I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm about to apply for the Amex everyday card to transfer my balance off of a card that has it's 0% expiring this month. Should I drop my balances before I apply? My SPG Biz has a line of like $18k. My Delta Gold is $5k, my Aspire is $5k and my Ascend is $5k.

Also those that do MO, can I use an amex GC to buy MO's? I got a $1000 one from delta and I'd love to get the money from it to pay off bills vs losing $30 running it through Venmo to be able to cash out. My name is on the card if that helps.

Another AMEX Shower thought...(perhaps this becomes a series)...
I've been keeping this one to myself because I wasn't sure how I felt it about it for awhile...

So AMEX doesn't like me or my wife now...What if I just continually self referred myself to the BBP...

It has no AF...so I open the card using my wife's referral. She gets the referral bonus, I get nothing...then we cancel her BBP wait a month or 2 and I refer her from my BBP. We rinse and repeat this a few times throughout the year earning 10k MRs everytime we do it.

I'm not saying we actually will do this because I have a feeling it could put all of our MRs at risk. For me that doesn't much matter, I have 45k and could cash out in gift cards at any moment. For my wife with 200k MRs, I'd probably rather get them redeemed somehow before doing that.

Assuming AMEX would keep approving me (while I ignore the stupid popup)...I could probably earn 60k-80k MRs without spending anything!!

I love this! And yeah, it sounds like there should be a "shower series" set of posts. :)

HBD is one of my fave places to eat. Last trip, DD19 and I were alone. We discovered we could walk up to the outdoor area and eat with no wait. We ordered 2 items (1 was the chopped salad, my fave) and shared them. Perfect lunch spot!

My family loves HBD, too. Started eating lunch there on our second trip, way way back in 1999. We split our DHS dining between there and SciFi (for the atmosphere - HBD has better food).

So Celebrity Cruises is doing a $25 deposit sale (fully refundable). I've been obsessing over itineraries for early 2021.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a 13 day South Pacific cruise but I just don't think I can do the flight. It goes out of Auckland, New Zealand. I get panicky thinking about being cooped up that long. DH got the same way when I mentioned it. Ugh.

Ahh. I've been looking at those cruises for a few months now, ever since my cousin (in Sydney) told us she was taking a Celeb. NZ one RT from Sydney and asked us to join. Sadly we can't (an expensive trip is just not in the cards for 2019 after what we did in 2018), but I do think we might eventually take one in the future. As for the flight, yeah it's long, and I won't do it in economy. It would be bearable in Business or First. Europe is around 12-13 hours for us, and I can deal with it if I can lie flat. I went to both Australia and NZ back when I was in college - it was a long flight and my family was in coach, but I think the coach premium seats of today and not as spacious as the coach seats from a while back. Fabulous place to visit! And a good way to use up some MRs!

But it sounds so awesome! Would breaking up the flight in Hawaii be an option?

I was going to suggest this, too. You can stop in Hawaii, Tahiti, or even Hong Kong from what I can tell (although that doesn't break it up all that much). Something to consider.

Were you able to actually add your child to the account? All of our local options basically peanuts so I maybe I can just earmark DH’s Discover as DS’s account and move sufficient funds to make him whole and take his cash and put in our CU account.
I didn't do that, no. I just marked it in my spreadsheet as the kid's savings. But, it is possible I could rename it on the website to keep it straight.

So the kids have decided they want Cali or Florida for Spring Break this year. Last year VERY last minute I snagged a split flight to Miami (Frontier down, AA back) for like $120/ea. So we flew into Miami. Hit the beaches on the way up to Orlando. Used my SPG to stay at Vistana Resort Villas. They loved it. We went to Universal Studio Walk and then Blizzard Beach avoiding all the the Disney crowds madness. So now I've got to look and see which I can pull off better. I have AA miles, and AA vouchers. I have Delta miles and $300 in Delta GCs. I have the $250 credit to use from the Aspire for 2019 too. So I think I should be able to pull off the flights, I have 170k in URs too. So then it's trying to find a place to stay. I'm about to have 300k in Hilton, and 2 free nights.

Our spring break is the first week in April, so not Easter this year. How bad is Disney then? I know it's still "Spring Break time" in general, so I'm going to guess I just want to avoid it.
What about DL? Weren't they doing that special on the tickets through may? There are hiltons within walking distance.

I’m trying to book Marriott hotels for our Hawaii over Christmas, we will be using the 4 (35k) certificates, but I’m finding out that all the hotels charge an additional person fee, the Westin wants $150 per night + $30 resort fee! What the heck! Is this normal?!
omgosh. $150 per night for an additional adult? That can't be right.

So I'm about to apply for the Amex everyday card to transfer my balance off of a card that has it's 0% expiring this month. Should I drop my balances before I apply? My SPG Biz has a line of like $18k. My Delta Gold is $5k, my Aspire is $5k and my Ascend is $5k.

Also those that do MO, can I use an amex GC to buy MO's? I got a $1000 one from delta and I'd love to get the money from it to pay off bills vs losing $30 running it through Venmo to be able to cash out. My name is on the card if that helps.

I believe amex will pull CL from another card themselves if they deem it necessary.

I know the GC to MO with the name on it is supposed to be good, but not sure if amex is ok. Paging @speedyfishy and @Albort

AMEX CHURNING SHOWER THOUGHT...
If I were starting out with AMEX today and wanted to keep a good long term relationship with them...my first two cards would be either a BCE (Blue Cash Everyday) or BCP (Blue Cash Preferred) AND a BBP (Blue Business Plus).
  • The BCE or BCP would earn 3% or 6% on groceries and have ongoing usefulness. BCP has an AF of $95 so I'd only get that one if you planned to keep it and pay the AF long-term. Both have a decent Bonus ($200 or $250 for $1,000 spend)
  • The BBP would start earning MRs at 2x per $. It's also a great card to keep MRs active long term. If has no AF and a decent bonus of 10k MRs.
This would start you off with a good relationship with AMEX and these are cards that have legitimate use for ongoing spend.

The other thing is any one of these cards would enable you to self refer or refer a spouse to ANY other AMEX card.

Just some food for thought...interested to see if others would agree or disagree. This is kind of piggybacking off of @Lain's thoughts earlier this week that it is now hard to recommend people to go for AMEX cards.
Thanks, this is great information for someone like me. I'm still going through Chase, but with 4 cards for me in the past 7 months I was thinking of taking a break from Chase for my next card next month. I know that I don't want to keep too many cards with AF so I was really wondering if I even wanted to start with Amex. But I think these suggestions make sense.

I’m trying to book Marriott hotels for our Hawaii over Christmas, we will be using the 4 (35k) certificates, but I’m finding out that all the hotels charge an additional person fee, the Westin wants $150 per night + $30 resort fee! What the heck! Is this normal?!

How many people are you trying to book for, and are the 2+ persons child(ren)?

I had this same issue last week trying to book our next Christmas visit to Hawaii. All the Starriott hotels in Waikiki were charging an extra person fee for reservations of 2+, even when I tried using the desktop site to book 2 adults and 1 child, when we did not have to pay an extra person fee during our stay just last month. I called the reservations desk at the Royal Hawaiian, and they said its a glitch on the website and it shouldn't be charging an extra person fee for children, as long as the room occupancy fits. They advised me to make a reservation for only 2 adults on the website, then add the child(ren) at check-in or over the phone at a later date.

Marriott IT for you.

Last edited:
Is BBP 10k bonus only a support link? Not seeing it publicly. I’d be willing to apply for that post-pop up to see if I still get the bonus...

So, my DH only has one Amex (SPG biz) and silly me thought that since he only had one, and it wasn't that old, that they wouldn't give him a pop up based on his "irregular" spending. Well, they did! But we really needed him to apply for the BBP anyway due to our business need for the 0% interest for a little bit. So I went ahead and applied (he was approved), with my referral. I will let you know if he or I happen to get the bonus but I am assuming that we will not.

So, my DH only has one Amex (SPG biz) and silly me thought that since he only had one, and it wasn't that old, that they wouldn't give him a pop up based on his "irregular" spending. Well, they did! But we really needed him to apply for the BBP anyway due to our business need for the 0% interest for a little bit. So I went ahead and applied (he was approved), with my referral. I will let you know if he or I happen to get the bonus but I am assuming that we will not.
what is his spending like on the spg biz?

Newbie question... will ebay send any tax info for my sales?

I’ve never received anything from eBay....but PayPal will send you a 1099 misc if you sell more than $20,000

Oh we're good then lol

PayPal will issue a 1099-K only if you meet BOTH of the following:
  • $20,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year
  • 200 payments for goods or services in the same year

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter