown that far and this is my idea to break up the trip plus visit family too. The airport we usually fly out of is Albany, NY. I searched a bit just to get ideas and saw Hawaiian airline pop up and when I checked flights it was about $1100 round trip for two from Sacramento, but there was also a pop up saying I could apply for a Hawaiian airline credit and and get 60,000 miles and 50% off a companion ticket. I was going to try and book with SW because I already have CP with them. We also have some URs 80,000 and both of us have 70,000 each from AA cards. Any suggestions?
Sac just opened the WN HI routes so that’s how I’d do it with your CP. Also free bags! TBH I’d book it now if you see a price you like.

$1100 R/T Smurf-HI for 2 people seems rather high but I’m not familiar with HI prices from there. @Lain I know that’s not exactly your neck of the woods either but does that seem high?

$1100 R/T SMF-OGG does seem high, like high season high. (Is that per person, or total for 2 people?)

Is it just for 2 passengers?

What time of year are you planning to travel?

Are you flexible with mid-week dates?

SW is now an option.

Are you under- or over- 5/24?

My initial gut feeling is to not recommend the HawaiianMiles card.

I'll chime in with more thoughts if you can provide more info.

Last edited:
Anyone eaten at Chefs de France? I needed one more table service meal for our dining plan and my BIL requested that. Menu looks good.

I've eaten there many times as my youngest is a carnivore and when we've done a night or two of dining plan, we both do either the flatbread or rustic pate for an appetizer (or both - one each) the filet with green beans and Lyonnaise potatoes and the apple tarte for dessert. I always order a glass of wine and she does a lemonade or sparkling water. It's a no fail, same choices every time and I'm talking maybe 20 times, lol. Could be because we are usually on the Boardwalk/at Beach Club Villas and it used to be one of the 'you can get it the day of' or even walk in reservations. Sometimes we have had the deluxe plan and stretch it over 2 nights. Now, I would try to make an ADR as WDW is just so busy.

I've also had lunch and have done French onion soup, lobster bisque, croque, pasta, flatbreads, and haven't had a fail yet, although the steak is not always the highest quality, it's adequate.

And, I hope the next time we go no one recognizes me as when I went with oldest grand daughter she developed an unexpected trick. We were sitting at the round table in the alcove 5 or 6 of us and everything was going fine. Next thing I knew she had grabbed a side plate and hurled it to the floor. I don't mean accidentally dropped - she hurled it. Caught us all by surprise and it made a loud clatter as it shattered. She did this again at another restaurant but has seemed to grow out of the desire to pretend she is attending a Greek wedding.

The staff are fairly reserved but usually happy if you are friendly. They cleaned up the mess and actually were about to give grand daughter another plate. I caught it just in time.

I've eaten there many times as my youngest is a carnivore and when we've done a night or two of dining plan, we both do either the flatbread or rustic pate for an appetizer (or both - one each) the filet with green beans and Lyonnaise potatoes and the apple tarte for dessert. I always order a glass of wine and she does a lemonade or sparkling water. It's a no fail, same choices every time and I'm talking maybe 20 times, lol. Could be because we are usually on the Boardwalk/at Beach Club Villas and it used to be one of the 'you can get it the day of' or even walk in reservations. Sometimes we have had the deluxe plan and stretch it over 2 nights. Now, I would try to make an ADR as WDW is just so busy.

I've also had lunch and have done French onion soup, lobster bisque, croque, pasta, flatbreads, and haven't had a fail yet, although the steak is not always the highest quality, it's adequate.

And, I hope the next time we go no one recognizes me as when I went with oldest grand daughter she developed an unexpected trick. We were sitting at the round table in the alcove 5 or 6 of us and everything was going fine. Next thing I knew she had grabbed a side plate and hurled it to the floor. I don't mean accidentally dropped - she hurled it. Caught us all by surprise and it made a loud clatter as it shattered. She did this again at another restaurant but has seemed to grow out of the desire to pretend she is attending a Greek wedding.

The staff are fairly reserved but usually happy if you are friendly. They cleaned up the mess and actually were about to give grand daughter another plate. I caught it just in time.

Thanks! Yeah, I found a reservation for our last night there for a decent time. It sounds like it's pretty good and I see several options on the menu that should work for everybody, so I'm looking forward to trying it!

Ah okay I didn’t know the western went to Mexico. I wouldn’t like that either. We were looking at 4 night cruises to the Bahamas but none of them have FL rates right now for November.
The Western goes to Cozumel which is my favorite Caribbean port. Very safe. We just did a Mexican Rivera cruise loved that too. If safety is your main concern why are considering Nassau? Jamaica is the only port I don't feel safe to venture out on my own. I've always preferred the Western over the Eastern. There is just more to do. There are great excursions in Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I would look at what you want to do and then decide. If you have any questions ask away. I've been on just about every itinerary DCL offers.

The Western goes to Cozumel which is my favorite Caribbean port. Very safe. We just did a Mexican Rivera cruise loved that too. If safety is your main concern why are considering Nassau? Jamaica is the only port I don't feel safe to venture out on my own. I've always preferred the Western over the Eastern. There is just more to do. There are great excursions in Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I would look at what you want to do and then decide. If you have any questions ask away. I've been on just about every itinerary DCL offers.
I’m mainly going based off of the FLR and the 7 night eastern Caribbean is the only one in November that’s available. It looks very pretty so I’m considering it. Dh and I just need to figure out how we plan to pay for it then make a decision.

Can we split the cost between a gc and cc?

So I’m guessing since the cruise is nov 2 it would be paid in full and non-refundable.

I’d rather book it myself to be honest. Can you only get the OBC through a TA?

If we use a cc, will it track as travel?
Yes, it tracks as travel. OBC is the only perk of booking through a TA. Costco gives the highest return 8 percent of cruise fare back in the form of a Costco cash card. I'm not sure if they would book a Florida res rate or not. That is something you'd have to ask them.

I’m mainly going based off of the FLR and the 7 night eastern Caribbean is the only one in November that’s available. It looks very pretty so I’m considering it. Dh and I just need to figure out how we plan to pay for it then make a decision.

Can we split the cost between a gc and cc?
No problem splitting the cost between GC and CC. I know you can use multiple forms of payment online. Since it's after Pay in full dateI don't know if the website will give you that option. You may have to call.

No problem splitting the cost between GC and CC. I know you can use multiple forms of payment online. Since it's after Pay in full dateI don't know if the website will give you that option. You may have to call.
Okay thanks for your help. I was wondering if I should pay for part of it with dh’s CSR. His travel credit likely won’t reset until Thursday though and I kind of want to book the cruise today. I’m worried the offer might go away quickly. What do you think

Okay thanks for your help. I was wondering if I should pay for part of it with dh’s CSR. His travel credit likely won’t reset until Thursday though and I kind of want to book the cruise today. I’m worried the offer might go away quickly. What do you think
Normally DCL lets you put a three-day hold on a cruise. Since your after the PIF date I believe they will only let you hold for 24 hours and you need to call to do that. It's a nice option if you want to get it booked today and sleep on it overnight. I believe you will have until 11pm tomorrow to pay it off. That is what they have always done for me when a great discount has popped up and I needed to discuss it with family and mull it over for a day. I would call and discuss your options with them. They are generally more knowledgable than the CM's at WDW.

Normally DCL lets you put a three-day hold on a cruise. Since your after the PIF date I believe they will only let you hold for 24 hours and you need to call to do that. It's a nice option if you want to get it booked today and sleep on it overnight. I believe you will have until 11pm tomorrow to pay it off. That is what they have always done for me when a great discount has popped up and I needed to discuss it with family and mull it over for a day. I would call and discuss your options with them. They are generally more knowledgable than the CM's at WDW.
When I looked on my phone it was actually showing the option to put a hold on it. I think I’m gonna go ahead and do that while Dh and I talk things over. He seems very onboard with it and said he could work extra hours the week before to help with the PTO so he would only have to technically take 2 days of PTO

I'll need to try talking to another rep then, I talked to two later last night and I couldn't believe they both told me the same thing about needing 5 nights worth of points.

Is it also true that I can't book 3 nights of reward nights, pay for the 4th at the same location and get the 5th free? Is the 4 night/5 night free offer only with reward points?

They must have hired IHG reps. IHG is goofy like that, but Hilton isn't. I just did a dummy booking for 5 nights on points and it shows the correct number of points needed and let's me "Continue". I picked rates that would make 5 nights worth of points more than my points balance and it doesn't seem to have any limitations.

It is true that you can't mix reward nights and cash nights to get the 5th night free. From the T&C "Applies to Standard Room Reward stays only, not to paid stays or Points & Money Rewards™." So no points+cash either, all nights have to be on points.

I want all hot, hot, hot! How ya feeling? Hot, hot, hot! No cold, no cool, no chilly. Just HOT!

Me too! We've been at or below avg since I got home so I've been cold. We haven't had a hot summer and I don't like it. Making me want to move for warmer weather.

You're going to at least have gratuities to pay for and potentially excursions, you'll be able to use that 300 unless you're trying to downgrade soon. But then just do an excursion.

Me too! We've been at or below avg since I got home so I've been cold. We haven't had a hot summer and I don't like it. Making me want to move for warmer weather.

You're going to at least have gratuities to pay for and potentially excursions, you'll be able to use that 300 unless you're trying to downgrade soon. But then just do an excursion.
We are going to PC right after using the travel credit. I think we're just gonna book a refundable room at Disney. That seems to be the easiest thing to do since I won't know what excursions we'll want right away.

Someone please remind me...Amex rules for buying gc? I'm still doing MSR on a hilton, can I buy gc at the grocery store to hit it,or is that a thing of the past? like a m/c gc? and add other things to order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter