I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Just chiming in. Been MIA for a bit. Left on the 15th for a Carnival Cruise (booked on UR Points of course). Got back on the 23rd but have been busy at work catching up... Too many pages here to catch up on so read the news on the R/Churning site and then started at page 800. I feel like I am mostly caught up.

Was getting anxious as I currently had no MSR to meet. So I signed DH up for the Ink Business Cash (he already has 2 CIP Accounts). Was approved the next morning. PM'd them to expedite the card and should have tomorrow or Friday. Only $3000 spend on that one. DS20 is buying a new car (not brand new - 2011 Equinox) and they will let me put $1500 on a CC so that will take care of half of that - then I have medical bills coming in for about $1000 so I should be meeting this spend fairly quickly and then will have to find another new card. Would like DH to get the Capitol One Venture Card but it is only at 50,000 points right now. Hoping it goes up again. I think I got mine at 70,000 or 75,000.

Need to get DH an AA business card (he had the Citi Card) but need him to call and get an AA account set up as they say his email is not on file so I can't create an account. And I need to know his correct Account # as I can't read my own writing and don't know if one of the digits is a 0 or O. Can't get into the Citi Website as it keeps locking me out - so that is no help... At least the AA card I can use to pay the Mortgage.

Oh and OT. My boss called the other day (he is on vacation and we have a small office). He said he just wanted to let me know that he appreciates everything I do and always do extra (emails on my cruise - coming in on weekends to get stuff done etc) and he wanted me to know that it does not go unnoticed... He said there will be an extra $2500 in your next check. Very surprised and unexpected...

I think I understand that you can apply for Amex and citi AA biz cards in between chase but how soon is too soon? I’m more than 30 days but not 60 since I got the CIP.

I don't want to advise you to ignore what your GE interviewer told you, but our middle names are on all of our passports, and we have taken multiple international trips since we've had GE, and I have never put our middle names on our air bookings. We have never had an issue being able to use GE.

ETA: We have also always gotten precheck for our applicable flights, and I don't put our middle names or initials on our domestic bookings either.

I recall that I did have an issue that had something to do with a missing middle name, but I'm pretty sure that the problem was that the middle name was missing from the United rewards account (or whatever it's called that stores all of the info like name and KTN). I *think* those need to match in order for the KTN to generate pre-check.

Is that the SPG one?

Also do the points stay in Marriott account if you cancel the card after a year?

Yes, today is the last day to apply for the Amex Marriott Bonvoy Business credit card (formerly the Amex SPG Business credit card), in order to lock in a $0 first year annual fee and $95 in the second year. Tomorrow, the annual fee on this card goes up to $125, and the first year is not waived.

The signup bonus points earned on this card are deposited into your Marriott account within a few days of meeting the MSR, and any Marriott points earned from spend get deposited to your Marriott account after the statement closes every month. They stay in there even if you close the card.

Note that the Bonvoy Biz comes with a Anniversay Free Night certificate redeemable for stays up to 35k Marriott points. However, the way Amex has timed the deposit of this anniversary FN certificate, you’ll only receive it about 6-8 weeks after your AF posts, and you only have 30 days from when the AF posts to decide to pay the annual fee or close the card. So effectively, if you want to avoid a second year AF, you’ll have to close the card before the FN certificate posts. If you want the FN certificate, you’ll need to pay your second (and subsequent) year AFs.

If you’re planning to apply, good luck! At a minimum, it’s still 100k Marriott points for $5k MSR on a $0 first year AF.

We went through the website specified in the offer.

Thanks! That's what I figured. Will have to fiddle around with it and see if I can find the one I want there but since it's for home I probably won't be able to. I may just have to be ok without the extra $40 back :sad: Not worth spending $50 more to start with just to save on it when it's not as good of a system.

For anyone that's used the Dell credit on Amex, I think @Albort you got a tv? Did you do it through the website they say, dell.com/amex? Because if I go that route it'll cost me more than if I go through the regular site with the sale going on. I think it's because they are "business" computers instead. It's $50 more and a 7th gen instead of 8th gen intel. I want to make sure I'm better off going through the regular site. The sale ends today/tomorrow so I need to figure out if I'm going to buy now or wait.

It doesn’t matter if you go through dell.com/Amex or not. Tons of DPs from folks going through the regular Dell site to take advantage of shopping portals and the credit tracking.

Yes, today is the last day to apply for the Amex Marriott Bonvoy Business credit card (formerly the Amex SPG Business credit card), in order to lock in a $0 first year annual fee and $95 in the second year. Tomorrow, the annual fee on this card goes up to $125, and the first year is not waived.

The signup bonus points earned on this card are deposited into your Marriott account within a few days of meeting the MSR, and any Marriott points earned from spend get deposited to your Marriott account after the statement closes every month. They stay in there even if you close the card.

Note that the Bonvoy Biz comes with a Anniversay Free Night certificate redeemable for stays up to 35k Marriott points. However, the way Amex has timed the deposit of this anniversary FN certificate, you’ll only receive it about 6-8 weeks after your AF posts, and you only have 30 days from when the AF posts to decide to pay the annual fee or close the card. So effectively, if you want to avoid a second year AF, you’ll have to close the card before the FN certificate posts. If you want the FN certificate, you’ll need to pay your second (and subsequent) year AFs.

If you’re planning to apply, good luck! At a minimum, it’s still 100k Marriott points for $5k MSR on a $0 first year AF.

Thank you! I took a deep breath and applied for my 1st business card. It's weird how applying can make me nervous. I had no intentions of applying for any business cards, but then the other day I thought hey I'm a notary and that can be a small business! Boom approved! Thanks for the reply.

For anyone that's used the Dell credit on Amex, I think @Albort you got a tv? Did you do it through the website they say, dell.com/amex? Because if I go that route it'll cost me more than if I go through the regular site with the sale going on. I think it's because they are "business" computers instead. It's $50 more and a 7th gen instead of 8th gen intel. I want to make sure I'm better off going through the regular site. The sale ends today/tomorrow so I need to figure out if I'm going to buy now or wait.

I went through the regular site.

It doesn’t matter if you go through dell.com/Amex or not. Tons of DPs from folks going through the regular Dell site to take advantage of shopping portals and the credit tracking.

I went through the regular site.

Thank you both! I'll get the cheaper one then. The one on the biz side does have a dvd/cd that would be nice but I'm hoping that I can keep my current laptop going to at least dump stuff into itunes for awhile. I like to get the cd from the library :) But I'm running windows 7 and I know, while the hard drive has been replaced it's also not going to last forever and it's been acting up.

I recall that I did have an issue that had something to do with a missing middle name, but I'm pretty sure that the problem was that the middle name was missing from the United rewards account (or whatever it's called that stores all of the info like name and KTN). I *think* those need to match in order for the KTN to generate pre-check.

Not trying to be argumentative at all, but I just double checked my Southwest and United accounts. SW doesn't have my middle name but does have my KTN, and I always get pre-check. Likewise, my United account has just my middle initial (and my KTN), and I always get pre-check there too.

I'm asthmatic which may be what triggered the BP due to the air quality and how it affected my upper respiratory system while in China or not. No one really knows for certain what causes BP. Here at home I only need the inhaler a couple of times a year. In China I was using it several times a day. So there is that to consider. I also have not fully recovered from BP. The right side of my face still doesn't coordinate with the left and my right eye doesn't fully blink so I sill wear an eye patch on occasion when it is irritated. I'm far better than many who don't fully recover so I am grateful for that. None the less, I would not trade in the experience of my trip even knowing what would happen. #noregrets

Oddly enough, I would totally visit Japan on my own. I agree the culture is completely different.

I am Hispanic, my mom was born in Cuba. The family fled back in 1960 I think. Neither she or I would ever set foot there. TBH I don't know how tourist dollars impact China and the people. I didn't think of it until you mentioned it on this thread. It is food for thought though. Since we did an ABD trip, I think my mind was on the idea of my dollars going directly to Disney as usual.

Same with Japan. I don't think I need a guide there. As for China, I have asthma, too. And I was fine last summer until we hit London, which isn't nearly as bad to China, not even close. So as much as I would love to go, I don't think it would be smart. My Mom was born in Shanghai (we are not Chinese) and when she was a child her family was on the last US transport ship out of the city before it fell to the communists. So I would love to see it on the one hand, but have very conflicted thoughts on going there. Her siblings have visited, but she never wanted to. Nonetheless it looks fascinating and I'd probably go if I wasn't worried about heath issues.

Love all the talk of the ethics of visiting different countries. I'd never really thought about it in terms of Cuba, but I know someone who has been multiple times. I've been thinking about it since I'd like to visit Dubai though, and there's a lot of discussion about the rapid growth of the city basically being the result of slavery. China isn't on my list right now, but I do have a friend who lived there for two years teaching and I don't think he experienced any noteworthy issues. Hilariously, he has had teaching stints in the UAE, South Korea, China, and is now in Russia. I joked with him that he's running the gamut of communist countries (minus the UAE).

And I'm counting down the days to the final Game of Thrones season :sad:

Dubai isn't and will never be on my travel list, and I've never even thought about Cuba. Too many questionable countries and you can get denied GE (DD's good friend was denied for some of the places he visited during his gap year). And I'm counting down the days, too. We need to sign up for HBO soon!

Hi all! I have never posted on this thread before, but I have gotten some great advice by reading your posts. I do have a question I couldn’t find the answer to for AMEX experts....

I am considering upgrading from the old Spg card to the Bonvoy Brilliant. I do not have a points offer at this time. I was thinking of upgrading anyway because my card renewal date is April 15th. If I upgrade I know the new AF is $450 but I think the following is true as well:
1. I will get a $300 credit to use at Marriott between now and 4/15. I will buy a $300 gift card (I also have the $40 offer added to this card for a $200 purchase so I think I will get $340 all together).
2. I will get another $300 credit to use for the next year after the renewal date.
3. I will get a 50k night certificate (rather than 35k) since that is the card I had at annual renewal.
4. I don’t think I will be charged a prorated AF for this year through April 15th because they don’t assess it for 45 days.

So for the $450 AF I will be receiving $640 in Marriott credits. Does anyone know if those 4 statements are correct?

Finally, will I be eligible for a bonus on the Brilliant in the future since I took the upgrade but never received a BONUS for signing up for the card?

Any reason I shouldn’t do this? I think I am eligible to downgrade this card again in the future, but not sure about that.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Got the laptop through the regular Dell site and as soon as it submitted I had the email from Amex regarding the deal. It's also already pending at ebates. It was only 8% vs topcashback's 10% but it should credit by the end of March which is the end of the quarter. So I'll get the payout mid May. I felt it was better that way. So between the two credits it should get me down to my budget since tax added so much, I so love our 10% tax...

My DH just went through the regular site. Didn't realize there was a specific Amex site.

ETA: Glad it worked for you!

Saw on OMATT that more luxury hotels are joining World of Hyatt. I'm looking forward to Ventana Big Sur. Had my eye on it for years (along with Post Ranch Inn), but can't bring myself to spend the $$$$$. Would be great for an anniversary (no kids!). Even if it ends up being category 8, would still be a good deal with URs transferred over. #ilovepoints

Saw on OMATT that more luxury hotels are joining World of Hyatt. I'm looking forward to Ventana Big Sur. Had my eye on it for years (along with Post Ranch Inn), but can't bring myself to spend the $$$$$. Would be great for an anniversary (no kids!). Even if it ends up being category 8, would still be a good deal with URs transferred over. #ilovepoints

OMG YES! I would so make a redemption at either.

Don’t forget, Hyatt has the Carmel Highlands too.

Also, am I the only one here who watches all the messed up and, um vulgar, shows? :rotfl2:I just finished binge watching Mindhunter. I'm rewatching The Wire for the third time. DH and I have been watching a ton of Veep in preparation for the new season to start Sunday. And I'm counting down the days to the final Game of Thrones season :sad:

Nope you’re not. Count me in for Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, House of Cards, Vikings, Outlander. Love the messed up and vulgar shows. I also love Gilmore Girls though. I think that makes me eclectic in my tastes:-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter