I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a $50 Disney gc on 1/14 and it shipped today. I got the notice from rmn yesterday that my $15 was pending. I used my CF since that card had the 30% staples offer. Nothing on the chase offer yet but what’s weird is that the staples charge isn’t even pending yet on my CF. Since the item has actually shipped, shouldn’t the payment be processed by now?!? Did anyone else have a delay like this for your staples purchase?

I even went back into the order to confirm I used that card :confused3

YES! Had it happen on all 3 chase cards. Posting this before it gets lost as I try to semi keep up by scanning this thread.

Plus already on page 30 and since happened at same time as Disney trip this is my first post. :(

So I'm about to apply for the Amex everyday card to transfer my balance off of a card that has it's 0% expiring this month. Should I drop my balances before I apply? My SPG Biz has a line of like $18k. My Delta Gold is $5k, my Aspire is $5k and my Ascend is $5k.

Also those that do MO, can I use an amex GC to buy MO's? I got a $1000 one from delta and I'd love to get the money from it to pay off bills vs losing $30 running it through Venmo to be able to cash out. My name is on the card if that helps.

Those Amex GC don’t have a pin so they can’t be used to buy an MO.

Thanks, this is great information for someone like me. I'm still going through Chase, but with 4 cards for me in the past 7 months I was thinking of taking a break from Chase for my next card next month. I know that I don't want to keep too many cards with AF so I was really wondering if I even wanted to start with Amex. But I think these suggestions make sense.
If you have a viable use for MRs - The BBP has no affect on 5/24 status which makes it a real gem. BCE and BCP are tough to justify since they hit 5/24 unless you can really hammer the grocery bonus category.

YES! Had it happen on all 3 chase cards. Posting this before it gets lost as I try to semi keep up by scanning this thread.

Plus already on page 30 and since happened at same time as Disney trip this is my first post. :(
Did the charge ever show up?? I actually got the GC today and immediately checked my CC. Still nothing even pending. I cannot imagine they would not at least put a $1.00 pending hold before actually shipping the GC.

what is his spending like on the spg biz?

Opened in Aug 2018. $5000, $0, $40, $1500, $0

I know, exactly what we should NOT be doing with Amex. My intention was to get back on a regular spending cycle with this card for at least six months before applying for any more Amex for him. However, we had unexpected expenses pop up that we really needed a 0% interest cc for (first time we have ever opened a cc for this purpose). It is not ideal, but it is what it is and the BBP will still serve the purpose it was intended for, just without any bonuses. (Although I am looking forward to seeing what is actually awarded, and will let you know, maybe we will be a positive DP!)

Opened in Aug 2018. $5000, $0, $40, $1500, $0

I know, exactly what we should NOT be doing with Amex. My intention was to get back on a regular spending cycle with this card for at least six months before applying for any more Amex for him. However, we had unexpected expenses pop up that we really needed a 0% interest cc for (first time we have ever opened a cc for this purpose). It is not ideal, but it is what it is and the BBP will still serve the purpose it was intended for, just without any bonuses. (Although I am looking forward to seeing what is actually awarded, and will let you know, maybe we will be a positive DP!)

That is interesting. I guess they want to see spending every month. I tend to have a couple hundred each month on each card and knock on wood, no pop up yet.

So, my DH only has one Amex (SPG biz) and silly me thought that since he only had one, and it wasn't that old, that they wouldn't give him a pop up based on his "irregular" spending. Well, they did! But we really needed him to apply for the BBP anyway due to our business need for the 0% interest for a little bit. So I went ahead and applied (he was approved), with my referral. I will let you know if he or I happen to get the bonus but I am assuming that we will not.

I suspect that not having had a card with AmEx for a long time is a liability that might contribute to the pop-up. I have had a Delta Gold for 12 years (and have used it sporadically) and in the past 2 years I have gotten a bunch of other AmEx cards, some of which I have put little to no spend on after meeting MSR, yet AmEx keeps giving me cards (and sign-up bonuses). I have cancelled two cards (one last summer and one just a few weeks ago), so I might be heading into pop-up territory, but I do think that having held an AmEx card for a long time has helped me so far.

I suspect that not having had a card with AmEx for a long time is a liability that might contribute to the pop-up. I have had a Delta Gold for 12 years (and have used it sporadically) and in the past 2 years I have gotten a bunch of other AmEx cards, some of which I have put little to no spend on after meeting MSR, yet AmEx keeps giving me cards (and sign-up bonuses). I have cancelled two cards (one last summer and one just a few weeks ago), so I might be heading into pop-up territory, but I do think that having held an AmEx card for a long time has helped me so far.
There was a tale recently of somebody on r/churning that I believe was a 15 yr customer or something like that and recently got a pop up so unfortunately that may not keep you safe. I’ll try to find it.

EDIT: Actually it was a customer for a decade, has paid AFs on cards throughout that time period. Was denied a bonus (with no pop up warning) on Schwab Plat...wow, These denials with no pop up to me are way more frustrating than seeing the pop up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c...ion_thread_january_16_2019/ee7czu3/?context=3

Last edited:
There was a tale recently of somebody on r/churning that I believe was a 15 yr customer or something like that and recently got a pop up so unfortunately that may not keep you safe. I’ll try to find it.

That would be an interesting data point.

I don't think that being a long-term customer is going to protect me from the pop-up indefinitely -- I'm kind of surprised that AmEx is still giving me cards and I expect to see the pop-up probably sooner rather than later. On the other hand, I do have cards that I have not consistently put spend on post-MSR, so I do think that history is a factor in AmEx's algorithm.

That would be an interesting data point.

I don't think that being a long-term customer is going to protect me from the pop-up indefinitely -- I'm kind of surprised that AmEx is still giving me cards and I expect to see the pop-up probably sooner rather than later. On the other hand, I do have cards that I have not consistently put spend on post-MSR, so I do think that history is a factor in AmEx's algorithm.
Did you see my edit from a few minutes ago...I see it’s missing from your quote, I clarified after I found it.

@SouthFayetteFan Random thought with all this Amex chatter... would RAT be a good definition for the sticky on pg 1? It took me some time to realize it meant "Rewards Abuse Team" when I first started reading back in August.

I have to admit... CSR still gets me in different threads or other places online. IDK if I am reading about a customer service rep, Coronado Springs resort, or the Chase Sapphire Reserve :rotfl:

How many people are you trying to book for, and are the 2+ persons child(ren)?

I had this same issue last week trying to book our next Christmas visit to Hawaii. All the Starriott hotels in Waikiki were charging an extra person fee for reservations of 2+, even when I tried using the desktop site to book 2 adults and 1 child, when we did not have to pay an extra person fee during our stay just last month. I called the reservations desk at the Royal Hawaiian, and they said its a glitch on the website and it shouldn't be charging an extra person fee for children, as long as the room occupancy fits. They advised me to make a reservation for only 2 adults on the website, then add the child(ren) at check-in or over the phone at a later date.

Marriott IT for you.
Omg!! This is exactly what I’m trying to do. 2A2C! I’m going to rebook. Thank you!

Did the charge ever show up?? I actually got the GC today and immediately checked my CC. Still nothing even pending. I cannot imagine they would not at least put a $1.00 pending hold before actually shipping the GC.

No same thing happened. It was really weird. I know I made the initial charges before 12/31 because I was trying to double dip with the 10% and nothing. It did not even show offer redeemed but then I started getting the staples shipping notice so I knew they went through. Finally showed up and posted close to same day. Some time after (not sure how long...I have been so busy...please don’t shun) I got the discount of the $19 off. In futile attempt to double dip I had gotten on 3 cards 3 $100 gift cards. I do not know what is going on but it happened on 2 of my cards and one of DH’s. Maybe it has to do with buying them online? If I wanted to use the offer I had to do online since we do not have one close.

@SouthFayetteFan Random thought with all this Amex chatter... would RAT be a good definition for the sticky on pg 1? It took me some time to realize it meant "Rewards Abuse Team" when I first started reading back in August.

I have to admit... CSR still gets me in different threads or other places online. IDK if I am reading about a customer service rep, Coronado Springs resort, or the Chase Sapphire Reserve :rotfl:
I called up Disney to try to payoff my reservation at CSR. I read off the numbers from my CSR to the CSR and finished the payment. So excited to stay at CSR and earn extra points on my CSR! See...that wasn’t so bad, right???

I will add RAT when I get a chance!

@PolyRob great new avatar. We love Stitch too. My youngest bought one today with a flower lei draped on him. I have never seen that one before.

@wendow that is funny about your boys and your avatar. My girls always see mine and start snooping around all excited like thinking they are going to see a big Disney secret. When I tell them it is just about credit cards and they read over my shoulder a bit they quickly lose interest. Oh and my DH is not completely on board with the Tokyo Disneyland plan either. At the airport Thursday I said something about it and got the “what are we still on that?”

@SouthFayetteFan I actually was going to try your shower thought plan of doing the Amex referral on spouse with pop up but I ended up bailing on it. I decided since I am still on their good list for now I did not want to take the chance to jeopardize my status. I got close though...to even filling out application. Before I could send though and get the pop up it blanked out and said not qualified. I think that might have been a glitch but I took it as a sign to leave it alone.

We had a really rough initial start staying DVC which included getting in finally at 3 in the morning and having the sofa bed be broken so not enough beds for everyone to sleep. But Disney has made it right for the most part and now having the kitchen, washer/dryer, and the perks of being off site with on site, I am liking it. It only took a partial breakdown that was extremely sad at the Kidani front desk for us to get a new room the next day and the points refunded for the first night. DH gets mad in situations like that and I just get sad. I guess we balance each other out. :)

EDIT: Actually it was a customer for a decade, has paid AFs on cards throughout that time period. Was denied a bonus (with no pop up warning) on Schwab Plat...wow, These denials with no pop up to me are way more frustrating than seeing the pop up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c...ion_thread_january_16_2019/ee7czu3/?context=3

Replying again now that I have looked at the post and the spreadsheet on r/churning -- what the info on the spreadsheet suggests to me (after a thorough, ten-minute review :smooth:) is that both opening and closing cards is a way to get on the bad list. For example, if I'm reading the info correctly, this poster opened several additional cards after being approved for the Schwab Plat but before meeting MSR. And some other people on the spreadsheet had long AmEx histories but had closed multiple cards in the past 12-24 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter