I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried Amex self referral for Delta Gold Biz. Got the dreaded pop up. Bummer.

:grouphug:

I’m so sorry to read this.

Can you give us some background info?

Which Amex cards do you have open? When were they opened? Have you closed any Amex cards, and if so, when? Any cards closed in less than a year? How long have you been an Amex customer? What has your spend been like on your Amex cards? Do you put spend on each card every month? Any noticeable drop off in spend on the cards?

After seeing a commercial for Royal Caribbean’s new island, Dh agreed to a cruise next year. I need to pounce and book before he changes his mind(he hates traveling)

We are a family of five and it’s looking like the cruise alone will be 6000-7000. Any tips on cards to help with Royal? I’m thinking there isn’t much besides cash back cards and bank bonuses?

ETA- I have most Chase UR cards and a Barclay arrival plus. Only one Amex but they seem to hate me with pop ups on my 2 attempts a few months ago. We do owe a rental property so I tend to use that for business card apps if needed.

The upgraded boarding is the A1-15 boarding spots you can purchase at the gate. With them, you don’t need to purchase EBCI.i think when I did the upgraded boarding in Jan when we charged our Orlando flight last minute, it was $40 each for DS and me.
If we have a connecting flight and purchase the upgraded boarding, is that for both flights or just the first?

After seeing a commercial for Royal Caribbean’s new island, Dh agreed to a cruise next year. I need to pounce and book before he changes his mind(he hates traveling)

We are a family of five and it’s looking like the cruise alone will be 6000-7000. Any tips on cards to help with Royal? I’m thinking there isn’t much besides cash back cards and bank bonuses?

ETA- I have most Chase UR cards and a Barclay arrival plus. Only one Amex but they seem to hate me with pop ups on my 2 attempts a few months ago. We do owe a rental property so I tend to use that for business card apps if needed.
We are planning to go there on the Harmony of the Seas next March out of Orlando. My plan had been to put the deposit on my Arrival + and erase it and then pay the remainder with URs but I am not sure that is going to happen now if Chase isn’t allowing 2020 cruise transfers. So I am trying to refigure my plan.

If we have a connecting flight and purchase the upgraded boarding, is that for both flights or just the first?
To be honest, I have no idea since our flight was nonstop to MCO. When you purchase EBCI, it is for both flights so I tend to think this might be the same but I don’t know that with any certainty. I wonder if it is in of the SWA FAQs.

Last edited:

So, I’m still on the fence about which card to apply for. Please help me decide. DH and I each have 1 Chase Ink (I have regular and he has the 1.5%). We have good credit. My score is 814 last time I checked. He has the Sapphire Preferred. I haven’t applied for any other Chase cards in over 2 years (other than the Chase Ink). The cards I am considering:

—Sapphire Preferred (with DH referral)
—Chase Ink 1.5
—Chase Ink Preferred
—Chase Sapphire Reserve

I’m leaning towards the Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink 1.5 because I’m ultra conservative, but I’m tempted to go with either the Ink Preferred (for the cell Phone protection & 3% bonus perks), or the Sapphire Reserve for the better trip delay benefit. We recently experienced a trip delay and so I now see the benefits of the cards and not just the bonus features.

The cons for the Ink Preferred is the annual fee that isn’t waived and the higher minimum spend. I’m fairly certain we could meet the $5k, but would prefer one I can meet sooner. The cons for the Reserve are the annual fee. I also need convincing the features versus the $450 fee make sense for my travel needs, which are primarily with family (DH and 4 kids). I do like the 6 hour trip delay instead of 12 with Preferred, but not sure that’s enough of a reason for the higher fee?

The Sapphire Preferred, overall makes the most sense, but the Chase Ink 1.5 would be pretty easy to get and meet the minimum spend, and I could still get the Preferred or Reserve later. But...I know I have to wait 24 months before I can get another Sapphire product, so I can see why timing and order of applications for each Chase card can be crucial.

Ugh! I think I’m driving myself crazy! WWYD?

I have a question on Apple Pay as we have never used it. If DD were to load my new CIP in Apple Pay, would she be able to use that to help me meet my MSR? Any problems if the card is not in her name? It still counts for MSR, right? She goes to her local Costco frequently for gas and food and I know they take Apple Pay, just never tried it....

I went for the $149 card..for the $75 SW credit, 4 upgraded boarding positions....rolled the dice and didn’t buy EBCI...bought the upgrades at the gate and was reimbursed....also the additional Anniversary points
I was thinking this might come in handy for our departing flights, I'm not planning on paying for EBCI on departing flights, just return flight so we don't have to worry about checking in right at 24 hours. But, we have multiple confirmation numbers so who know what boarding positions we'll get by the time we get everyone checked in.

Your post gave me a new thought on this. I also did the $149 card. I didnt include the upgrades officially in the value from the card since they're one of those perks you might not pay real cash for. But your post made me think, if you would typically buy EBCI then you could consider them worth $15 to $25 each, by skipping EBCI and upgrading as you did.
That would take it from almost even to swinging in favor of the $149 card.

Ooh, good question. Hadn't thought of that. Our Florida trip has direct flights but our California flights don't.

Does anyone know if the $75 credit can be used to pay for EBCI? I did some research but can't really find a clear answer. It's not good on "upgraded boarding" but not sure if they consider EBCI that.

I have a question on Apple Pay as we have never used it. If DD were to load my new CIP in Apple Pay, would she be able to use that to help me meet my MSR? Any problems if the card is not in her name? It still counts for MSR, right? She goes to her local Costco frequently for gas and food and I know they take Apple Pay, just never tried it....

Unfortunately, Chase’s Ink cards are not supported on Apple Pay, so you won’t even be able to add the CIP to Apple Pay. You could hand the card to DD to use and in most cases she won’t be questioned or asked to show ID; or you could get an “employee card” (basically an AU on a biz card) with DD’s name on it for her to use, which will contribute to your CIP’s MSR.

Last edited:
So, I’m still on the fence about which card to apply for. Please help me decide. DH and I each have 1 Chase Ink (I have regular and he has the 1.5%). We have good credit. My score is 814 last time I checked. He has the Sapphire Preferred. I haven’t applied for any other Chase cards in over 2 years (other than the Chase Ink). The cards I am considering:

—Sapphire Preferred (with DH referral)
—Chase Ink 1.5
—Chase Ink Preferred
—Chase Sapphire Reserve

I’m leaning towards the Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink 1.5 because I’m ultra conservative, but I’m tempted to go with either the Ink Preferred (for the cell Phone protection & 3% bonus perks), or the Sapphire Reserve for the better trip delay benefit. We recently experienced a trip delay and so I now see the benefits of the cards and not just the bonus features.

The cons for the Ink Preferred is the annual fee that isn’t waived and the higher minimum spend. I’m fairly certain we could meet the $5k, but would prefer one I can meet sooner. The cons for the Reserve are the annual fee. I also need convincing the features versus the $450 fee make sense for my travel needs, which are primarily with family (DH and 4 kids). I do like the 6 hour trip delay instead of 12 with Preferred, but not sure that’s enough of a reason for the higher fee?

The Sapphire Preferred, overall makes the most sense, but the Chase Ink 1.5 would be pretty easy to get and meet the minimum spend, and I could still get the Preferred or Reserve later. But...I know I have to wait 24 months before I can get another Sapphire product, so I can see why timing and order of applications for each Chase card can be crucial.

Ugh! I think I’m driving myself crazy! WWYD?
Something to consider - you could use your husband’s CSP link, get 10k + 50k w/ annual fee waived and then ask for the 10k match to the new public 60k offer. Obviously nobody knows what will happen but CSP support offers could go away or change at any point. You could save that CIP via husband’s link for a future card.

I’m not suggesting that this is your best plan, just throwing out an idea. I think all of the cards you’re considering are truly a good idea. So it just comes down to picking which one is best for you. :)

Also be aware that it’s a 48mo waiting period vs 24mo for Sapphire family cards now. That changed last fall.

That’s interesting. Would find it hard to believe someone like that exists around here. Not exactly in a metropolitan area. But my problem is not knowing what I want. After over 18 years in a minivan, I’m finding it hard to let go. I don’t understand the minivan hate. It is so much more practical than SUVs. But with 2 in college and 1 left at home for just one more year I don’t really need a minivan anymore. But really having a hard time with getting a 5 seater because to me that means no more family driving vacations. Which we do a lot. I could rent if we needed, but that can be a pain for last minute getaways. Which we do. Ughhhh. I can’t make a decision!!! My minivan is having issues and DH said no more $$ into it as it is over 10 years old now. Plus it is horrendous in the snow here. We have gotten stuck multiple times in it. So I think I’m looking for a awd suv. But I really don’t like SUVs. I think the actual buying once I know what I want is the easy part.

I'm not a minivan fan. But we've owned one for years because it's the most practical for large families who do long drives to FL often. But once the kids move out, it's gone. I just like smaller vehicles, I feel like I'm driving a school bus. It is AWD and a beast in the snow though. Far better than the FWD minivan we had before this one.

It sounds like DoC's sources in Amex are putting the personal Green card refresh in around June/July: Update 3/23/19: American Express is hoping to refresh this card by June/July. I’m not sure if the exact specifics are the same as mentioned below or if they have made further tweaks but the refresh date has firmed for June/July period.

[Rumor] American Express To Refresh Green Card (4x On Gas, 3x On Streaming & More) – June/July Date - DoC.

I know @miztressuz and maybe @DisneyMandC were interested.

Yep, saw that this morning. Put a wrench in the plans as the AF just posted so we're on the clock now for a refund.

Seems like no one knows what might happen when the refresh comes out. I threw the Q over to r/churning and didn't get any good info. I can be willing to be the DP I want to see but usually it involves less $$ risk :P

I'd be shocked if his card gets refreshed the way it's been treated (original AF and no referral points, it's the $100 offer) but as PointsYak pointed out "The lament over canceling if it ends up being refreshed would be worth more than $55 in mental anguish to me lol." I'd kick myself forever but then again, how would we know? There's no one that would admit they have an AmEx Green card they pay an AF on, let alone someone that's been doing it since before they added the $40 MR program fee. So if we cancel the world may never know. If we don't cancel, we'd know but I'd be out close to $55 as it's not been getting good AmEx offers lately to offset.

Been trying for years to get him to cancel it, finally got buy in for it this year since I convinced him to open the BBP to hold the MR, and now I'm thinking about keeping it. This is the unkillable card.

However, with my luck, we keep it and it gets refreshed but AmEx nerfs all the interesting bits, like the Amazon Prime membership :rolleyes:

Something to consider - you could use your husband’s CSP link, get 10k + 50k w/ annual fee waived and then ask for the 10k match to the new public 60k offer. Obviously nobody knows what will happen but CSP support offers could go away or change at any point. You could save that CIP via husband’s link for a future card.

I’m not suggesting that this is your best plan, just throwing out an idea. I think all of the cards you’re considering are truly a good idea. So it just comes down to picking which one is best for you. :)

Also be aware that it’s a 48mo waiting period vs 24mo for Sapphire family cards now. That changed last fall.

I’m glad you mentioned this because I thought I would get the 60k with his link, but it’s good to know I won’t. I don’t believe DH has a link for a CIP. We each have the $0 fee chase business card. Is there a referral link to the Ink Preferred from these?

Also, just so I understand correctly, if DH and I each have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, we would have to wait 48 months before either of us could get the Chase Sapphire Reserve? But, can we downgrade one of our Sapphire’s to apply for the Reserve or can we not even apply for the other for 4 years? It still feels a bit out of our league anyway. We’re pretty green to this whole points thing. I’m just trying not to duplicate a benefit we already have with another card, but I do see benefits to us both having the Sapphire Preferred.

Last edited:
I’m glad you mentioned this because I thought I would get the 60k with his link, but it’s good to know I won’t. I don’t believe DH has a link for a CIP. We each have the $0 fee chase business card. Is there a referral link to the Ink Preferred from these?

Also, just so I understand correctly, if DH and I each have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, we would have to wait 48 months before either of us could get the Chase Sapphire Reserve? But, can we downgrade one of our Sapphire’s to apply for the Reserve or can we not even apply for the other for 4 years? It still feels a bit out of our league anyway. We’re pretty green to this whole points thing. I’m just trying not to duplicate a benefit we already have with another card, but I do see benefits to us both having the Sapphire Preferred.
You can product change from the Preferred to the Reserve or vice versa at anytime after the first year as long as you have the $10,000 CL, you are only eligible for the SUB every 4 years, down from the 2 it was prior to last fall.

My understanding was that all of the insurance benefits were identical between the two cards. The differences being $300 travel credit, upgraded point structure and TSA Pre/ GE credit for the Reserve and no charge for an AU on the Preferred.

FWIW, the CSP is the one card I will not be letting go for any reason other than to upgrade to the Reserve.

You can product change from the Preferred to the Reserve or vice versa at anytime after the first year as long as you have the $10,000 CL, you are only eligible for the SUB every 4 years, down from the 2 it was prior to last fall.

My understanding was that all of the insurance benefits were identical between the two cards. The differences being $300 travel credit, upgraded point structure and TSA Pre/ GE credit for the Reserve and no charge for an AU on the Preferred.

FWIW, the CSP is the one card I will not be letting go for any reason other than to upgrade to the Reserve.

Thank you! I followed most of what you said. I’m assuming SUB is sign up bonus. So...even if we downgrade a card, we still will not be eligible for the SUB for 4 years, but we could still upgrade to the card if we choose to?

My biggest concern with the Reserve is that I’m not sure we travel enough to benefit from it. I know we will easily recover the $300 travel credit, but GE would never get used. I mean, we go to Canada pretty regularly, but that’s about it. We take 2-3 family trips a year. A couple fairly decent ones and a couple weekend type ones. This past year we went to Myrtle Beach, Lake Placid, Syracuse, Burlington, Disney and Universal and will round off the year at Dollywood in TN. We take frequent dat and sometimes overnight trips to Canada, but we do not do any overseas travel—not yet, anyway. One of our trips was by air.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter