I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Marriotts have you stayed at in Orlando.......just finishing up our stay at Royal Palms..booked with URs..and wondering how other properties with 2 bedrooms are

We have only stayed at Marriott Grand Vista and Marriott Lakeshore Reserve. We are heading to Grande Vista on Sunday for a week and then to Harbor Lake for 2 days with our Marriott certificates. Lakeshore has an awesome lazy river and pool area. They didn’t build all the units that were in the original plan so it’s never crowded. On TUG, Harbor Lake gets better reviews for younger children. I have a friend coming with us for a 2 week Disney trip in April. we have a 3BR townhouse at Lakeshore for our first week and then a 2BR Cypress Harbor unit for the second week. I have alarms set for a couple times every night to check what new inventory is deposited. I’m still hoping to get a 2nd week at Lakeshore but it isbecomong less likely every day. How did you like Cypress Palms?

I wouldn't take the free night referral offers. Each night is capped at 35k, so if you used them at a lesser point category property you've instantly lost value. An argument could be made for it if you had a specific redemption in mind at the 35k and could only meet the 3k spend. If you can swing the 5k, which sounds like you might, I'd look at the 100k offers - that provides more flexibility if you're unsure of the exact redemption.

Here's a good chart to check out to see which cards you are eligible for based on your current cards -
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/navigating-marriotts-byzantine-credit-card-rules/

Depending on when you got the sign on or upgrade bonus each card and what exactly each one is, will determine what you could apply for next. If you got the bonus on the Marriott card more than 24 months ago then you may be eligible to get the SPG cards. DH can stick with the AmEx card line and get the remaining SPG cards as well, but unless you cancel it or upgrade it then he's locked out of the Chase card line. It gets complicated, so I find that chart helpful.

You can transfer both AmEx MR and Chase UR points into the Marriott program, but I think the return on the spends for those type of cards isn't worth it. Say you open the CIP for the 80k UR just to transfer to Marriott - that's 5k in spend for only 80k Bonvoy points versus 5k in spend on a Bonvoy card gets you 100k points. So it's worth checking out the chart to see if you can get in on any of the current offers.
Thanks so much! I’m wondering if there is any way I can refer DH and still have him get the 100k SUB? This way I’d also get 20k points added on...?

:welcome:

I’m going to jump right in to get a few more details to get started.

Does DD have any banking relationship with Chase?

Does DD have any side hustle that makes her some money, like selling things on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook; pet sitting or dog walking; baby sitting; tutoring; consulting or contract work; driving for Uber or Lyft, or delivering things for Amazon, Instacart, or Doordash; make crafts or other goods to sell at craft fairs, bake sales, or online at Etsy, etc.? I’m wondering if she has anything that might qualify her for a business credit card.

Why, does she/he have to provide this to get one?

:offtopic: Got a lovely surprise in the mail! The serviced apartment we stayed at in Barcelona last summer sent me a pen! All the way from Spain. And a promo code for 10% off. A little thing, but it made me smile. The pen has a picture of famous buildings in Barcelona. An after-the-fact souvenir and trip down memory lane. :)

I think @Lain is starting to advise a possible business card and when you apply for a business card, you should have some kind of business. You will be required to check off on the application what category your business is in.

So, if you do something such as selling on ebay, you will check off the category that your business falls into.

I think @Lain is starting to advise a possible business card and when you apply for a business card, you should have some kind of business. You will be required to check off on the application what category your business is in.

So, if you do something such as selling on ebay, you will check off the category that your business falls into.

I want a business card too. So this is good to know. At first I was concerned that I would have to give proof of ownership.

When applying for a business credit card, you need to have a business or at least a plausible claim to having a “business” or even plans to start a “business.” Different credit card issuers have different policies for approving business card applications. Amex and Chase are probably the easiest to get approved if you just apply with your legal name as the name of your business, SSN as the Tax ID number, type/category of business, “revenue” that may be actual, estimated, or projected, years in business, and personal income. But it’s still a good idea to have numbers and a narrative about your “business” in mind before applying to fill out the form and in case you need to discuss the application with a rep. Other issuers like BofA may require you to submit tax and/or bank statements to verify your business. We try to avoid these if we’re applying with just a “business.”

Last edited:
I want a business card too. So this is good to know. At first I was concerned that I would have to give proof of ownership.

I have 2 business cards so far. Easy peasy if you have any sort of sales. I've been selling off my junk. I'm a sole proprietor with just my ssn, and my name is my business name.

You can always check out the applications without actually filling them out to get an idea of what they ask for. Just don't hit submit until you are ready.

Wow! Just wow! Y'all are amazing! I am good with what I am doing currently but I might have to re evaluate! In any case, that's not why I am here. After discussing w my daughter what card she should get for a first one I told her I would ask for advice here. Here are some of her stats
23 years old
No credit cards currently
Working full time. Good steady income about 50K
Small Car payment for about the past year
Student loan payment
No other debt
Good Savings
Works for Marriott so she gets crazy good rates on hotel rooms (and so do i! :) :) )
Loves to travel and explore the world
SW Airlines is in her home city
Would like to pay the card off every month and build as many points as possible by paying for gas, groceries, anything she can find via that card.
Two offers came just this week Discover, Capital One

Anything else? Thanks so much for your expert info!
Because of this I would have her do the Discover or Cap 1 offer that you guys like the best. She will have better odds of approval with companies like Chase and Amex if she has some credit card history. 6 months is what I've seen people mention, then she can start trying to go to town on the lucrative cards.

Thanks for all of the Happy Anniversaries! We aren't doing anything really this year since we've been going on trips and have our Japan trip soon. We did order Papa John's and got a pizza for free so that was fun lol

Dh found his wallet!!! It was on our stationary bike. Neither of us ever thought to look there even though it's in plain sight. I'm so glad he has it now since he flies Sunday to Orlando. He did already order a replacement for his CSR so he cut up his other one.

:offtopic: Got a lovely surprise in the mail! The serviced apartment we stayed at in Barcelona last summer sent me a pen! All the way from Spain. And a promo code for 10% off. A little thing, but it made me smile. The pen has a picture of famous buildings in Barcelona. An after-the-fact souvenir and trip down memory lane. :)

As much as Marriott has Bonvoyed my experience booking the Royal Hawaiian again this Christmas, is it weird that I’m kind of really looking forward to seeing what, if any, Christmas ornament they’ll gift us this year?

ETA: Can you tell I love free souvenirs?

Last edited:
Because of this I would have her do the Discover or Cap 1 offer that you guys like the best. She will have better odds of approval with companies like Chase and Amex if she has some credit card history. 6 months is what I've seen people mention, then she can start trying to go to town on the lucrative cards.

Car loan, good job, - I think she may have a chance at a 'lucrative' card. They can only say no. We've seen 18 year olds be able to get cards.

Raining and 39 here! I see 54 next Friday in the forecast!!!! I cannot wait!
44 here and cloudy. We still have ice on our driveway so hopefully it melts soon. I'm a little worried about our river because it floods often and we got so much snow

Thanks so much! I’m wondering if there is any way I can refer DH and still have him get the 100k SUB? This way I’d also get 20k points added on...?

Go to Amex’s Refer A Friend site and log in with the profile that your SPG card is on. If available, you should see the ability to generate a support link that’ll earn your Marriott account 20k points for every approval.

Copy that support link and paste into an incognito window or another browser. You should see the message that you’ve been referred! There should be an option to click that you’re looking for a business card. Because you’re referring from a SPG card, the only options for referral are to other SPG/Bonvoy cards. When you click the option for a business card, you should see the option to apply for the Bonvoy Biz. Click it, verify it has the 100k points for $5k MSR offer, and apply. Do all this navigating from the window you opened with your support link. Don’t close the window or navigate away.

(I’m assuming you plan to apply DH for the Bonvoy Biz while it still has a waived AF first year and $95 AF second year until 3/28/19. Right?)

Thanks for all of the Happy Anniversaries! We aren't doing anything really this year since we've been going on trips and have our Japan trip soon. We did order Papa John's and got a pizza for free so that was fun lol

Dh found his wallet!!! It was on our stationary bike. Neither of us ever thought to look there even though it's in plain sight. I'm so glad he has it now since he flies Sunday to Orlando. He did already order a replacement for his CSR so he cut up his other one.
If you want a Tile asap I've seen them at my Best Buy

I'm staying away from the news, but getting it here, anyway. All these plane crashes are making me one nervous person. I'm wishing DD didn't have more flights this break, and that I didn't have so many coming up. :sad2: I for one am glad they grounded the Max planes until they get to the bottom of this.

ETA - I do appreciate the updates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter