I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow DISers! Do y’all accept TOTAL newbs who are just starting out? I decided to look a bit more into credit card rewards strategies as we have a few upcoming vacations planned. This thread caught my eye and it clearly has a TON of great info! I will be reading through this thread and the original, but with all the pages, it will probably take me a LONG time to get through it :rotfl:

So for the sake of getting my rewards rolling, I want to start ASAP. My main motivation for wanting to maximize rewards is for our WDW December 2019 trip. We are going to WBC for one week followed by four nights at SSR on DVC points we borrowed. For the $250 statement credit, I had planned on opening the Disney Premier Visa for both DH and myself. Questioning if this is worth it to also get the fringe on-site benefits?

I’m also looking into options for CCs that offer points towards hotel stays. We tend to stay at hotels that offer suites (Embassy Suites or Hilton Garden). We’re a big family and mostly road trip it for vacations, so airline miles are not as critical at this point. Aside from Disney, we have two other summer vacations planned that will have hotel stays.

If y’all could point me in the right direction to get started, I would really appreciate it :goodvibes
Namely, is the Disney Chase a ‘good’ offer with worthwhile benefits and which cards are best for hotel points? Also, I completely understand if these questions are so basic that I just need to read through and go from there :tilt:
Thanks in advance!

Welcome!! Before anyone will want to give advice, check out page one and let us know all cards you have applied for in the past two years. Also, are you open to business cards? Many of us here have business cards with only a "business", such as babysitting, selling on ebay, tutoring, etc. You could look at those upcoming vacations and see if there is a good credit card for those hotels. Otherwise, you may be better off starting with a Chase UR earning card like the Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve, both with 50,000 sign up bonuses, but different annual fees. If you do have a business there is the the Chase Ink Preferred, with a sign up bonus of 80,000 UR points. UR points are very versatile and can be used for many hotels, airlines, and things to do. Some UR cards have to ability to transfer to airlines as well.

Not many here would advise getting the Disney cards, if you intend to really do this and continue getting cards. Many have them, but if just starting out there are better cards out there. I don't think there are any onsite benefits other than the 6 months no interest and free photo.

Hello fellow DISers! Do y’all accept TOTAL newbs who are just starting out? I decided to look a bit more into credit card rewards strategies as we have a few upcoming vacations planned. This thread caught my eye and it clearly has a TON of great info! I will be reading through this thread and the original, but with all the pages, it will probably take me a LONG time to get through it :rotfl:

So for the sake of getting my rewards rolling, I want to start ASAP. My main motivation for wanting to maximize rewards is for our WDW December 2019 trip. We are going to WBC for one week followed by four nights at SSR on DVC points we borrowed. For the $250 statement credit, I had planned on opening the Disney Premier Visa for both DH and myself. Questioning if this is worth it to also get the fringe on-site benefits?

I’m also looking into options for CCs that offer points towards hotel stays. We tend to stay at hotels that offer suites (Embassy Suites or Hilton Garden). We’re a big family and mostly road trip it for vacations, so airline miles are not as critical at this point. Aside from Disney, we have two other summer vacations planned that will have hotel stays.

If y’all could point me in the right direction to get started, I would really appreciate it :goodvibes
Namely, is the Disney Chase a ‘good’ offer with worthwhile benefits and which cards are best for hotel points? Also, I completely understand if these questions are so basic that I just need to read through and go from there :tilt:
Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't personally get the premier card. There are links and referrals for $200 back in statement credit with a $500 minimum spend on the Chase Disney Visa no annual fee card. I would get that (so that you can get the benefits at the parks with the Disney Visa) and then focus on obtaining and using another card with better benefits.

I have the Disney Chase Visa and just referred my husband last month. I spent $500 on it almost immediately. The $200 statement credit posted even before the statement closed. Easy money!

If anyone did a Marriott points advance reservation before the category changes, if you have trouble getting your certificate for the previous points price honored, refer the CSR to "KM article 6115". Marriott confirmed that they are supposed to be honored at the original rate booked. I assume that internal article outlines how the rep is supposed to do that.

Here's the source of the legwork for that tidbit - https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/update-marriott-honors-points-advance-reservations/

My DH's annual fee hit on his SW card and his points have posted. Can I SM to close the account and have the AF refunded?

Sorry for such a basic question!!!!! I guess here I won't be ridiculed. Can you imagine if I asked on reddit!?
I'd call to close and at least see if they offer a statement credit to offset the fee as a retention offer.

Also, If you'd prefer the ridicule, I'm sure I could draft something up and post it here...just let me know ;)

If his first CIP was with SSN, I recommend self-referring for CIP #2 with EIN before downgrading CIP #1 to CIC/CIU. You get 20k more UR from that route as opposed to grabbing CIP #2 after the PC (100k vs. 80k).

If you're going to be applying for a second CIP anyway, then might as well go for the most points possible.
Thanks for the suggestion. No EIN here and we leave on vacation tomorrow, so no time to apply for one. Nothing like procrastination!

From the DPs on here and reddit it doesn’t seem to matter with Chase...just save a self referral to use if you downgrade it and reduce CLS if needed on his other cards
CL's are under 30% and IF I pull the trigger I will either self refer or use my link. I am still on the fence though. If anything goes wonky he will KILL me! Thanks for your help.

Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome - I'll send you a PM with an invite to our DISchurners reddit group. You might find that reading through our "news" thread there is easier than trying to peruse what is now 675 pages of discussion! We can definitely assist in earning THOUSANDS towards your travel goals (hundreds just isn't a big enough goal ;))

Applied for the Barclay Aviator Biz and got the we need more info message. It said they would call me or mail me info. I applied with my actual side business income numbers so I can answer questions but is it better to wait for the letter? I got a hard pull on TransUnion.

I’m curious about the lowering of the CL for Chase - how does Chase know household income? Is it only self reported in applications?

Applied for the Barclay Aviator Biz and got the we need more info message. It said they would call me or mail me info. I applied with my actual side business income numbers so I can answer questions but is it better to wait for the letter? I got a hard pull on TransUnion.

I’m curious about the lowering of the CL for Chase - how does Chase know household income? Is it only self reported in applications?
BARCLAYS: If you aren't in a hurry for the card I always say better to wait. It might approve on it's own but you could screw it up in Biz Recon. You ALWAYS have the option to recon after denial, but you don't want to recon your way INTO a denial, lol!

CHASE: Yes - it's purely the number you're reporting :)

Okay I'm ready to start prepping for my next card.
Here is where I am at:
02/19 Chase Sapphire Preferred (met MSR, waiting for reward points) Credit Limit $15000
03/18 Best Buy
07/17 Bank of America ( I used this one for a no fee balance transfer, amount has been paid off) Should I close it? I don't use it.
04/16 Chase SW Priority Credit Limit $12000 (This is my favorite card even with the AF b/c we fly primarily SW) It is losing out to the Sapphire though. :)
09/15 Citibank (This one was also used for a no fee balance transfer, also paid off and not used) Close it?
11/13 Walmart MC
06/11 Chase Disney (I just lowered my credit amount on this card to $2000) I was thinking of closing it since I don't use it but not sure how much it will affect Credit score if I do.
05/08 Kohls
10/08 Lane Bryant
05/05 Avenue
05/05 Credit Union Master Card

I have had 5 hard pulls since Aug 2017.

We have an Alaskan Cruise coming up in June of 2020. I opened the Sapphire to earn points to use towards flights.
I will be referring my husband for this card in July of this year. He's not big on the churning game, so I have to use him in small doses.

I am thinking I want to do the AMEX Hilton Honors card next because of the low MSR and no AF, and the sign up bonus is 100,000 points. We will probably stay in a Hilton when we fly to Seattle right before the cruise so this seems like the best choice. Also is it 2 or 3 months I should wait since applying for the CSP
Should I go with this card, or am I missing a better opportunity.
I don't want to mess with any business cards right now.

So what do you all think?
TIA

Quoting myself for a quick update. I just caught up on the Chase Freedom 5% categories so I think I should apply for the Freedom first and then the Amex. Does this plan sound okay. I need to wait though b4 applying for the Freedom though correct, since I just got my CSP in Feb?

Quoting myself for a quick update. I just caught up on the Chase Freedom 5% categories so I think I should apply for the Freedom first and then the Amex. Does this plan sound okay. I need to wait though b4 applying for the Freedom though correct, since I just got my CSP in Feb?
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you could maybe apply for that Freedom card now (or if you want to be a little safe, wait until 4/1). You had no new cards for a year basically so getting 2 Chase cards in back to back months isn’t really bad. Once you get the Freedom though, then you’d want to wait 3 months preferably before hitting Chase again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter