• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SouthFayetteFan and any other bankers out there. I just had the most frustrating experience with HSBC. They made their old app obsolete, forcing users to install their new app. Went to deposit a check today and couldn't access my account because it sent a verification code to my "old device" (even though I've had the same phone number for 10+ years). So I call HSBC and the nightmare began.

The CSR had to text me a code, then once I got that I needed to enter it, then would be prompted to send myself an e-mail for another code (such silliness). HSBC is now requiring users to create a separate password for their phones and laptops. This doesn't work for me because I want 1 password for each bank (I don't want 2 passwords for HSBC as I will never remember them). The girl on the phone kept insisting that I just add another letter or number to my password for my phone, and I held fast and said there was no way I'd remember that as I rarely use HSBC (Chase is my daily banking) and I only want 1 password. She was telling me how it's more secure to have 2 different passwords, but wasn't able to articulate what made having 2 passwords more secure (she was also trying to tell me that when I logged in on my computer I'd be using a "password" and on my phone a "pass code"; I must have been her nightmare because I told her the words are synonyms, even though she kept insisting they meant something different). I asked if my account could be set up to bypass the requirement for a unique password for my phone, but was told (after a lengthy hold) that that couldn't be done. After 1 hour, 10 minutes of sheer frustration on the phone she told me that if I wanted to bypass activating this nonsense I could hit an area where it said "complete activation later" and it would take me to my account. I have no clue why she waited over an hour to tell me this. I felt required to leave a negative review of the app during the phone call and was relieved to see that most of the other reviews gave the app 1* just as I did (I would have preferred to leave no star).

Incidentally HSBC already requires user id, date of birth and password to login, which is more than any other banking app that I use. I was wondering during the phone call how difficult it would be to move this account elsewhere -- that's how frustrating the call was. Alas HSBC Premiere holds our mortgage (just renewed) and we get a very sweet rate, so it seems unlikely that I have the option of moving to a more user-friendly bank.

It’s official!!! My dd heard back from DCP and she will be at BOG :jumping1: This is like a dream placement for my girl!

My only concern is since it’s only QS for breakfast and lunch, she will have all early shifts. That’s gonna be a bit of a challenge for a bit but I guess she will adjust.

So exciting! Congrats to your DD!

When does her DCP start? We'll be there the end of May and have a few BoG lunch ressies!

Our other great parent of the year at Disney memory is taking her on the Tower of Terror right when it opened in 2004. She was a tall 4 year old and we had no clue how intense the ride was or how "scary" the attraction part would be. She cried the whole time and refused to go on it for years. We actually did feel badly about that one :) Oops.

We had this exact same experience with the Snow White ride. The witch appears about 5 seconds into the ride, and 4 yo put his head down and refused to look up for the rest of the ride.

@SouthFayetteFan and any other bankers out there. I just had the most frustrating experience with HSBC. They made their old app obsolete, forcing users to install their new app. Went to deposit a check today and couldn't access my account because it sent a verification code to my "old device" (even though I've had the same phone number for 10+ years). So I call HSBC and the nightmare began.

The CSR had to text me a code, then once I got that I needed to enter it, then would be prompted to send myself an e-mail for another code (such silliness). HSBC is now requiring users to create a separate password for their phones and laptops. This doesn't work for me because I want 1 password for each bank (I don't want 2 passwords for HSBC as I will never remember them). The girl on the phone kept insisting that I just add another letter or number to my password for my phone, and I held fast and said there was no way I'd remember that as I rarely use HSBC (Chase is my daily banking) and I only want 1 password. She was telling me how it's more secure to have 2 different passwords, but wasn't able to articulate what made having 2 passwords more secure (she was also trying to tell me that when I logged in on my computer I'd be using a "password" and on my phone a "pass code"; I must have been her nightmare because I told her the words are synonyms, even though she kept insisting they meant something different). I asked if my account could be set up to bypass the requirement for a unique password for my phone, but was told (after a lengthy hold) that that couldn't be done. After 1 hour, 10 minutes of sheer frustration on the phone she told me that if I wanted to bypass activating this nonsense I could hit an area where it said "complete activation later" and it would take me to my account. I have no clue why she waited over an hour to tell me this. I felt required to leave a negative review of the app during the phone call and was relieved to see that most of the other reviews gave the app 1* just as I did (I would have preferred to leave no star).

Incidentally HSBC already requires user id, date of birth and password to login, which is more than any other banking app that I use. I was wondering during the phone call how difficult it would be to move this account elsewhere -- that's how frustrating the call was. Alas HSBC Premiere holds our mortgage (just renewed) and we get a very sweet rate, so it seems unlikely that I have the option of moving to a more user-friendly bank.
Yeah... Unfortunately not one part of that ridiculousness surprises me after knowing my own and others experiences with them. HSBC is the worst bank on my rather long bank list. Sorry you're stuck with them. Maybe they'll sell your mortgage soon!

I was just on the phone with West Jet (such nice CSRs) and the rep was trying to talk me into their credit card (I instantly thought "that would put closer to 5/24", then remembered there isn't any such restriction in Canada :ssst:) and she was talking me through their website to see where they fly (I didn't realize they fly to Hawaii and Europe), when I noticed the FROZEN themed plane!!

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-us/fleet/disney-frozen-themed-plane
Their card seems sweet, $350.00 WJ dollars (just like cash), 1.5% WJ$ on all purchases and 1 companion pass per year for anywhere they fly (+ $99.00 domestic and $399.00 overseas). I didn't jump on the offer because I want to research it on canada chruners first (and I also just got the Cdn gold AmEx so don't want to apply so soon).

Wanted to share this little story -

When I was checking out of our AC hotel in Costa Rica, I used (2) $300 and (2) $200 Marriott gift cards to apply to our room charges. These are ones I've bought via Amex Offers at Marriott/Fairfield/Courtyard over the past year at basically a 20% discount off face value. The front desk person asked me if I get these Marriott cards through my travels earning points. Briefly, the thought of explaining Amex Offers flitted through my mind, and I just went with, "Yes." 🤣

Also, I tried asking at the JW Marriott Houston last week if I could buy a gift card and add it to my room charges (so that I could use my $100 off $500 Amex Offer), but was told that they no longer sell gift cards and that they are only being sold online now. :( I'm guessing this may be YMMV and also dependent on whether that location stocks gift cards or not. Boo.

We got the new Lowes Amex offer on 4 cards. Which reminded me P2 had a Chase Lowes offer on his United biz card that expires tomorrow! So I went in this morning and bought a Kroger gc with it. Hoping it posts properly. These Lowes offers are good timing for us because we used up all the $6k grocery spend on our BCP sometime last month. Seems like I read somewhere that the 6% back on groceries resets on Jan 1 now instead of at the beginning of whatever statement period includes Jan 1 in it. Does that sound right?
It is supposed to be by calendar year now. When they changed a few years ago I had trouble with them not properly crediting my December purchases that showed up on my Jan statement. They included them in January which made me lose a bit on the previous year's rewards. They never fixed it. I now try to complete my year's rewards before my Dec statement closes. Bought a ton of GC in November so I should be close.

I have 4 bedrooms and they were full for Thanksgiving. I don't anticipate them being full again until next Thanksgiving. I don't need a house this big. I want to fix it up and sell it. Not likely though.

My teeny house had 4 bedrooms when I bought it. Now it has 3 bedrooms and an extra bathroom where the 4th bedroom used to be.

It was what I could afford when I got divorced. Then, a few refi's and a few years later I started looking for something new and more up graded in general. Then I upgraded my kitchen to double it's original size, added on a good sized deck, added on a patio and a large out building for 'stuff' and it works pretty good most of the time.

I would probably be 'richer' real estate wise if I'd rented this one out and bought a newer one, but that money is something that I'll only see if I give up my home, and right about now I'd be looking to downsize, so it probably all has worked out.

I'm constantly trying to get rid of 'stuff' though.

Does anyone know if Advanced Auto Parts sells 3rd party gift cards? I have offers on my Chase cards for 20% cashback. TIA!

I don't think so. I go in there for stuff and I've never seen them. I haven't checked the website yet.

Possible deval to Hyatt points, they will be introducing peak and off peak awards starting next year.

On my quick read, while they introduced the same peak/off peak concept as Marriott Bonvoy, they seem to have implemented it better (as you'd expect from just about anyone else).
- It won't be dynamic, so what you see on release is what you should expect while inventory lasts.
- The dates will be set by geographic market, so it doesn't seem like it would be set for individual properties within an area.

Not being a Hyatt expert (haven't stayed in years) this doesn't seem too bad.

I've been expecting this. I've got my Hyatt summer nights booked already. Now my free night will be of less value probably same as Marriott. What may also go with the change is category changes, same as Marriott, for a double whammy at the properties that fluctuate wildly season to season such as the one I go to. I expect it to go from 4 to 5.

I love all the old Disney movies. I watched them growing up, even though they were older then. Now my kids have grown up on them. ‘Parent Trap’ is good too if you’ve not seen it. I think Disney+ has both old and new ones.
The old Parent Trap is a huge favorite in my house - stuff I didn't get as a kid is so funny now! And I like the new one too. We are enjoying the old movies - some of them are pretty odd, but we liked them as kids and my kids like them now, even though they were dated even when I was a kid.

:offtopic: ATTN: DISchurner Hamilton fans

Baby Yoda and Hamilton music <3
Thank you - I'm having a stressful week and this is exactly what I needed this afternoon. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I don't have any Lowes offers. :( I do have a new Neiman Marcus $50 off $250. My Amex Offers are full of stores I've mostly never heard of before.

That's what I was thinking as well. But I did find quite a few of these shops at Disney Springs on my November visit.
I did get the Lowes offer, plus I just added to the authorized user card that my younger daughter has had for years. Another $100 in Disney gift cards for $80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter